Any low cGPA and sGPAs with interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2.7 BCPM GPA
3.0 Overall GPA

I have had 4 interviews so far, two decisions coming in the next few weeks, 2 decisions in January. I just had fun wherever I interviewed....I'm passionate about my future job :xf: and I think that it shows in my entire application, not just my grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Update:

cGPA: 3.35
scGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 34R

So far:
2 post-secondary rejections
1 pre-interview hold
8 interview invites
1 post-interview hold
Still waiting on post-interview decision from 1 school
5 acceptances (4 MD, 1 DO)

Complete and no news from two schools.

Not too shabby, for a guy who took 16 years to finish college.

Last edited:
sGPA 3.22
cGPA 3.45
MCAT #1 30T, MCAT #2 36S
HYPS undergrad
Asian-American Male

9 interviews (Penn State, MCW, Vermont, Maryland, G'town, Wisconsin-Madison, Case Western, Brown, Duke)

5 acceptances
2 pre-interview withdraws
0 waitlist
2 pending as of 12/18

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very interested to know how many of these "its not all about the numbers" people with low grades and lots of interviews are URM or claimed disadvantaged status.

DRLyss: "this happened to me recently, except I was the only URM. It made me feel really uncomfortable which then prompted me to make this thread (although I appreciated hearing a minority's perspective of the school)."

I saw that DrLyss is an URM. I think it is helpful to others to indicate whether you applied as URM or disadvantaged because.. as was often quoted on this thread, "it's not all about the numbers." Clinical experience, disadvantaged status, extra currics, etc all play a major part in the decision-making process of adcoms

FYI, I'm a nonURM non disadvantaged with so-so stats. Just interviewed at my top choice, UCLA! But I come from an interesting nontrad background and even though my overall GPA is so-so, my postbac science GPA was a 3.9!

Ha! I'm half asian half white.. i represent 2/3 of the world's population!

Low GPA, Hispanic applicant with 6 interviews and no acceptances. No disadvantaged status claimed. Word. Say what you will about my URM status; it won't stop me from thinking that I'm a solid applicant.

AtG

i agree with you. i don't think disadvantaged makes a big difference

DRLyss: "this happened to me recently, except I was the only URM. It made me feel really uncomfortable which then prompted me to make this thread (although I appreciated hearing a minority's perspective of the school)."

I saw that DrLyss is an URM. I think it is helpful to others to indicate whether you applied as URM or disadvantaged because.. as was often quoted on this thread, "it's not all about the numbers." Clinical experience, disadvantaged status, extra currics, etc all play a major part in the decision-making process of adcoms

FYI, I'm a nonURM non disadvantaged with so-so stats. Just interviewed at my top choice, UCLA! But I come from an interesting nontrad background and even though my overall GPA is so-so, my postbac science GPA was a 3.9!
... thanks for stalking me...

Yea I'm an URM I'm sorry I forgot to wear my badge or add it to my signature because every post I write should be seen through my minority goggles (my mistake). Maybe we should make a separate thread for URMs since obviously anything we accomplish is negated in the premed forum.

A poster had asked if anyone knew if anyone had happened to apply URM or disadvantaged. When I read through threads I often click on the profiles of people contributing to the thread and saw that you were active in the URM in healthcare threads. I'm an older nontrad student and this often gets mentioned when I contribute to posts.. it's a badge of honor..nothing to be defensive about.. and no offense was meant to you. Seriously. No offense. I apologize if my mentioning that you were an URM in the context of the thread rubbed you the wrong way.

Last edited:
A poster had asked if anyone knew if anyone had happened to apply URM or disadvantaged. When I read through threads I often click on the profiles of people contributing to the thread and saw that you were active in the URM in healthcare threads. I'm an older nontrad student and this often gets mentioned when I contribute to posts.. it's a badge of honor..nothing to be defensive about.. and no offense was meant to you. Seriously. No offense. I apologize if my mentioning that you were an URM in the context of the thread rubbed you the wrong way.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound defensive and I'm in no way ashamed of being what I am. I'd just prefer for me to qualify myself rather than someone else (even though i don't think I should have to do this but whatever). I don't hide it and it's not hard for anyone to see. Unfortunately, on this forum, being a URM is not often seen as a badge of honor but rather as a target for anger.

It doesn't matter I deleted my original post anyway. Sorry if I came off as upset =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna echo what DRLyss said. I didn't mean to sound offensive; I just wanted to fend off the potential URM-bashing that is so prevalent in some of these threads.

AtG

I in no way meant to spur any sort of offensive conversation about URMs or those claiming disadvantage status. I agree that ANYONE with an interview is qualified to practice medicine. But having better or identical stats to most of those who have posted (3.49 and 33) and sitting on only two interviews (one being my state school) it is extremely frustrating. Because like most of you, I feel my race and gender (white, male) don't make me less or more qualified to practice medicine. But evidently it does make it harder to get there.

2.92 cGPA
43R MCAT
4 interviews, 1 waitlist so far

Posted at the top of the page but I have my first acceptance now!!!!
4 interviews so far, 2 of the decisions will come out in January, and one interview in January.
3.3 science 3.5 overall 36 MCAT, white girl (since we're keeping track now), not disadvantaged
:love::soexcited::clap::soexcited::love:

Most of you guys with 3.2-3.3 GPA's seem to have pretty decent MCAT scores, was the GPA just a result of not studying enough of/laziness"

Most of you guys with 3.2-3.3 GPA's seem to have pretty decent MCAT scores, was the GPA just a result of not studying enough of/laziness"

Not laziness at all, but definitely not able to study enough. I had to work a lot and deal with some extra things outside of school.
Also, I worked my butt off for MCAT because I knew that was my shot to make up for it. So, even though I worked 60 hours a week, I studied A LOT. It was basically get up, go to MCAT review course, go to job 1, go to job 2, study until midnight or later, repeat.

Now that I have a couple of interviews (both arrived in my inbox this week . . . phew!), I'd love to join this thread!

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT (3x): 28, 30, 29 (uh, yeah, that 3rd time was dumb. D'oh!)

2 interviews: Mizzou (IS), Louisville (OOS, but w/state ties)

I'm a non-trad and am kind of the "what not to do" story . . . I dove into my post-bacc work headfirst, and started out strong but then made the mistake of putting waaaay too much on my plate and letting my grades go down the tubes. I have since realized that I needed to buckle down if I ever wanted to make med school a reality, and I've gotten A's in my upper-level science classes (micro and biochem), and *hopefully* another in A&P this semester (can't wait to send my schools an updated transcript!).

Oh, and I'm also a re-app . . . applied RIDICULOUSLY late last year (apps complete in Jan.)

I've learned a lot along the way . . . but perhaps the best lesson has been to keep at it and never give up hope!

Congrats and best of luck to everyone on here! :thumbup::luck:

I posted earlier about getting an interview. Just dropping by to say that it turned into an acceptance!!! At one of my top choice schools!! It may even be an MD/PhD in Linguistics.. though that part isn't official yet. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.35
sGPA: 2.97
MCAT: 35

Best luck to everyone here! Dreams do come true sometimes :luck::luck::luck:

sGPA = 3.3
cGPA = 3.3
MCAT = 10, 11, 11 Q

5 interviews (hoping for more)
Post-interview responses: 1 rejection, 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance (!), 2 pending.

My GPAs are a result of a combination of trying to do too much. Working a significant amount in college, member of the varsity soccer and track teams during college, double major in History and Biochemistry. Also - my last two years of college would have been a solid upward trend (all As and A-'s) except for ONE teacher! Unfortunately I went to a tiny school, and for my Biochem major I had to have her - but she had some problem with my class. No matter how hard I tried or how well I knew the material, none of us could get good grades in her classes (and there were only 5 of us - all the biochem majors in my graduation class). Analytical Chem = C, Physical Chem = C, Biochemistry of Nutrition = B-. Except for those three courses, my cGPA would be 3.85 for my last 2.5 years of college, and I would have had a respectable sGPA of around 3.6 overall, showing significant upward trend. :rolleyes: Oh well - I'm working with what I've got, and it's turning out alright for me.

Oh - and I'm a lower/middle-class white girl, no URM or disadvantage.

3.3 cum, 3.1 science
MCAT: 28 (11 VR, 10 BS, 7 PS) and 31 (10 VR, 9 BS, 12 PS)
2 acceptances, not URM/disadvantaged

Not in my case; it was a mixture of trying to do too much, not being adequately prepared for college after high school (even though I took AP classes I wrote maybe 6 papers throughout high school and over 20 my 1st semester of college so my skills were seriously lacking, I also spent more time watching TV in school than at home~my AP government teacher thought watching West Wing every week was a great substitute for teaching), and being a little too arrogant to ask for the advice of upperclassmen. I should have asked what classes to take/not take for decent grades. I ended up taking my classes in reverse order, meaning I took the more specialized classes before taking the foundation classes~ie I took graduate-level immunology as my first upper-level biology class without taking cell biology, genetics, or biochemistry... It was difficult but it make the other classes fairly easy and I didn't have to work very hard for my "upward trend."

3.5 cGPA 3.4 sGPA. 34 mcat

asian chick, so definitely ORM

4 interviews: rush, rosalind franklin, albany, VCU
1 acceptance: rush
1 waitlist: albany
2 pending

Hey guys, just wanted to put in some hope for the rest of you out there. I'll give some context to start with.

2.5 years ago I started down this path with little research experience, no volunteering experience and a 2.9~cGPA. I made a realistic 3 year plan about what I would have to do, how hard I would have to work, and what I would have to sacrifice in order to be what I wanted to be.

It's 2.5 years and 2 application cycles later and I am a combination of scared, elated, and humbled by the progress I've had so far. I approached this goal with determination and a positive attitude, and by god I finally made it.

If you want this you can have it. More importantly, however, if you want this and you are realistic about what it will actually require of you to even just have a shot...then you will get your shot.

This is my second application cycle, and in last year's application cycle I applied to 20 schools (I think?) and received zero interviews.

In this second application cycle I applied to 40 schools, really and truly thinking that I may only get 1 or 2 interviews, if that...and only just wanting one school to believe in me.

As it stands, 2008 is coming to a close and I've been invited to 14 interviews, and accepted at 2 schools (EDIT: Update - Make that 3 schools. Just accepted to CASE today!) Some of my interviews were schools I did not even dream would look at me: Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, Mount Sinai, Case, CCLCM...And you know what? If I were to close out the application cycle right here and now I'd just be wholly grateful. I'm still going to do everything in my power to go to the best fit school for me that I possibly can, but all that matters is that somehow, I've been given the most precious chance to pursue my life the way that I envisioned it...and I can't wait to start. Furthermore, in all it's deeply truthful cliched glory: If I can do it; If I can make it here, then you guys with low GPAs can too. You really, really can.

So if you guys are down on yourselves for not doing better in University, or feeling insecure about your chances, just stop. Sit down, evaluate your situation and come up with a realistic, long-term plan for what you'll have to do to get there. Because, the bottom line is: if you are really willing to make the sacrifices that are required in your specific situation, there is a way to make it happen. It might take 1 more year, or 2 more years, or 3 more years, but there is way for it to become a reality.

Good luck guys. Don't get sad, get determined and happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hope! I'm sortof in the same boat, so reading your story let's me know I still have a chance. I think if medicine is really what you want to do and you work for it, medical schools see that. Good luck!

I wish I would have seen this thread a loooooong time ago. I definitely would have slept better at night!

sGPA: 3.28
cGPA: 3.39
MCAT: 31Q

Applied to 2 schools, interviewed at both.

Accepted to 1 :love:, on hold at the other.

I am a reapplicant, too. Last year I applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 3, was rejected by 1 and waitlisted by 2. I could not be happier!

Congrats to everyone else!

I decided it's time for me to contribute back to the SDN community. I've learned so much through this process, and have always wished for the opportunity to share my experience with others.

Preface: I am Asian-American, if anything, I am over-represented in the medical community, and my stats are pretty darn-average I might add. Oh yea, CA resident, LOL!

MCAT: 30R (10 10 10)
GPA: 3.6*/3.5*/3.9* overall/science/non-science (can't remember the exact 1/100 decimal on AMCAS, aha)

So far in this cycle, I've gotten:
9 interview (MD) offers (attended 7, some still scheduled for Jan/Feb)
3 wait-lists (surprised about some more than others)
2 acceptances (one is in my top 3 list)
Lastly, waiting to hear back from 2 schools in and around late december and mid-january.

In short, I came into the application cycle, believing that I would only get 1-2 interviews at best. One of my rec writer said it would be impossible for me to get near 10 interviews, and looked what I showed him; proved him that his prediction, though judicious and conservative at best, isn't always correct. Just present yourself honestly in this application cycle and be realistic in where you apply and I think good things will come. Most importantly, be confident in your potential, irrespective of the blemish(es) on your MCAT and/or GPA. Good luck folks and PM me if you want to ask any questions. I will try my best to answer them. Much thanks, "Cheers!!!"

Last edited:
update: accepted :)

3.5 cGPA 3.4 sGPA. 34 mcat

asian chick, so definitely ORM

4 interviews: rush, rosalind franklin, albany, VCU
2 acceptances: rush, rosalind franklin
1waitlist: albany
1 pending

update: accepted :)

Congratulations bluesmd! I remember your good luck wishes from months ago..

3.3 cum
3.43 sci
32 MCAT

7 interviews, 5 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 withdraw. Very happy with the process thus far. I'm most excited about PCOM, but I'm unsure what I'll do if I come off the waitlist at EVMS. I'm pretty much over the DO/MD thing, and I liked Phili a lot better. Sorry tangent, haha.

Good luck out there fellow low GPA'ers!

Congratulations bluesmd! I remember your good luck wishes from months ago..

but I'm unsure what I'll do if I come off the waitlist at EVMS. I'm pretty much over the DO/MD thing, and I liked Phili a lot better. Sorry tangent, haha.

hey tditty do you mean in the lucky thread, yes i definitely posted many a time haha gotta try everything!!! congrats to you, you are rocking the app process. did you write EVMS a letter. you mention that you like philly and so if that's your top choice don't bother. but i would suggest writing a LOInterest to EVMS if you want to go!!! look up silverlining, she has a good LOI. i guess i should share some of my good luck :luck: haha

I thought you pm'd me actually. Thanks for the mutual support.

No LOI yet. I'm more excited to go to PCOM and be closer to home and my friends anyway. Newer facilities, better clinical opportunities in Phili, reputation as a solid osteopathic school, etc.

some exciting news from all over especially this early in the cycle. i would have thought most of the low stat people would be accepted near the end as the superstars select their top choices. this thread will start to rush fast in the coming months i hope. congrats to everyone.

3.33 sGPA
3.52 cGPA
3.75 aoGPA

32R (11P, 8V, 13B, R)

CA resident (Not disadvantaged, Not URM) Upward trend after injury freshman year.

3 interviews: UIC 11/05/08, Rosalind Franklin (January), USC (February)
1 acceptance (UIC, received 11/22/08)

sGPA: 2.7
cGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 30

2 interviews! :D

UPDATE:

ONE ACCEPTANCE! (Touro-NY)

One more interview to go at University of Wisconsin in January! And yes, I applied disadvantaged. That may have helped to get me the interviews, but I think my story and how they shaped my opinions on healthcare, medicine and research got me the acceptance. That, and my keen fashion sense.

Luck to everyone!

S.

Yay! Congratulations, Nanon! :soexcited: :D

Thanks! It's about f'ing time, isn't it?

Seriously, folks - some of you are stressing on taking a measly year or two off. I took off 4 years after college, and college took me 8 years to get through because of work and hardcore family issues (my mom is severely mentally ill, went through breast cancer treatment and became homeless while I was in college). You want to be a doctor? Then DO IT. Make everything you do count.

Stepping off my soapbox so's I can get back to work and stop embarrassing myself... :laugh:

S.

cGPA 3.05
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 35N

white boy, upward trends on gpa, did not claim disadvantaged
1 interview so far, but im probably a little late in the cycle.

nanon and vihsadas, you guys are really inspiring to me.

i went through my own troubles, nontraditional student, low GPAs etc, but know that i must be a physician. applied last year, 6 secondary apps completed, no interviews. 18 completed this year (at, in all but 2 cases, different schools) and just completed my first interview at cclcm last week, fingers crossed for that one.

im still waiting for more interviews, but if it doesnt happen i'll just try again. persistence has to count for something. i'm lucky enough that my fiancee has gotten accepted to hopkins nursing for next year too, so i can try for a job at JH or NIH while i reapply, if necessary.

NEVER GIVE UP

3.47 cGPA
3.28 sGPA
35O MCAT

ACCEPTED!!! Good luck everyone!

cGPA ~ 3.5
sGPA ~ 3.4

MCAT:
39Q

Strongish upward trend (besides this semester, which is my second-to-last). I will be applying as a senior at the end of this academic year.

Last edited:
3.65 cGPA
3.32 sGPA
31P mcat

first interview invite today for University of Cincinnati!

3.3sGPA
3.44 overall
33R / 38O MCAT

1 post-interview hold, 3 rejections, 12 no replies =/

wow food 38 mcat. nice! don't lose hope. it's not over yet okay! good luck

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 2.7
Masters sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 31O

5 interview invites (allopathic), 2 acceptances, 1 pending, turned down 1 interview, 1 rejection

asian femme in late twenties.

Last edited by a moderator: