Info about US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering that if you do a complete science degree (4 years) and apply to dental schools in the U.S. that if they delete your worse year, as they do here (Canada). The conditions here are that it can't be your last year that they delete, and it can't be the only year in which you've done at least 5 classes per semester. Is it the same in the U.S? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

no wonder why their matriculant GPA is so high... to answer your question - no, they don't delete the worst semester. Everything counts!

Members don't see this ad :)
no wonder why their matriculant GPA is so high... to answer your question - no, they don't delete the worst semester. Everything counts!

At UWO it is the "average based on best 2 years prior to admission". This is bonus on top of needing only an 80% for an A(-); (3.7).

At UWO it is the "average based on best 2 years prior to admission". This is bonus on top of needing only an 80% for an A(-); (3.7).

Does anyone else understand the point of this, or am I the only one who is lost? Just seems like they exclude a large body of work (especially if any post bac work is included). It's kinda like taking the DAT and then having the lower half of your scores dropped.

Does anyone else understand the point of this, or am I the only one who is lost? Just seems like they exclude a large body of work (especially if any post bac work is included). It's kinda like taking the DAT and then having the lower half of your scores dropped.

Well I think part of the difference is that in a lot of Canadian school admissions, they aim to remove subjectivity from the application process. They put your numbers into a formula, give you a standardized (canada-wide) CDA approved interview with set questions and base your acceptance on that. Some schools will ask you for a short essay and maybe a couple evaluators, but not UWO or U of T. Whereas the American schools will recognize that a student's first year may not be as high, and may 'subjectively' weight a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year higher, while looking at a trend - Canadian schools try to avoid this subjectivity.

I think that there isn't a better system, but instead, they are just different processes - each having its own strengths,

This year the average was 88.51%

The 88.51% that you are referring to is probably the mean, but what ds does this apply to and for what year? (Do you have a source for the info?)The 80% mentioned in the post is the level of competency required by some Canadian universities for an A (-), although there is at least one institution where the level for an A drops to 75.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=568870

The 88.51% that you are referring to is probably the mean, but what ds does this apply to and for what year? (Do you have a source for the info?)The 80% mentioned in the post is the level of competency required by some Canadian universities for an A (-), although there is at least one institution where the level for an A drops to 75.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=568870

"mean" and "average" are the same thing. Maybe you meant "median"

Yea, Western is a sweet school. They also count your current year, so you just need one year of 80, but realistically you need above 85 to be considered competitive. It's a pity they reserve seats for rural student from Southern Ontario regions.

Are you just really, really bitter at having applied to some Canadian school and not gotten in or something? You go out of your way, repeatedly, in every single thread that talks about Canadian schools, to mention how easy they are to get into. It's getting very sad, actually, seeing your name as the first to pop up in arguments.

I'm an American living and studying in Canada. If you haven't studied here, at Toronto since I can't speak for the rest, you don't know what you're talking about. Getting A's in Duke was a freaking joke compared to getting the "80" that you mention over and over and over again. I handed in crap work and got A's back then, thanks to ridiculous grade inflation. They drop your worst year here, and you get to sleep through class and pass with flying colors in the States. And Duke was supposed to be in the top 6, and yet high school was more challenging.

I know few actual dentists this eager to go out of their way to annoy. You must be very bored. Recession must have hit you a while ago.

You go out of your way, repeatedly, in every single thread that talks about Canadian schools, to mention how easy they are to get into. It's getting very sad, actually, seeing your name as the first to pop up in arguments.

I'm an American living and studying in Canada. If you haven't studied here, at Toronto since I can't speak for the rest, you don't know what you're talking about. Getting A's in Duke was a freaking joke compared to getting the "80" that you mention over and over and over again. I handed in crap work and got A's back then, thanks to ridiculous grade inflation. They drop your worst year here, and you get to sleep through class and pass with flying colors in the States. And Duke was supposed to be in the top 6, and yet high school was more challenging.

I know few actual dentists this eager to go out of their way to annoy. You must be very bored. Recession must have hit you a while ago.

Your experience at Duke may well have been similar to some CCs but that leaves a heck of a lot of bonafide universities where it takes more than writing your name on a paper to get an A. The contention has never been that gaining acceptance to Can ds was easy, but rather, that since the grading system of the two countries are not the same, the claim that gaining acceptance to Can ds is "insanely difficult" what with a mean gpa of 3.95 was, at best, a claim that is exaggerated and misleading. Hence, the "Canadian DS- The Hoopla of over "HIGH" Admissions Stats". If you believe than an 80 in Canada is harder to achieve than a 90 in the US, the energy might be better spent finding some studies to support your claim instead of mounting a campaign of personal attacks.

Are you just really, really bitter at having applied to some Canadian school and not gotten in or something? You go out of your way, repeatedly, in every single thread that talks about Canadian schools, to mention how easy they are to get into. It's getting very sad, actually, seeing your name as the first to pop up in arguments.

I too am getting a little sick of seeing Toothache on every thread has something to do with a Canadian school. Someone will ask a legitimate question and Toothache will turn the thread into a personal battle. What's your story Toothache?

I too am getting a little sick of seeing Toothache on every thread has something to do with a Canadian school. Someone will ask a legitimate question and Toothache will turn the thread into a personal battle. What's your story Toothache?

Selecting which threads to read should alleviate the symptoms.

Selecting which threads to read should alleviate the symptoms.

I happen to be a Canadian student applying to US dental schools. So when I see a thread that has a title that pertains to my situation I look at it.

How about you? I notice that most of your posts are made during the day but you are supposedly a dentist? That's odd. Of all the Dentists I shadowed they all seemed too busy to be hanging out on a pre-dental forum all day. Things a little slow in the office?

Anyways Im out for the Holidays. Merry Christmas to everyone!

I happen to be a Canadian student applying to US dental schools. So when I see a thread that has a title that pertains to my situation I look at it.

How about you? I notice that most of your posts are made during the day but you are supposedly a dentist? That's odd. Of all the Dentists I shadowed they all seemed too busy to be hanging out on a pre-dental forum all day. Things a little slow in the office?

Anyways Im out for the Holidays. Merry Christmas to everyone!

Tiss the season to keep track of who is doing what to whom and when.

"mean" and "average" are the same thing. Maybe you meant "median"

Or may be mode?:D

I don't really see in this thread where toothache has personally attacked any one person or country. Looks to me like he just asked for some data and posted his own.

1) It's not easy to achieve an 80% at Canadian universities.

2) GPAs drop a lot for percentages below 80 - it's not a linear system

3) an 80% = 3.7 in Canada, 80% = 4.0 in the U.S...so i don't know what you're implying

4) a 3.7 won't even get you an interview in Canada, but you'll definitely have a good chance of getting one in in the states..

1) It's not easy to achieve an 80% at Canadian universities.

2) GPAs drop a lot for percentages below 80 - it's not a linear system

3) an 80% = 3.7 in Canada, 80% = 4.0 in the U.S...so i don't know what you're implying

4) a 3.7 won't even get you an interview in Canada, but you'll definitely have a good chance of getting one in in the states..

Try 80%= 3.0 in the U.S.