Books for pre-vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriends birthday is coming up and I want to buy her a book or two or five that deals with being a vet. Any book suggestions for a pre-vet student applying to vet schools this cycle? (Also, she's really into equine so an equine book would suffice.) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a couple suggestions. My mom gave me a book a couple years ago called The Horse Doctor Is In by Brent Kelley, DVM. He presents horse health care using stories from his time as an equine vet in Kentucky. Also, one of my all time favorite books is Most of My Patients Are Animals by Robert M. Miller, DVM. It is basically just the story of his time as a mixed animal vet in a pretty rural area. He writes really well and it depicts pretty much every emotion imaginable so I'd highly recommend that one! (and you can get super cheap used copies on Amazon)

All Creatures Great and Small is pretty cliche, but I think most pre-vet students have read it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I suppose it's a classic. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell Me Where it Hurts just came out in hardback (I think -- remembering from brief flip-through in B&N -- it's a sort of memoir from a doctor at Angell Memorial), and Animal Hospital by Stephen Sawicki is another book about life at the same hospital. Temple Grandin has an interesting behavior book called Animals in Translation.

All Creatures Great and Small is pretty cliche, but I think most pre-vet students have read it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I suppose it's a classic. :)

I LOVE James Herriot. I recommend all of his books - they are pretty much responsible for me going to vet school next year. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Personally, I wonder if adcoms roll their eyes if someone mentions these books in an interview. I mean, it has to come up... do they hear it a lot? Is it an okay thing to mention? I wonder...

At any rate, I wouldn't include it in my personal statement. Haha.

Personally, I wonder if adcoms roll their eyes if someone mentions these books in an interview. I mean, it has to come up... do they hear it a lot? Is it an okay thing to mention? I wonder...

At any rate, I wouldn't include it in my personal statement. Haha.

haha, i included it briefly in my supplemental for illinois where you had to write a letter to your parents... something along the lines of "and you're responsible for me irrational desire to be an english 1930's vet" but that was it...

"Tell Me Where It Hurts"

"No Dogs in Heaven?: Scene From the Life of a Country Veterinarian"

"Marley and Me"

"Winterdance"

"Two Wheels Through Terror"

If Wishes Were Horses
Tell Me Where It Hurts
A Heritage of Care: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
The JH books, of course
and the JH biography, I mentioned on another thread.

I know I didn't make this thread, but thanks everyone for these suggestions. I've never heard of any of these books prior to this, and I'll definitely be hitting up the library this weekend.

What did everyone think of Wishes for Horses?
I read it years ago and it sorta scared me away from vet school for awhile, as silly as that sounds. Is the book as scary as I remember?

Members don't see this ad :)
A Country Practice: Scenes from the Veterinary Life (by Douglas Whynott)

"Tell Me Where it Hurts"- Just finished this and it is so good!

I read it years ago and it sorta scared me away from vet school for awhile, as silly as that sounds. Is the book as scary as I remember?

LOL.....I didn't find it to be scary when I read it. :)The author had some interesting personal situations through vet school (who doesn't, though?). I enjoyed the book, even though it's a bit outdated now. It was the only book I could really find where someone had kept track of their experiences through vet school.

I LOVE "tell me where it hurts" I am reading that now for summer fun and I can't put it down!! AWESOME BOOK!!!!

AHH!
"If Wishes Were Horses: The Education of a Veterinarian" by Loretta Gage, Nancy Gage

It might be hard to find, but yeah, I recommend anyone interested in going to vet school to read this. Aggiedonk, it scared me away for a few years too, but I think everyone who wants to apply should be fully prepared for what they're going to face. Try finding this book because it doesn't just give cute vet stories, it really goes into the whole application/acceptence process too.

Thanks Badger Girl and SweaTeaPie! maybe I'll venture to read it again. If I get scared I'll just hide it under the bed this time!:)

Tell Me Where it Hurts just came out in hardback (I think -- remembering from brief flip-through in B&N -- it's a sort of memoir from a doctor at Angell Memorial), and Animal Hospital by Stephen Sawicki is another book about life at the same hospital. Temple Grandin has an interesting behavior book called Animals in Translation.

I just finished Animal Hospital and I have to say, it was a really good book. Fairly short, but worth the $6 for a used copy of amazon. Some feel good parts, some sad parts, and gave me a feel for a few vets I would love to meet in real life.

I am currently reading "If wishes were horses" and it is great. I NEVER have time to read anything other than textbooks, but I just love this book. If you are a "non-trad", you must read it!

I started reading If Wishes Were Horses at the recommendation of this thread (you can get it super cheap on Amazon by the way), and I agree that it's a reality check. Sure it may be a bit outdated, but she doesn't hold anything back.

I think I'm identifying with it very well because I'm sharing a lot of her insecurities.

I just got three of these books (If Wishes were Horses, Animal Hospital, and Where does it hurt?) on Amazon for just over $15! I think one of them was just one cent, does this sound right? You can't get ripped off by Amazon (the third party sellers on Amazon), can you? It just seems like too good of a price.

I just got three of these books (If Wishes were Horses, Animal Hospital, and Where does it hurt?) on Amazon for just over $15! I think one of them was just one cent, does this sound right? You can't get ripped off by Amazon (the third party sellers on Amazon), can you? It just seems like too good of a price.

If its an older book, the seller just wants to get rid of it. Sometimes, they can ship it for less than the amazon shipping fee, and they'll make a little off of it. Not much, but some.

I think I paid $.01 +3.99 shipping or something along those lines for Animal Hospital.

"Tell Me Where it Hurts" I paid full price for, but it was a good book and worth it in my mind.

I've got a couple suggestions. Also, one of my all time favorite books is Most of My Patients Are Animals by Robert M. Miller, DVM. It is basically just the story of his time as a mixed animal vet in a pretty rural area. He writes really well and it depicts pretty much every emotion imaginable so I'd highly recommend that one! (and you can get super cheap used copies on Amazon)

oh my gosh!! i love this book! i read it before i decided to go pre-vet....and it was just totally fun and inspiring....i laughed and cried when reading this book

I checked out The Horse Doctor is In and Marley & Me from the local lib... tell you what I think after I've read them. I'd better hurry too, classes start in two weeks...

I think I paid $.01 +3.99 shipping or something along those lines for Animal Hospital.

"Tell Me Where it Hurts" I paid full price for, but it was a good book and worth it in my mind.

Yeah I think that's what I did too. :)