Selecting a School; Is the NDBE still on for P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plopper

"This too will pass"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm selecting my school, choosing between a p/f and ranked. There was a rumor that schools were trying to block the change to P/F or at least delay it.

Can anyone confirm any changes? Or is the P/F set in stone?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm selecting my school, choosing between a p/f and ranked. There was a rumor that schools were trying to block the change to P/F or at least delay it.

Can anyone confirm any changes? Or is the P/F set in stone?

No matter what, i still feel that Uconn is the best option.

Word on the street is that it will not go P/NP in 2010 as originally decided earlier this year.

There were some rumblings here on SDN about this due to a recent ADEA conference and that the ADEA reps were coming back with this understanding. I checked with the ADEA reps and my school and was told the same thing. Also confirmed this with our ASDA rep (who happens to be the student president of the entire organization) and he concurred.

They are all pretty sure about this, but still not 100%. Additionally, it is still unclear if this will just be a 1 year postponement of th change (going into effect in 2011), or indefinite.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of Oct ADEA meeting, the NBDE P/F plan was delayed at least until at least 2011. So, it is possible that the Class of 2013 may take NBDE part I as P/F, but who knows right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of those more comprehansive posts on this topic from a different thread:

Here is an excerpt from the email we received from our ADEA rep about a month ago. She has a national position with ADEA and is well informed, so I would say that this info is pretty reliable.

National Board part one

NO longer going pass/fail in 2010, instead this will be pushed back one year. For now the ADA and Advanced Education Summit of ADEA (all the specialty programs) have decided that they will move this date back to Nov. 1st 2011 and that a P/F test will be required at that time.

Until then, ADEA is working with the ADA to make a new test- YES A NEW AND DIFFERENT PART ONE BOARD EXAM- that is more valid, eliminates cheating and has a better way to measure necessary info needed to succeed in advanced education. For now it is still scheduled to eventually become pass fail. Various Councils of ADEA are working with the ADA to keep numerical values associated with this test. Schools feel this is necessary to know which subject matter needs improvement within the curriculum, how to rank their school, and of course so that they can rank students applying to specialty schools.

At my houston interview Dr. English, the chair of orthodontics, was discussing these possibilities with me. He mentioned that the P/F version was definitely going to be postponed until at least 2011. I asked him how then were students wishing to specialize going to be expected to differentiate themselves from other candidates? His response was that this change would most likely result in fewer students from other dental schools being selected into various residency programs. It was his opinion that program directors would most likely begin to select students primarily from their own institutions. This makes sense when one considers the amount of variability and subjectivity inherent in any GPA's from various schools. Ultimately the move to P/F will limit our future opportunities and restrict our ability to distinguish ourselves from the multitudes of students seeking residencies.

I personally think that this transition blows. Still, I know that some really great schools (in the sense of how many students they place in specialties) are P/F and I can't imagine that all of a sudden those students will be screwed. I hadn't thought about schools accepting students internally though, that's interesting. This whole thing has been buggin me since I started applying. Luckily, UCSF lets us take the boards anytime after our first year, so if the transition was pushed back a year I might still be able to make it...

I personally think that this transition blows. Still, I know that some really great schools (in the sense of how many students they place in specialties) are P/F and I can't imagine that all of a sudden those students will be screwed. I hadn't thought about schools accepting students internally though, that's interesting. This whole thing has been buggin me since I started applying. Luckily, UCSF lets us take the boards anytime after our first year, so if the transition was pushed back a year I might still be able to make it...

Hey read what Hysteria24 (2 posts up) said. Looks like you and everyone who's accepted this cycle will still be taking the non P/F boards.

How can you claim those students are getting screwed? It will actually benefit a lot of people who are EXCELLENT clinicians, but suck at taking standardized tests. It forces the residency programs to place more emphasis on the recommendations for the applicants. If you did well in the classes of the residency you are applying to, then most likely you will get a great LOR from the staff thus giving you a better chance of getting a residency slot when you may not have otherwise as the test is graded right now. P/F takes away the huges emphasis on one exam and places it on the skills you developed (or ***** kissing abilities with the specialy profs) while in d-school. To me, that seems to be more of a benefit than it does being screwed.

Now, if you are the one who will be at the top of the class and would score a 95 on the NBDE, then yes, you can claim yo would be screwed by the revamped testing scores because it does level the playing field some maing it more competative to get a residency slot.

Yeah, when I was at the same interview the doctor I mentioned above showed me a list of all the people who applied to his ortho program. He then showed me how he ranked them to determine who gets an interview; he listed them in descending order by their NBDE I score. There were students on his list from Baylor, LSU, UCLA, SA, etc. and he told me that he really didn't care what their dental school GPA was because that number was too subjective. So you're right the transition does blow because it makes you wonder how many program directors across the country rely heavily on the objectivity of the NBDE I score?

Hey read what Hysteria24 (2 posts up) said. Looks like you and everyone who's accepted this cycle will still be taking the non P/F boards.

That is true, We will be taking NBDE latest by Summer of 2011 where as its changed from November of 2011. So we will take the regular NBDE I.....NICE!!!!

That is true, We will be taking NBDE latest by Summer of 2011 where as its changed from November of 2011. So we will take the regular NBDE I.....NICE!!!!

If this random post that we all read randomly in the middle of the night is true then yay we'll be the last class to take the regular version. Personally, I really feel like calling one of the schools I was accepted to tomorrow to ask if this is true.

that would be amazing!! take the regular NDBE and own it, and be able to specialize if i want to