MD to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodgoose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a resident physician but would like to be a PA. Does anyone know if my med school would count for PA training? Can I sit for the PA licensing exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident physician but would like to be a PA. Does anyone know if my med school would count for PA training? Can I sit for the PA licensing exam?
To sit for the PA license exam you have to graduate from a PA program. As far as med school training the only program I am aware of that gives you any credit for PA school is University of Iowa and then only if you went to medical school there. Also you should be aware that several states will not license you as a PA if you have graduated medical school.

If you want to be a PA go to PA school. I would tend to call foul on this, since if you are a resident and an AMG you can get an unrestricted license in many states which will give you more privileges than a PA.

Maybe we could add this to the FAQ since it seems to come up about once a month.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Why exactly do you want to go from a MD to a PA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the helpful info.

As to why I want to be a PA instead of MD... I've done really well throughout my training, but I think that being a PA provides more opportunities which more easily facilitate balance in one's life... especially when you have a family. I'd like to be able to leave my residency and start working as a PA... but it looks as though I will need to apply to PA school first.

No matter how often this question comes up it always baffles me. Speaking as a PA trying to go to medical school....

I would say unless you have very little med school debt it will not behoove you to go from physician to PA. You won't be able to make up the salary difference to pay the loans you've incurred from med school. If however you are in a good financial position to do so, then I wish you luck, although I have no earthly idea why you would want to demote yourself this late in the game. :confused:

I also would be very careful in looking into any state you're interested in living/working to make sure you could even BE licensed as a PA after completing a US medical school program. As a resident physician you are already a licensed physician--even if it is a "training license". It does you no good to give up another 2.5 years to become a PA if you cannot get a license (off-topic, I'm not sure why there exist such barriers, because we DO train plenty of FMGs as PAs and they have no problem getting licensed--guess we could consider it a US bias).

Think long and hard about this. There are plenty of opportunities to work part-time, flex schedule etc. as a physician for better PA proportionally.

Lisa

Thanks for all the helpful info.

As to why I want to be a PA instead of MD... I've done really well throughout my training, but I think that being a PA provides more opportunities which more easily facilitate balance in one's life... especially when you have a family. I'd like to be able to leave my residency and start working as a PA... but it looks as though I will need to apply to PA school first.

Don't feed the troll!
This is someone trying to start a flame war. Let the thread die now!
Post #1 ever md to pa. Definitely a troll.

Im sure once you leave you leave residency you can find a physician position that suits your QOL desires. It will not offer you the same economy or lifestyle as most of your colleagues. Once you complete your MD why not apply to clinics looking for a PA and offer to work in that role along with the hours, job function, and payment....

I love practicing as a PA and where it has taken my career but if I was in your position I would just push on and finish residency and then take control fo your life.

good luck.

The OP may not be a troll. There was an extensive debate on Sermo a few weeks ago about this same issue. The person posted it, stating they basically wanted to have the opportunity to move from one specialty to another. Most people weighed in stating you would basically have to forfeit your M.D. degree (don't know if this is possible) b/c P.A. schools do not allow MDs to gain acceptance. Never checked into this so I don't know the accuracy, but good luck if interested.
For me, I would finish the residency, especially if FP/IM. If you did IM or FP, you can definitely make your practice fit the lifestyle you want.

Thank you again for all your helpful advice.

For the record, I am not a troll... I don't even know what that means. I had a genuine question, and am very grateful that there is a website with an interactive forum to help answer it. So, sincerest thanks for those who answered.

i dont get this :confused: MD to PA? r u from a caribbean med school?

Reactions: 1 user
The ability to switch to other specialties without an additional residency is very attractive.

OP, you can do job sharing. My son's pediatrician only works 2-3 days a week, as part of a large, multi-doctor practice. I think you should keep the MD that you worked so hard for. I would KILL to have the time to go to med school, but I am 32, have a small child, and don't want to miss seeing him grow up. PA school for me is a second choice.

i dont get this :confused: MD to PA? r u from a caribbean med school?
I am and am wondering the same thing as one year of residency and not being able to get back in has gotten me no where

Wasn't it in Missouri were unmatched graduates can work as an assistant physician? Wouldn't you rather do that for a few years than going back to school to become a PA (if they allow it)? At least you would be working as a physician and you could use the MD degree.

I am and am wondering the same thing as one year of residency and not being able to get back in has gotten me no where
Are you saying you are a Carib grad with 1-yr post-grad training and no license to practice?

Here is what I wrote in another thread to someone who is in a similar situation...

You should be able to get a license in Puerto Rico and work for the Feds (Prison system, Indian Health Service, etc...). I solve your problem right here.

My friend is doing pretty well with a GP license (Puerto Rico) working for the prison system in the Northeast (a desirable state) making ~200k/year with crazy benefits (federal benefits).

Why don't people know these loopholes?

Here are the requirements for a PR license:

Eligibility Requirements:
  • USMLE Attempt Limit: No attempt limit.
  • USMLE Time Limit: Must complete USMLE steps I, II, & III within 7 years of passing the first step.
  • PGY (AMG): 1 Year
  • PGY (IMG): 1 Year
  • SPEX/COMVEX: Not required.

I have a similar question but for a different reason. I'm a licensed MD and practiced for several years in the military but never completed residency, choosing instead to pursue a MBA and leave full-time clinical practice. I'm interested in practicing part-time, but employers (in my current locale) seem unwilling to accept an unboarded physician, despite my license and experience, and even if they hire APPs (I figure, at worst, I'm equivalent to an APP who doesn't need to be supervised). Were I to be able to obtain a PA license, I would fit in a standard category with which the healthcare industry has more familiarity, so I assume it would be easier to be hired. Has anyone else run into a similar situation, either as an employer or (potential) employee? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a similar question but for a different reason. I'm a licensed MD and practiced for several years in the military but never completed residency, choosing instead to pursue a MBA and leave full-time clinical practice. I'm interested in practicing part-time, but employers (in my current locale) seem unwilling to accept an unboarded physician, despite my license and experience, and even if they hire APPs (I figure, at worst, I'm equivalent to an APP who doesn't need to be supervised). Were I to be able to obtain a PA license, I would fit in a standard category with which the healthcare industry has more familiarity, so I assume it would be easier to be hired. Has anyone else run into a similar situation, either as an employer or (potential) employee? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That would be a waste of talent, time/money(pa school isnt cheap). Can you not work for the VA? Apply for a residency?

Reactions: 1 users