If You failed would you repeat year 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEADintheCLOUDS

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I took a make up test today and felt like I passed this time around. However if I did not then I must repeat all of year one over again including everything else I passed.What would you guys do, repeat or not?

Members don't see this ad.

if you don't repeat, you're out of school.
if you do repeat, you're in school.

so, you need to ask yourself if you want to continue medical school or not.

my roommate in medical school went through the same thing... he dropped out during his repeat year!

I think I would repeat. Hard to hypothesize that sort of situation since a large spectrum of unforeseen emotions and thoughts can pop up when you're actually in that situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is.......

Do Not

Give up!

It's not over until the pregnant lady pops one out.

That would really suck, but I'd have to do it. Why do they make you retake the stuff you failed. At my school you can take a leave of absence and come back for the stuff you failed. I think they prorate your tuition too. Not sure about that though.

It would depend on a few things.

Would you have to pay tuition for another year??

If I was over 50 years old, no, I would not repeat.
If I was under 40 years old, yes, I would repeat.
If I was in between, it would depend on many other factors.

I'd have to ask myself why I failed in the first place. If it was because I just couldn't bear to study the material, then it would be hard to say if I could do any better the second time around.

It's an interesting question.

I know a guy who, while not top of his class, was pretty strong academically (got couple honors and the like, never in trouble of failing previously) who missed pass on a test. Not to give away too much in case he or classmates read here, but it was in a very subjective course and the test was poorly made. No big deal, he wasn't the only one in the class who that happened to, he'll ace the retake.

Well, turns out he BARELY fails the retake and DOES have to repeat the entire year. Bless him, but he did and went on to get a very nice Step 1. I don't know if I would do it if I was in his shoes. The pure soul crushingness of it gets you down. But in the end, it'll make you a stronger student and it's in preclinical so it will have less effect than residency since it's early (probably still some effect though).

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I guess I shouldnt really be thinking about this until i actually know how I did but it just sucks thinking about it,It sucks becasuse I failed by one percent and its not like I cant grasp material. I just had gotten complacent and thought I could cram 8 weeks worth of stuff into 3 days before exam. (you can but then your brain is so foggy that you cant think clearly). I guess it was immaturity, since after that incident of failing happened, I buckled down and studied everyday practically. But then ended up scoring in the upper class.Anyways to the user that asked: if you fail one test during the year you are allowed to retake another test on the material (w/essay) during the summer. Without having to repeat the year. However if you fail 2+ tests or fail the retake you must repeat the year or leave.The main thing is since this fail is now on my transcript (F/P) how bad am I screwed for residency, I mean am i doomed for GP and nothing else? DO you guys know anyone who failed a class then went on to residency?

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I guess I shouldnt really be thinking about this until i actually know how I did but it just sucks thinking about it,It sucks becasuse I failed by one percent and its not like I cant grasp material. I just had gotten complacent and thought I could cram 8 weeks worth of stuff into 3 days before exam. (you can but then your brain is so foggy that you cant think clearly). I guess it was immaturity, since after that incident of failing happened, I buckled down and studied everyday practically. But then ended up scoring in the upper class.Anyways to the user that asked: if you fail one test during the year you are allowed to retake another test on the material (w/essay) during the summer. Without having to repeat the year. However if you fail 2+ tests or fail the retake you must repeat the year or leave.The main thing is since this fail is now on my transcript (F/P) how bad am I screwed for residency, I mean am i doomed for GP and nothing else? DO you guys know anyone who failed a class then went on to residency?

This should serve as cautionary example for everyone out there - NEVER get complacent. NEVER. Med school is hard, you need to treat every exam like the biggest baddest challenge you've had to meet.

As far as if you're doomed, absolutely not. If you do well in the rest, it'll be easy to see that it was an isolated incident, one that happens pretty frequently. Your board score is more important, and then other things like class rank, AOA, research, etc. One failed exam isn't going to hamstring you, especially if you use this as motivation and a constant reminder of how hard you should work in your pursuits.

This should serve as cautionary example for everyone out there - NEVER get complacent. NEVER. Med school is hard, you need to treat every exam like the biggest baddest challenge you've had to meet.

As far as if you're doomed, absolutely not. If you do well in the rest, it'll be easy to see that it was an isolated incident, one that happens pretty frequently. Your board score is more important, and then other things like class rank, AOA, research, etc. One failed exam isn't going to hamstring you, especially if you use this as motivation and a constant reminder of how hard you should work in your pursuits.

Yeah, I think thats exactly what it has done. Everytime I think about not studying I think about that fail by 1% and it gives me drive to go study and push forward. In a kind of twisted way, It may have been the best thing to happen so I get myself in gear always work hard and crush the boards............Anyways thanks for the support.

My best friend in the class just chose to exit rather than repeat a year. She failed the first class in medical school by 1 or 2 points, as did at least 14 other students. She passed the rest of her classes after that. Then we come to our last class this year (which is taught by the dean so it's been pretty rediculous as far as minute detail), and she's doing poorly, gets further depressed, has no motivation to study, let a lone repeat a year. As mentioned above, age was a factor, as well as the desire to become a physician.
Whether or not you exit or repeat depends on a lot of things. Most importantly it depends on your drive to become a physician. If you don't think you can stand repeating a year...how are your going to make it through your internship and residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stay in medical school as long as it takes.. I wouldn't fail though! Not saying am kick ass, but after all the effort to get into med school,, failing is not an option...

You can do it, put your back into it.

Okay so I took a make up test today and felt like I passed this time around. However if I did not then I must repeat all of year one over again including everything else I passed.What would you guys do, repeat or not?

Well, do you want to be a doctor, or only if it comes easy? It's the old adage, "when the going gets tough the tough... drop out of med school?" I see no real need for opinions on this one. Either you want to be on this path or you don't.

You have to consider that if you've worked as hard as you have and haven't succeeded, then you're going to have to work harder to succeed this time around. Then you'll have to work harder in subsequent years to succeed (and by succeed, I mean pass). Thus, you have to ask yourself if the level of effort you'll need to put out is worth it to become a doctor. You have an inside look that nobody in the pre-allo forum will ever have, and you can decide if it's worth it or not.

You have to consider that if you've worked as hard as you have and haven't succeeded, then you're going to have to work harder to succeed this time around. Then you'll have to work harder in subsequent years to succeed (and by succeed, I mean pass). Thus, you have to ask yourself if the level of effort you'll need to put out is worth it to become a doctor. You have an inside look that nobody in the pre-allo forum will ever have, and you can decide if it's worth it or not.

Its not that its hard, except for that one test I tried to cram 8 weeks worth of 8hr/day lecture into the 3 days before the test. I learned it all and could recite it to you but i coldnt process the info to answer the question, my mind was boggy on test day. On subsequent test i crammed a weelk before and got 95%+. I just do not want to be labeled as the dumb guy who had to repeat.

I just do not want to be labeled as the dumb guy who had to repeat.

Seems most people in med school realize pretty quickly that if someone has to repeat, it could be because they didn't pass by like, 2 percentage points, and not that they are "dumb". Give your classmates a LITTLE more credit, eh?

I mean am i doomed for GP and nothing else? DO you guys know anyone who failed a class then went on to residency?

WHY do so many people on these forums think GP = some second-class option a person is "doomed" into?!! There are people that actually do really well in med school, and on the boards, and choose it, you know?

And yah, I know one person that actually had to repeat first year TWICE, and is now starting a surgical residency. Is it in some big name place? No, but they are still going to be a surgeon, which was their first choice.

Seems most people in med school realize pretty quickly that if someone has to repeat, it could be because they didn't pass by like, 2 percentage points, and not that they are "dumb". Give your classmates a LITTLE more credit, eh?

WHY do so many people on these forums think GP = some second-class option a person is "doomed" into?!! There are people that actually do really well in med school, and on the boards, and choose it, you know?

And yah, I know one person that actually had to repeat first year TWICE, and is now starting a surgical residency. Is it in some big name place? No, but they are still going to be a surgeon, which was their first choice.
Can you tell me the name of this place, I may need it in the future!!!

LOL! I'm sure when you get to that point, you will have the resources to find a program that fits your needs. And a lot of programs that are less 'well known' are desperate enough to help wih things like loan repayments - so, some are more appealing than they might sound.