Just starting second year, want to start studying early...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flaxmoore

StealthDoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've a summer with a steady 9-5 job and some time to burn, and I'd like to start studying for Step I early.

I've noticed a lot of second years packing the First Aid for the USMLE, so I figure that's a good move, but what of Goljan's Rapid Review for the USMLE? I'd like to study steadily and often, but I'd also like the book to be a decent resource for the year itself, if that makes any sense.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have to force feed myself information right now . . . 2nd year is a looooong year--You could learn some now, but you're gonna forget it soon enough

I don't know. I wish I had put some time in with biochem and phys reviews. Maybe read a review book or two on each subject, if not a full text.

I have to force feed myself information right now . . . 2nd year is a looooong year--You could learn some now, but you're gonna forget it soon enough

I agree with this. It is honestly a waste of time because you're going to forget it anyways. Its all about the crammation, at least with biochem. Hopefully your M2 courses will incorporate a good amount of phys with path / pathophys so that you can refresh your memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most sound thing you can do to prepare for this beast it seems is to do as well as you can during second year. I kicked it up a knotch from first year to second year and I am VERY glad I did. The test is very pathology intensive and if you do well and actually learn the material reviewing it will be a piece of cake.

I know it sounds very cliche to say that doing well in classes will prepare you for boards the best, but I have found that this is the key! (n=1)

Doing this is a complete waste of time and I seriously doubt it will improve your score. The best thing you can do to prepare in second year is to learn the material really well and listen to Goljan audio. I also suggest using every system to review the physiology and anatomy. Doing anything in the summer will just be an exercise in futility which will likely lead to burnout.

At the very least:

-start figuring out what books you will use and look over some Step 1 study schedules.

-look over Step 1 books in your library or local bookstore.

-go over your 1st year notes, books etc. and decide what you can throw in the garbage, sell, or keep for future review.

Stress free and at least you are doing something.

What did you do to "kick it up a notch?" Please give details of how you studied. Thanks!
For me (I was a non-science, psychology major), the major difference between first and second year was that test questions now required more analytical thinking and less memorize and regurgitate (which I am not the best at).

I know for some of the science majors in my class, they had been used to memorizing and regurgitating throughout their undergraduate years. They were the ones who had to adjust more to second year. For me, I was happy that I was finally being able to think about actual medicine versus abstract science concepts.

Anyhow, that is what motivated me to actually study alot more during second year, because I was excited about what I was learning!

Specifically, I would read Daddy Robbins once through just to get an general outline in my mind of what were studying. Then I would read Baby Robbins once through to figure out the important topics in the midst of all the minutiae that Daddy Robbins through at me. Finally in class, I would take the chapter notes (these were handed down from previous second year class) and add in whatever the lecturing pathologist thought was important (as these were likely to be test questions!).

Anyhow I hope this helps. Pathology is one of my strongest subjects as I prepare for my USMLE on Thursday and COMLEX the following Monday, and I attribute my success to preparation throughout second year (my worst subjects are the ones from first year that I wasn't as diligent in studying!!!).

Doing this is a complete waste of time and I seriously doubt it will improve your score. The best thing you can do to prepare in second year is to learn the material really well and listen to Goljan audio. I also suggest using every system to review the physiology and anatomy. Doing anything in the summer will just be an exercise in futility which will likely lead to burnout.

How does one get the Goljan materials?

Guess I'll start looking. I'm not going to be studying intensely for now, just enough that I've seen some of the stuff before.

You should focus on doing well in class. Learn your new material thoroughly the first time so you don't have to put as much effort into re-learning it come board prep.

Annotate your First Aid as the year goes along.

If thats still not enough for you (it will), then you can annotate your first year stuff into FA as well (nobody gets around to doing this during the regular semester).

Guess I'll start looking. I'm not going to be studying intensely for now, just enough that I've seen some of the stuff before.
I do think the Goljan lectures would've been nice, and you can definitely use Rapid Review Path during the year. If you haven't taken micro yet, Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple is good.

After expansive internet searching, I'm looking toward the book versions of the Goljan materials. What subjects should I focus on? I see Path and Biochem, as well as an older edition for the USMLE. Any of those three? All of them? All of them with Clinical Micro and FA?

After expansive internet searching, I'm looking toward the book versions of the Goljan materials. What subjects should I focus on? I see Path and Biochem, as well as an older edition for the USMLE. Any of those three? All of them? All of them with Clinical Micro and FA?

I only used RR Path but usually when people are talking about Goljan, they mean his audio which is not available via the legit channels right now but is absolutely invaluable to board prep.

Makes sense. I just ordered the '06 FA from Amazon, and I'll correct what errors have been found and annotate it with my own randomness.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought the '08 FA was better than '06. Some of my friends have it, and it doesn't have a lot of the tables and lists that the '08 one has.

Depends on your school's curriculum wouldn't it? Alot of people say wait until second year, those courses matter more for the boards. But that depends on what classes you're taking second year. Not every school's curriculum is the same. That said, I feel regardless of your school's curriculum the best way to prepare this summer is to go through FA + RR Path and annotate subjects you've covered during 1st year classes. Then once you actually start cramming for the test you won't be wasting timing making your notes. You'll have most of your annotations, tables, and figures ready to go.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought the '08 FA was better than '06. Some of my friends have it, and it doesn't have a lot of the tables and lists that the '08 one has.

No need for the OP to buy the much more expensive 08 version, since he'll need the 09 version for his test to have the most up to date version.