OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tushka is 25 miles north of durant. 45 miles south of mclaster

ahha...

I live north of t-town, in skiatook....hope to see ya at interviews...; )

Members don't see this ad.

yep would like early interview but its in osu's hands now so we get what they decide. no sense worrying about it

I just talked with a rep at OSU and she said to list ALL the schools even though they don't really look at it.

And as for the LORs... I had a brain fart. 3 letters from teachers and 1 from DO = 4. Duh!

There isn't room to list all 27 schools. I was able to fit around 6 but I assume that is sufficient. They have no way of verifying it anyways (according to AACOM they aren't even supposed to ask).

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the school yesterday and the admissions committee has not met yet this year. She didn't tell me when they would

I think it was middle of october before they met last year. Seems pretty late, but that's how they work. Don't worry to much when you see others posting their interview's/acceptances if OSU is your #1 just wait on it.

I think it was middle of october before they met last year. Seems pretty late, but that's how they work. Don't worry to much when you see others posting their interview's/acceptances if OSU is your #1 just wait on it.

That's good to know. Thanks for posting this.

anybody complete?

still waitin' on DO LOR...

What does everyone think about OSU moving some (most) of its residencies to St. Francis? Personally, I have worked as a licensed physical therapist assistant for the pink palace for nearly 5 yrs, and have found it to be an exemplary institution. The OU peds residents that already do rotations there love it.

how many resident spots were moved?

No exact details as of yet.

sounds like several....though it also sounds temporary, until ardent and OSU work out an agreement.

But, St. Francis just opened an amazing state-of-the-art children's hospital, that has already begun to attract very unique peds specialties. This may open some phenomenal opportunities for peds through OSU....not to mention its just a bigger and more diverse hospital..IMO

T

....not to mention its just a bigger and more diverse hospital..IMO
T

isnt st frans a major trauma center for state of oklahoma? would be great place to do er residency.

It is not a temporary move. Not all of the programs are going to SFH, although it looks like FM, IM, peds, and gen'l surgery are going there (peds already has their own service at SFH and surgery already had rotations there). The rest of us are in limbo at the moment. The administration of the school is working on everyone's placement.

ah...thanks for the info...DrMom.

St. Francis is a trauma power house. We recently added a specialized trauma icu..fantastic facility. We also have, IMHO, some of the best trauma surgeons in the nation: Dr.'s Katsis and Swenning.

Hope the "limbo" works out as a positive for you DrMom.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I heard at the meeting with the people in charge (and a little eavesdropping in the library) the main ones in limbo are radiology and anesthesiology. There isn't a DO anesthesiologist at St. Francis (the new one), so they have to work out where they are going to go. They said it should all be worked out in a couple weeks and that all the residents should be able to remain in the tulsa area. The OSU hospital is said to be completely shutting down, but there is a possibility that the new OU tulsa med school might take it over. I'm personally excited about st. francis, but I know it must be so hard/scary for the current residents. They seemed worried.

DO LOR went out today...should be complete Wed.

Everyone still treadin' water?

I am treading water and hoping aacomas gets their act together before end of next week. I think that'll be about on time for first interview invitations to be sent out.

I called the school Monday, and my DO LOR still isn't in! I feel bad calling my DO over and over to remind him, but it's stressing me out!

I know what you mean. I decided to have another DO LOR sent.

anyword on when the interview committie meets? Should be within the next few weeks.

They have already starting reviewing files and are going to start interviews in the middle of October.

so, interview invites have already gone out? (for oct.)

I called on Tuesday and Sarah Quinten said that they have not handed out interviews yet but maybe they have now.

They generally phone, and if they have started reviewing it can be anytime I think. Best of luck and thanks for the update.

Just talked to Mrs. Quinten, first interviews will be Oct. 15th and 17th.

good luck to all

i called to she said calls would go out next week. hope someone from snd gets firstround.

I just found out that I am application complete today! Hopefully I will be getting a call soon...

first time to post on this forum...but i always hate when people have news and dont divulge...
just got an interview today scheduled for the 17th...sarah called me this morning at around 9

I want to encourage all of you to keep up with the news on the residency/rotation sites move that is going on.

As an OSU grad and current resident, I have been a huge OSU proponent. I'm concerned, however with how this is being "fixed." Residency programs and medical student rotations will suffer. Despite all of the talk about this arrangement stabilizing the school and residencies, the school is not making decisions as if the SFH deal is stable.

first time to post on this forum...but i always hate when people have news and dont divulge...
just got an interview today scheduled for the 17th...sarah called me this morning at around 9

Congrats Bohica10!!!! When were you complete?

I was complete the first week of september...

Does anyone know how many interview dates there are for the first round?

Spoke to alumni of OSU med school last night, st frans and hillcrest will be getting the resident's and the move should be permanent.

Please keep in mind that not all of the residencies are taken care of. Also, the school has not explained how the residency spots will be funded (ie: how are they getting money to pay the residents/benefits/malpractice/etc past next year) or how they're getting these new residencies approved by the AOA (moving a residency = new program).

I'm in the middle of this (I am one of the residents affected) & I can assure you that this deal is not as clean & settled as the school is saying.

From what I heard the funding depends on the state legislature passing something like 9 million dollars for each year. They said at the meeting that they had no doubt (not sure how true that is) that they would be able to get it. They also said that the AOA had agreed to work very closely with st. fran and the school to get the residencies approved as they go.

considering the legislature has not followed through with other funding promises, this is far from secure.

The AOA and the specialty colleges were just notified of all of this last week, per my program director.

Is it true that OSU makes you sign a contract stating that you will practice for 5 years in Ohio? If it is true, what does it cost to buy out? I want to practice rural medicine and I know OSU is a good primary care school, but I don't want to necessarily be tied to one state, especially since I'm from Wisconsin and am also very interested in practicing in the UP.

Is it true that OSU makes you sign a contract stating that you will practice for 5 years in Ohio? If it is true, what does it cost to buy out? I want to practice rural medicine and I know OSU is a good primary care school, but I don't want to necessarily be tied to one state, especially since I'm from Wisconsin and am also very interested in practicing in the UP.

I think you are thinking of OUCOM, which is Ohio University in Ohio. OSU is Oklahoma State University, and while I am no expert I have never heard of OSU making you practice in Oklahoma for five years. Hope that helps! Try looking under the OUCOM thread :luck:

Ha, Ha! Sorry! All these initials are messing with my head! :laugh:

I'm kinda stuck on the last essay. What kind of answer did you guys put for the question: "Is there any additional information you would like the College to know about you?"? I feel like I've said everything.

I wrote about my wife, hobbies, and generally who I am and where I am from.

good luck,

T

Hey Dr. Mom, I'm posting for my husband (harleyman). I think what you're trying to tell everyone is falling on deaf ears. My husband is/has been a OSU resident and He has talked about trying to "spread the word" but he said no one would listen.
To all those out there considering OSU listen to Dr. Mom she's trying to help and she's in the middle of all this. Remember, the people that are telling you guys everything is ok are being PAID to say that. That's their job. Know this, that when businesses file for bankruptcy (not that OSU is filing for bankruptcy) the day before it's always business as usual.

Mrs. Harleyman

Hey Dr. Mom, I'm posting for my husband (harleyman). I think what you're trying to tell everyone is falling on deaf ears. My husband is/has been a OSU resident and He has talked about trying to "spread the word" but he said no one would listen.
To all those out there considering OSU listen to Dr. Mom she's trying to help and she's in the middle of all this. Remember, the people that are telling you guys everything is ok are being PAID to say that. That's their job. Know this, that when businesses file for bankruptcy (not that OSU is filing for bankruptcy) the day before it's always business as usual.

Mrs. Harleyman

Thanks for all the info Dr. Mom and Mrs. Harleyman, I had no idea what was going on, and I am definitely listening now :rolleyes: It really makes me weary about pursuing OSU, and I couldn't imagine being in your position....I hope everything works out and good luck :luck:

Hey all. With regards to what DrMom is saying, I work at OSU medical center and OSU is my #1 school I've applied to so I've been trying to get as much info/gossip on this issue as I can and she is very correct in saying the whole problem is not nearly as clean-cut and well worked out as the school is letting on. While I'm still very excited about hopefully going to school there everyone applying should make sure to be weary of Tulsa's current health care crisis. Who knows how bad or good this thing is going to get in the next 5 years.

I know that a significant number of OSU grads do their residency training in Tulsa but I don't see how a complete termination of Tulsa residencies would severely impact undergraduate medical education. Most medical school grads go hither and yon for residencies. Why should leaving Tulsa be a big deal?

Please explain to an ignorant old man.:oops:

Traditionally, OSU 3rd year medical students have done their core rotations (Internal Med, Internal Med Specialty, Surgery, and OB/Gyn) with those respective OSU residency programs...

If you're in the midst of residency, you cannot just go somewhere else to train. My program cease to exist December 31, 2008. We're the first on the chopping block. One other residency may have a similar outcome, but hopefully not. There are some big questions as to whether the other programs will pass accreditation once they move. On top of that, there is only enough funding to cover the residents for approx 1 year (maybe nearly 2) with no guarantee that money will show up. It is a bad sign for the med students that the school is treating existing residents like this.

For the medical students, an ideal setting for clinical rotations is an academic setting with attendings, residents, and fellows who are all in training and fostering a teaching-learning environment. It most definitely is not the same caliber of training to spend time in someone's clinic or working with a non-academic physician (yes there are good teachers in some private physicians out there, but it is really hit-and-miss). An academic setting not only fosters the learning environment, but it also draws in patients from the surrounding community which mean more cases, more interesting patients, etc. OSUMC was a referral center for much of NE Oklahoma. This definitely directly affects the quality of education for the medical students.

Premeds should be looking closely at the clinical education of any school they're looking at. MS3/4 are the most important part of your med school training (yes, Step 1 pass rates are impt, but you can't learn clinical practice from a book like you can the general sciences). Having a strong central training facility with strong residencies is a good sign in a school. Being sent hither-and-yon for core rotations (IM, Peds, Surg, OB) is a red flag for a med school.

Everybody still breathin'?

What do you like most about OSU-COM?

Personally, I really like the cordial and supportive nature of the students, faculty, and staff. I am from a family of rural farmers, dusk to dawn chores, and these just feel like good, honest, hard-workin' folk. I also like the amalgamation of research and practical. Finally, OSU has a strong emphasis on prevention, not only with didactics (epidemiology/HPDP, but also with action...telemedicine/community involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.