• Total voters

ylrebmik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
High School Students...

What field do you wish to go into?

Members don't see this ad.

I deleted your messed up thread for you ;)

I voted, even though A. I'm not in high school and B. Emergency Medicine wasn't an option... I just can't resist a poll.

I deleted your messed up thread for you ;)

I voted, even though A. I'm not in high school and B. Emergency Medicine wasn't an option... I just can't resist a poll.

I'm going to take a wild stab at this and guess you picked "Other". :D

Members don't see this ad :)
as for me (also not in HS, so not voting), my interests have shifted multiple times since starting med school, but current possibilities include:

(in no particular order)
-Pediatrics/Neonatology
-Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
-Heme Onc/BMT
-Infectious Disease
-Emergency Medicine

Then again, I'll probably get into third year and find something that I love that isn't even on the list.

I'm not in high school, and not voting, either. I'm most interested in improving the outlook for victims of brain injuries, such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and stroke.

I'm not in high school, and not voting, either. I'm most interested in improving the outlook for victims of brain injuries, such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and stroke.
Well, neuro is an obvious area of interest for you, but take a look at Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. They focus on the actual regain of function aspect of treatment for patients, although not just limited to neurologic injury. I know they have fellowships in Spinal Cord Injury medicine... just an aside.

Just to let you yoots know,you don't have to know what kind of doctor you want to be. In high school I knew I wanted to be a doctor I just didn't know what kind, then I wanted to be a dermatologists my senior year in high school only cause a doctor told me thats what I should be. Then in college I decided I didn't want to be a doctor at all, although this was kind of a sour grapes decision due to my bad grades. After I figured out that if I study I will actually make good grades and that I actually enjoy studying I slowly drifted back into the premed pool. Now I'm applying this year and hoping for the best, but still don't know what I want to be.

I'm going into my senior year of high school and my interest now is ophthalmology. I know it's crazy considering that I'm still in high school, but it's my interest as of now. I've wanted to be an eye doctor since sixth grade but now I'm liking the idea of eye surgery. But who knows, it might change in college and med school. But since this is asking about high school, I'm just stating what I'm interested in now.

I'm going into my senior year of high school and my interest now is ophthalmology. I know it's crazy considering that I'm still in high school, but it's my interest as of now. I've wanted to be an eye doctor since sixth grade but now I'm liking the idea of eye surgery. But who knows, it might change in college and med school. But since this is asking about high school, I'm just stating what I'm interested in now.

Optho's are eye doct---... er, nevermind. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with being interested in any field of medicine at any stage of your education. Unfortunately, more than a couple SDN folks (usually pre-meds) like to poo poo on the high schooler that does so. Oh well.

Its always a good time to learn about various specialties. Have you tried shadowing at all?

Optho's are eye doct---... er, nevermind. :rolleyes:

Haha, yes, I know they're eye doctors too. Sorry, I didn't exactly clarify what I meant. When I was in sixth grade I always said I wanted to be an eye doctor. I meant an optometrist but I always just said eye doctor. Haha, but what I meant is that I'm still interested in the eye, just now instead of just primary care, I like the idea of surgery too.

And I haven't done any shadowing yet. I'll probably do that either at the end of the summer or the beginning of the school year. My dad's friend is an optician at an ophthalmologist's office, so hopefully she could get me in there to shadow sometime. ;)

But of course, I know that I can't say that I'm sure of wanting to be an ophthalmologist in high school, I was just answering the poll. As a senior in high school, I like ophthalmology, but who know what the future holds. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I voted other. Emergency Medicine ftw! :)

Wow how long you took to make the thread.

I voted for Surgery :D

if the OP wants, I can toss that up there and change Caesar's vote... otherwise we can leave it as other.

sure. :)

I just got back my AP scores like 2 weeks ago... :( I failed one of the three. (US politics) but yet i passed comparative politics and biology... the tests I had more trouble on!

I don't really mind if non-high school students vote. I just put that there because this poll was in aspire but go for it and vote.

I wanted to be a teacher for the longest time too... but then a marine biologist and now for the last two years (almost)... veterinary medicine! Cross my fingers that I have it figured out and hope I stick! I reallly want to go into wildlife and exotic medicine. :)

I voted other for neurology (specifically behavioral neurology). I'm only going into my junior year of HS though, so I'm sure I'll change my mind. :p

I voted other for neurology (specifically behavioral neurology). I'm only going into my junior year of HS though, so I'm sure I'll change my mind. :p

Behavioral neurology is very cool. :rolleyes::thumbup:

I wish I could vote for veterinary and anesthesiology...:) Hopefully I'll end up doing both!!

High school student currently, and so it's horrendously early for me to really be thinking about which field I'd really want to get into, but internal medicine interests me the most right now.

This very well may, and probably will, change.

Other: Sports Medicine Physician! I can't imagine a better job. =]

Another vote for emergency medicine. I've worked as a CNA in an emergency room and really enjoyed the varying degrees of emergencies that came in - from an ATV rollover to your typical ER room pregnancy test to a guy who cut off his finger and everything in between!

That said, I'm years away from having to make a decision, and I'm certain I'll find other fields that interest me just as much if not more. :)

Imin high school and currently looking into anesthesiology and emergency med. , PICU and NICU ( peds and neonatal)

For now Im looking into Anesthesiology.:)

I'm thinking critical care, so I picked "Other"... Of course, this is subject to change drastically over the next nine years. I used to want oncology, but really, I like things fast-paced and stressful. I've heard that Emergency Medicine is kind of like that, too.

Can you vote for more than one? I'm not totally decided, but I'm thinking pediatrics, specifically neonatology. I first became aware of this field when my parents explained my own story to me when I was younger(I was a 27 week preemie back in '93) and I've liked the idea ever since. However, since last year's Science Olympiad, I've found neurology pretty fascinating too. The only part I'm pretty much set on is the pediatrics. I love working with kids!

Anesthesiology is the most interesting thing to me right now. Short patient interactions, helping relieve their anxiety before and after surgeries, intensity, and I'd assume having a strong knowledge of general physiology since you have to monitor different fluids and anesthetics for reactions.

I'm sure any physician has a strong knowledge of physiology of course, but I'd figure anesthesiologists more so than say, a surgeon that focuses on cutting and operating on one part of the body.

And it leaves enough room in your life to sustain and be around your family.

Internal Medicine, specifically Infectious Disease, is what I am looking into at this point in time. I'm a big fan of how everything is run and is almost a mystery that needs to be solved.

I had to go with surgery, but I'm sure that I'll change my mind more than a few times over the next few years...:rolleyes:

Cardiology or cardiac thoracic surgery. But that could change of course.

I voted for Pathology. I like the idea of being an expert at diagnosing disease through the examination of cells/tissue, and the lack of patient exposure wouldn't be a problem for me. However, there are still other fields of medicine that I envision to be potentially interesting and fulfilling, and there's no doubt my opinion on this matter will change as the years--and my experience and knowledge--progress. But at this point, Pathology is what I have in mind.

Not really sure... I have no idea what my life will be like in ten years. Right now, I am insisting that I will never in a million years marry or have children, but that could change. All I know is that I want something with stress that will constantly keep me on my toes.

Guess I've got a little time to make up my mind. You know, just a decade or so...

Not really sure... I have no idea what my life will be like in ten years. Right now, I am insisting that I will never in a million years marry or have children, but that could change. All I know is that I want something with stress that will constantly keep me on my toes.

Guess I've got a little time to make up my mind. You know, just a decade or so...

Could I suggest neurosurgery? :laugh:

(from what I've gathered from SDN anyhow)

Could I suggest neurosurgery? :laugh:

(from what I've gathered from SDN anyhow)

:D I'm don't think I'm quite smart enough for that. Besides, from what I've gathered from SDN, people who declare that they want to specialize in neonatal cardiovascular surgery, or something equally presumptuous and ridiculous, are usually the laughingstock of any thread. So really, it's just better to keep your head down and wait for some specialty to pull you in, right?

But I shall keep neurosurgery in mind, nonetheless!

Last edited:
Im a senior in high school and i have been interested in anesthesiology for a while. Now im also looking into cardio. But i would really like to be an anesthesiologist bc i like to study diff drugs and whatnot

Im a senior in high school and i have been interested in anesthesiology for a while. Now im also looking into cardio. But i would really like to be an anesthesiologist bc i like to study diff drugs and whatnot

Welcome to the forms!

You might also want to look into pharmacy.

Surprised by the number of ER prospectives (you guys seem well informed). Was FP not an option, or did I miss such? That would be interesting to see.

Pharmacy is my main interest at the moment, I suppose. I've also been reading about Clinical Laboratory Science quite a bit lately, and that seems interesting too... But really, I have no idea. I think I've been dying to study French more than anything ever since I took it my freshman year, actually. Though I could still apply to Pharmacy school with a degree in a foreign language as long as the prerequisites are completed if I'm not mistaken, so who knows? XD

I'm a senior in high school and all I know at the moment is that I really just want to be a doctor. I know that my mind will change an infinite number of times over the course of the next decade or so, but with a gun to my head I'd probably choose internal medicine.