Any low cGPA and sGPAs with interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that there is a low MCAT thread but there isn't a low GPA thread. here's a thread for people with low GPA who have gotten interviews?? (and when i mean low i don't mean you have a 3.8 and not a 4.0 i mean below a 3.5) bring some hope to the rest of us!

Members don't see this ad.

i know that there is a low MCAT thread but there isn't a low GPA thread. here's a thread for people with low GPA who have gotten interviews?? (and when i mean low i don't mean you have a 3.8 and not a 4.0 i mean below a 3.5) bring some hope to the rest of us!

Regardless of your being asian ( I say this because asians need higher stats than any other race), i think you have a great shot at many of the schools in your MDapps, esp if you went to a top 25 or above school

Regardless of your being asian ( I say this because asians need higher stats than any other race), i think you have a great shot at many of the schools in your MDapps, esp if you went to a top 25 or above school

thanks for the encouragement! i'm at northwestern just to let you know. is that considered top 25? i was also engineering until end of sophomore year but then i switched to Communication Sciences and Disorders.

Members don't see this ad :)

While below average, I would still consider your g.p.a. within 1 standard deviation of the average for matriculants. It shouldn't hold you back much. A 3.4 is just not considered low in my opinion. I know gobs of people in med school with similar numbers.

look at my MDApps profile... 4 interviews so far with way below average gpa

Last edited:
hey i have a 3.44 cGPA, 3.22 sGPA in bio from Stanford, with a 36S mcat (and im asian). so far, i have gotten interviews at Georgetown and University of Maryland. ya never know, so give the application process all you got! :laugh:

Good stuff!!! I'm also in the GPA < 3.5 range, so I'm hoping we see more people like you in this thread. I'm still waiting to hear.

I have a 3.48 cumulative GPA and I have an interview at Tulane. I started out horribly, but there is a strong upward trend and I got a 34 on the MCAT.

Dudette, your stats are totally fine! I have lower stats than all of you :p 1 rejection so far, and no interviews. Then again, I've only been complete since late August/early September at majority of schools. Still not finished with about 8 or 9 secondaries.

I am not a URM and my gpa is <3.4, I have 4 DO and 3 MD interviews so far.

hey i have a 3.44 cGPA, 3.22 sGPA in bio from Stanford, with a 36S mcat (and im asian). so far, i have gotten interviews at Georgetown and University of Maryland. ya never know, so give the application process all you got! :laugh:

congratulations! you have some good ecs!

I'm URM, so maybe I don't count but I'm doing well and my gpa is <3.5.....

of course you count, an interview is an interview, and you have some really nice ones! congratulations

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations to everyone :) its too hard to write individual ones

I also have a sGPA of 3.36 and cGPA of 3.51, and 3 interviews so far. Not a URM. Stay positive! :luck:

I have ~3.53 cgpa and 3.5 science, and I have 5 interviews at some good schools (upitt, case, unc, urochester, dartmouth)....

I'm asian...but I've got some really unique ECs.

Mind sharing your MCAT score also?

No interviews or rejections yet. Starting to :scared::scared::scared:. My low GPAs may be the death of me after all...

No interviews or rejections yet. Starting to :scared::scared::scared:. My low GPAs may be the death of me after all...

you are totally fine! your AMCAS got verified in august and you are just finishing your secondaries. my AMCAs got verified on the first day of july and i finished most of my secondaries by mid july and am just now starting to hear (although most schools say that my application is under review on their website). be patient, you'll be okay! and i recommend applying to georgetown, they were friendly to me ;)

you are totally fine! your AMCAS got verified in august and you are just finishing your secondaries. my AMCAs got verified on the first day of july and i finished most of my secondaries by mid july and am just now starting to hear (although most schools say that my application is under review on their website). be patient, you'll be okay! and i recommend applying to georgetown, they were friendly to me ;)

Thanks for the encouragement :) I checked out your app, we're remarkably similar. I'll add Gtown ASAP. Good luck at interviews and PM me if you need any advice about traveling to/staying around Gtown (EDIT: Just noticed you're from DC, guess you won't be needing help hehe...). Meanwhile I'll try to stop freaking out...

my sgpa was around 3.4 and i have 3 MD interviews so far

cGPA of 3.3, sGPA is < 3.3, and MCAT is 35. Two interviews so far.

Last cycle I applied and did not receive a single interview. I cleaned up my application to more fully represent who I am, wrote it more passionately and cleanly, have done some activities in the intervening year that have cemented where I want to go in my life, and finally, also took another year of post-bacc classes to really bolster my commitment.

This year, I applied early and extremely broadly and I am absolutely blown away that I have 5 interviews so far. I am truly humbled by this. I guess it really highlights how if you are genuine in your intentions, emotive in your writing, and really grounded about where you are coming from, someone will listen to you. Don't give up, there is hope. Be honest and be yourself in your application and hopefully you can let that shine through.

well, you can see from my mdapps that my gpa and mcat scores are both super low but I'm hoping to get into U of IL and i'm well within their range so hopefully, i'll at least get that acceptance *crosses fingers*

3.4 GPA (3.2 BCPM). 34 MCAT. 5 interviews. 2 "competitive applicant pool"s. Not URM...CA resident...I freaked about my numbers but apparently most schools aren't super caught up in that!! (I noticed georgetown mentioned earlier....I've heard they are super into numbers FYI)

I didn't look at your MDApps but I wouldn't worry too much. Process is really random

Hey - cGPA of 3.3, sGPA of 3.3, and MCAT is 32. Three MD interviews, three rejections so far. AMCAS verified early July, most of my secondaries complete mid-Auguest (I think that is really helping). I am non-URM, and a bit of a non-trad (out of college for 3 years), but have some unique ECs in the medical field which I've been involved in for the past 3 years which I think might be tipping the scale in my favor. This is my first cycle, and I'm shocked and giddy that I'm batting .500 so far.

In short, I agree with above posters that with low numbers the best bet is apply early, broadly, at schools whose goals match yours (clinical vs research, etc), spend quality time on your secondaries and make sure they represent you genuinely, and if your numbers are low - consider taking a year or two post-graduation to throw yourself wholly into an activity or job which will prove you know what you're getting yourself into.

I'm so glad to see others with my profile succeeding as well! Good luck everyone!

hey if you guys don't mind can we write cGPA, sGPA, MCAT then which schools you have interviews from? cool thanks!

3.30 cum and a 3.47 science. decent MCAT.

1 interview so far. Still hoping for a few more. Original goal= 5 interviews, two acceptances. I feel for you other B+ students out there..

graduated with a 3.3 cumulative and just below 3.3 science from undergrad and have 4 interviews this year.

I do have a master's degree, though.

This thread gives me hope. =) Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel, which I perceive to be hope, won't turn out to be the Rejection Train.

Not only did I get interviews, I was accepted (MD schools) with a 3.1 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA (strong upward trend, I did poorly in two classes). It's a hard road but it can be done!

Last edited:
I have one as of now (Pitt) and most of my secondaries were submitted the first week of September but I am still working on some and waiting to hear back from others.

3.23 undergrad cumulative. 3.42 cumulative after postbacc. 3.50 cumulative bcpm and 32M MCAT.

... I have 8 interviews, 0 rejections (to speak of, oh they will come).

I wouldn't post that, normally, because I don't want to jinx the incredible luck I seem to be having... but in this case, I'm hoping that someone with similar stats will take some solace in my success thus far, and believe that if you live with integrity and passion, people will recognize it - in spite of the numbers.

Beyond a certain minimum point, academic statistics are no match for being a decent, loving human being who sincerely cares about making the next person's life just *that much* better. Just do that and you'll make it.

3.51 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA -- 2 interviews at competitive (US News top 15 MD schools) MSTPs so far... 3 rejections (2 MD and 1 MSTP); 35T MCAT and no publications. For how freaked out I was going into the cycle, and even approaching two months of silence at most schools, I'm happy with how things have gone so far. Best of luck to everyone else in the lower-than-average GPA crowd.

Where I'm at(a top 25 school), the stats report that 92% of those with GPAs of at least 3.3 and an MCAT of 30 get in to an allopathic medical school within one year. With a GPA between 3.0-3.5 you would still be a strong candidate for an SMP and/or Osteopathic medical school, which is fine for becoming a physician.

Are you required to report your ethnicity or do they check it off at the interview?

yeap, in CA

I've got a 3.5 overall and 3.3 BCMP (although with a significant upward trend) and a 31 MCAT. I only applied to my two state schools, and I just recieved an interview from one school but not complete at the other yet.

There is no way in hell you're going to get into med school with a 1 in verbal.

y

Last edited:
i had a pretty bad undergrad science GPA (3.48) but mostly due to one bad math class where i got a C freshman year. Good grad school and post-bac sGPAs (>3.7), getting a PhD in neuroscience next yr, great Recs from med school profs i've collaborated with on research ... applied to a lot of top schools but no interviews yet ... (though most Completed by mid Sept). should i be worrying? should i apply to more schools while there is still time? :confused:

3.35 (both), top 5 undergrad, 35 mcat, 5 interviews, 2 rejections, 9 outstanding.

Oh, and pasty, pasty white.