Your Favorite Novel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your favorite novel?

Mine: 1984

Members don't see this ad.

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad :)
All Quiet on the Western Front or Heart of Darkness

Atlas Shrugged

And I'm not even finished yet haha.

Heart of Darkness

Are you serious? That was one of the most horrible books I've ever read...
there were sentence in that book that must have gone on for 3 pages.

ender's game -Orson Scott Card

100 years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious? That was one of the most horrible books I've ever read...
there were sentence in that book that must have gone on for 3 pages.

At least you read it. I was supposed to read it for AP English. My own teacher didn't like the book. She said the only reason she was making us read it was because SHE had to read it when she took AP English. After 3 days she realized no one was going to open the book and we moved on to Things Fall Apart.

Norwegian Wood... nice one.. hahahahaha

Personally, I like Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Severin's Journey Into the Dark by Paul Leppin

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Anything by Tolstoy or Dostoevsky...Brothers Karamazov was really good, but all the Russian stuff is very deep and contemplative if you want to read something worthwhile...and YES Harry Potter is amazing, though Ron looks like a tool in the movies

Angels and Demons

That piece of excrement hardly merits the title "novel". Labelling it as one puts Dan Brown in the same company as Tolstoy, Balzac, deLafayette, and other, real writers. Dan Brown is a hack and his execrable prose would put a marginally literate 6th grade creative writing student to shame.

In other news, All quiet on the western front is a great book.

House of God

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is the most recent book I read. Absolutely amazing. It may look like a "girly" book but any guy can read it. Picoult's got some great talent.

The Alchemist, eventhough i like 1984 too

Definitely, James Joyce's Ulysses even if it is incredibly difficult to read.

Hey Nostradamus! - Coupland
Life After God - Coupland
Generation X - Coupland

Pretty much I'm in love with the guy.

Franny and Zooey

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

I tried to read that book, but it was too much effort...I could never make it all the way through.

For those of you that have never seen it...it's written in a very 'creative' style. You have to turn the book upside down and sideways on some pages, some pages only have a few words, and there are about a million footnotes, which also have footnotes...and usually to sources that don't actually exist.

My favorite other than those listed: The God of Small Things

sorry, but IMO this is trash. supposedly creative prose comes off as awkward and jumpy. unoriginal and depressive characters that lack depth, not to mention the snail paced plot, and the unnecessary and gratuitous twist at the end which can easily be missed and perhaps for the better. the booker prize? at a loss...

but 1984, one hundred years, crime and punishment, those are the tops...

anyone read the road? i dont get it.... why was that considered great?

I recently finished Dune by Frank Herbert and quickly started reading the sequels. So that is my new favorite right now although before that it was The Alchemist.

some great ones listed so far but Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo is my favorite.

ATLAS SHRUGGED!!

it puts me in work drive everytime I finish it, I feel like I can accomplish anything.

Katatonic how far are you?

ATLAS SHRUGGED!!

it puts me in work drive everytime I finish it, I feel like I can accomplish anything.

Katatonic how far are you?

What would you say are the implications of this book for the disabled or those with a mental illness?

What would you say are the implications of this book for the disabled or those with a mental illness?

Testing me are we?:D

I personally do not think the world should function the way ayn had invisioned it. I believe in helping people who need to be helped not people who will not even help themselves.

thats my short and sweet answer

and it fires me up!!

Testing me are we?:D

I personally do not think the world should function the way ayn had invisioned it. I believe in helping people who need to be helped not people who will not even help themselves.

thats my short and sweet answer

and it fires me up!!

And what about those who are not capable of "helping" themselves?

I agree I thought heart of darkness was horrid.

Livingapparatus said:

To livingapparatus, don't you think that some of those who are unwilling to help themselves are simply the product of their environment? That being one which fosters negligence and a lack of initiative?

Brave New World. Ender's Game is also an excellent choice and changed my life.

Anything by Tolstoy or Dostoevsky...Brothers Karamazov was really good, but all the Russian stuff is very deep and contemplative if you want to read something worthwhile...and YES Harry Potter is amazing, though Ron looks like a tool in the movies

Wow...Brothers Karamazov and Harry Potter...your really run the gamut don't you?

I'm kind of the same way. I love the new Volokhonsky/Peaver translation of War and Peace AND the Bearenstain Bears and "Too Much Candy."

Catch-22......

Thank you, I can't believe nobody mentioned Catch-22 before this. Definitely my favorite novel.

Currently reading House of God, and I really like it so far.