Pre-med to Pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoispittsnogle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i am a class of 2008 graduate pre-med who was in the midst of applying to medical schools this summer when i had a sudden change of heart. i have researched a decent amount in the forum and it seemed like the only thing i needed to make the switch from pre-med to pre-dental, aside from the obvious dat, was shadowing experience. so i have started doing that and will complete 100 hours as well as a LOR from the dentist seeing that some schools require that. my other LORs, i'm just going to contact my profs and ask them to alter it to fit dental instead of medical. it looks like my pre-med activities such as volunteering and research will work fine so that's a huge plus.

as for the question of it is too late to apply...it seemed to me the consensus is to submit your application asap and before you take your dat? i'm sure changing the LORs will take some time but i can definitely do the application and the personal statement soon enough. but i was under the impression that your app can be complete without a dat score but not without LORs? i was planning on submitting the app in a week or so but i think having all my LORs in would take longer? does that mean there's no point in submitting my app early? i'll probably take the dat early august.

also another concern was that dental schools frown upon pre-meds who have switched? i got a 35 on the mcat so it's not like i am a med school reject switching to dental.
i know pre-dental students don't particularly like pre-med students but i am truly coming here for some real advice. please enlighten an ignorant pre-med!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of pre-dents act like they came out of their momma brushing their teeth and wanting to be dentists and unfortunately frown upon anyone who seems like they made the switch after the age of 5--haha.

Anyway, heres what you gotta do:

• A DAT in early August is good (it takes like ~2 weeks to sent to your schools)
  • The application takes 4-8 weeks to process. So, this is you main concern right now--get it in ASAP!
    • most people will tell you that at this date, you won't be considered "early" anymore. Regardless, if your DAT and GPA are solid, you should be alright.
  • From what I know, you can send your application in before your LOR's are received (confirm this).
    • make sure you sincerely express to your professors why you made the switch (not just copy past dental/medical)
  • As far as those made the switch...I think not. My personal statement is about my experience that made me make the switch and a admissions committee member who proof read it loved it
One more thing bro, Case Western has a combined MD/DDS program that you might wanna look into, you can be both! They only require MCAT so you could be good to go!

pm me if you need more info

thanks for your reply. yeah i know what you mean but there are pompous condescending individuals everywhere, especially on the internet. i'm sure a pre-dental trying to switch to pre-med would get just as much attitude if not more.

no matter how you slice it, there is an everlasting beef b/w dental and med...i'm sure a couple of the docs who wrote my LOR will be really disappointed with me in switching and maybe even mad. and on the flip side i'd probably have to deal with some dental school adcoms that look down upon my having taken the mcat and having a lot of medical related activities. oh well **** em.

i guess i have to get on that app right now. i don't get how an app is complete without a dat score like how schools even start reviewing you without one of the most important factors in your application.

i have heard of md/dds programs but they are definitely not for me - i am so sick of school. i was a good student in college and i have enough fuel left in me to do well for another four years in dental or medical school. that's it. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply. yeah i know what you mean but there are pompous condescending individuals everywhere, especially on the internet. i'm sure a pre-dental trying to switch to pre-med would get just as much attitude if not more.

no matter how you slice it, there is an everlasting beef b/w dental and med...i'm sure a couple of the docs who wrote my LOR will be really disappointed with me in switching and maybe even mad. and on the flip side i'd probably have to deal with some dental school adcoms that look down upon my having taken the mcat and having a lot of medical related activities. oh well **** em.

i guess i have to get on that app right now. i don't get how an app is complete without a dat score like how schools even start reviewing you without one of the most important factors in your application.

i have heard of md/dds programs but they are definitely not for me - i am so sick of school. i was a good student in college and i have enough fuel left in me to do well for another four years in dental or medical school. that's it. :mad:

Did you already apply to med school, and if so are you have you withdrawn your application? Are you planning to apply to both at the same time for entrance in 2009?

why do you want to change it to dental? it seems like your settle for med school.
Im actually debating also either med or dent. hard decision in my life.. anyways, i want to know a particular reason.

OK...you need to submit your AADSAS ASAP! Forget about DAT and LORS. I submitted my AADSAS in May...the package is now at schools (which is great) but I am still waiting on LORS and my DAT scores. Basically now I am just getting emails from schools telling me to send DAT scores and LORS ASAP. They will not look at my application until they have everything (including fee and secondary). It's better to submit AADSAS right away because that takes about a month to process and during that month you can figure out LORS, fee, secondary, and study for DAT. Gosh it's a loooong process :(

Also I think it's GREAT that you switched from pre-med! Woo hoo another soul is saved! Seriously man dentistry is where it's AT and that's a guarded secret but I'm glad you've figured it out! Just make sure you really love dentistry and that that comes through in your PS :)

I am a predent but from what i observed most dentist nowadays are money blood sucking. They are in it for money.
However, physicians are difference. They are in it because of passion for medicine and willing to make a difference in peoples' lives

I am a predent but from what i observed most dentist nowadays are money blood sucking. They are in it for money.
However, physicians are difference. They are in it because of passion for medicine and willing to make a difference in peoples' lives

Uh-oh. I can't believe I'm actually reading this comment. :eek:

It's bad overgeneralization that I wish I'd never hear again from my fellow bruin. (if you are one of us.) :thumbdown:

That may be the case with some physicians, but the great majority of my pre-med friends are in it for two reasons: the prestige and the money. I don't believe that most pre-anythings are in it for entirely altruistic motives. They may say that they want to help people, but I guarentee you that you take away the big pay check and you would see a dramatic decrease in the number of people willing to dedicate 12 years to a grueling undergrad, medical school, and residency experience.

lol UCLA! general dentist dont make that much anyways....

Last edited:
Everyone has some sort of an urge to help others but many people exaggerate and claim to be different.
Saying dentists are in it for the money isn't true, dentists don't make that much. Physicians who specialize do make more if I am not mistaken...

med...i'm sure a couple of the docs who wrote my LOR will be really disappointed with me in switching and maybe even mad. and on the flip side i'd probably have to deal with some dental school adcoms that look down upon my having taken the mcat and having a lot of medical related activities. oh well **** em.

i am so sick of school. i was a good student in college and i have enough fuel left in me to do well for another four years in dental or medical school. that's it. :mad:

Such an attitude will certainly endear ds adcoms.

Such an attitude will certainly endear ds adcoms.
i think you're one of the most helpful people in this forum, i know this from reading a lot of your knowledgeable posts in the topics i've researched. i've also seen your sight and appreciated its contents. i just never thought you'd be my first pompous condescending pre-dent giving me attitude. obviously i will present myself to the best of my abilities and especially when it comes to addressing the topic of switching from medicine to dental. but i meant i won't be losing sleep if a self-righteous adcom doesn't like me as an applicant for the simple fact that i was once pre-med. i'm sure i'll encounter some of those, not just adcoms but professors, advisors, and fellow dental students. i can't control how they feel, i can do my best to present myself but after that **** em.

thanks to everyone else for the replies, i still need to make up my mind on medicine vs. dental. and no i have no applied to medical schools yet but i have taken the mcat and my primary is ready to be submitted. right now i'm leaning more towards dental. as soon as i decide, i'll get on that application right away before worrying about the LORs and the DAT, it seems like those two things can be updated later but the app should be done NOW.

Basically now I am just getting emails from schools telling me to send DAT scores and LORS ASAP. They will not look at my application until they have everything (including fee and secondary).
i'm a little slow...so your secondary=LORs+DAT? and they won't look at your application until those things are in plus your fee, so what is the point of turning in just the application so early?

as for the reasons on my change of heart...i would do medicine in a heartbeat if it weren't for the negative extras that it came with. i truly love the idea of medicine and being able to make such a huge difference in the community. but i also throughly understand the sad current state of medicine and how doctors are treated and it's just disgusting. i've known the negative external factors for a long time as an up and coming student but i was willing to make that sacrifice because i love the idea of medicine itself so much. but i am also a realist - sure i will be able to push through and ignore the negatives for a while. after all, i haven't experienced anything more gratifying and rewarding. however, how long can you stay an enthusiastic doctor? i'm sure with time, especially after so much bull**** i will have gone through, i'll start hating what i do. maybe no initially but ten or tweny years down the road, i'm certain of that. and not because i grow to not like medicine but because of all the negative external factors. so in a sense i am settling for dental. of course this would not be the way i present myself in my application but it's the truth, it's the sad reality. through dentistry, i can still make a difference in this world, albeit not as big, and i still get the patient-provider relationship that i love so much. but most importantly, i don't have to deal with all the bull**** extras that MDs have to deal with.

Members don't see this ad :)

If it wasn't for the prestige, why are MD schools more competitive than DO schools? If both certify you to be a doctor, why does the MD matter more? Because a lot of them ARE in it for the letters behind the name.

If it wasn't for the prestige, why are MD schools more competitive than DO schools? If both certify you to be a doctor, why does the MD matter more? Because a lot of them ARE in it for the letters behind the name.
md schools are more competitive than do because do schools are relatively new and all the traditional powerhouses were and are allopathic. but who know what will happen in the future at the rate osteopathic medicine is growing.
but what's the big deal? what you don't care about the name and the prestige? you're gonna sit there and criticize someone who wants to go to harvard md over lake erie do but somehow you're not guilty of the same crime when you wanna go to ucla dental over howard dental? unless you have lower stats or money is a big issue, why would anyone go to a less competitive dental school. stop drinking that haterade.

md schools are more competitive than do because do schools are relatively new and all the traditional powerhouses were and are allopathic. but who know what will happen in the future at the rate osteopathic medicine is growing.
but what's the big deal? what you don't care about the name and the prestige? you're gonna sit there and criticize someone who wants to go to harvard md over lake erie do but somehow you're not guilty of the same crime when you wanna go to ucla dental over howard dental? unless you have lower stats or money is a big issue, why would anyone go to a less competitive dental school. stop drinking that haterade.

Whoa, what's with the blow up. I was merely stating that many people go in to medical for the prestige. One poster said more people go into medical to help people than dental, which is utter BS. I understand that there are people who go dental for $ and all that, but you cannot tell me that there are those who go medical for the name. Obviously there are better schools than others, I do not remember criticizing anybody for going to certain schools over others. I just get sick of this, "I'm going medical because I san save the world." If that was the case, why is there a competitive discrepancy between MD and DO. And why don't those same people do missions work after school. Just like politicians, some use that story as empty promises to get in. Anyways I don't know where the heck you came from with that heated post, I was trying to tear down the myth that doctors want to help people more than dentists, and that prestige IS something people consider when choosing a career.

oh ok i didn't see that original trolling post so i thought you were trolling. my sincerest apologies. let's get back to the subject of educating an ignorant pre-med! i would love answer to my previous question:

Quote:
Basically now I am just getting emails from schools telling me to send DAT scores and LORS ASAP. They will not look at my application until they have everything (including fee and secondary).
i'm a little slow...so your secondary=LORs+DAT? and they won't look at your application until those things are in plus your fee, so what is the point of turning in just the application so early?

i think you're one of the most helpful people in this forum, i know this from reading a lot of your knowledgeable posts in the topics i've researched. i've also seen your sight and appreciated its contents. i just never thought you'd be my first pompous condescending pre-dent giving me attitude.

Pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? I sensed quite a bit of attitude from you as well :p.

Doc toothache is NOT a pre-dent any longer - he's out in the 'real world' now, its not a bad idea to listen to his advice. Keeping a level head in this process can only help you along.

As great as it is to think that you can maintain your full dignity and macho-ness and ***** them if they give you **** about your switch, but the reality is that getting into school isn't always easy, and sometimes it requires some humility and humbleness.

Good luck on your application, I full understand your reasons for your swap - they are very similar to my own too. However, I found a genuine interest in dentistry and the business and management aspect of it as well. Make sure you have plenty of reasons for why dentistry and not why not medicine.

Pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? I sensed quite a bit of attitude from you as well :p.

Doc toothache is NOT a pre-dent any longer - he's out in the 'real world' now, its not a bad idea to listen to his advice. Keeping a level head in this process can only help you along.

As great as it is to think that you can maintain your full dignity and macho-ness and ***** them if they give you **** about your switch, but the reality is that getting into school isn't always easy, and sometimes it requires some humility and humbleness.

Good luck on your application, I full understand your reasons for your swap - they are very similar to my own too. However, I found a genuine interest in dentistry and the business and management aspect of it as well. Make sure you have plenty of reasons for why dentistry and not why not medicine.

if you reread my post, my attitude wasn't towards just dental school adcoms, it was towards my professors and doctors that have written me LORs who will inevitably not like my switching. so my attitude was towards both sides. i guess my writing wasn't clear or maybe you assumed i'm another douchebag pre-med being condescending towards anything dental related. in any case, i assure you this is not the case and i am genuine.

and of course i will be bending over backwards for adcoms. by saying **** em, i just meant that's how i feel about them. i will stick suck their d regardless.

i think you're one of the most helpful people in this forum, i know this from reading a lot of your knowledgeable posts in the topics i've researched. i've also seen your sight and appreciated its contents. i just never thought you'd be my first pompous condescending pre-dent giving me attitude. obviously i will present myself to the best of my abilities and especially when it comes to addressing the topic of switching from medicine to dental. but i meant i won't be losing sleep if a self-righteous adcom doesn't like me as an applicant for the simple fact that i was once pre-med. i'm sure i'll encounter some of those, not just adcoms but professors, advisors, and fellow dental students. i can't control how they feel, i can do my best to present myself but after that **** em.

thanks to everyone else for the replies, i still need to make up my mind on medicine vs. dental. and no i have no applied to medical schools yet but i have taken the mcat and my primary is ready to be submitted. right now i'm leaning more towards dental. as soon as i decide, i'll get on that application right away before worrying about the LORs and the DAT, it seems like those two things can be updated later but the app should be done NOW.

and not because i grow to not like medicine but because of all the negative external factors. so in a sense i am settling for dental. of course this would not be the way i present myself in my application but it's the truth, it's the sad reality. through dentistry, i can still make a difference in this world, albeit not as big, and i still get the patient-provider relationship that i love so much. but most importantly, i don't have to deal with all the bull**** extras that MDs have to deal with.

Any adcom worth his hoot is unlikely to have an instant dislike for someone who was pre med or pre anything and decided to switch to dentistry. However, they are unlikely to have an open arms welcome for someone who one sunny day woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided on dentistry as the second best choice. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, neither medical nor dental schools can afford to accept qualified applicants that are indecisive about their career choices lest, of course, a year or two down the line, they find themselves starring at a student that will drop out because they decided that, after all, they should have stayed with their original choice.

Last edited:
Any adcom worth his hoot is unlikely to have an instant dislike for someone who was pre med or pre anything and decided to switch to dentistry. However, they are unlikely to have an open arms welcome for someone who one sunny day woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided on dentistry as the second best choice. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, neither medical nor dental schools can afford to accept qualified applicants that are indecisive about their career choices lest, of course, a year or two down the line, they find themselves starring at a student that will drop out because they decided that, after all, they should have stayed with their original choice.

i completely agree with you. obviously, through my application and interview, i will not show a hint of ambivalence about my switch. i understand this game.
however, i just wanted to share my true confused feelings on SDN, a forum where i can be honest. i had quite a few members here PM me and tell me how they understand my reasons and a story about their switch as well. i understand why they PM'd instead of replying in this thread, obviously to avoid any confrontation caused by the innate tension b/w predetan and premed. but truthfully, no matter what path i end up choosing, i'll still fell what if? even if i flip flop and choose medicine, i'll be thinking in medical school, what if i had chose dentistry? if you think that factor will make me a lesser student in med school or dental school, i guess thta is your opinion.

i completely agree with you. obviously, through my application and interview, i will not show a hint of ambivalence about my switch. i understand this game.
however, i just wanted to share my true confused feelings on SDN, a forum where i can be honest. i had quite a few members here PM me and tell me how they understand my reasons and a story about their switch as well. i understand why they PM'd instead of replying in this thread, obviously to avoid any confrontation caused by the innate tension b/w predetan and premed. but truthfully, no matter what path i end up choosing, i'll still fell what if? even if i flip flop and choose medicine, i'll be thinking in medical school, what if i had chose dentistry? if you think that factor will make me a lesser student in med school or dental school, i guess thta is your opinion.

By Dec you should know how many, if any, med or dental adcoms you have managed to fool. One would suspects that a seasoned adcom has a keen sense of smell not unlike that of a polar bear that can detect a seal from miles away. There is no "innate" dislike between the premed and predent groups. More than likely each group is territorial and resent having "their" spot taken by someone who is incapable of making a decision on which path to choose and once chosen they are likely to be miserable either as a student or as a practitioner, and always longing for the other.

if you reread my post, my attitude wasn't towards just dental school adcoms, it was towards my professors and doctors that have written me LORs who will inevitably not like my switching. so my attitude was towards both sides. i guess my writing wasn't clear or maybe you assumed i'm another douchebag pre-med being condescending towards anything dental related. in any case, i assure you this is not the case and i am genuine.

and of course i will be bending over backwards for adcoms. by saying **** em, i just meant that's how i feel about them. i will stick suck their d regardless.

Incidentally, it is unlikely that your the authors of your LORs give a hoot about what you want to be when you grow up. They just don't particularly care to look foolish by one day writing a letter saying what a great MD you would make only to have to write another the second day on what a great DDS you would make and finally, write still another on what a great DPM you would make.

Last edited:
By Dec you should know how many, if any, med or dental adcoms you have managed to fool. One would suspects that a seasoned adcom has a keen sense of smell not unlike that of a polar bear that can detect a seal from miles away. There is no "innate" dislike between the premed and predent groups. More than likely each group is territorial and resent having "their" spot taken by someone who is incapable of making a decision on which path to choose and once chosen they are likely to be miserable either as a student or as a practitioner, and always longing for the other.
that's interesting...what i consider presenting yourself appropriately i guess you consider trying to fool/lie. i hate school and studying, absolutely can't stand it. science can suck my balls. but i have excellent grades in my pre-requisite science classes from a great university as well as having done three god damn years and two summers of biological research. would i really go into my interview and say i hate studying and research, cuz i really do, i am so sick of it. and that i wanna play xbox360 all day, which really is what i truly enjoy doing. or would i use resume and track record as evidences to show my obsessive love for science and learning in general? would you consider that "fooling" adcoms? if then, yes i will be fooling the shhh out of them. whatever path i end up choosing, it's still work. sure it'll be exciting for a while but ten years down the road, it'll all be varying shades of boring. i find people that say "you should do what you love" very, very naive...there are so many more factors to consider when choosing your occupation.

Incidentally, it is unlikely that your the authors of your LORs give a hoot about what you want to be when you grow up. They just don't particularly care to look foolish by one day writing a letter saying what a great MD you would make only to have to write another the second day on what a great DDS you would make and finally, write still another on what a great DPM you would make.

i thought it would be as easy as replacing the word MD to DDS or DPM? the characteristics and the experiences i have that attribute to becoming a good MD would be just as applicable to DDS or DPM. i'm curious to know your counterargument to this because you don't seem to agree.

Last edited:
i thought it would be as easy as replacing the word MD to DDS or DPM? the characteristics and the experiences i have that attribute to becoming a good MD would be just as applicable to DDS or DPM. i'm curious to know your counterargument to this because you don't seem to agree.

In the end, it may be that the only one you managed to fool is yourself.

When asking for new LORs lets ascertain that the writers are familiar with the feature of a word processing software of only needing to replace a single word. The profs will certainly appreciate being demoted to personal secretary status or they could decide that they are not particularly interested in writing letters for students who have the maturity level of teeny boppers.

In the end, it may be that the only one you managed to fool is yourself.

you are a grown ass man...at least you could man up and write a serious reply to my defense to your accusation of "fooling" an adcom.

it sounds like you one of these:

A lot of pre-dents act like they came out of their momma brushing their teeth and wanting to be dentists and unfortunately frown upon anyone who seems like they made the switch after the age of 5--haha.

dude, don't sweat it! I had a 3.6 GPA and 34 on the MCAT and decided dental school was better for me.

Words of wisdom:
-don't underestimate the DAT. Yes, it's less thinking, but there are so many more random questions pertaining to plants and upper level bio questions than you will ever see on the MCAT. My percentile was higher on the MCAT than the DAT.
-during interviews be sincere with the admissions committee. they will appreciate it.
-make sure you get 30-40 hours minimum of shadowing hours under a GP. yes- shadowing is boring and awkward at times, but it is definitely required.

Best of luck!
-Hup!

dude, don't sweat it! I had a 3.6 GPA and 34 on the MCAT and decided dental school was better for me.

Words of wisdom:
-don't underestimate the DAT. Yes, it's less thinking, but there are so many more random questions pertaining to plants and upper level bio questions than you will ever see on the MCAT. My percentile was higher on the MCAT than the DAT.
-during interviews be sincere with the admissions committee. they will appreciate it.
-make sure you get 30-40 hours minimum of shadowing hours under a GP. yes- shadowing is boring and awkward at times, but it is definitely required.

Best of luck!
-Hup!

thanks for the words of wisdom, it's also good to see some humble dental students around here.
so far, i am loving the dat format. but i know what you mean about plant and ecology questions...
in interviews did you talk to them about your switching from medical to dental? did they ask first?
i have already started my shadowing under a dentist...he was so happy to hear that i was switching.

*edit*i'm not a big futbol fan but i used to MURDER people on xbox live in fifa 06 with Ruud van Nistelrooy, that boy was fiiilthy.

present myself but after that **** em.

however, how long can you stay an enthusiastic doctor? i'm sure with time, especially after so much bull**** i will have gone through, i'll start hating what i do. maybe no initially but ten or tweny years down the road, relationship that i love so much. but most importantly, i don't have to deal with all the bull**** extras that MDs have to deal with.

that's interesting...what i consider presenting yourself appropriately i guess you consider trying to fool/lie. i hate school and studying, absolutely can't stand it. science can suck my balls. if then, yes i will be fooling the shhh out of them.

you are a grown ass man...at least you could man up and write a serious reply to my defense to your accusation of "fooling" an adcom.

Under special talents do include: "Excellent command of English with special emphasis on vulgar nuances".

that's a good one, special talents...but really why don't you act your age, man up, and stop avoiding my reply to what you said:

that's interesting...what i consider presenting yourself appropriately i guess you consider trying to fool/lie. i hate school and studying, absolutely can't stand it. science can suck my balls. but i have excellent grades in my pre-requisite science classes from a great university as well as having done three god damn years and two summers of biological research. would i really go into my interview and say i hate studying and research, cuz i really do, i am so sick of it. and that i wanna play xbox360 all day, which really is what i truly enjoy doing. or would i use resume and track record as evidences to show my obsessive love for science and learning in general? would you consider that "fooling" adcoms? if then, yes i will be fooling the shhh out of them. whatever path i end up choosing, it's still work. sure it'll be exciting for a while but ten years down the road, it'll all be varying shades of boring. i find people that say "you should do what you love" very, very naive...there are so many more factors to consider when choosing your occupation.

i guess my vulgarity will make me a worse dentist than you. i mean there is just no way that i change the way i talk when addressing adcoms, co-workers, or future patients. even if by some miracle, i did (because very, very few people in this world have the special ability to choose to talk differently depending on the audience) i would only be "fooling myself" right? your logic is just impeccable, you leave me straight annihilated after all of your comprehensive pinpoint analysis on why i wouldn't make it in dentistry.

that's a good one, special talents...but really why don't you act your age, man up, and stop avoiding my reply to what you said:

i guess my vulgarity will make me a worse dentist than you. i mean there is just no way that i change the way i talk when addressing adcoms, co-workers, or future patients. even if by some miracle, i did (because very, very few people in this world have the special ability to choose to talk differently depending on the audience) i would only be "fooling myself" right? your logic is just impeccable, you leave me straight annihilated after all of your comprehensive pinpoint analysis on why i wouldn't make it in dentistry.

:laugh: Wait a few years, grow up and wait. You never included a full-time McDonald's employee or a mechinc in your debate of what ifs. Give those some thought, they are within your intellect.

:laugh: Wait a few years, grow up and wait. You never included a full-time McDonald's employee or a mechinc in your debate of what ifs. Give those some thought, they are within your intellect.

my life has hit rock bottom when a university of north friggin dakota student is taking shots at my intellect. wow. before i worry about dentistry or medicine, i need to step back and reevaluate my life's worth first...i might as well just end it. jesus christ, university of north dakota really?? what just happened isn't even registering in my head yet...a week or so later when i'm in the shower or pulling out of my garage i think it'll finally hit me - holy shh a university of north god damn dakota student called me dumb.

my life has hit rock bottom when a university of north friggin dakota student is taking shots at my intellect. wow. before i worry about dentistry or medicine, i need to step back and reevaluate my life's worth first...i might as well just end it. jesus christ, university of north dakota really?? what just happened isn't even registering in my head yet...a week or so later when i'm in the shower or pulling out of my garage i think it'll finally hit me - holy shh a university of north god damn dakota student called me dumb.

University of North Dakota, dumb? An interesting statement considering I was accepted into Baylor Univesrity, University of Minnesota-IT and Johns Hopkins University. However, having a free undergraduate education isn't dumb and is, in fact, practical. Again, that's why you should consider a field that isn't as intellectually demanding but more physical.

just the fact that you'd consider baylor and minnesota examples of schools is sad. i wouldn't have even said anything about your college if you had a high gpa and dat. i'd pay my dues. but how can you act elitist with a 3.7 from a university barely harder than community college?
i certainly hope you'll have higher expectations of yourself in the future, not for dental school admissions cuz that's already hopeless with your extra regular dat score, but for dental residency or other future endeavors. and i'm sorry that my parents are more successful and richer than yours.

What a fantastic thread!! Informative, uplifting, and such humble attitudes as well!!

Hey mods, could you please close this thread. It is no longer becoming an information source of how to make a career change, but rather a slamming of ones hard earned education. Thanks.

Hey mods, could you please close this thread. It is no longer becoming an information source of how to make a career change, but rather a slamming of ones hard earned education. Thanks.

Oh, come now. I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation of what incredible wisdom will come gushing from these guys next.

just the fact that you'd consider baylor and minnesota examples of schools is sad. i wouldn't have even said anything about your college if you had a high gpa and dat. i'd pay my dues. but how can you act elitist with a 3.7 from a university barely harder than community college?
i certainly hope you'll have higher expectations of yourself in the future, not for dental school admissions cuz that's already hopeless with your extra regular dat score, but for dental residency or other future endeavors. and i'm sorry that my parents are more successful and richer than yours.

I have worked for everything I have and wouldn't want anything on a silver platter. You don't know what my parents make, what they drive, how many houses they own, etc. so I don't understand how one can comment on such aspects. My parents had to work hard to achieve where they are today, and so will I. Adcoms with understand this, too- aka: character. Maybe this is why you are having problems deciding between medicine and dentistry. Have to follow your parent's standards? It's okay that you have graduate and are still clueless with your life. Think again, is this silver platter still that great?

Dissing Minnesota is extremely niave. Having one of the top Chemincal Engineering, medicinal, dental programs in the USA, and ranked extremely well elsewhere, shows your knowledge and ignorance. Anyways, there are more important things to do than argue with a potential grease money. As for difficulty, a majority of our upper science courses are with graduate students and are difficult.

What's with dissing mechanics? That is totally my #4 career choice.

sorry for the e-fight mods i love what you guys do and i am very appreciative of SDN. i hope you'll understand that my intentions were good when i started this thread but somewhere in the thread it turned into this.

i'll go to my corner and reflect on my immature behavior. please don't ban me.

with love,

kevin

What's with dissing mechanics? That is totally my #4 career choice.

Mechanics isn't the job. I was refeering to Jiffy Lubbers. :)

I wouldn't mind restoring a 60's Camero someday.

I'm curious about something...

So whoispittsnogle starts posting on SDN in June of 2006 asking about study materials for the MCAT. He makes regular posts up until mid July '06.

And then in August he takes his MCAT. Look at post #4 http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30318 If you don't want to register, then go here: http://bayimg.com/baKnhAaBc (sorry, couldn't help it... I'm nosy).

He makes a few posts in late October/early November '06 about more MCAT things, and then he suddenly vanishes from SDN.

Two years later, he starts a thread about wanting to switch from pre-med to pre-dent, asking for advice. On top of that, he claims to have scored a 35 on the MCAT (which an awesome score, BTW), but still wants to do dentistry because he is unhappy with the current situation of medicine blah blah blah...

Here's what is interesting to me... whoispittsnogle takes his MCAT on August 19th, 2006, and then three months later (when MCAT scores are sent out since it was still the pencil/paper test) he disappears and doesn't post anything on SDN for two years.

Now, if you're an avid reader of whoispittsnogle's threads, like I am, you probably have figured out already that whoispittsnogle is a very... confident person. He makes it VERY clear that he is proud of his intelligence, abilities, god-like attributes... and that he's going to rip the DAT a new one when he takes it. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7011089&postcount=1

So I don't get it, whoispittsnogl... you score a 35 on your MCAT, and you don't say ANYTHING about it on SDN until two years later? On top of that, you recently come onto SDN asking about switching to pre-dental, but you never bothered to ask any pre-meds/med students/residents about their opinion on the degrading field of medicine during your two years (post MCAT) of being pre-med? You never asked about med schools, where you should apply, what schools are good, what schools are easy to get into?

It just doesn't make sense to me. You said that you did research on SDN about switching to pre-dent, but you didn't make any posts until AFTER you made up your mind about switching. It's quite obvious that you LOVE to post EVERYTHING on your mind on SDN... so what's with the 2 year hiatus?

Did you really score a 35 on your MCAT?

awesome! we have a detective in our midst! now we just need to a halter-top-wearing large-breasted sidekick and we are ready to make the next CSI: SDN.

not that I care, but I think it goes without saying that whospittingdumb will need to show a scanned copy of his DAT scores for anyone to believe whatever 102nd percentile he will claim to attain.

I'm curious about something...

So whoispittsnogle starts posting on SDN in June of 2006 asking about study materials for the MCAT. He makes regular posts up until mid July '06.

And then in August he takes his MCAT. Look at post #4 http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30318 If you don't want to register, then go here: http://bayimg.com/baKnhAaBc (sorry, couldn't help it... I'm nosy).

He makes a few posts in late October/early November '06 about more MCAT things, and then he suddenly vanishes from SDN.

Two years later, he starts a thread about wanting to switch from pre-med to pre-dent, asking for advice. On top of that, he claims to have scored a 35 on the MCAT (which an awesome score, BTW), but still wants to do dentistry because he is unhappy with the current situation of medicine blah blah blah...

Here's what is interesting to me... whoispittsnogle takes his MCAT on August 19th, 2006, and then three months later (when MCAT scores are sent out since it was still the pencil/paper test) he disappears and doesn't post anything on SDN for two years.

Now, if you're an avid reader of whoispittsnogle's threads, like I am, you probably have figured out already that whoispittsnogle is a very... confident person. He makes it VERY clear that he is proud of his intelligence, abilities, god-like attributes... and that he's going to rip the DAT a new one when he takes it. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7011089&postcount=1

So I don't get it, whoispittsnogl... you score a 35 on your MCAT, and you don't say ANYTHING about it on SDN until two years later? On top of that, you recently come onto SDN asking about switching to pre-dental, but you never bothered to ask any pre-meds/med students/residents about their opinion on the degrading field of medicine during your two years (post MCAT) of being pre-med? You never asked about med schools, where you should apply, what schools are good, what schools are easy to get into?

It just doesn't make sense to me. You said that you did research on SDN about switching to pre-dent, but you didn't make any posts until AFTER you made up your mind about switching. It's quite obvious that you LOVE to post EVERYTHING on your mind on SDN... so what's with the 2 year hiatus?

Did you really score a 35 on your MCAT?

idk if whats going on with the OP....but the funny is that a person named "Phraud" found out all this...:laugh::laugh:

damn my e-fame is getting ridiculous on sdn...when do i get a wikipedia page? :laugh:@the screen capture :eek: that is SOME research. i posted for a brief moment on sdn two years ago when i was an avid premed seeking advice on how to study for the mcat. if you did your homework, you should see that all my posts were regarding the mcat, nothing at all about medical schools. you would also find that none of my posts were lengthy...i was never part of the sdn community like i am now:cool: now i feel like you guys are my FAM.

and i think i stopped posting around the time of my mcat date, not three months after the scores came out like you seem to suggest. i got my info on how to effectively study for the test, test was done, i was gone why would i continue to post. i don't understand your reasoning anyway like i failed the mcat, got depressed went away, stopped coming to sdn, and came back for dental?

anyway if you wanna put some money up, i'll gladly present the ocular proof. we'll have a respectable moderator be a middleman and collect everyone's money in paypal and hold it. maybe pre-dental as a community can chip in a few dollars each:love:

I got a dollar on this one!!

damn my e-fame is getting ridiculous on sdn...when do i get a wikipedia page? :laugh:@the screen capture

You ARE famous on SDN.

if you did your homework, you should see that all my posts were regarding the mcat, nothing at all about medical schools.

I didn't say you posted stuff about med school, I just found it a little curious that you NEVER DID post anything about med school after you took your MCAT. That's how it usually goes: ask people study tips about your test, take your test, do well on the test, ask people about schools, apply to schools... you get the point.

i don't understand your reasoning anyway like i failed the mcat, got depressed went away, stopped coming to sdn, and came back for dental?

Yeah, that was my far-fetched reasoning...

Look, it's obvious my argument is weak. Actually, it's kind of sad that I spent so much time on that. It's like I have a crush on you and I'm stalking you now... man, I am so gay!

Anyway, I was just pointing something out... that's it.

i just skimmed through the posts here so I apologize if I repeat anything others have posted. Anyways, I think it's great that you are considering other options before committing to either path. There's no shame in changing your mind. people do it all the time. Get as much exposure to both fields and pick whichever fits you best. Its much wiser to do your research now rather that later when you're chained to a particular program.
As far as the app process goes, try to get your app in soon as it takes weeks to process and work on getting your lors getting sent in and taking the dat if you choose to in the meantime. Whatever you do, make sure you have a solid app, show that dentistry/med/whatever else you choose is waht you really really want and you should be fine. I didn't get my app in til the end of october, the same week I took my DAT, but I had a great GPA, did well on the dat, and had a nice solid application. I don't recommend you turning in your app this late, but i'm just saying don't rush it if its going to compromise your app.

Hmmm old thread? OP is a troll BTW as most others might have pointed out.

Last edited: