DAT Done 9/10/09 FRAPPED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albuterol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to say SDN is probably the best study resource out there. With so many minds and input, you really are able to build your knowledge. I want to thank everyone who answered my questions and threads. Also a shout out to the many friends I made on SDN. Gluck to those still studying! For those taking the test in NJ, I recommend u sign up for the West Orange Center. The people are really nice, you get 2 fine tip markers, a big eraser, 2 sheets of paper, and only about 8-9 computers there so it’s really quiet except for the A/C that’s roaring like a truck. I was rocking the monster orange earphones. Silenced out the A/C but they started to hurt my ears after a bit so I ditched them.

Breakdown of Scores:
PAT: 19 (76.8%tile)
QR: 18 (74.1%tile)
RC: 18 (39.0%tile)
Biology: 22 (95.8%tile)
GC: 22 (89.5%tile)
Orgo: 29 (100%tile)!!!!
Total Science: 23 (98.3%tile)!!!!
Academic Avg: 22(95.9%tile)!!!!!

Biology: WOW , holy crap man. This was such a random section. Honestly, I am very happy with my 22, I really did think I was getting an 18. But man there are some weird questions the DAT throws at you and you’re like why are you asking me this. How is this going to prepare for a dental education? If you think they aren’t going to ask a particular topic, make sure u study it and cover all your bases. Honestly, when I saw FRAP I was like crap, why me haha but I didn’t let it affect my overall mental state. I kept chugging along. Also I marked about the first 15 questions b/c I was so nervous but after a bit I calmed down returned to them at the end and double checked that I wasn’t picking crazy answers.
Materials- TPR MCAT Hyperlearning Biological Sciences (great book, breaks down the physiology really well), Cliffs AP Biology (great resource, I read this once after I finished the MCAT Bio book. Then I kept reading the Eco, Evo, physio section in this book probably read them 4-5x) , Destroyer

Chem- Pretty straightforward, my exam was 1-2 calc problems, mainly setup and mostly conceptual. Pretty easy, I wonder what I got wrong.
Materials: TPR MCAT Hyperlearning Physical Sciences book (great book, breaks down the concepts really well) Destroyer

Orgo- I knew I was doing well on this, but man did not expect a perfect score. Incredibly happy =). Pretty straightforward, if you can do destroyer you can get a perfect score too! Make sure u brush up on HNMR, CNMR. Really Orgo and Chem are the places where u should really try to score high, b/c there is a limited amount of questions they can ask you. Make sure you have a clear solid foundation. SDN is very helpful when coming to questions.
Materials: Kaplan Bluebook but ditched it for Destroyer.

PAT- Well I did the CDP tests and found it really representative of it. Not sure what went wrong here but I am happy with a 19. A little disappointed because I had been scoring 20s on CDP, but I’ll take it. Thought Keyhole and TFE were a little more difficult than CDP, angles/punch/cube/folding easier than CDP. Just make sure u keep practicing b/c it is very easy to lose that “it” factor when doing PAT.

RC: Frapped, Ethics bad, other 2 passages OK. I mean if I had another 15minutes I would’ve possibly had a 20. I am happy with an 18 though.

QR- Honestly didn’t give much attention to this. I really am not that great at math so am very happy with my score. I didn’t do much, but the day before I did a bunch of Crack Dat Math section tests on word problems, trigs, geometry. My exam was about 10 word problems, everything else was straight forward. Had a few WTF are u asking me questions. Just skipped and went on. I only guessed on 2 of them, but like I said im not very good at math lol

Practice Scores for those that care:
Crack DAT PAT

Achiever (TS/AA/bio/chem./orgo/pat/rc/qr/)
Test 1 19/19/17/21/17/16/21/18
Test 2 17/18/18/16/16/*/18/18
Test 3 18/20/17/18/19/*/22/19

Topscore (TS/AA/bio/chem./orgo/pat/rc/qr/)
Test 1 18/19/21/18/15/20/20/19
Test 2 22/21/21/20/25/19/22/17
Test 3 20/*/19/20/21/*/*/20

I really needed a high DAT score b/c my gpa sci/cum ~3.0. Currently, doing a 1yr postbac where I’m taking 400lvl undergrad biology courses to boost it up to around 3.2. Probably going to apply next cycle, since I think I am late for this one. Let me know your thoughts and which schools I should target. Thanks again everyone for all the help and if any one has any questions please go ahead and I'll try to answer them as best as i can!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are basically teh same as mine! Good job! Interviews be rollin in soon. haa

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh hell yeah thats ma boy!!!!

way to 22 possibly the hardest DAT test....frap??? how about you frapped that test:thumbup::lock:

way to perfect orgo we need to start a club up:laugh:

where you planning on going to school with a 22 you pretty much get your pick:cool:

thanks guys! honestly, u guys were also very helpful in my learning and I want to give a big thank you!

congratss.!!......hope youdont forget to help us on 'DAT discussion.'.!!

Man you rocked it. I take it the asthma did not play in to your nervousness :rolleyes:.

Congrats you deserve it and now burn all of the study material cause you are in.

damn u guys feel really confident about me getting somewhere even with a ~3.0 gpa lol...i know i got good DAT scores but isnt the GPA going to hold me back places?

alright!!! those are awesome scores... You're going to DENTAL SCHOOL.. I can feel it.. I hope you can feel the same for me.."!! now enjoy! classes will not be that bad...:)

damn u guys feel really confident about me getting somewhere even with a ~3.0 gpa lol...i know i got good DAT scores but isnt the GPA going to hold me back places?

Haha albuterol...aren't you getting the feeling that people are blatantly ignoring your GPA hehe?

Naw, but good job dude. I know your a smart guy and you deserve it. Doesn't it feel so good being done with it and with a good score!!!

Your DAT is great, schools will like that, and if you get your GPA to around 3.3 I think you should get into most schools (I'm only guessing) if you apply next cycle in May.

Good job and start relaxing!

your insane to not attempt to apply to a few schools at least...if you don't make it then boost your avg but I think with your DAT scores it will cover your *****....

send out some apps man

Members don't see this ad :)
i think its not toooo late for this cycle.... so apply as soon as you can. Your scores are great!! And if nothing happens than reapply

Well done Albuterol, I think you have a chance at NYU and Temple, their deadlines are next year, also GPA averages are around 3.3 both cum and sci, so do not be affraid and apply this cycle. You might be surprised with some good news. If you want apply to Marquette, you can send an application straight to the school, it will be faster that way, than fax a DAT, they will look at it while waiting for official scores. Great performance on the DAT...take advantage of it now!:bow:

clutch scores, do you think the Kaplan is a good souce for Orgo?

also how many pages is orgo destroyer? I MAY buy

Last edited:

Destroyers Orgo is ~190 questions. I would def recommend that over Kaplans, provided that you have a solid background and you know the basics.

Hey, Albuterol
Congrats !!! I new you gonna rock that DAT. Your scores are amazing !!!:thumbup:Goooo Jersey!!! Will PM you if I have any questions
Awuah

NICE WORK!! You really rocked it. Is your personal statement ready? If it is you might as well send it in ASAP and like someone said NYU youll have a good shot.
Great job!!

I would like to extend my congratulations to you! My GPA is around the same as yours. I am finishing up a Masters in Public Health; i am retaking my DAT in November; and i am so frustrated cause i can't get anything past 16 in GCHEM, Orgo 18, Bio 17-18, PAT 17-18. Do you think most dental school consider high GPA for MPH degrees? what do you think i should do concerning CHEM? Some study tips please. I am also in NJ; Hoping to get into UMDNJ. Please PM me. You will definitely get into Dental school Thank you! God bless!

congrats man you deserve it. I was wondering what approach did you use for this killer reading comp.

Last edited:
congrat!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

my test is coming up soon, i've been mainly reading AP Cliff's Bio. & Destroyer for Biology section. Would you say this is enough?

Any suggestions on studying for Biology?

hey man,
i thought kaplan was good if ur foundation was weak, but it wasnt really helping me learn anything. so i ditched it for destroyer. I memorized the roadmaps and then began working on the questions. i went through destroyer orgo 3-4x. I found the problems helped reinforce the roadmaps and the expalantions in the back were really helpful too. i think destoyer is a valuable asset in ur study library. Kaplan subject tests were good for practice too.

congrats man you deserve it. I was wondering what approach did you use for this killer reading comp.

i skipped the ethics passage and did the other 2 passages first they werent so bad. then came back to ethics with 25-20min left. read it and attacked the questions.

congrat!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

my test is coming up soon, i've been mainly reading AP Cliff's Bio. & Destroyer for Biology section. Would you say this is enough?

Any suggestions on studying for Biology?

AP cliffs bio and destroyer is a good combo. Make sure u know everything about biology. No i'm really serious haha do not ignore any aspect of biology b/c the test is really that random. Read Cliffs then attack the questions in destroyer while reading. Explanations at the end of the chapter are really helpful b/c not only will u get to see why the answer is right but why the others are wrong. I learned a lot through the explanations. gl