Do I have what it takes? Applying this June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cavalier329

Current cGPA is a 3.50...I started off college with a very poor first year due to my own ignorance and lack of work ethic. I had a 3.0, but seriously picked it up my second year and this past semester, never getting below a 3.65. The last two semesters I have been able to get a 3.75. It has been a significant and maintained upward trend with As in my science courses.

My science GPA is a 3.3 which was initially hurt by a C+ with calc II my first year. I have done very well in my science courses since. Recently secured an A in physics and a B+ in orgo

By the time I apply I hope to have around a 3.55 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA...so lets work with that for now.

predicted MCAT based on practices has been 11 V 11 BS 10 PS. I have a ways to go and will be taking a course so I want this to go up a few points.

Now for the rest: Major: History (3.75 GPA) Minor: Chemistry

Attend a top tier University

ECs: EMT for the past 4 years, EMS experience since 2002. Numerous awards including delivery of a baby girl and agency excellent service award. Oversee fundraising committee for my volunteer agency and am a youth squad advisor/mentor. I will have had 3000-4000+ hours of experience when I apply. LOR (Volunteer since 2002 but I also am paid elsewhere since 2007)

President and founder of health organiztion at my university-2 years

Crisis hotline volunteer/trainer-2 years

Cell Biology/Contraceptive and reproductive health research-1 year, will be co-authoring a publication-LOR

Shadowing TCV surgery and radiology for 2+ years-LOR

Shadowing NYPD chief surgeon 2+ years-LOR

History research-recently wrote a paper which led to the induction of a civil rights activist into my county's civil rights hall of fame.

Biology II Lab Assistant TA 1 year

HS ambassador for my university--go around telling HS applicants about my university 2 years

TA and intern for honor and ethics course--worked with Dean of Students 2+ years LOR

Resident Advisor- 1 year

Heres what I am looking at as a NY resident

NYMC
SUNY Albany, Downstate, Upstate, Buffalo, Stony Brook
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Einstein
UMDNJ
BU
Tulane
Georgetown
Brown (same reason as cornell and sinai and because I know their program focuses on humanities)
UMD
Penn State
Temple
Drexel
USUHS*would certainly go here as I am planning being a military doctor
UVA
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Wake Forest
GWU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
looks pretty good to me. nice EC's

Do you ever sleep? (LOL)

Congratulations on an amazing GPA turn-around. You've done a great job of recovering from your poor first year.

It will help if your slightly low GPA is balanced by a strong MCAT score, but your extracurriculars on their own should do that anyway. Your strong upward recent grade trend is impressive. I'm glad you're continuing to work on upping the MCAT score with a formal course, as a 32 may not be enough to cause all your schools to take a good look at the meaty stuff on your extracurricular list. Still, I feel you have a good variety of selectivity among your schools, and you've got what it takes to get an acceptance at one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the comments so far. Ive been reminded over the past few years to sleep, but I guess it helps that everything Ive done until now has been because I really enjoy it. Almost at the finish line...for this race anyway.

My first year really screwed my affairs badly and Ive been fighting to dig myself out of that hole ever since. Hopefully I will be successful with apps next year.

I know my biggest weakness is my GPA but I suppose that if things dont work out this cycle, I will have another year of coursework to bring it up to a 3.6+ range. I just want to take the opportunity this time to see if I can make it happen because if so, I am taking that acceptance and RUNNING!

Are the top tier schools out of the question? Specifically I am talking about UVA, Brown, Cornell, and Sinai.

Mean GPA for acceptees of all those schools is 3.8, and mean MCAT 34 (UVA) and 35. I assume they're all strong research institutions since they're highly selective. If you plan a second year of research, get that co-authored paper published before you submit to AMCAS, and get a high enough MCAT score (38+), all things are possible.

any other thoughts.

Hope everyone is having a merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah.

you have a chance at any of those places. don't let numbers prevent you from applying. yes you're chances are low, but there's still a chance. kill the mcat, write persuasive essays and bam hopefully you get in at one of your top choices. i too have low numbers, but i have hope for three schools. good luck. and NYPD? they have doctors?

The NYPD has a pretty substantial medical division, one that is the model for many other larger police departments in the country.

It is headed up by the chief surgeon and there exists a number of precinct surgeons who volunteer to be doctor for the police officers in that area. They are in every NYC hospital and are the first to see an officer in the event of a medical emergency.

Its actually a pretty interesting operation. They pretty much need to exist since the officers are given unlimited sick days...as long as their "illness" is cleared by the precinct surgeon.

I love it, there is a sense of brotherhood that I have never seen in any other medical setting. Its one of the reasons why I want to be a military doctor.

Bump...any thoughts on my list and schools you think would be a good fit for me with a relatively good chance of acceptance?