CC Courses and DS Admissions-A Guide to what DS accept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion regarding whether or not ds accept prerequisite courses taken at a CC. The information used was obtained from the 2008 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. A few schools have special notes regarding AP courses.

The advisability of taking a prerequisite course at a CC is a function of course content, that is, whether or not the course will meet the pre dent needs. In general, science courses (general chemistry, physics and to a lesser extent bio, organic, and biochemistry) will be offered to at least 3 distinct groups:

1. science (chemistry) courses designed for chemistry/science/engineering majors
2. science (chemistry) courses designed for predent, premed, and pre-pharmacy majors
3. science (chemistry) courses designed for non science majors (nursing, education, etc.)

For pre dent requirements it is wise to take a course that is at least designed for the pre allied health (excluding nursing), otherwise, a student might find himself/herself inadequately prepared when it comes to DAT. One would be wise to ascertain that a CC course is transferable to a university at least in the subgroup mentioned above. For those intending to follow into a science field, it is best to take courses in a major at the university one will ultimately be attending.

File updated 11-4-9

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• CC and DS Admission 2009.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,767
Last edited:
uhoh, so if i took two summer classes at my community college (calc and first half of physics) does that mean i shouldnt bother applying to those schools? NYU was my first choice :(. Would they just toss the application do you think, or maybe say I have to retake those courses at a 4 year before enrollment? I did get an A+ in the second semester of physics at my 4 year college. :scared: now im scared.

uhoh, so if i took two summer classes at my community college (calc and first half of physics) does that mean i shouldnt bother applying to those schools? NYU was my first choice :(. Would they just toss the application do you think, or maybe say I have to retake those courses at a 4 year before enrollment? I did get an A+ in the second semester of physics at my 4 year college. :scared: now im scared.

I'm thinking the NYU one is a typo b/c it contradicts itself. It says prereq's not allowed but then has a limit.

Great post doc! This is one we'll be linking many future questions to!

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU must be a typo b/c they accepted me with the majority of my prereqs done at a CC.

Hey SanOnofre2002 - is that true? You really got excepted to NYU with pre-reqs taken at a CC? Did you have a killer DAT or something? Or does NYU really not care about the CC thing?

kind of funny how the top schools (Harvard, Columbia, Penn, UCLA, UCSF) don't care much about the CC classes while the so called low-tier schools (Tufts, Temple, BU, Howard, Missou ) hate the CC classes.

Yes I am too scared looking at this.

Too many schools do not accept AP credit... Does math qualify under the AP pre-reqs? or under AP electives?

kind of funny how the top schools (Harvard, Columbia, Penn, UCLA, UCSF) don't care much about the CC classes while the so called low-tier schools (Tufts, Temple, BU, Howard, Missou ) hate the CC classes.

agreed! Yes it is funny, I think most of good schools look at the total package not just the place you have done with your courses. adding to your post I think "Howard" is only school requires bachlor's degree!!! and "Tufts" is only school doesn't accept CC courses at all!!!

WTH!!! i finshed my gen.chem and calculus(math) at community college!
does that mean i can't apply to NYU,BU,temple the huge class private schools?

WTH!!! i finshed my gen.chem and calculus(math) at community college!
does that mean i can't apply to NYU,BU,temple the huge class private schools?
I'd call schools to verify the policy. As I said before, NYU took me with a lot of my prereqs done at a CC. Tufts I've heard is strict and will not accept any.

agreed! Yes it is funny, I think most of good schools look at the total package not just the place you have done with your courses. adding to your post I think "Howard" is only school requires bachlor's degree!!! and "Tufts" is only school doesn't accept CC courses at all!!!

totally agree with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking the NYU one is a typo b/c it contradicts itself. It says prereq's not allowed but then has a limit.

Great post doc! This is one we'll be linking many future questions to!

The limit refers to electives.

no one at Temple mentioned anything to me about my CC science courses and how they would not accept me with CC courses...I agree with the others...Call the schools...

Does anyone know if IB credit is regarded the same as AP credit for this situation?

Has anyone called the schools to confirm yet?

I just came across this thread & almost wish I hadn't!!

Does anyone have any updated info on NYU? Do they take AP credits?

I placed out of 2 semesters of bio & 1 physics. As a BioEngineering major, I've already taken upper level courses in both bio & physics. Would I have to go back & take the intro classes? I knew that dent & med schools won't accept AP credit for chem, but this is the first I'm hearing about bio & physics.

Any additional info is appreciated!! Thanks

I had friends who took courses at cc and they got admission to NYU. I think it is either typo or NYU admission doesn't really care as long as your grades and DAT scores are competitive.

Question, when taking physics at a CC or 4-year do we have to take the physics with calculus (the one for engineering) or just basic physics?

Question, when taking physics at a CC or 4-year do we have to take the physics with calculus (the one for engineering) or just basic physics?

For ds non calculus based physics is usually enough. Before enrolling, you should decide what your major is likely to be lest you find yourself with a calculus based physics as a requirement (e.g. chemistry, engineering).

Last edited:
So how strict are these? Is it still worth applying to these schools that supposedly don't accept AP prereq credit? I have AP credit for physics I, calc. I (took calc II at my university), statistics, and got out of 1st year english with my SAT scores. It would seem kind of silly to go back and take these intro classes after I've already completed much more difficult courses...right?

So how strict are these? Is it still worth applying to these schools that supposedly don't accept AP prereq credit? I have AP credit for physics I, calc. I (took calc II at my university), statistics, and got out of 1st year english with my SAT scores. It would seem kind of silly to go back and take these intro classes after I've already completed much more difficult courses...right?

Some schools will give credit for classes via AP scores. If this isn't an option, then you may just have to suck it up and take the courses again if you have to...

MWU requires Anatomy class with lab.
if i am accepted to the program, can i take online class?

There seems to be some confusion regarding whether or not ds accept prerequisite courses taken at a CC. The information used was obtained from the 2008 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. A few schools have special notes regarding AP courses.

The advisability of taking a prerequisite course at a CC is a function of course content, that is, whether or not the course will meet the pre dent needs. In general, science courses (general chemistry, physics and to a lesser extent bio, organic, and biochemistry) will be offered to at least 3 distinct groups:

1. science (chemistry) courses designed for chemistry/science/engineering majors
2. science (chemistry) courses designed for predent, premed, and pre-pharmacy majors
3. science (chemistry) courses designed for non science majors (nursing, education, etc.)

For pre dent requirements it is wise to take a course that is at least designed for the pre allied health (excluding nursing), otherwise, a student might find himself/herself inadequately prepared when it comes to DAT. One would be wise to ascertain that a CC course is transferable to a university at least in the subgroup mentioned above. For those intending to follow into a science field, it is best to take courses in a major at the university one will ultimately be attending.

Code:
Community College Acceptance
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]   Prereq    Electiv    Limit    Max    Ap prer    AP Elec.
[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red][B]Temple    No    Yes    Yes    6    No    Yes[/B][/COLOR].

I have taken some bio and chm at cc and I still received an interview invite at Temple just now. So, don't take these for granted. There are exceptions!!!

I have taken some bio and chm at cc and I still received an interview invite at Temple just now. So, don't take these for granted. There are exceptions!!!

There are exceptions, and usually a 3.8 and a 22 help in that department.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a little bit confused...
As an example, on UCLA SOD website in prereqs it says:

Course/Curriculum Requirements

# of years: Formal minimum 3; majority have 4 # of units: 90 semester units or 135 quarter units * Limitations on accredited community college course work: only 70 semester or 105 quarter units will be accepted.

I have completed 196 quarter units towards my BS in biochem (in Univ of Wash they require 196 for biochem). Out of those, I took 78 in UW and 118 in a community college.

Based on the above info, I deduced that UCLA only looks at applicants who completed no more than 105 quarter units out of 135 total that they require. That means one could theoretically get in if he/she has 105 cc units and 30 university units, right?

And that makes me eligible then, right?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the website for UCLA SOD prereqs:

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345#requirements

Look what UOP says:

Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college. Students should submit a copy of an advanced standing evaluation form provided by the four-year college or a course equivalency statement from the community college.

That is encouraging, I think. Probably many schools have something like that as well

Err, so whats up with Temple? I took my gen and O chem at a college. Should I or should I not apply there?

Call them up and ask.

I checked their website and it said nothing about cc work. It just said the prerecs had to be from a college or univesity. I was really thinking the importance of the DAT was to show your knowledge on the sciences- regardless of where you took the classes. I'm taking biochem at a university now, and really don't want to have to retake my gen and ochem classes all over again.

The one for Howard must have changed, or isn't a hard rule. I took Gchem, Ochem, and Physics at my CC before transferring and I still got in.

Howard has not changed their "rule". Since ds make the rules they can just as easily ignore them. To put it in perspective, they are not about to lose a good applicant simply because he/she took prereqs at a CC.

Does anyone with CC credits know if Boston University still takes CC prerequisites regardless of what this chart says?

Look what UOP says:

Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college. Students should submit a copy of an advanced standing evaluation form provided by the four-year college or a course equivalency statement from the community college.

That is encouraging, I think. Probably many schools have something like that as well

Nice, so do you think I can do this for every ds? I took 2 yrs worth of classes at CC.

So... Do BU and Temple accept some CC prerequisites?

does it matter if I took classes not science related at cc? (like history, english, calculus) I wanted to apply to tufts and BU, but now I'm thinking I can't?

does it matter if I took classes not science related at cc? (like history, english, calculus) I wanted to apply to tufts and BU, but now I'm thinking I can't?

Other than the English, which is often listed as a pre-req, I don't think it would matter, but you should just call and ask for a real answer.

no one at Temple mentioned anything to me about my CC science courses and how they would not accept me with CC courses...I agree with the others...Call the schools...

My friend is in the Temple DS right now and she took some CC science courses. You'll be okay.

My friend is in the Temple DS right now and she took some CC science courses. You'll be okay.

lol some people do not read the dates on threads.....that post was in may of 2008, a little late for your advice :laugh:

lol some people do not read the dates on threads.....that post was in may of 2008, a little late for your advice :laugh:

Lmao! I had 2 tabs open, thinking this was the more recent one and the other was the archived one. Oh well.

it might have changed recently, but i know someone who got into Tufts 3 years ago even after taking 1yr full biology sequence at a CC. she told me she made her case though that she was competitive enough by taking advanced biology classes at her 4-year institution (and did well).

Well, this is all pretty silly to me. Taking most of my prerequisites at a two year college is one of the best things I ever did! The low price coupled with small class sizes was a win for me though, and I got a 24 to prove it! :D

Well, this is all pretty silly to me. Taking most of my prerequisites at a two year college is one of the best things I ever did! The low price coupled with small class sizes was a win for me though, and I got a 24 to prove it! :D

Exceptions a rule do not make.

I agree with you Tomato. I took gen chem/bio at a CC taught by moonlighting four year university staff. The coursework meets all the same requirements as the four year i'm going to now. On top of that I'm consistently getting A's in my upper division bio courses @ university.
I wonder if this is some kind of class warfare.