Other criteria I should be considering...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erkle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I've just discovered this forum and it seems like there's some good advice being given, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm working on what schools to apply to and I've narrowed the list down to 25, which I think is too many. But at the same time, I'm scared to death of cutting any from my list! So I was wondering if there were any criteria that I have forgotten to consider that might narrow my list even further.

I've thought about (1) location, (2) cost, (3) how competitive my numbers are, (4) class size, (5) how classes are taught (lecture vs. PBL, etc.), (6) in-state vs. out-of-state, and have come up with the following 25 schools:

Stanford University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles
Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Boston University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine

I'm satisfied with my numbers (~3.96 GPA for both cumulative and BCPM, 39R MCAT, CA resident), but is this list too ambitious? What other big criteria do I need to consider? I'm afraid if I end up applying to all these schools I'm going to end up overloaded with applications to fill out and all of them may suffer as a result.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You said you looked at the curriculum, but did you look at the other graduation requirements for the schools? Yale for example requires a research thesis before you graduate. Some of the other schools are almost equally research heavy.

I think you have a good list of schools. There are upper-, mid-, and low-tier schools that pick a lot of OOS applicants, which is exactly what you want. 25 should not be too much to get you too stressed out, especially since you're from CA - if you keep getting interview invites right and left you can always withdraw from the schools you're less interested in attending (as long as you already have an acceptance). Your numbers look great, but what kind of ECs do you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is not too ambitious. It might actually be not ambitious enough. Stats aren't everything but, with numbers like those, you're in the driver's seat.

BU and Tufts are good (but not elite) schools and extremely expensive. Maybe you can replace them with Duke and Baylor. I think Baylor allows you to get in state tuition after one year.

Start with 25 schools and maybe not return secondaries or decline interviews if you feel overwhelmed. If you get into more than one school (which is likely), you might get some of them to throw some $$ your way in order to attend. Of course, don't do this until you have a couple acceptances (and submitted deposits) under your belt.

umm as far as ECs go i have ~100 hours of shadowing, 1 year of hospital volunteering, spring break program to provide medical relief to an impoverished latin american country, 1.5 years of research with a publication, some honors (phi beta kappa, deans list, etc.), and a year of being in the university's marching band

I think you have a good list of schools. There are upper-, mid-, and low-tier schools that pick a lot of OOS applicants, which is exactly what you want. 25 should not be too much to get you too stressed out, especially since you're from CA - if you keep getting interview invites right and left you can always withdraw from the schools you're less interested in attending (as long as you already have an acceptance). Your numbers look great, but what kind of ECs do you have?

umm as far as ECs go i have ~100 hours of shadowing, ~100 hours of hospital volunteering, spring break program to provide medical relief to an impoverished latin american country, 1.5 years of research with a publication, some honors (phi beta kappa, deans list, etc.), and a year of being in the university's marching band

I might get rid of georgetown or gw bc they might try to reject you because they get so many applicants and there's a good chance you're not going.