my experiences with interviews in 7 dental schools this year....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incision

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. be an early bird. apply ASAP. (with few exceptions)

2. GPA does matter in some schools....but some of my close friends got admission to NYU and other top schools with a GPA less that 2.5 in BDS....try to get good GPA in the MS program (F1 Students). infact I have a GPA of 2.7 and was invited for interviews in almost all schools I applied. Try to submit WES instead of ECE where possible (colorado, UMDNJ etc), as WES gives a better GPA than ECE.

3.. scores matter only to some extent. (exceptions -1 or 2 schools) but most schools look for an overall package.i have seen some of my frnds getting admission this year in some of the top schools with a NBDE part -1 score of just 81 or 82. so dont loose your hope.....my part-1 was just 87.

4. TOEFL matters..make sure you get 100 so that you can apply to all the dental schools...excpetion: few got accepted at USC this year with a TOEFL score between 75-90, even though they ask for 100.

5. EXPERIENCE Counts in all the schools. try to count your internship as clinical experience (freshers). try and do some observership in the US. get a recommendation letter from the dentist you went for observation. Involve in some research activities (any field) and put it in the CV.

6. Recommendation letters: very important in almost all schools (with few exceptions).

7. SOP: matters. make it look exceptionally good as it is in your hands. make no mistakes in it. proofread it and get it corrected. (I had lot of gramatical mistakes in my SOP when I last checked during my final interview and wondered how could I do some of them)

8. Some of my friends insisted me to make constant phone calls and emails to the admissions office after your application status is complete. This is totally ridiculous. I never emailed or called anyone constantly (maybe did only one call/email). BE YOURSELF. If your profile is good, you will definitely be called for an interview.

9. Interview: as I said BE YOURSELF. know what you are talking. know your CV and SOP, future goals. be coooooooool. (easy to say....lol). some schools (colorado, michigan etc) ask you about ethical questions....kinda vague...some of the q's get repeated (surpriced), so go through the sdn interview thread before going for an interview. practice sample interview q's before you go for the interview.

10. Most Importantly -PRACTICALS. If you are attending a school with bench exam. prepare well for the bench exam. once you are called for an interview, practicals and practicals only matters (few exceptions may be). interview also counts in many schools. have seen some of my friends with scores 90-95 not getting accepted due to poor hand skills. One of the reason why I was waitlisted in 3 schools. I was shocked when I met students who were practicing for 4-6 months and did 500 plus preps. They all got accpeted with just above average scores ans low GPA's. so there is no point in applying and going for an interview in a dental school with bench exam, if you aren't prepared for it.

11. Finally: Be confident. (it is tough sometimes, isnt it?). cant help it, so be patient and wait for your chance.

12. Last but not the least: post your acceptance/alternate/rejections in the threads and help others. (like for some..TIME TO THINK 'DENTISTRY IN THE US' ....NO BIG DEAL......Once accepted....lol)

Please add any missing information.
This is purely based on my experience. Kindly correct me if Im wrong.

Hope this helps.

Wishing all the sdnites a happy and prosperous NEW YEAR.
May all your dreams come true.

Wish you all good luck and great success.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
thats so thoughtful of you to put all your experiences into acceptance guidelines .....Thanks for the Information

Great Work !

I feel You really hit the target for which SDN is designed for.
I wish each one of us open the sdn not only to look for info but to jot down some ideas to make a difference.

Best of luck for your professional career!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

2. GPA does matter in some schools....but some of my close friends got admission to NYU and other top schools with a GPA less that 2.5 in BDS....try to get good GPA in the MS program (F1 Students). infact I have a GPA of 2.7 and was invited for interviews in almost all schools I applied. Try to submit WES instead of ECE where possible (colorado, UMDNJ etc), as WES gives a better GPA than ECE.

3.. scores matter only to some extent. (exceptions -1 or 2 schools) but most schools look for an overall package.i have seen some of my frnds getting admission this year in some of the top schools with a NBDE part -1 score of just 81 or 82. so dont loose your hope.....my part-1 was just 87.

4. TOEFL matters..make sure you get 100 so that you can apply to all the dental schools...excpetion: few got accepted at USC this year with a TOEFL score between 75-90, even though they ask for 100.

5. EXPERIENCE Counts in all the schools. try to count your internship as clinical experience (freshers). try and do some observership in the US. get a recommendation letter from the dentist you went for observation. Involve in some research activities (any field) and put it in the CV.

6. Recommendation letters: very important in almost all schools (with few exceptions).

7. SOP: matters. make it look exceptionally good as it is in your hands. make no mistakes in it. proofread it and get it corrected. (I had lot of gramatical mistakes in my SOP when I last checked during my final interview and wondered how could I do some of them)

8. Some of my friends insisted me to make constant phone calls and emails to the admissions office after your application status is complete. This is totally ridiculous. I never emailed or called anyone constantly (maybe did only one call/email). BE YOURSELF. If your profile is good, you will definitely be called for an interview.

9. Interview: as I said BE YOURSELF. know what you are talking. know your CV and SOP, future goals. be coooooooool. (easy to say....lol). some schools (colorado, michigan etc) ask you about ethical questions....kinda vague...some of the q's get repeated (surpriced), so go through the sdn interview thread before going for an interview. practice sample interview q's before you go for the interview.

10. Most Importantly -PRACTICALS. If you are attending a school with bench exam. prepare well for the bench exam. once you are called for an interview, practicals and practicals only matters (few exceptions may be). interview also counts in many schools. have seen some of my friends with scores 90-95 not getting accepted due to poor hand skills. One of the reason why I was waitlisted in 3 schools. I was shocked when I met students who were practicing for 4-6 months and did 500 plus preps. They all got accpeted with just above average scores ans low GPA's. so there is no point in applying and going for an interview in a dental school with bench exam, if you aren't prepared for it.

11. Finally: Be confident. (it is tough sometimes, isnt it?). cant help it, so be patient and wait for your chance.

12. Last but not the least: post your acceptance/alternate/rejections in the threads and help others. (like for some..TIME TO THINK 'DENTISTRY IN THE US' ....NO BIG DEAL......Once accepted....lol)

Hope this helps.

Dear Friend,

Thanks really much for such a useful and comprehensive thread!:)
I am getting prepared for the exam.But , there is a problem.My hand skill is not good enough:oops:.In fact due to some personal problems I have been far from Dentistry World for several years after my Graduation.Could you please help me and write to me how can i get more prepared and confident for the Bench Exam?Are preparatory Courses really useful?should I buy mini-Units and handpieces and Tooth Models for practicing?Whre can I practice?are there special places for practicing?
Your Comprehensive Reply about the Preparation tips for the Bench exam would be really really invaluable.Thanks in advance.
Hope you the Best!!:)

good work incision
keep posting
the points are good but all the sdners should join such kind of summary
happy new year

hiiii everyone... my stats r 86/2.77/95....my application was completed in first week of dec..can anyone tell me wat r my chances of admission in nyu...i think this is my last hope....any help vl be appreciated alot...:)

Hope this helps.

hiiii incision....my stats r 86/2.77/95..u hav mentioned tat u were rejected last year from nyu...can u tell me wat was ur stats at tat time, as it can help me calculate my chances in nyu....waiting for ur response

Dear Goldentist

Preparation for practicals depends on many factors:

1. Availability of time

2. Motivation -some students are in the dream world that most students who come for the bench exam dont prepare well or everybody does it averagely. This is true only to some extent. But taking into consideration, the competition (esp among Indians and diversity factor which reduces the num of seats for each country), we need to have a definitive edge over others. I have seen some of my frnds who never did crown cuttin before, but prepared exceptionally good crown preps and class 2's with 3-4 months of practice. And moreover students are improving their qualilty of work every year. Hard work definitely pays off....

3. Facility to practice: This is very important. I borrowed aeroter and instrumenst from my friends who are curently enrolled and practiced in a dental school couple of times before I appeared for the bench exams. Even though some of my friends who are currently in the DDS program rated my work as 'more than sufficient to get acceptance' I really couldn't stand myself in the comp. (Waitlisted at 3 schools). THERE DRAWS A LINE BETWEEN GOOD PREPS AND EXCELLENT PREPS.

I was surpriced when I visited one of my friends place during one of the interviews and found that there were 3-4 compressors in their neighbouring apt and students were practicing for bench exams for 3-4 months. I should say that all of them for accepted for the program with average scores.

you can definitely buy a compressor and hand piece and practice in your house. There are many types of compressors available (noise free) price range between 100-150$.

You can even get the micromotor set from your home country and practice fr the exams. You just have to change the AC adapter maybe.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Guidance is MANDATORY. Please try to show your preps to current students and get them corrected. Doing it blindly is of no use. Different schools have different protocols, follow them as closely as possible.

5. About Prep courses: They are defintely of some use. But if you ask me personally, I wont waste my money by joining these courses. I dont think its worth. If you are determined you can do excellent preps with little guidance. You may opt to these courses if you dont have any one to guide you. I have spoken to couple of students who took prep courses at UMDNJ and attended interview with me. I really dont see a point wasting money. Moreover, almost all of my frnds who got accepted this yr in different schools didnt take any prep course.

" ALWAYS STICK TO THE BASICS WHEN IN DOUBT, BECAUSE EACH SCHOOL HAS DIFFERENT PROTOCOLS FOR PREPS"

Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

Dear Friend,

Thanks really much for such a useful and comprehensive thread!:)
I am getting prepared for the exam.But , there is a problem.My hand skill is not good enough:oops:.In fact due to some personal problems I have been far from Dentistry World for several years after my Graduation.Could you please help me and write to me how can i get more prepared and confident for the Bench Exam?Are preparatory Courses really useful?should I buy mini-Units and handpieces and Tooth Models for practicing?Whre can I practice?are there special places for practicing?
Your Comprehensive Reply about the Preparation tips for the Bench exam would be really really invaluable.Thanks in advance.
Hope you the Best!!:)

HI Aligners

please dont compare your stats with anyone at anytime.
you never know anything might happen.

I wasnt actually interested/motivated in joining nyu last year.
My application for nyu was complete in feb (first week maybe) this year, but got a rejection letter from them sometime later. (dont remember exactly when). My stats were more or less similar to yours.

But one of my close frnd got accepted this yr at NYU with stats which were worse than yours. But he substantaited his poor GPA (2.5 or less at dental school with his MS GPA in US.

With my personal experience, I would definitely recommend you to be in constant touch with the admissions office if possible. (NOTE: I AM NOT TRYING TO DEFAME OR CRITISIZE SUCH A GREAT UNIVERSITY. I AM JUST TELLING MY PERSPECTIVE OF IT). Two of my very close frnds got accepted this yr as they were constantly calling them (every week) and telling them that they were interested in doing the program after they have been waitlisted. One of which got an interview (after getting application complete) after personally meeting them couple of times and showing interest in the program. (It is ridiculous to say that all 125 students who got accepted do these stuff. it might only work for few students.NOTE: I am not trying to misguide anyone on this issue. Kindly apologize if so).

from my perspective you can get admission in any schools (few exceptions) if your rest of the application is good. (experience, reco letters, research if any). Chances will be improved if you finish your part-2 also. Some of my frnds joined 2 yr program this yr with part -1 score...82, 84 etc.

Hope this helps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

hiiii incision....my stats r 86/2.77/95..u hav mentioned tat u were rejected last year from nyu...can u tell me wat was ur stats at tat time, as it can help me calculate my chances in nyu....waiting for ur response

Hope this helps.

great post incision, very helpful, thanks for taking the time and effort. really appreciate it :thumbup::thumbup:

Dear Goldentist

Preparation for practicals depends on many factors:

1. Availability of time

2. Motivation -some students are in the dream world that most students who come for the bench exam dont prepare well or everybody does it averagely. This is true only to some extent. But taking into consideration, the competition (esp among Indians and diversity factor which reduces the num of seats for each country), we need to have a definitive edge over others. I have seen some of my frnds who never did crown cuttin before, but prepared exceptionally good crown preps and class 2's with 3-4 months of practice. And moreover students are improving their qualilty of work every year. Hard work definitely pays off....

3. Facility to practice: This is very important. I borrowed aeroter and instrumenst from my friends who are curently enrolled and practiced in a dental school couple of times before I appeared for the bench exams. Even though some of my friends who are currently in the DDS program rated my work as 'more than sufficient to get acceptance' I really couldn't stand myself in the comp. (Waitlisted at 3 schools). THERE DRAWS A LINE BETWEEN GOOD PREPS AND EXCELLENT PREPS.

I was surpriced when I visited one of my friends place during one of the interviews and found that there were 3-4 compressors in their neighbouring apt and students were practicing for bench exams for 3-4 months. I should say that all of them for accepted for the program with average scores.

you can definitely buy a compressor and hand piece and practice in your house. There are many types of compressors available (noise free) price range between 100-150$.

You can even get the micromotor set from your home country and practice fr the exams. You just have to change the AC adapter maybe.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Guidance is MANDATORY. Please try to show your preps to current students and get them corrected. Doing it blindly is of no use. Different schools have different protocols, follow them as closely as possible.

5. About Prep courses: They are defintely of some use. But if you ask me personally, I wont waste my money by joining these courses. I dont think its worth. If you are determined you can do excellent preps with little guidance. You may opt to these courses if you dont have any one to guide you. I have spoken to couple of students who took prep courses at UMDNJ and attended interview with me. I really dont see a point wasting money. Moreover, almost all of my frnds who got accepted this yr in different schools didnt take any prep course.

" ALWAYS STICK TO THE BASICS WHEN IN DOUBT, BECAUSE EACH SCHOOL HAS DIFFERENT PROTOCOLS FOR PREPS"

Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

Dear Incision,
Thanks really really much for your kind advice.:)
Hope you the best.:luck:

HI Aligners

My application for nyu was complete in feb (first week maybe) this year, but got a rejection letter from them sometime later. (dont remember exactly when). My stats were more or less similar to yours.

But one of my close frnd got accepted this yr at NYU with stats which were worse than yours. But he substantaited his poor GPA (2.5 or less at dental school with his MS GPA in US.

With my personal experience, I would definitely recommend you to be in constant touch with the admissions office if possible. (NOTE: I AM NOT TRYING TO DEFAME OR CRITISIZE SUCH A GREAT UNIVERSITY. I AM JUST TELLING MY PERSPECTIVE OF IT). Two of my very close frnds got accepted this yr as they were constantly calling them (every week) and telling them that they were interested in doing the program after they have been waitlisted. One of which got an interview (after getting application complete) after personally meeting them couple of times and showing interest in the program. (It is ridiculous to say that all 125 students who got accepted do these stuff. it might only work for few students.NOTE: I am not trying to misguide anyone on this issue. Kindly apologize if so).

from my perspective you can get admission in any schools (few exceptions) if your rest of the application is good. (experience, reco letters, research if any). Chances will be improved if you finish your part-2 also. Some of my frnds joined 2 yr program this yr with part -1 score...82, 84 etc.

Hope this helps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I had almost the same exp .last year with NYU ,,AND I applied this year again and did not hear any thing yet 89/79/101/3.00
the scores are not every thing with these scores i been struggling for 3 years now so donn't panic .I still have a faith bec. I am sure that the hard work will pay off...........

HI Aligners

Hope this helps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
thanks for ur reply incision, almost all my doubts r clear now, i thing u applied a bit too late last year after the deadline, tat may be the cause for rejection... nyways hoping to get a call from them and all the best for ur admission...:):):):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear aligners

i did apply just before the deadline to nyu last yr. definitely tht maybe the cause for rejection....but its ok as i wasnt interested in joinin nyu last yr...and im not bothered this yr also as im accepted at BU....all the best to you and wish u good luck...

thanks for ur reply incision, almost all my doubts r clear now, i thing u applied a bit too late last year after the deadline, tat may be the cause for rejection... nyways hoping to get a call from them and all the best for ur admission...:):):):):)

Dear aligners

i did apply just before the deadline to nyu last yr. definitely tht maybe the cause for rejection....but its ok as i wasnt interested in joinin nyu last yr...and im not bothered this yr also as im accepted at BU....all the best to you and wish u good luck...
good job incision

Dear aligners

So, which school did you eventually choose? Give me a call when you find some time. TTYL.

thats so thoughtful of you to put all your experiences into acceptance guidelines .....Thanks for the Information

Hi Incision,

u really did a good job. Thanks a lot for all info as well as motivation. People like u make better place to live. Good luck for ur future endeavors:thumbup:.

hi incision
my states are part I 85/toefl 96/gpa 3.28 and i have done 1 yr 7 month experience in india and 5 month obeservership in usa and also i did one case study in state level journal so what is my chance to get interview in nyu?????
thank you in advance for your sugestion

Thanks a lot..that was a great post and it will help all of us who is preparing .. I need your help friends...i gave my Part 1 in august and got 82:(..i have a small kid and i studied....but donno whether its gonna help me to get an admission..Should i take Part 1 again or start preparing for Part2..Any suggestions or advices???Any help from you are deeply appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
drbds

with your stats (esp gpa/toefl) you definitely have a chance to get into nyu...at this point I should also say that people with 90's and good gpa weren't called for interview or accepted for the program before......
so you never know....
my close frnd got admisin last yr to nyu with similar scores (nbde and toefl) and with a gpa of 2.6 or 2.7......but with good gpa in MS program in US.....
be confident and BE IN REGULAR TOUCH WITH THEM if possible....

keep your fingers crossed once your job (application is sent) is done....
anythin might happen....

wish you good luck.

Hope this helps.

hi incision
my states are part I 85/toefl 96/gpa 3.28 and i have done 1 yr 7 month experience in india and 5 month obeservership in usa and also i did one case study in state level journal so what is my chance to get interview in nyu?????
thank you in advance for your sugestion

Dear drdental07

this question is definitely a point of debate....
some might say to retake part-1 and improve the score as most schools ask for only part-1....

in my view as the application cycle for this yr is finished....(application cycle starts in june (most schools) for nxt yr....)

u better take part-2 ASAP (by feb) and get the passing score if possible.

later you can start preparing for part-1 and improve ur score....

but some might even argue that as you have taken part-1 recently...preparin for 2nd time will be easy if you start studyin now....

i have seen people with similar scores (nbde -82) gettin admission at LLU and colorado this yr....so you never know....

so actually ball is in your court...u have to take the decision....

all the best

hope this helps...

Thanks a lot..that was a great post and it will help all of us who is preparing .. I need your help friends...i gave my Part 1 in august and got 82:(..i have a small kid and i studied....but donno whether its gonna help me to get an admission..Should i take Part 1 again or start preparing for Part2..Any suggestions or advices???Any help from you are deeply appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dear drdental07

this question is definitely a point of debate....
some might say to retake part-1 and improve the score as most schools ask for only part-1....

in my view as the application cycle for this yr is finished....(application cycle starts in june (most schools) for nxt yr....)

u better take part-2 ASAP (by feb) and get the passing score if possible.

later you can start preparing for part-1 and improve ur score....

but some might even argue that as you have taken part-1 recently...preparin for 2nd time will be easy if you start studyin now....

i have seen people with similar scores (nbde -82) gettin admission at LLU and colorado this yr....so you never know....

so actually ball is in your court...u have to take the decision....

all the best

hope this helps...
Thanks a lot incision for quick reply,,i have been doing observership in a clinic for more than 6 mons..so do u think it improve my chances for admission...my status 82/3.06/93
But what helped your friends with 82 score get an admission in to college...is that their resume??
Thanks

Dear drdental07

Both my frnds with 82 and 84 part -1 got accepted in schools which ask or look for part-2 in their application requirements or recommend it...
so part-2 was important to them...

apart frm the basic scores..they had good hand skills to pass the bench exam and secure admission....

once anyone is called fr an interview/bench exam...then more than 75-90% depends on how you perform in the bench exam and interview.....but not on scores...

Anyone correct me if I am wrong....

Hope this helps....

Thanks a lot incision for quick reply,,i have been doing observership in a clinic for more than 6 mons..so do u think it improve my chances for admission...my status 82/3.06/93
But what helped your friends with 82 score get an admission in to college...is that their resume??
Thanks

Dear drdental07

Both my frnds with 82 and 84 part -1 got accepted in schools which ask or look for part-2 in their application requirements or recommend it...
so part-2 was important to them...

apart frm the basic scores..they had good hand skills to pass the bench exam and secure admission....

once anyone is called fr an interview/bench exam...then more than 75-90% depends on how you perform in the bench exam and interview.....but not on scores...

Anyone correct me if I am wrong....

Hope this helps....
Thank you Incision,
But can you please tell me where to get the instruments,like burs,compressor,handpiece,typhodont,micromotor?
Thanks

Thank you Incision,
But can you please tell me where to get the instruments,like burs,compressor,handpiece,typhodont,micromotor?
Thanks

It is my Question too.Thanks in advance for the answer.:luck:

Dear Goldentist and drdental07

I burrowed airoter/typos/teeth/burs frm some of my frnds in US and practiced at a nearby dental school. You can get all burs/typos/burs at any dental school or private dental equipment stores (search in google fr locations near ur place). Try to borrow frm any frnds if you have...

If you dont have any frnds...best thing is to get it (esp aeroter) frm ur home country....you can buy rest of the things in US itself..(affordable)..

if not get a micromotor set frm ur home country and change the adapter...so that u can practice at home...

compressors are available in all home depots in US..(75-150$)....u have to search for attachments and foot control to fit to the compressor if you already have an aerotor in place....(no use of compressor if you dont have aerotor)....

you can even google and search for used compressors and aerotors whic are for sale.....you can even post in threads in sdn asking if anyone is selling the whole kit....

Hope this helps....

It is my Question too.Thanks in advance for the answer.:luck:

Dear Goldentist and drdental07

I burrowed airoter/typos/teeth/burs frm some of my frnds in US and practiced at a nearby dental school. You can get all burs/typos/burs at any dental school or private dental equipment stores (search in google fr locations near ur place). Try to borrow frm any frnds if you have...

If you dont have any frnds...best thing is to get it (esp aeroter) frm ur home country....you can buy rest of the things in US itself..(affordable)..

if not get a micromotor set frm ur home country and change the adapter...so that u can practice at home...

compressors are available in all home depots in US..(75-150$)....u have to search for attachments and foot control to fit to the compressor if you already have an aerotor in place....(no use of compressor if you dont have aerotor)....

you can even google and search for used compressors and aerotors whic are for sale.....you can even post in threads in sdn asking if anyone is selling the whole kit....

Hope this helps....

Thanks Dear Incision.It Really Helped me.
Happy New Year 2009!:)

Try ebay.
Brassler for burs and make sure you get a discount. I got almost 50% off.

HI La fea

thanq for your valuable information. Hope this helps some of the sdnites plannin to take bench exam in the future...

all the best with your future academic goals....

Try ebay.
Brassler for burs and make sure you get a discount. I got almost 50% off.

Thanks a lot friends in considering my post and giving information:luck::luck:

HI La fea

thanq for your valuable information. Hope this helps some of the sdnites plannin to take bench exam in the future...

all the best with your future academic goals....

I sure hope so!
Good luck to you as well :D

thanks for sharing your experience...can u pls tell me what all to buy exactly for practising...i have my aeroter from india..so i think i should buy a compressor that suits it..plus what kind of typhos to practise on?i read somewhr that it is ivorine teeth...is it the ones that we have to practice??any special kind of burs??thanks a lottttt

hi rose,
i m already done wid my bench exam,n have all the stuff required to practise including brand new burs,teeth,typhos,handpiece,ideal models n some other stuff.if interested pls pm me...

Dear rose82

typos -columbia or kilgore
Most schools use columbia typos (I suggest to buy this)

you can buy some extra teeth when u buy typos.
NOTE: Columbia teeth doesnt fit kilgore and vice-versa.

Dont worry about teeth and burs....usually the dental store guys will help u if you have any doubts...

regardin burs...you just have to know the number/size of the bur and for which procedure/plane (class 2 /crown cutting/ gingival wall/proximal wall etc).

Getting hoses/foot control to connect aeroter to compressor will be difficult....u can ask any nearby dental store..they might help u...

you can also buy some second had stuff....

hope this helps..

thanks for sharing your experience...can u pls tell me what all to buy exactly for practising...i have my aeroter from india..so i think i should buy a compressor that suits it..plus what kind of typhos to practise on?i read somewhr that it is ivorine teeth...is it the ones that we have to practice??any special kind of burs??thanks a lottttt

Great work Incision.
Good luck for success in future...

HI UTHSC

Thanq very much.

I will appretiate if other accepted candidates could add something new to
this thread or share their own experiences...so that it will be benficial to some current and future students...

Great work Incision.
Good luck for success in future...

HI UTHSC

Thanq very much.

I will appretiate if other accepted candidates could add something new to
this thread or share their own experiences...so that it will be benficial to some current and future students...

every body on this thread is just saying thanks for sharing information or appreciating the great job of sharing interview experience...........comeon people who have been accepted or hv gone through interview phase........share your experience or give some tips tipssssss others .........we are looking for help in the same way .....you did .........
so come forward and contribute it will take nothing......
thanks

Hi incision,

Thanks for your all useful posts, can you plz tell me where to read details of all burs no. and sizes that we need for class 2 and crown cuttings. So that i will buy only that burs to do my cuttings. I have no idea, just collecting material for preps.

Thanks

Dear rose82

Dont worry about teeth and burs....usually the dental store guys will help u if you have any doubts...

regardin burs...you just have to know the number/size of the bur and for which procedure/plane (class 2 /crown cutting/ gingival wall/proximal wall etc).

Getting hoses/foot control to connect aeroter to compressor will be difficult....u can ask any nearby dental store..they might help u...

hope this helps..

Dear rose82

hope this helps..

thanks a lot for the reply...congrats and all the best for your future endeavours!

Hi pulpstone

I think you are aware of the 'Interview feedback' forum on sdn.
Make sure go through that forum and check for respected schools before you for any interview.
It gives an overview of all the types of questions they ask you in the interviews.

some tips....if you are lookin on the same terms....

1. Chart down all the common interview Q's and prepare the answers beforehand. Practice (as mant times as possible) the answers in front of a mirror or with a frnd/family member until you become an expert.

Common Q's: your dental experience, why dentistry, why this school, 5yr/10yr goals, do you want to specialize, why US, ethical Q's in some schools (check interview feedback forums)

Most interviews are like a normal talk/ discussion. so maintain your cool head.

2. Talk slowly and clearly. (clear your throat before you enter the interview room r sometimes ur voice may die)

3. Eye contact is very important. Dont shy out.

4. Most importantly be confident with what even you say.

Hope this helps.
Appretiate others feedback.

every body on this thread is just saying thanks for sharing information or appreciating the great job of sharing interview experience...........comeon people who have been accepted or hv gone through interview phase........share your experience or give some tips tipssssss others .........we are looking for help in the same way .....you did .........
so come forward and contribute it will take nothing......
thanks

HI nbde 2

It all depends on your convenience also.

Its given in many books (refer sturdvent).
if you are close to any dental school, ask any current students they will help you.

I dont remember all the bur sizes. So i cant guide you in a wrong way.
Check other sdn forums (practicals/bench exam). you will see lot of posts on bur sizes and shapes.

Hope this helps.

Hi incision,

Thanks for your all useful posts, can you plz tell me where to read details of all burs no. and sizes that we need for class 2 and crown cuttings. So that i will buy only that burs to do my cuttings. I have no idea, just collecting material for preps.

Thanks

guys, do u think i should apply to NYC (cause even if i got accepted its 3 years program) or i would wait for next year and try my luck with other 2 years program schools (knowing that now i applied for BU and UMN)

hi AMTM

There are many students with good scores/gpa's/ resume who got rejected or not even called for an interview at NYU. So dont be over confident and Be aware of this situation. It is no joke gettin into NYU though its a 3yr program. you can think of joinin or declinin once u get an acceptance letter. all the best.

guys, do u think i should apply to NYC (cause even if i got accepted its 3 years program) or i would wait for next year and try my luck with other 2 years program schools (knowing that now i applied for BU and UMN)

hi AMTM

There are many students with good scores/gpa's/ resume who got rejected or not even called for an interview at NYU. So dont be over confident and Be aware of this situation. It is no joke gettin into NYU though its a 3yr program. you can think of joinin or declinin once u get an acceptance letter. all the best.

first, am sure its not easy getting to NYU and i didnt mean any disrespect to anyone, all what iam saying that at the year diff which actually gonna be more expenses i pay (around 100k) i can try to improve my application overall (more experience, retake any exams if needed) and still gonna finish at the same time (if i got accepted in any school next year)

thats all whats in my mind, and honsetly am gonna do the same as u suggest apply and see what will happen(i think i would be at the safe side) and go from there.

Dear AMTM

Yeah its true that NYU is damn expensive. Moreover if you ask any longterm practitioners in US, they would say that it is not worthy to shellout so much money for DDS (for that matter any school), even though its an excellent school. With the economic recession it is difficult to get loans. Moreover its not a cake walk to repay $ 250,000. I have couple of frnds who dropped NYU aftr gettin admsn last yr. you have to make the FINAL CALL with the tough competition. all the best.

first, am sure its not easy getting to NYU and i didnt mean any disrespect to anyone, all what iam saying that at the year diff which actually gonna be more expenses i pay (around 100k) i can try to improve my application overall (more experience, retake any exams if needed) and still gonna finish at the same time (if i got accepted in any school next year)

thats all whats in my mind, and honsetly am gonna do the same as u suggest apply and see what will happen(i think i would be at the safe side) and go from there.

Dear aligners

hi incision i read your message got inspired im kind of struggling with my toefl could you pls tell me ur friends with the scores btw 80-90 appilied to which all colleges and they were called for interviews ur reply would be really appreciated thank you and congrats on ur acceptance to bu

hi AMTM

hi incision i was going thru the site of usc they say min of 100 reqd for toefl but u think we can apply with the score of 80-90 pls reply

HI dentalpal13

I am cent % sure that you can apply with that toefl score. couple of my frnds got accepted this yr with scores in 80's and 90's. USC might be the only exception. But for rest of the schools, you have meet the criteria (minimum required score). I also heard that students were called for interviews at BU this yr with toefl scores less than 100. (around 95 +).

hi incision i was going thru the site of usc they say min of 100 reqd for toefl but u think we can apply with the score of 80-90 pls reply