Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also my recruiter told me the minimum DAT is 18. Has that changed?

Doubtful. If your recruiter says so, then it is. Just recently they took away automatic acceptances and so likely those with higher stats than an 18 will get the scholarship anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how many HPSP's are available? For example, if I got an Air Force HPSP, how many people would I compete with for residencies?

AFDDS,

My understanding was that in the civilian world we don't need GRE scores for residencies. It depends on research, gpa, boards, etc. In the AF, which residency programs require GRE?

All the residencies do right now. We had our AF Dental Education meeting the last 2 days and some changes may come out of that. However, I don't know how soon those changes will come about. OMS for sure is looking at something different.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter told me that I have to submit three letters of recommendation for the HPSP, so I asked if I could use the letters that had been sent in with my dental school application. The recruiter told me that I could use the same letter writers, but that it would be a good idea to have them re-write the letters referencing the Air Force Scholarship. The problem is that it took the letter writers nearly four months to write the letters for my dental school application. There isn't that much time, I have to get this submitted ASAP. What should I do? Do you think the letters written for my dental school will be sufficient?

Best would be to have 3 specific letters for the HPSP. If you can't work that out, then you will have to go with what you can.

I was just wondering how many HPSP's are available? For example, if I got an Air Force HPSP, how many people would I compete with for residencies?

For this cycle
4 yr - 11
3 yr - 67
2 yr - 8

First time we've offered 2 year scholarships in a long time, maybe the only time.

The board is meeting on 19 Nov. The acceptances usually go out 1-2 weeks after that.

Will the notification of acceptance tell us what base we will be at or is it just a general "you got an AEGD" and the actual bases will be assigned later? Thanks

Does the airforce typically call, email, or snail mail notification of acceptance and assignment with AEGD residencies? Thanks

When will the applicants for the HPSP know if they have recieved a scholarship or not?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait to hear from AFPC..our AEGD acceptance or assignments are sitting on someones desk...This is nerve wrecking to know if we got in or now and where we are going..

Usually a phone call, but you may get an email if AFPC has your email address.

I can't wait to hear from AFPC..our AEGD acceptance or assignments are sitting on someones desk...This is nerve wrecking to know if we got in or now and where we are going..
Notifications on AEGD assignments will start going out today. HPSP notifications soon to follow. Some verification has to happen before everyone gets notified.

I was told around Dec 14th for the 3yr by my recruiter.

Here are the board dates for HPSP.

30 November: 2 and 3-year HPSP
25 January: 4-year HPSP

I would say the Dec date is pretty good for the 3 year and the 4 year board hasn't met yet. May get some notifications out sooner than the 14th, but don't know for sure.

Notifications on AEGD assignments will start going out today. HPSP notifications soon to follow. Some verification has to happen before everyone gets notified.

If anyone hears anything about their AEGD assignment let's hear it. I'm excited to see where I'll be going.

If anyone hears anything about their AEGD assignment let's hear it. I'm excited to see where I'll be going.

Specialty board results were released to commanders this morning. Those individuals will be getting notified by their commanders first thing. Those not on active duty yet will get a call from AFPC or the consultant.

AEGD assignments should be soon to follow.

I'm going to Colorado Springs for the AEGD-1

I am a dental student in Las Vegas. Do you know who is in charge of the HPSP scholorship students in Las Vegas and what is their contact info? Do you also know who the recruiter is for that area and their contact info? Do you know who I would need to contact about doing externships durring my active duty time?
Dave

I am a dental student in Las Vegas. Do you know who is in charge of the HPSP scholorship students in Las Vegas and what is their contact info? Do you also know who the recruiter is for that area and their contact info? Do you know who I would need to contact about doing externships durring my active duty time?
Dave

PM sent to answer some of your questions. I don't know the recruiter for that area. If you have gotten a HPSP newsletter, you should get some info on who to contact at AFPC, if not the PM has some and you can always contact me. AFPC would be your best bet on info on externships.

So has anyone heard anything from any other AEGD-1's besides Colorado? They must be on the ball.

All the notifications come out of one office. Selectees will know where they are going before the program directors do.

So if someone has heard that they are going to a certain base does that mean all notifications for that specific base have already been sent out?

So if someone has heard that they are going to a certain base does that mean all notifications for that specific base have already been sent out?
No. Those that score the highest on the board get notified first. Remember, all HPSP students must apply to an AEGD. Some will also apply to traditional specialty programs and get accepted. They have to work through those. Also remember, some will be accepted, but turn down the AEGD. I don't know why they would, but some will. That sets off a domino effect to notify some alternates. They notify a few, see if they are accepting, then notify some more. This makes the overall notification process easier (Not sure exactly how, just spouting the company line a little). The notifications will continue over a course of a few days to a week until all of them go out. I'll try to find out when the last ones will be going out and let you know.

I am applying for a 4-year HPSP scholarship. Unfortunately, I didn't hear back from any schools on December 1st. When do I need to have an acceptance by to still be considered? You said earlier that the board meets on January 20th, so if I get one on the 15th when the next big round of acceptances go out, is that okay or will it be too late for my recruiter to get everything turned in?

Last edited:
I am applying for a 4-year HPSP scholarship. Unfortunately, I didn't hear back from any schools on December 1st. When do I need to have an acceptance by to still be considered? You said earlier that the board meets on January 20th, so if I get one on the 15th when the next big round of acceptances go out, is that okay or will it be too late for my recruiter to get everything turned in?
\
You can get accepted to the HPSP without an acceptance to dental school. It's a conditional acceptance. If you don't get an acceptance letter, the HPSP will be revoked.

I've just bee accepted to dental school and now I'm working on applying for the HPSP. I'm very interested in the 2yr AEGD program, but I haven't been able to find all the details I'm looking for.

How many 2yr AEGD spots are there in the AF?

How competitive is it?

What are the qualifications the admissions committee is looking for?

Does the AF have a seperate 2 yr AEGD from the Army?

Which bases have the 2 yr AEGD program?

I've just bee accepted to dental school and now I'm working on applying for the HPSP. I'm very interested in the 2yr AEGD program, but I haven't been able to find all the details I'm looking for.

How many 2yr AEGD spots are there in the AF? Currently 10

How competitive is it? It has become more and more competitive each year.

What are the qualifications the admissions committee is looking for? We look at the whole person. Your interview will be a big part of it, but we look at GPA, class standing, GRE score, NBDE scores, extracurricular activities, research, etc...

Does the AF have a seperate 2 yr AEGD from the Army? Yes

Which bases have the 2 yr AEGD program?Currently at Lackland AFB, TX

We are looking at the potential of expanding our AEGD-II program to have more training slots. If so, we will be required to open one at another location. That location is yet TBD.

Is 1 yr AEGD only for HPSP students? or can direct accessions apply for it as well? Thanks
Typically, around 4 AEGD training slots are held for qualified direct accessions to apply. However, I don't think we are taking anyone that is not HPSP this year. Even for the AEGD.

Does anyone now if they have already notified the applicants that have received the airforce HPSP 3 yr scholarships? thanks!

Hi there,

My understanding was that there are 11 scholarships available for 4 year HPSP, however, I was just told by my recruiter that there may be 20+ ???

It really doesn't change anything in my opinion, but I am just trying to gauge my chance of being accepted.

Thanks,

Hi there,

My understanding was that there are 11 scholarships available for 4 year HPSP, however, I was just told by my recruiter that there may be 20+ ???

It really doesn't change anything in my opinion, but I am just trying to gauge my chance of being accepted.

Thanks,
Good time to ask this question. I just got an update from AFPC. We have 11 4-year scholarships.

Those who are waiting to hear about the 3 year scholarships should find out today. I got a call from my recruiter this morning. Best of wishes to you all!

I'm a few years away from this but in terms of where I'll be stationed, how exactly does the Air Force decide who goes where? What I mean is, what if another guy and I have the same place on our list and there is one opening. How does the Air Force decide which of us gets it? Are these things based on grades, board scores, who requests it first, or a mixture of many things?