Schools Selection Factor Criterias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools such as UCLA and Mount Sinai, what do they specifically look for in their applicants? Im very curious for Yale as well as I am having trouble finding information about their medical school's criteria. Furthermore, what gpa and mcat should one have to be competitive at these schools? Would a 3.5-3.6 and a 36 mcat score be sufficient enough to at least be seriously considered, or would those scores be too low? As my gpa and MCAT fall in those ranges, what else should I do to maximize my chances at these and other med schools of this caliber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For schools such as UCLA and Mount Sinai, what do they specifically look for in their applicants? Im very curious for Yale as well as I am having trouble finding information about their medical school's criteria. Furthermore, what gpa and mcat should one have to be competitive at these schools? Would a 3.5-3.6 and a 36 mcat score be sufficient enough to at least be seriously considered, or would those scores be too low? As my gpa and MCAT fall in those ranges, what else should I do to maximize my chances at these and other med schools of this caliber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to buy an MSAR and look at the information in that. Search MSAR or Medical School Admissions Requirements on amazon.com

You can fall into their numbers criteria and be an exceptional applicant -- All it does it keep you from getting weeded out early.

If you believe that you're MSSM, Yale, or UCLA material, you need to apply to as many schools of that caliber as you can. Then, hope that a lot of them give you an interview. It's not enough to fit within the range of what the MSAR tells you. It's about luck, and unfortunately, it's largely out of your hands.