*Official Jefferson Medical College Class of 2013*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what it's like to live in Barringer, Orlowitz, or Martin? Are these buildings quiet (no footsteps being heard overhead or TV blaring from apartment next to you)? Are they worth the $1000+/month rent?

Members don't see this ad.

Any classmates? Too early for decisions?

Anyone know what it's like to live in Barringer, Orlowitz, or Martin? Are these buildings quiet (no footsteps being heard overhead or TV blaring from apartment next to you)? Are they worth the $1000+/month rent?

Well, for starters, all three building are in Center City Philadelphia - there's going to be a LOT of noise coming in just from the street.

Martin = college-dorm type building. Communal bathroom, communal kitchen. But super f-ing cheap. Nowhere near $1000 per month.

Probably not all that quiet, but I can't personally attest to that.

Orlowitz and Barringer = apartment buildings. Expensive, but nice, for the most part.

I don't know how quiet they are. Most people tend to study in the library or elsewhere around campus. They're probably somewhat quieter, just because it's not quite like college all over again, and people got most of that out of their system already.

I should warn you that Orlowitz used to have a reputation for having fire alarms go off at 2 AM, more frequently than you would imagine....and people would HAVE to take the seriously, and evacuate at that hour of the morning. I don't know if they've managed to fix the problem or not, but.....:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else in the Physician Shortage Area Program? Can any current students shed light on the advantages or disadvantages of the PSAP?

I lived in Orlowitz in '02-'03 (wow i'm old), in one of the renovated apartments. I don't remember it being too loud but i shared a one bedroom with a roommate. The rent was way overpriced for what you get and the kitchen is TINY. the on campus housing is convienient, but you can definately get a better place off campus. I saw the Barringer apartment in the same time frame, they were ok but I still think you can do better off campus... But I had some classmates who were moving from east nowheresville and were too afraid to not live in a doorman building, so i understand why some people would live on campus. Martin is a HOLE, don't do it to yourself

I cannot wait to start med school. I'm moving to the city for the first time, and I'm not living in a dorm! (hopefully). It's a new social beginning, and an opportunity to learn something about medicine. I'll never have to write another paper on tropical rain forest plant distributions, like I am right now. :highfive:

Could some current Jeff students post some pics somewhere of CC and of Jefferson. i grew up in a town of 63 families, so it's completely new. I'm especially interested in seeing the pool/gym since they skipped it on the interview.

To those that have been accepted, have you received anything from Jefferson other than the acceptance card? Anything from financial aid?

I haven't received anything yet. Who here knows that they are going here for sure?

To those that have been accepted, have you received anything from Jefferson other than the acceptance card? Anything from financial aid?

Yes, I have a @jefferson.edu email account. I have access to Blackboard and so I can email any faculty or students if I have questions. They sent me a boat load of financial aid information. They sent me a Christmas card, and about 5 emails from various people congratulating me.

FYI, you don't need to live in a "doorman" building to be safe. Anywhere in center city is as safe as it gets IMO.

On the tour, the gym was in the basement of the main building (name is alluding me right now). It looked decent, if a little subterranean.

I accepted and sent in a deposit but have only received housing and financial aid info. How'd you get an email acout han14tra?

hey everyone! congrats to those accepted. does anyone know if i could move into barringer in june? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I don't think you can move in until July because the housing contract doesn't begin until July. You can always call to be sure though.

I'm currently a first year at JMC..if anyone is looking to relocate to Philly before your lease starts (like you're living in dorms, etc.), I am looking to sublet for June, July, and/or August if anyone's interested.

ps...welcome!

Hey everyone! Congrats to all :)

Does anyone know or have any details about the second look weekend coming up?

yeah! I've been trying to google it and find more information but nothing...hmmmm

What goes on at Second Look Day? Do they do anything different than the interview day? I'm from California, so I'm not sure if it's worth the plane ticket if it isn't anything special.

The facebook group says that the Second Look day is April 30th -May 1st. I'm not sure how accurate this is.

The facebook group says that the Second Look day is April 30th -May 1st. I'm not sure how accurate this is.

I got an e-mail today confirming that the second look day is April 30-May 1.

Anyone looking for a roommate to live off campus?

hey-

lemme know if you have any questions about the apartment scene in the area around Jeff or life in general in Philly (i've been living here for 2 years and love it!).

i'm living in center city now and am all set for housing next year, but i'd be happy to answer whatever questions i can. see ya in august!

I may be interested in a roommate. Looking for a male non-smoker. I'm looking into buying a condo/townhouse/rowhouse either near Jeff or near a transit line that serves Jeff.

Anyone have advice on a good realtor? Or any advice on purchasing in Philly in general?

hey-

lemme know if you have any questions about the apartment scene in the area around Jeff or life in general in Philly (i've been living here for 2 years and love it!).

i'm living in center city now and am all set for housing next year, but i'd be happy to answer whatever questions i can. see ya in august!

I'd love any advice on locations which are handy to JEff and to shopping (like groceries), restaurants, etc. I'm not much of a party guy, but a nice coffee house and other entertainment venues would be nice.

I am sooo happy to be admitted! (just got the call on June 3) I am still not sure it is real!:D

I'd love any advice on locations which are handy to JEff and to shopping (like groceries), restaurants, etc. I'm not much of a party guy, but a nice coffee house and other entertainment venues would be nice.

I am sooo happy to be admitted! (just got the call on June 3) I am still not sure it is real!:D

First off, congrats on your acceptance! We're in for quite the ride!

Here are some thoughts on the areas around Jeff from a PM I sent somebody else:

I have been in some rooms in Barringer and it was pretty nice--seems like a good place to live (I have heard some grumblings about the other two on-campus buildings though). If you're not familiar with living in Philly (or big cities in general), then living on campus is probably a good way to get a feel for the city. Price-wise, on campus housing is reasonable, but you can do better if you look off-campus.

Generally speaking, all the areas surrounding campus are VERY safe--Jeff really is in a terrific part of the city. Roughly speaking:

The areas to the east and south of Jeff and are fairly neighborhood-like and have got historic charm--these would be Old City, Washington Square West (where TONS of Jeff students live), and Society hill.

The area to the west (between Jeff's campus and Broad street from walnut st to market st) is a bit more urban (on major city streets) and has got some cool spots.

The area to the north, which is basically Reading Terminal Market/Chinatown area, is eclectic and has great restaurants. It also has a decent amount of new construction (condos) for rent at fair prices. This area is safe, although parts might have potential to be a bit more hit or miss at night.

These are only descriptions for areas that would put you, at most, a 15 min walk from campus. If you are willing to look further out (bike or what not) there are SO many great areas to consider here.

If you are looking to buy a place within walking distance of Jeff...well that all depends on your budget. If you give me some more specifics on what you're looking for I can help point you in the right direction.

Congrats again man and see ya in August!

I may be interested in a roommate. Looking for a male non-smoker. I'm looking into buying a condo/townhouse/rowhouse either near Jeff or near a transit line that serves Jeff.

Anyone have advice on a good realtor? Or any advice on purchasing in Philly in general?

UPDATE: I just purchased a great condo at 11th and Vine- 6 blocks from Jeff, 3 blocks from Market, great area, and GREAT condo. I am looking for a MALE non-smoking roommate, so if you are interested, you can look over my place at www.rentmycondoroom.com. The $995 rent includes ALL tuilities, even a landline phone with unlimited nationwie long distance, and high-speed internet.