Shadowing/Volunteering in the Seattle area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about entering the dentistry field, and I would like to either volunteer or shadow a dentist. It is a requirement for some schools. I've tried calling some dentists, and most seems too busy and unwilling. I even went to talk to a Community Health Center and was told that due to liability, they do not allow volunteers nor do they allow you to shadow one of their dentists.
I've been reading some posts stating to call every dentists. I would appreciate if you know of any dentists in the greater Seattle area/Eastside who are more willing to allow a student to shadow them or any centers/clinics who allow volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about entering the dentistry field, and I would like to either volunteer or shadow a dentist. It is a requirement for some schools. I've tried calling some dentists, and most seems too busy and unwilling. I even went to talk to a Community Health Center and was told that due to liability, they do not allow volunteers nor do they allow you to shadow one of their dentists.
I've been reading some posts stating to call every dentists. I would appreciate if you know of any dentists in the greater Seattle area/Eastside who are more willing to allow a student to shadow them or any centers/clinics who allow volunteering.

Get a routine teeth cleaning at the dentist you wish to shadow and pop the question when he's up in your grill.

I'n not sure what your transportation options are, but there are plenty of places. For one, the Union Gospel Mission in downtown Seattle is a great place to start. They work with the homeless and disadvantaged.

http://www.ugm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=default

Also, there are many clinics at the UW. They're very welcoming but I'm not sure if you have to be a UW student. Pretty sure you don't.

http://dental.washington.edu/patientcare/patientcare_index.php

Another thing that I just thought of is maybe a dentist in a hospital. I've been looking into GPR (General Practice Residency) and I think that'd be a unique and cool experience.

Wherever you are in your academic career, high school/undergrad/etc., I suggest you get involved ASAP. You'll quickly find out if it's the right education/career path and it'll looks good in you application.

Good Luck,

-student253

Reactions: 1 user
Try SeaMar Community Health Centers. I volunteer there, they have a lot of volunteers.