What's the lowest %correct you've seen in UW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, since only 9% of people (5 answer choices total) got the one right about ceftriaxone enhancing the effect of warfarin on competitive antagonism of vit k clotting factors . . .

Wondering if anyone else has seen any lower?

Members don't see this ad.

That's the lowest I've seen too. But seriously, those questions kind of make me mad from a Q-bank that we're paying for. If a question asks something that people aren't doing significantly better (sometimes worse) than guessing, step 1 isn't going to test it because it is statistically a poor question and won't separate the people that know their stuff from those that don't. Why are we wasting time learning things that won't be on the exam? They should drop those questions and replace them with something better.

I've seen 8% on one. It was in Biochem / GI, you had to identify the enzyme deficient in secondary lactase deficiency (beta-galactosidase). I'm still confused. :confused:

I saw a 9% on a different one, and the question asking about the control group for the study about the children with leukemia in the city with the big bad factory had an atrocious rate as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If only 9% of people get a question the correct answer isn't really correct or there is a really, really misleading distractor.

I get the 10-50% questions right most of the time but I'm hit or miss on the ones that are 60-75ish. What does that mean? I'm a lucky *****?

If only 9% of people get a question the correct answer isn't really correct or there is a really, really misleading distractor.

I get the 10-50% questions right most of the time but I'm hit or miss on the ones that are 60-75ish. What does that mean? I'm a lucky *****?
you probably overthink them when they're easier

I've noticed several where the average was below random guessing. Most of the time it is because the question is just horribly written - usually because in the attempt to leave out key clues such that you have to "know more" to get to the correct answer, they left the question with multiple equally or nearly so correct choices. Or, at least, because of the way the information was left out the remaining pieces almost exactly describe another condition that was unintended in the original question.

Sometimes it is because the mechanism is very obscure, and people tend to guess something that seems a little more familiar even if they have no clue what the correct answer really is. Those are fair, but probably very low yield for the actual exam.

Occasionally I just disagree with the question, either because it is so badly written that you can't expect people to consistently figure out what the heck they are getting at, or because the stem is so tangential to the answer that I'm not convinced it is actually correct.

That's the lowest I've seen too. But seriously, those questions kind of make me mad from a Q-bank that we're paying for. If a question asks something that people aren't doing significantly better (sometimes worse) than guessing, step 1 isn't going to test it because it is statistically a poor question and won't separate the people that know their stuff from those that don't. Why are we wasting time learning things that won't be on the exam? They should drop those questions and replace them with something better.

As annoying as these questions are when you take a practice test, I think they are useful since crappy impossible questions do show up on the real thing.

For a 1-out-of-5 question, if the %correct is less than 20%, that means it's a pretty bad question because people are over-distracted to the wrong answers based on what they know

Saw a couple more in the last group of 100, but the percentages weren't quite that low. Secondary mechanism of AZT that wasn't mentioned in FA, my class notes, or anywhere else I've looked? C'mon! But almost half got it right because there were only two reasonable answers. :)

For a 1-out-of-5 question, if the %correct is less than 20%, that means it's a pretty bad question because people are over-distracted to the wrong answers based on what they know

amen. that's why i don't get worked up over those questions (i think i've seen 2 that were under 10%). i like to think that there will be few, if any, like them on the real exam. guess i'll see in about two weeks...

Just curious, since only 9% of people (5 answer choices total) got the one right about ceftriaxone enhancing the effect of warfarin on competitive antagonism of vit k clotting factors . . .

just got it... 9%. but don't you think this number would have changed a little? hmm. interesting.

Ha...for some reason that connected in my head, and I got that one right.