Women's Interview Clothing (thread #2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lol.psych

psychiatrist (private prac)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the other women's interview clothing threads are old. Let's get another one going!

I've never worn a suit before, and am not quite sure what kind of suit to get! Skirt suits are adorable, but they bring more attention to the shoes - what's the heel height at which professional shoes turn into going-out shoes? I'm also concerned about shoulder pads - they really bother me. Are there suits without shoulder pads?

I fell in love with the suit below (Give it a chance! It's cute!). Is it ok?

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/com...B-213859&page=1&cgname=OSCLOSUIZZZ&rfnbr=4695

Members don't see this ad.

All of the other women's interview clothing threads are old. Let's get another one going!

I've never worn a suit before, and am not quite sure what kind of suit to get! Skirt suits are adorable, but they bring more attention to the shoes - what's the heel height at which professional shoes turn into going-out shoes? I'm also concerned about shoulder pads - they really bother me. Are there suits without shoulder pads?

I fell in love with the suit below (Give it a chance! It's cute!). Is it ok?

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/com...B-213859&page=1&cgname=OSCLOSUIZZZ&rfnbr=4695

Schnazzy!:thumbup:

I'm going with a pantsuit because I don't want to have to worry about tugging at my skirt when I sit down.

I don't know what kind of shirt goes under the blazer, though.

(I've also never worn a suit before :confused:)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I used to wear suits for hs debate I would wear a button down over a cami (even then they didn't make button downs that worked for me) under the blazer. I feel the layering added visual interest, but honestly I don't really know much about fashion.

I'm going with a pantsuit because I don't want to have to worry about tugging at my skirt when I sit down.

I don't know what kind of shirt goes under the blazer, though.

(I've also never worn a suit before :confused:)

At Victoria's Secret, they have these weird leotard-button-down-shirt things (click on the link in the original post, scroll down) that are meant to be worn under blazers... I think that's probably what I'm going to do, but in a color (not white).

I wore skirted suits for my interviews, but probably saw half skirts and half pants out of other female applicants. I just liked the look of the skirt.

As for shoes... please please please do not wear open toed shoes! I remember distinctly on one interview I went to that I saw a girl w/ those flip flops w/ the heel and another w/ very tall peep toe shoes. Also, don't wear a flashy color shoe! The girl w/ the peep toe shoes had on a tan suit and the shoes were red. No need to draw attention to yourself that way!

I wore a round toe heel because I thought it looked better than a pointy toe w/ my skirt. As for height, I'd stay below 2-3 inches. Make it something you can walk in! Mine were not the most comfortable things to walk in, but luckily I brought extra shoes to walk in for tours. Oh, and make sure you really scuff the bottoms... I thought I had done so by my 4th interview but still tripped 3 times in the hallway :laugh: Didn't fall, but definitely gave the other people in my interview group a good laugh :p

As for under your suit coat... I wore button down shirts. They have great solid colored ones at Express. I saw people mostly wear button down shirts, turtlenecks, or a cami.

Last edited:
Ugh. I wear suits most days. I recommend pants suits instead of skirt suits, because the skirt can ride up when you sit down and because full hose are extremely annoying (whereas knee highs or trouser socks are not so bad). Then you don't have to worry about crossing your knees at the ankles and all of that crazy skirt etiquette. And if the room is cold (AC or winter), you won't be quite so freezing. I'd recommend kitten heels or something not too high (loafers with a heel work too), but not flats which can seem too casual. If you don't wear heels a lot, don't start the day of the interview. As far as under the blazer, I usually wear a thin sweater with 3/4 or short sleeves. I've stopped wearing button down shirts because they wrinkle, sometimes they stretch "open" between the buttons especially at the bust, and you have to tuck them in. And there is the school of debate about whether the shirt collar should go over or under the jacket collar... I prefer under but just avoid the issue with sweaters. A sweater of the right length doesn't necessarily have to be tucked in, if it doesn't show below the jacket. I'm still deciding whether I'll wear a colored sweater (blue or teal) or a black one with my suit.

Wearing suits can actually be fun. They're really empowering. And if you're body conscious at all, suits rock. The jacket hides your hips, stomach, and arms... many of the trouble zones!

I don't usually wear high heels, and I don't really want to have to start on the day of the interview....but...I'm 5'1".

I don't want to get my pants tailored so they're short enough to fit me. I also don't want to stand out for being so short, so I bought a pair of 3 inch heels would boost me to 5'4".

But so many people have said to avoid heels that high. What'd you guys think, is this an appropriately professional looking shoe with a black pantsuit?

pKCP-4894716v275.jpg

If you're thinking about getting a suit from Victoria's Secret, they sometimes have a sale where you can get a jacket and skirt or pants for $99.

I have the suit (with pants) that laina posted in black. I later bought the skirt, at my dad's request - he does a lot of interviewing for his job and thought it would look better for the dinner that I was going to.

shemarty, those are perfect. Just make sure you get used to them! And when you do, put them on w/ pantyhose... sometimes the shoe feels bigger when you do and you might want to put insoles in them.

Also, anyone looking for suits... the Limited usually has nice ones.

I wore three inch heels to one of my interviews, and I'm 5'10" without them!!! I say if you can walk in them without looking uncomfortable then go for it (I personally love wearing high heels). Also if the shoes are brand new, definitely wear them around a lot BEFORE interview day; no one wants to look like a gimp because they didn't break in new shoes.

Oh, and OP, be careful about pants with cuffs. If you aren't very tall, they make your legs look shorter. Otherwise, that's a very cute suit! I'm a fan on the pinstripe.

Lastly, I wore a skirt suit at three interviews and pants at two...no rhyme or reason really. If you get a three-piece suit (jacket, skirt and pants), you have options!

Members don't see this ad :)
so, my mom has these 2 awesome, really top notch business suits that i want to wear for my interviews. the only problem is that she is a bit shorter than i am so the skirts hit JUST above the knee... does anyone think it will be a problem? it literally at the top of my knee cap where the skirt ends. i assume that when i will be sitting down it will be behind a desk facing the interviewer, so im not too worried about the skirt riding up more (although even then it doesn't look too short or anything).... does anyone think this will be a problem? if any adcoms could reply too, i would really be grateful.

so, my mom has these 2 awesome, really top notch business suits that i want to wear for my interviews. the only problem is that she is a bit shorter than i am so the skirts hit JUST above the knee... does anyone think it will be a problem? it literally at the top of my knee cap where the skirt ends. i assume that when i will be sitting down it will be behind a desk facing the interviewer, so im not too worried about the skirt riding up more (although even then it doesn't look too short or anything).... does anyone think this will be a problem? if any adcoms could reply too, i would really be grateful.

Do the sitting test... sit in front of a mirror and cross your legs at the ankles... see anything you shouldn't be seeing?

Also, don't assume you will be sitting behind a desk. Sometimes interviews don't take place in the person's office, so there is no desk.

Lainapox....if you're ordering clothes from Victoria's Secret, their clothes tend to run a little big, so you may either want to order a size smaller or order two sizes and send one back after trying it on (sending stuff back is pretty easy, they give you labels and you can just drop them off at UPS)--hope that helps.

Lainapox....if you're ordering clothes from Victoria's Secret, their clothes tend to run a little big, so you may either want to order a size smaller or order two sizes and send one back after trying it on (sending stuff back is pretty easy, they give you labels and you can just drop them off at UPS)--hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I was actually just about to ask that!

Hi, everyone. I just came off 20 years of working on Wall Street, so I thought I'd offer up my thoughts on interview attire.

I think either pansuits or skirt suits are OK, but I'd lean toward pants myself for 2 reasons: 1. I hate stockings. 2. Don't want to worry about getting a run on interview day!

Shoes: I've always liked square toes myself, as I think they look slimming on thicker legs. (But that's just me.) I wear low heels with pants--dressy loafers or 1 1/2" heels at most. Seek out a pair of comfy but stylish shoes that go with your suit (Zappos.com has a large selection and free shipping.) It's hard to be brilliant when your feet hurt!

Tops under suits: IMO, button-downs look too mannish. I've always favored sleeveless shell sweaters or jewelneck silk blouses (short sleeve). These look nice and smooth under your suit jacket.

Jewelry: No one brought this up, but I think it's worth discussing. I think it's good to wear jewelry, if you keep it simple and classic. You can't go wrong with simple but nice gold earrings, or the classic pearl-studs- and necklace combo--not nec. real (good fakes are fine). I recommend button or clip-type earrings--no dangly styles (too casual looking).

Let's go out there and wow 'em with our style AND brains! Best of luck to all.

Last edited:

I went to a catholic hs, and their rule was that the skirt could be no shorter than 4" above the crease in the back of your knee. So my feeling would be if the nuns don't think that's sinful then you should be okay for an interview.

I went to a catholic hs, and their rule was that the skirt could be no shorter than 4" above the crease in the back of your knee. So my feeling would be if the nuns don't think that's sinful then you should be okay for an interview.

:lol: +1

Jewelry: No one brought this up, but I think it's worth discussing. I think it's good to wear jewelry, if you keep it simple and classic. You can't go wrong with simple but nice gold earrings, or the classic pearl-studs- and necklace combo--not nec. real (good fakes are fine). I recommend button or clip-type earrings--no dangly styles (too casual looking).

Good points w/ the jewelry.

Also w/ purses/bags... I didn't take one. I bought one of those leather portfolios (they have super cheap ones at Walmart that look nice enough) that have zippers so you can stick your ID, some money and your cell in it. They are also nice because they come w/ a pad of paper to write down questions/answers on which comes in handy when trying to remember the specifics of a school.

Do you all think we have to wear pantyhose? I absolutely hate them, and haven't worn them since early high school. They make me very uncomfortable, but my mom thinks it doesn't look professional to wear skirts without them.

Do you all think we have to wear pantyhose? I absolutely hate them, and haven't worn them since early high school. They make me very uncomfortable, but my mom thinks it doesn't look professional to wear skirts without them.

Yes, I think the consensus was "you really really really should wear pantyhose with skirts."

That's what I thought, one girl at my school wore them to all of her optometry interviews, and took them off before she got to the actual interview, but that's sort of a different setting. I guess I'll have to try and find some that aren't horribly uncomfortable, any suggestions?

Lipstick at the interview, ladies? If so, are you going to make a bold statement or something more subdued.

That's what I thought, one girl at my school wore them to all of her optometry interviews, and took them off before she got to the actual interview, but that's sort of a different setting. I guess I'll have to try and find some that aren't horribly uncomfortable, any suggestions?

What are those one's Oprah likes... Spanxx? Never tried them, but heard good things.

Lipstick at the interview, ladies? If so, are you going to make a bold statement or something more subdued.

:laugh:

I never wear make-up...

I think the most I'll do for the interview is foundation + chapstick :rolleyes:

Yes, I think the consensus was "you really really really should wear pantyhose with skirts."

Yes, absolutely, wear panythose with skirt suits. And throw an extra pair in your bag just in case. I managed to get a run in mine last year, but fortunately it was after my interview was over (and I was only a few feet from my car...gosh I hate ruining hose, what a pain).

And as for bags, I saw some really awful ones last year. Ugly, unprofessional yarn or knit things in really odd colors. Stop by Target or someplace similar and grab a simple, clean tote that you can fit your stuff in. I splurged on a very nice bag, but it's totally unnecessary to spend a lot of cash if you don't want to. Nothing ruins the look of a nice suit than some pink purse that looks like it belongs to a middle-schooler.

Perhaps try different sizes if you think they're uncomfortable (A/B/Q). I prefer control top because they don't move around as much, but they're tighter so you might try regular top. Read the box: anything that talks about being energizing is probably tighter than normal. I have a friend who bought a garter belt and wears only thigh highs because she can't stand the waist of hose. That seems like more to worry about, but she says it is more comfortable. I think once you're in the interview setting you'll probably forget you have them on.

Or you can wear pants.

I actually had a 3 piece suit (a jacket, with matching pants and skirt) which was great because I sometimes had interviews back to back, and I could switch out the skirt for the pants, and not have to worry about finding an iron, etc. If you only go with one, then just pick the one you think looks best on you :) If you feel like a million bucks, it'll definitely help your confidence (and therefore your interview). I wore either a thin sweater under the jacket or a sleeveless silk shell. You don't have to go the button down shirt route, as long as you still look professional (so no leopard print, haha).

Consensus is that you should wear pantyhose with skirts. Personally, I didn't wear them with my skirt suit because I hate them with a burning passion. They are like leg condoms. Bleh. It was a risk I chose to take, because I decided if my interviewer were looking at my legs so closely that they could whether I was wearing pantyhose, then they were looking too closely. And I didn't really want to go somewhere that would actually put THAT much emphasis on my underwear. The world didn't end due to my lack of pantyhose, so I can't say I regret my act of rebellion in not forcing myself into them. Does it matter? Maybe. I personally just drew the line at pantyhose.

As for heels, I'd say 3" and under is fine. I'd still pack sneakers for the tour though, ESPECIALLY if you're interviewing in cities like Pittsburgh and there are a lot of hills. Also, you can't predict the weather, so while you might be able to catwalk in your shoes just fine, you might not do so hot on cobblestone streets that are slick with rain or snow.

I brought a black leather tote for my sneakers, some mints, and a pen and pad. And I also put the handouts in there too, it was pretty convenient. You also don't need to worry about baggage, most if not all schools will have a place for you to store it.

Oh, and careful about the choice of perfume too if you choose to wear it.

A couple of tips from a non-traditional who spent years in an industry that really emphasized professional wear:

Sleeveless shells are great under blazers! You can find them at any clothing store that carries suits and professional clothes.

I second the classic jewelry. Keep it simple and don't mix it up. Stay away from dangly earrings.

Shoes -- if you don't wear heels, practice keeping them on for hours. It's one thing to walk across your living room in heels; it's another to walk around for three or four hours in them. If you're not used to them, your toes will feel like they're on fire after a couple of hours. It might not be a bad idea to pack some stylish flats for tours and only wear the heels to the interview.

Pantyhose -- definitely wear them to the interview. They may not be trendy in daily life, but they will always be trendy in the professional world. Pack a can of Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs (you can pick it up at CVS or Walgreens for about 12 bucks. I prefer the medium glow shade myself, but they have other shades as well). Before you leave for the interview, step into your shower and apply it all over your legs. It gives the look of pantyhose. Slip into your hose and interview suit after it's dry (should take about 1-3 minutes to dry). After your interview, slip out of the hose, touch-up any streaks (which you really shouldn't have because Airbrush Legs is really great, but just in case) and go. The spray-on hose will last the rest of the day to give the look of real pantyhose. Just make sure you practice this a few days before to ensure you have the right shade.

For those who plan to wear make-up who aren't used to it, here are a few tips for what they're worth:

Lipstick -- stay natural. Neutrogena has a product called Moisture Shine Tinted Lip Balm. It looks perfectly natural (and it's SPF 15). I prefer #20, but get one that looks good with your skin tone.

Eyes -- again, stay natural. The point of eyeshadow is to shape the eye. No one was born with blue eyelids. Run the shadow diagonally from inner eye to outer eye, applying a lighter color to the brow bone and to the lid itself, then blend with a cosmetic wedge. I'd say skip eyeliner unless you have very small eyes. Run some mascara over your lashes and you should be good to go.

Blush -- after you apply your foundation and powder, apply your blush to your cheeks, then run a stroke of powder over it and blot with a tissue. It looks more natural and prevents red/pink streaks across your cheeks.

what is everyone doing for coats over your suit during the winter? i really don't want to freeze during a tour...but don't have anything too professional. suggestions?

I don't usually wear high heels, and I don't really want to have to start on the day of the interview....but...I'm 5'1".

I don't want to get my pants tailored so they're short enough to fit me. I also don't want to stand out for being so short, so I bought a pair of 3 inch heels would boost me to 5'4".

But so many people have said to avoid heels that high. What'd you guys think, is this an appropriately professional looking shoe with a black pantsuit?

pKCP-4894716v275.jpg

Shemarty.. are those Naturalizers? With a nice rubber sole? If so, I bought the exact ones (and I'm 5'10"!) and I love them.. I've actually worn them out a couple times because they're very comfortable. They look great with my skirt suit and my pants also.

Sooo, now I have a few questions. First, I have brown pants and a LIGHTER blazer. They're very very expensive and I look really sharp in them, but seeing as it's not the same color pants and blazer, is this a "no-no"?? If I have something that works, I don't want to buy another suit!!! Also, for the shoes, I heard that you shouldn't wear open toed shoes. What if it's just a little tiny hole in the front (don't know what i'd call that..)? Do you think that would be ok??

Sooo, now I have a few questions. First, I have brown pants and a LIGHTER blazer. They're very very expensive and I look really sharp in them, but seeing as it's not the same color pants and blazer, is this a "no-no"?? If I have something that works, I don't want to buy another suit!!! Also, for the shoes, I heard that you shouldn't wear open toed shoes. What if it's just a little tiny hole in the front (don't know what i'd call that..)? Do you think that would be ok??

I don't think it's necessary for your pants and blazer to be the exact same color. If they look "sharp" together, I'd say you're fine. However, I would get some closed toe shoes, peep toes are great for going out but I would say "no" for interviews.

I wore a pant suit last year that had a subtle burgundy pinstripe. I put a thin burgundy turtleneck sweater underneath and went for about 2 inch closed toe heels that were really comfortable. I had a simple burgundy purse that I kept wallet, keys, phone etc in and I carried a black portfolio pad to write notes and keep all the papers and copies of my application, etc. I got a couple compliments along the way, although apparently not enough to get in! I saw about as many skirts as pants, although I did see one girl wearing 4 inch open toed stilettos and she really stood out, but not in a good way!

I don't think it's necessary for your pants and blazer to be the exact same color. If they look "sharp" together, I'd say you're fine. However, I would get some closed toe shoes, peep toes are great for going out but I would say "no" for interviews.

I wore peep toed pumps, only because I wear a size 4.5 shoe (most shoes only go down to 5), and it was the only pair I found that fit, and looked professional, that didn't cost a small fortune :/ I can't wear pumps, I walk right out of them. Sigh.

But yeah, if possible, you want to try for closed toed shoes, not only to look professional, but also because you might find yourself in a hospital setting and closed toed shoes are a good precaution :)

i like pantyhose....then again i am used to tights and a leotard from ballet and actually like the way it holds everything in.
so, do we need a portfolio or something for the interview? or whatever those leather binder type things are called? or is just a bag fine?

Agree with the above. Can anyone post a picture of the right type of bag?
Posted via Mobile Device

I wore a pant suit last year that had a subtle burgundy pinstripe. I put a thin burgundy turtleneck sweater underneath and went for about 2 inch closed toe heels that were really comfortable. I had a simple burgundy purse that I kept wallet, keys, phone etc in and I carried a black portfolio pad to write notes and keep all the papers and copies of my application, etc. I got a couple compliments along the way, although apparently not enough to get in! I saw about as many skirts as pants, although I did see one girl wearing 4 inch open toed stilettos and she really stood out, but not in a good way!

Kudos to you for wearing something other than black. I think a lot of people assume that professional = black, when that's just silly. If you look terrible in black (it's not a flattering shade on everybody, trust me!), then don't wear it! I wore either a grey or brown pinstripe suits last year, and at every interview I had at least 3 or 4 people compliment me on my outfit. Often it was an interviewer or ADCOM member who said "ah, somebody not wearing black! you look so nice!" So black is not necessarily the only option, but if you feel comfortable in it, it's fine. Personally, it makes me look like death warmed over.

As for papers, I didn't bother to bring a portfolio last year. They give you a folder at each place anyways, so you can put papers in there. I think I'll bring on this go-round, but really only because I recently acquired a very nice one :).

For bags: um, ok I don't really know how to post photos (oops :oops:) but here's two links to ones I think are nice:
expensive side of the scale: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2980087/0~2376780~6009391~6013615~6017036?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6017036&P=1
not so expensive side:
http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/br...rod400018&parentId=cat70158&subcatId=cat70168

so you don't have to drop tons of cash; I think simple is better, in a neutral color and roomy enough to stuff lots of stuff in there.

Just be careful with a bag - empty EVERYTHING out except what you need. You don't want to have to dig through a bag full of old receipts and other miscellaneous junk when all you need to find is a pen. Keep it organized.

Just be careful with a bag - empty EVERYTHING out except what you need. You don't want to have to dig through a bag full of old receipts and other miscellaneous junk when all you need to find is a pen. Keep it organized.

That, and if you have extra junk in there, it might become unbearably heavy. And if you are interviewing at a school that has a long tour, that might not be such a good thing. Internal pockets in the bag are also a good thing!

I wore peep toed pumps, only because I wear a size 4.5 shoe (most shoes only go down to 5), and it was the only pair I found that fit, and looked professional, that didn't cost a small fortune :/ I can't wear pumps, I walk right out of them. Sigh.

You wear a 4.5??? Holy crap. My foot is more than double the size of yours :laugh:

Agree with the above. Can anyone post a picture of the right type of bag?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/upimg4\Leather-Portfolio_102494.jpg

There's a picture of a nice portfolio if you want to go w/ something like that. It's nice because it is zippered so everything stays put. And, they have one at Walmart for like less than $10 and it looks perfectly nice.

ooo.. that is a really nice portfolio. shame i do not have a walmart near me.. i also don;t have any interviews as of now to worry about ;)

I had to wear pantyhose pretty much every day for 5 years working in retail, so I decided to wear pants for my interview to avoid spending a day in those wretched things. Plus, if your pants are long enough, you can get away w/ wearing flats, while still looking professional (I hate heels for the same reason I hate pantyhose).

As for the purses, I only saw those leather portfolios. I am not great at accessorizing/organizing so I didn't think to bring anything like a purse or portfolio w/ me (all my IDs fit into my pants' pockets w/o bulging), but it didn't matter b/c the school gave out their informational folders as soon as we checked in, and they included a pencil, so I was set.

I'm thinking about getting these shoes from ecco:

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/womens/dress/coventry-pump/1818/detail.aspx

They're really, really expensive, but ecco shoes are supposedly so comfortable, they make you feel like you're walking barefoot. I'm a bit worried about the 2 3/4" heel, though. I'm comfortable with my 3" ballroom shoes, but those are designed for dancing. :)

If you are looking for ecco pumps, check out endless.com. Here's a similar pair for $77, plus it's free overnight shipping and you have a year to return items. I usually order two sizes and return one so that I can get the right fit. http://www.endless.com/ECCO-Womens-...Q,B000S5XTKK,B000VS8DH8,B000VS4EV2,B000VS6NU2

If you are looking for ecco pumps, check out endless.com. Here's a similar pair for $77, plus it's free overnight shipping and you have a year to return items. I usually order two sizes and return one so that I can get the right fit. http://www.endless.com/ECCO-Womens-...Q,B000S5XTKK,B000VS8DH8,B000VS4EV2,B000VS6NU2

Thanks for the resource! It looks like the tan shoes are $77, but the black pair is still full price, and I have a black suit. I have an interview in two weeks, but I'll keep checking the site. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.