Temple or VCU (or GW)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoMechEng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received offers from Temple and VCU, which blows my mind because I had my mind set on reapplying. So, I never imagined having to choose between schools. I like both and could go either way. I would greatly appreciate any advice or opinions on where to go.

Also, I'm wait listed at GW. Should I bother hoping to get pulled from the alternate list with offers from Temple and VCU? GW would be nice because it's closer to home (Baltimore).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Although my opinion may be a bit biased because I go there for undergrad, I would go with VCU. Everytime I go to one of their open houses or pre-med events I am continually impressed with how dedicated they are to their students, and the students seem genuinely happy there. Not to mention the amazing, huge hospital (with the new 232-bed critical care hospital opening in the Fall) and urban setting.

They are also very focused on Step I prep, with a faculty member who individually meets with each student and develops a personalized study plan. Congrats on your acceptances and good luck wherever you choose to god! :luck:

I received offers from Temple and VCU, which blows my mind because I had my mind set on reapplying. So, I never imagined having to choose between schools. I like both and could go either way. I would greatly appreciate any advice or opinions on where to go.

Also, I'm wait listed at GW. Should I bother hoping to get pulled from the alternate list with offers from Temple and VCU? GW would be nice because it's closer to home (Baltimore).

Thanks!

I don't know anything about Temple, but VCU is a quality school. And if you prefer GW, be sure to let them know! Telling them that you have other offers but would rather come to GW (and why) could definitely help get you off of the waitlist. But I wouldn't make your main reason that you just want to be close to home. Really, Richmond and Philly aren't that far from Baltimore either.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all Congrats! I thought I was gonna hve to reapply until 3 weeks ago, when I got multiple acceptances, so I share your joy. Both are excellent schools so you can't go wrong. I'm partial to Temple cause of their new med building, and they are in Philly. Which one is cheaper for you? either way I think you will be close enough to home. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I have an Excel chart comparing Temple and VCU and the more I look at it, the more similar they look (I think I uploaded the file...). Temple has a new med school building, VCU has a new hospital. Both have doctoring courses and preceptorship opportunities. There is a slight tuition difference ($7,438 for 2007-08), but the gap closes due to the cost of living.

I'm bothered that I'm not in Philadelphia during my third and fourth year at Temple (St. Luke's Hospital is 56.7 mi from campus). But, I'm really attracted by the Clinical Simulation and Skills Center. I don't recall seeing any clinical simulation toys at VCU (i.e. SimMan, SimBaby, Harvey) during my interview, but the third year tour guides were completely comfortable interacting with patients. Basically, I'm looking for something extraordinary to seal the deal so I can stop tormenting myself about where to go so I can enjoy the fact that I am going.

Attachments

• comparison.xls
    20 KB · Views: 218
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I have an Excel chart comparing Temple and VCU and the more I look at it, the more similar they look (I think I uploaded the file...). Temple has a new med school building, VCU has a new hospital. Both have doctoring courses and preceptorship opportunities. There is a slight tuition difference ($7,438 for 2007-08), but the gap closes due to the cost of living.

I'm bothered that I'm not in Philadelphia during my third and fourth year at Temple (St. Luke's Hospital is 56.7 mi from campus). But, I'm really attracted by the Clinical Simulation and Skills Center. I don't recall seeing any clinical simulation toys at VCU (i.e. SimMan, SimBaby, Harvey) during my interview, but the third year tour guides were completely comfortable interacting with patients. Basically, I'm looking for something extraordinary to seal the deal so I can stop tormenting myself about where to go so I can enjoy the fact that I am going.
As far as "simulation toys" at VCU, I know they have at least a few. I think they may be housed in the Egyptian building (don't know if they took you upstairs). They are building a brand new medical sciences building (West Hospital is going to be torn down) which will include an entire simulation lab and more classrooms, but it's not opening until around 2014.

EDIT: I just saw your Excel spreadsheet and can fill in one more blank: their day only goes from 8 am to 12 pm, with FCM one afternoon a week (I think?). Where did you find all of that information?

Thanks chad5871! :) I only saw the lecture hall in the Egyptian Building. It seems like Temple for now, VCU if I were admitted two years from now, although the personalized prep at VCU for the Boards is tempting. (This will probably change a million times before I finally have to notify Temple and VCU). I found the information online and in the Princeton Review's "Best 162 Medical Schools." The title is somewhat misleading since there only are 162 med schools in North America (allo and osteo). But, their book provides info not found in AMCAS' "Medical School Admission Requirements." I guessed some of the entries from my notes during interview day, so it couldn't hurt to double-check for yourself and add your own notes if the spreadsheet helpful at all.

As far as "simulation toys" at VCU, I know they have at least a few. I think they may be housed in the Egyptian building (don't know if they took you upstairs). They are building a brand new medical sciences building (West Hospital is going to be torn down) which will include an entire simulation lab and more classrooms, but it's not opening until around 2014.

EDIT: I just saw your Excel spreadsheet and can fill in one more blank: their day only goes from 8 am to 12 pm, with FCM one afternoon a week (I think?). Where did you find all of that information?
I Vote VCU for that one reason....8-5 is a long time

I Vote VCU for that one reason....8-5 is a long time

Most of the med students at VCU told me that school for them is like a full-time job. You get there at 8 and you're in class until 12. Then you grab some lunch and hit the books at 12:30 or 1:00. Then, on a regular day (i.e. not right before a test), you are done studying by about 5:00, so you can go home and hang out.

I would think that this sort of schedule would result in less stress - all of the students at VCU seem pretty chill.

Last year I had this same decision between Temple and VCU and had chosen VCU but wound up at a different school all together. I'm from out west and the personality of the surrounding area at VCU seemed a lot better to me than in Philadelphia. I really didn't enjoy my visit to the city, the school was fine, but the city totally turned me off. This was pretty important to me because I'm married with a daughter and I needed an area where I would be comfortable and happy to have my family live for four years.

Beyond living area, VCU won as a school and looking back now as an MSII (I finished my last final this morning, so I guess I can call myself an MSII) that decision would have been the best one. My school generally only has class in the morning, 2-3 hours, and then I study with a couple of buddies the rest of the time. I really enjoy this set up a lot better than the few days when we have lecture for 5 hours. I couldn't handle the amount of lecture Temple has scheduled.

During the interview process I too gave a lot of weight to clinical sim labs but now know that even if you supposedly have one of the best around, that doesn't mean you'll use it. There were a few times when I used it and it was fun, but really you'll find out that they're not that important in the first couple of years. I suppose some places might have them highly intergrated into the program, but it's not until later on that most places have students use them. So then VCU's new stuff would be ready just in time for you could take advantage of it. I can't remember any other specifics, I just generally felt better at VCU and thought the curriculim looked better for me.

Most of the med students at VCU told me that school for them is like a full-time job. You get there at 8 and you're in class until 12. Then you grab some lunch and hit the books at 12:30 or 1:00. Then, on a regular day (i.e. not right before a test), you are done studying by about 5:00, so you can go home and hang out.

I would think that this sort of schedule would result in less stress - all of the students at VCU seem pretty chill.

awesome, that schedule doesn't sound too bad! perhaps med school won't be as deadly as i thought?

awesome, that schedule doesn't sound too bad! perhaps med school won't be as deadly as i thought?

I hear it's not as nightmarish as people make it out to be - but it can get extremely busy and very stressful. The students there tell me that sometimes they'll study for 12 hours straight and not think it's a big deal... But in general I think the workload is definitely doable. One good thing about VCU is that they ease you into the workload rather than throwing you straight in, headfirst. I'm sure other schools do as well but some med students have told me it was not too hard to get adjusted at VCU. :thumbup:

I think VCU/MCV has so much to offer. It is a very well respected medical school with a proud history.

The hospital system is enormous and makes it very easy to get involved in any area of medicine and research. The facilities at VCU are top notch and are constantly being improved. As of right now, the new critical care hospital is almost complete and the 2nd medical sciences building is well under way-set to be done this fall 2008. VCU is growing at a ridiculous rate, i know that a new school of medicine building will be coming up in the future as well. Here's a link to the master plan: http://www.vcu.edu/fmd/masterplan_final2004.pdf

The faculty and professors at VCU is definitely the school's strongpoint. I went to undergrad at VCU and worked with many medical school professors all of which are simply the best people ever. Dr. Costanzo, the physio prof, writes the physiology textbooks used nationwide and meets with each med student individually to help them prepare for USMLE Step 1. The schedule at VCU is also very awesome, it allows ample of free time for self study, shadowing, research or any other activities. Most medical schools are trying to steer away from the traditional long lecture days like the ones at GW and temple.

The match list at VCU is also very impressive http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/studentactivities/matchstats.html
the sign of a medical school with a strong reputation

Here's a link to some VCU medical center videos created by the student run VCU HD team: http://www.vcutvhd.vcu.edu/shows/medicalcenter/trauma.html

VCU is a great place! I was also considering GW (another great school) but I turned it down when I got accepted to VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... I don't remember a lot of these details from my interview day. I had first-time student guides. Ending my day by 5 pm sounds awesome since I normally finished studying by 12 am during undergrad (I was pre-med and mechanical engineering). Hmm... I'm beginning to consider VCU now over Temple.

Just my two cents as I went to Temple.
1. You would be hard pressed to find a better clinical experience than the one offered at Temple. The North Philly inner city patient population tends to be pretty sick and the experience you get at Temple during your 3rd and 4th years is one of the best out there. Across the board it is recognized as one a great school when it comes to training clinicians.
2. With that being said I felt the basic sciences of the first two years were average, and if you are looking to do a lot of research it is probably not the school for you.
3. I did all of my rotations (except for an away elective) within 20 minutes of Philly. You don't have to go to St. Lukes if you don't want to.

Just my two cents as I went to Temple.
1. You would be hard pressed to find a better clinical experience than the one offered at Temple. The North Philly inner city patient population tends to be pretty sick and the experience you get at Temple during your 3rd and 4th years is one of the best out there. Across the board it is recognized as one a great school when it comes to training clinicians.
2. With that being said I felt the basic sciences of the first two years were average, and if you are looking to do a lot of research it is probably not the school for you.
3. I did all of my rotations (except for an away elective) within 20 minutes of Philly. You don't have to go to St. Lukes if you don't want to.

Shhh. Don't listen to him... You don't need Temple... VCU sounds great....

/biased... Good luck! :luck:

just out of curiousity... i have these two choices two, but i wasn't sure when i have to make a decision by (accepted at temple last thurs.) I know may 15 was when we had to end multiple acceptances, any suggestions on what I should do if I'm still deciding/WAITING ON FINANCIAL AID? Thanks!

I had 7 days to reply to Temple and 10 days to pay the $100 deposit vs. 2 weeks for VCU. I accepted Temple's offer so I can deliberate for a little longer. I e-mailed both about fin aid and only Temple replied. Temple has a few institutional scholarships left and they're awarded by the med school. I think loans make up the bulk of aid at both schools, so don't wait too long to find out. It helps if you're a state resident (unfortunately, I live in Maryland). Good luck deciding!

just out of curiousity... i have these two choices two, but i wasn't sure when i have to make a decision by (accepted at temple last thurs.) I know may 15 was when we had to end multiple acceptances, any suggestions on what I should do if I'm still deciding/WAITING ON FINANCIAL AID? Thanks!

Call the school you were recently accepted to (Temple) and ask them how fast they can get you the financial aid letter, and let them know that you need it ASAP because you're holding another acceptance and need to make a decision. Once you get a ball park answer, call the other school and let them know that you just got off a waitlist, and ask them for an extension to decide because you're waiting on the financial aid letter. They should give you the time you'll need.

I finally decided to accept the offer from VCU. I'm interested in doing research and my fin aid package includes a merit scholarship + loans vs. only loans from Temple. My interview experience was also more enjoyable at VCU. Thank you to everyone for your comments! ^^

I finally decided to accept the offer from VCU. I'm interested in doing research and my fin aid package includes a merit scholarship + loans vs. only loans from Temple. My interview experience was also more enjoyable at VCU. Thank you to everyone for your comments! ^^

Awesome! Congratulations and welcome to VCU!

Awesome!! Hello Classmate!

Both are good schools, but temple is closer to maryland. Family matters a lot in medschool and if you can be closer to your support system, go for it.