Technology iPod Touch vs. iPhone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I get an iPod Touch or an iPhone

• Total voters

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides only carrying around one device, GPS, and constant internet access, is there any advantage to getting an iPhone over an iPod Touch? My current phone is small and I don't care about GPS or constant internet access, since the added monthly cost of an iPhone do not justify those perks, alone, for me.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you answered your own question. If you're not wanting to spend the extra costs of having the iphone, just get an ipod touch. Getting the iphone means you also will have to commit to a contract, whereas with the touch, you can still load apps without the monthly fees for data plans.

Good luck.

Well, GPS and internet are worth something to me, but they just don't justify the whole added cost.

I'm wondering if there are other features that I'm overlooking that I should consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
What year are you in now? If you get the iPhone you can use it for rotations when you don't have wifi access. I'll be getting one this spring/summer before third year.

If you don't care about 24/7 internet, just get the touch. I heard the 3G is better, but my experience with iPhone and AT&T was that the service is pretty poor.

I use both. I would recommend getting the iPhone if you can. There are so many great applications available in the app store that really shine when you have constant access to the internet. The true functionally of iPhone comes out with usage of the apps. Google Maps is also much useful with GPS...

I got the touch back when the iPhone was still weak (no 3G or GPS which I was already used to in my previous phone) but now that the iPhone has 3G I don't see any reason to get the iPod touch.

I use both. I would recommend getting the iPhone if you can. There are so many great applications available in the app store that really shine when you have constant access to the internet. The true functionally of iPhone comes out with usage of the apps. Google Maps is also much useful with GPS...

I got the touch back when the iPhone was still weak (no 3G or GPS which I was already used to in my previous phone) but now that the iPhone has 3G I don't see any reason to get the iPod touch.

Interesting...

Any apps that you're thinking of, in particular?

I guess it really depends what kind of user you will be but in my case - In addition to access to the internet 24/7 w/ the best mobile browser available, using Google Maps to find anything that is around you, and push email without relying on finding wifi access point - I also use Facebook, Weather Bug, ebay, AOL or Pandora Radio (free music of all kinds streamed!), Google and google earth, Now Playing (theater app), ZenBe (a todo list manager that syncs flawlessly online), yelp or urban spoon (to find places to eat), Save Benjis (on the go price comparison for just about anything), iTV (TV listings), and anything else that peaks your interest in the app store. Of course all these apps can be used with the iPod Touch and Wifi but from my experience it can be hassle to always rely on WiFi.

Another negative is that the iPod touch doesn't have an external speaker (unless the new one does?).

I feel that the internet connectivity is the main thing you will miss with the iPod Touch. Once you get used to having a constant data connection it's hard to go back...

I guess it really depends what kind of user you will be but in my case - In addition to access to the internet 24/7 w/ the best mobile browser available, using Google Maps to find anything that is around you, and push email without relying on finding wifi access point - I also use Facebook, Weather Bug, ebay, AOL or Pandora Radio (free music of all kinds streamed!), Google and google earth, Now Playing (theater app), ZenBe (a todo list manager that syncs flawlessly online), yelp or urban spoon (to find places to eat), Save Benjis (on the go price comparison for just about anything), iTV (TV listings), and anything else that peaks your interest in the app store. Of course all these apps can be used with the iPod Touch and Wifi but from my experience it can be hassle to always rely on WiFi.

Another negative is that the iPod touch doesn't have an external speaker (unless the new one does?).

I feel that the internet connectivity is the main thing you will miss with the iPod Touch. Once you get used to having a constant data connection it's hard to go back...

Definitely things to consider.

The new Touch does have an external speaker, according to CNET. Though it's not on the Tech Specs page of Apple.com, like the iPhone's is.

Luckily I'm definitely not accustomed to a constant data stream, so any mobile connection besides my MB will be an improvement.

I'd go all the way, if I were you...iPhone. The 'Net is where it's at.

It's getting harder and harder for me to resist its pull. My Palm Centro had a near-death experience today, and (until I figured out the problem) I found myself actually imagining what I'd need to do to switch to an iPhone...and it was completely feasible. Most of the major applications I use are available, and 3G fixed a lot of the coverage issues with my local AT&T network. The price is certainly right. I'm running out of excuses, frankly.

It's getting harder and harder for me to resist its pull. My Palm Centro had a near-death experience today, and (until I figured out the problem) I found myself actually imagining what I'd need to do to switch to an iPhone...and it was completely feasible. Most of the major applications I use are available, and 3G fixed a lot of the coverage issues with my local AT&T network. The price is certainly right. I'm running out of excuses, frankly.

Haha sounds like you're on the verge. Just do it! :D

I'm 70-30 iPhone, at this point. Thanks for the insight, thus far!

Having an iPhone while pre-med and MS1 and MS2 is a pretty big expense. Plus by the time rotations come around you'll be needing a new one. It's a hefty monthly expense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having an iPhone while pre-med and MS1 and MS2 is a pretty big expense. Plus by the time rotations come around you'll be needing a new one. It's a hefty monthly expense.

Very much agreed. My main reservations to the purchase. It would cost me $360/year more than if I don't get one.

Yeah assuming your not a talk-a-holic the 450 minute plan is $70 plus texting with 200 texts at $5 and $15 for 1500 texts. Good thing is that data is unlimited as long as your not roaming so unless you are going to heavily use it it isn't worth it.

So I'll probably be spending $85 a month on my phone next year. Though I'll have to see how it will be with calling my fiancée because as it stands now we both have Sprint and our calls to each other are free. I may have to get the $90 900 minute plan. Not good. Damn you AT&T and your iPhone monopoly.

Yeah assuming your not a talk-a-holic the 450 minute plan is $70 plus texting with 200 texts at $5 and $15 for 1500 texts. Good thing is that data is unlimited as long as your not roaming so unless you are going to heavily use it it isn't worth it.

So I'll probably be spending $85 a month on my phone next year. Though I'll have to see how it will be with calling my fiancée because as it stands now we both have Sprint and our calls to each other are free. I may have to get the $90 900 minute plan. Not good. Damn you AT&T and your iPhone monopoly.

+
images

it's hard for me to say it (being such a huge palm fan) BD, but i too an running out of excuses and will probably reward myself with an iphone when I finish ICU this month. med apps are finally coming out, isilo is great on iphone, and it looks like i'll be able to transfer over all my notes from the treo. slick apps like reqall, google mobile, remember the milk, spreednews have me wanting for more than the trusty treo can deliver at this point.

Besides only carrying around one device, GPS, and constant internet access, is there any advantage to getting an iPhone over an iPod Touch? My current phone is small and I don't care about GPS or constant internet access, since the added monthly cost of an iPhone do not justify those perks, alone, for me.

Any thoughts?

yeah, I think you pretty much answered your own question

dont care for gps or constant internet access then the iphone not for you...and yeah, it costs a grip!

This thread might help you. I haven't read through it, and I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, though.

Thanks.
I'm looking for pharm applications. I was going to go with a palm centro, but I think the Iphone would be more handy...

is 8GB enough space to put a few programs, or is 16GB worth the extra $100?

Thanks.
I'm looking for pharm applications. I was going to go with a palm centro, but I think the Iphone would be more handy...

is 8GB enough space to put a few programs, or is 16GB worth the extra $100?

I've checked out a lot of apps lately, a few of them medical/pharm. Most apps seem to be around 1MB. The main exception is the anatomy cards, like Netter's, which hover around 45 MB. However, I guess there could be a remote chance that an app you want is a huge file, but I doubt it.

Based on that, I doubt you'll run out of room with an 8GB, if apps are your main concern. However, if you want to add videos and music, too, you'd definitely have more freedom with the 16GB.

So I have a PDA that I used during my medical school rotations and I also got one of the older iPod touches free when I bought my most recent computer, and my thoughts are as follows: don't bother getting one if you're not going to get the iPhone. There is just no way I'm going to lug around my phone AND an ipod. It's pointless. Yeah, wireless internet access is nice, and I definitely would check my email via PDA when I was bored on rounds... but it's not something that you're going to take out with you if you're not going to be somewhere that you KNOW there is wireless (like the hospital) b/c it's not worth carrying around... if you like it b/c you like having the accessibility of the internet, then get the iPhone, because you can access the internet anywhere. Otherwise, if you're sitting around and you need the internet and you're somewhere where there is wireless... you're probably also going to have pretty easy access to a computer... so what's the point of the ipod? And yeah, having medical apps on it is nice, but if you haven't even started med school yet, you're not going to need those apps for like 2 more years and something better will be out by then anway.