don't go to USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely...off the top of my head I believe it's scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd week of January. I'm not sure if they're going to mail another letter to the alumni or make the announcement at school though.

I think it's going to be about a donation or some breakthrough in research or prize. I highly doubt they will invite everyone associated with uscsd to talk about changes to PBL lol...

edit: It's on January 20th and the entire school is closed/shut down form 8am - 1pm. Seems pretty big..

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is about USC Pre-dent, but is their Pharmacy program also as bad as what the OP posted? It would be great to know so I don't board the wrong ship when I apply in future into their pharm program.

I think it's going to be about a donation or some breakthrough in research or prize. I highly doubt they will invite everyone associated with uscsd to talk about changes to PBL lol...

edit: It's on January 20th and the entire school is closed/shut down form 8am - 1pm. Seems pretty big..

any news?

Members don't see this ad :)
$35 million donation. Apparently they're renaming the school.

Yep... thanks to 35 million we are now the "Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC."

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_14230015

"A USC graduate and trustee has given $35 million to his alma mater's dental school, in what is believed to be the largest individual donation to a dental school in the United States, it was announced today.

The school has been renamed the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC in recognition of the gift, which was announced at a gala unveiling ceremony at the Norris Dental Science Center.

"This magnificent gift will be a powerful catalyst for innovations and improvements in human health, and for building on USC's long tradition of leadership in dentistry," USC President Steven B. Sample said.

Avishai Sadan, the school's dean, said the gift will help to renovate and improve clinical facilities, bring in new faculty members, support dental and craniofacial research, enhance service programs in downtown Los Angeles and attract and retain students.

Ostrow earned his DDS from USC in 1945 and spent 17 years practicing dentistry before going into the construction and real estate market in Los Angeles.

"I'm proud to give my support and my name to the USC School of Dentistry, an institution with a well-earned reputation for excellence," he said. "I am thrilled that my legacy will provide tomorrow's talented professionals with opportunities to achieve great successes.""

Hopefully they can finish the second floor renovation now.

That was already set for the break in April 2010:
http://dentistry.usc.edu/usc_dentistry_headlines_reader.aspx?id=4282

Wow 35 million? Any chance that my tuition would be lowered? :)
I guess this is an example of the Trojan network and alumni support!

Wow 35 million? Any chance that my tuition would be lowered? :)
I guess this is an example of the Trojan network and alumni support!

35 million is a lot of dough, but not really for USC. It is still 7.2 million short if the donation were to pay 4 year of tuition and fees for 144 students. :laugh:

35 million is a lot of dough, but not really for USC. It is still 7.2 million short if the donation were to pay 4 year of tuition and fees for 144 students. :laugh:

I agree, that's wayyyy too much money for a school that isn't even the best to take from us, especially when we do not have any money and do not want to have a half-million dollar dept right after graduation...

I currently go to USC dental school and I HATE THIS SCHOOL!! I'm paying $500 a day to sit around and not learn anything... Do yourself a favor and avoid this school at ALL costs. My friend got stabbed and mugged the other day while bike riding around the school, its not a friendly place.

We just got a donation and the name of our school changed. They plan on pocketing the money and raising tuition even more. The 35 mil donation doesn't even cover 144 students tuition, in fact its 7 mil short, I really regret accepting my contract to attend usc because now I'm stuck here.

I constantly have to fight for more patients and room to operate, the factulty doesn't even respect me, treats me as an unimportant person and gets mad at me for absolutely no reason.

If you get into ANYWHERE ELSE, go there....

USC School of Dentistry - class of 2012

I currently go to USC dental school and I HATE THIS SCHOOL!! I'm paying $500 a day to sit around and not learn anything... Do yourself a favor and avoid this school at ALL costs. My friend got stabbed and mugged the other day while bike riding around the school, its not a friendly place.

We just got a donation and the name of our school changed. They plan on pocketing the money and raising tuition even more. The 35 mil donation doesn't even cover 144 students tuition, in fact its 7 mil short, I really regret accepting my contract to attend usc because now I'm stuck here.

I constantly have to fight for more patients and room to operate, the factulty doesn't even respect me, treats me as an unimportant person and gets mad at me for absolutely no reason.

thanks for letting everyone know.

Last edited:

What patients are you fighting for? The only part of clinic you're sniffing is Soph. Perio Block, which is possibly the easiest thing to complete at SC.

Isn't the point to pocket the money? What else would the school do with it, give it away? If you understand how an endowment works, then you would understand that this will pay off year after year.

PBL is a different story. It's not for everyone and I'm sorry it's not working out for you.

Best of luck!

Hmm very first post by you is this post and usc class of 2012 isnt even in your signature but something typed by you. Why type big USC Class of 2012 everytime when you hate the school so much? I saw a similar post to UCSF from someone who is waitlisted trying to make people from not accepting their offers.
Sorry if it's not really working out for you but my cousin who should be in your 2012 is surely enjoying
his time there (we are both doing hpsp so maybe not thinking about 500 a day would put you in a better mood)

Members don't see this ad :)
What patients are you fighting for? The only part of clinic you're sniffing is Soph. Perio Block, which is possibly the easiest thing to complete at SC.

Isn't the point to pocket the money? What else would the school do with it, give it away? If you understand how an endowment works, then you would understand that this will pay off year after year.

PBL is a different story. It's not for everyone and I'm sorry it's not working out for you.

Best of luck!

Sophomore perio block was definitely easy. You're guaranteed a chair every week during sophomore perio blocks. Have you tried contacting your juniors and seniors about patients? Send an e-mail to the whole class offering to do prophys and quads for them. There are seniors that have lots of quads that need completing so that they can move onto the operative phase of treatment.

Thanks! This is why I did not choose USC (along with advice from my directors and mentors)

are things still the same at USC?"

i know since the new deans there have been "changes" but it's never been mentioned what the changes were specifically and if it helps to prepare for NBDEI better and if there are actual helpful lectures now

i'd like to know this as well. has anything changed?

just don't go here, You know, you can read all my old posts, I used to Love USC, PBL etc. I even fought for USC I have completely changed my mind. I was wrong, and I admit it. here we have to FIGHT FOR PATIENTS, FIGHT FOR OPEN CHAIRS, FIGHT WITH FACULTY. PBL DOES NOT PREPARE YOU FOR BOARDS. THERE ARE NO LECTURES. FACULTY ALWAYS THINK YOUR A DELINQUENT. THEY GET MAD AT YOU FOR NOW REASON. half the clinic chairs are open but no one can use them because they are in the wrong section...WASTED CLINIC SPACE... YOU HAVE TO FIND YOUR OWN PATIENT. SCHOOL GIVES YOU NON maybe like 2 patients or 3 your entire time your there. This is just the tip of the iceberg. In that sense there are a few and I do mean just a few wonderful people there that are trying their best to help out... and they know the system is messed up too.

The entire system is flawed, no wonder 2 years ago there was a 17 percent graduation rate. And from what I hear they are changing the entire system to the traditional system...but don't count on it!!! if you get into anywhere else GO THERE..

Have you even graduated yet or getting close to it?

Oh man I feel really bad for many...but tell me about it paying so much money for the dental hygiene program is nuts! Its insane when patients pay to get a treatment and there is one faculty per 4 students which may seem good but not when that faculty spends all their time with one student and the rest are left alone to do work for the first time on a patient. When themselves do not even know if what they are doing is fine...no one watching for tissue trauma etc..its pretty frustrating not to mention that they time you and give you so little time for things...its sad but I know many who hate the program now..but no one will ever say anything because no one wants to be the one who is on faculties bad side...makes me want to give up and not this anymore.

are things still the same at USC?"

i know since the new deans there have been "changes" but it's never been mentioned what the changes were specifically and if it helps to prepare for NBDEI better and if there are actual helpful lectures now

I don't think USC has even been preparing students well for part 1. For class of 2014 on it doesn't really matter because its going pass and no pass. Most people can pass by studying on their own unfortunately.

There has been so many changes since this original thread started. The initial compliants by sean whatever started back in 2006. He graduated '10

one thing I like to say, If you think throwing your x-rays across the room on the floor is what is called being a professional school, you entire Ideology about learning is completely different than mine!!!!!

This is an old quote from when I was in your place, I wrote this to another to another upperclassman.

"""sounds like an upperclassman is bitter again, how typical! don't worry Mr "dont" you'll be a doctor one day! and all this will be soon forgotten! yes i'm a class of 2010 and i play with plastic teeth!! get over yourself and go get your requirements finished instead of sitting in front of the computer answering every person's little comment about USC!""""

I understand what they went through now!!! I wish I could apologize to this person!!!

That was me Sean. I hated and probably still hate USC Dental for what they did to me. Columbia, you're just basically following the trend me and Sean followed at the beginning, when we were still "naive." I am class of 2009 and already practicing in private practice. However, looking back at those horrible 2 final years @ SC, I feel like a part of my life ended in those halls. I really hope SC has cleaned up their act. I have nothing but nightmares about SC

]

Columbia07 or Seansk, do USC instructors still teach you guys to finish the crown prep with a bevelled shoulder margin? Just a silly question:).

That is the craziest thing ever. I only did this at SC; Now, I NEVER bevel my shoulder when doing crown preps. However, its a pretty good technique to refine your handskills; chances are USC dental is the last place you'll practice it.

what are the current stats for USC as far NBDE part I passing rate and graduation rate?

thanks

To preface, I'm sorry to bump an older thread. I was on USC website to see how I can check the status of my app and it gave me an error that I must contact someone immediately. So I did and while waiting to hear back, I searched to see if there were any old posts about this problem and came across this thread. I can't believe what I'm reading on here. Then another thread on schools that may lose or accreditation.

They are older posts from a couple of years ago and changes may have been made. I would love to hear anyone who either presently or have gone to this school share their experiences here. Is this all still true for the most part or are these the words of just a handful of disgruntled students? I try to sieve what I read on forums but the descriptions are so detailed, it's disturbing if these are all true. Can anyone speak on this?

I have a love/hate relationship with them...well, maybe more like/hate. As far as PBL goes, I'd say it's "ok." You can get something out of it, but it requires a huge amount of personal motivation and is a very inefficient use of time, considering how much else you're juggling during D1 and D2. Now that I'm studying for boards, i don't feel completely unprepared, so I guess I got something out of it. In terms of clinic, I've barely gotten my toe in the door and have already run into multiple issues. It's looking like I'll probably have a crappy couple of years ahead, but then again, everyone seems to complain about clinic, no matter what school you go to.

Overall, I'd say it's not worth the money, but if it's your only option (as seems to have been the situation for most in my class), you can suck it up and get the degree. If I could've done it again though, no, I would not have gone to USC.

Why did i apply to this school again? sounds VERY messed up

Wow reading all this has been somewhat depressing... Any positive stories from USC students?

I have a love/hate relationship with them...well, maybe more like/hate. As far as PBL goes, I'd say it's "ok." You can get something out of it, but it requires a huge amount of personal motivation and is a very inefficient use of time, considering how much else you're juggling during D1 and D2. Now that I'm studying for boards, i don't feel completely unprepared, so I guess I got something out of it. In terms of clinic, I've barely gotten my toe in the door and have already run into multiple issues. It's looking like I'll probably have a crappy couple of years ahead, but then again, everyone seems to complain about clinic, no matter what school you go to.

Overall, I'd say it's not worth the money, but if it's your only option (as seems to have been the situation for most in my class), you can suck it up and get the degree. If I could've done it again though, no, I would not have gone to USC.

I thought you were applying for dental school this year? How can you be c/o 2013?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11319247#post11319247

Whether or not "vigilante" really goes to usc i can confirm that what he is saying is spot on from what ive seen/heard from others in the school.

Last edited:
What a shame. I would think someone who has gone through the AF Academy had higher ethics than that.

My question is whether or not he really went to the AF Academy. Can you really trust anything this guy says anymore?

:nono:

Agree with the OP. I have heard a lot of bad rumors about USC's dental program. It's a place I would not want to go to. Plus it's PBL-based curriculum, which is a joke to some people.

I think it’s okay for the discussion to get a little heated provided that it doesn’t become personal. Up to now, I think it’s fantastic that most individuals are sticking to their own arguing items without allowing it to get also personal together with personal insults. Private insults don’t help any person.

I hope some D3 or D4 from USC would come to this thread and let us know if there are changes at USC..

This is probably the most recent post, also check out this link.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11833212&postcount=8

Well USC is an "enjoyable" place to go to dental school, and that's worth noting since dental school is usually hell. The faculty tends to treat you with respect and people go out and have a good time quite a bit. This school is all about clinical, people talk about PBL all the time but we only have that 8 hours a week, and by the time you get to second year it's more like 2-3 hours a week even though it's still scheduled for 8 hours a week.

We spend all our time in sim lab doing pre-clinical things that will actually be applicable to practice. You will start drilling even before the first official day of school here. First year they ease you in with amalgam, tooth morphology, and PBL first semester. You get like a day and a half off a week and get to have a really good time. That day off is in there so you can go on your radiology rotations and take x-rays when your turn comes up. Second trimester it starts to get harder, Amalgam continues, you go into Composite, Occlusion while still having PBL. Third trimester it really starts to get rough you continue Composite, while taking Indirect restoration which is preparing teeth for crowns and making provisional (temporaries) and use CEREC, you take sophomore perio block and clean each other's teeth, you also take head and neck anatomy lab, and PBL again.

So at the end of your first year you know how to fill every type of cavity, make or place veneers, clean teeth, and do a crown.

Second year first trimester you take post fixed where you do bridges and harder crown preps on posterior teeth, you also have to cast your own crown out of gold, you also take ortho, pedo, endo, treatment planning, and you also take perio again but this time you work on patients. oh yeah and PBL

Second trimester you take anesthesia, implant treatment planning, more perio, more ortho, start studying for boards, anterior fixed, removable partial dentures, perio implant lab and oh yeah that pesky PBL again.

Then after that you go into clinic and start working on patients for the next 2 and a half years
So as you can see we focus on the preclinical stuff, they drill it into you, the smother you with it, and you will be better for it.

As far as graduating on time everyone but one person who I know graduated on time, and that one person took a different pathway where he went to all the CE courses this school offered so that he'd learn more(they cost a fraction for students compared to the public), but he had to skip class to do it. Lots of my friends went on to specialize all across the country, I don't know exact stats but I know where these people went.

I personally would not have gone to any other school at this point. USC was like the bottom of my list due to price and it was the only school I got into. I am happy here and I live a great life, the stress comes and the long hours and hard days, but that's just part of dental school. I've gone to every football game, we have sick tailgates, everyone helps each other out and you get treated like a human. Plus the undergrad girls are smoking and the weather is sweet.

I am very happy with USC. I know that last year all the graduating seniors that I was friends with said this was the best four years of their life, and you never hear that about dental school.

This is probably the most recent post, also check out this link.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11833212&postcount=8

Well USC is an "enjoyable" place to go to dental school, and that's worth noting since dental school is usually hell. The faculty tends to treat you with respect and people go out and have a good time quite a bit. This school is all about clinical, people talk about PBL all the time but we only have that 8 hours a week, and by the time you get to second year it's more like 2-3 hours a week even though it's still scheduled for 8 hours a week.

We spend all our time in sim lab doing pre-clinical things that will actually be applicable to practice. You will start drilling even before the first official day of school here. First year they ease you in with amalgam, tooth morphology, and PBL first semester. You get like a day and a half off a week and get to have a really good time. That day off is in there so you can go on your radiology rotations and take x-rays when your turn comes up. Second trimester it starts to get harder, Amalgam continues, you go into Composite, Occlusion while still having PBL. Third trimester it really starts to get rough you continue Composite, while taking Indirect restoration which is preparing teeth for crowns and making provisional (temporaries) and use CEREC, you take sophomore perio block and clean each other's teeth, you also take head and neck anatomy lab, and PBL again.

So at the end of your first year you know how to fill every type of cavity, make or place veneers, clean teeth, and do a crown.

Second year first trimester you take post fixed where you do bridges and harder crown preps on posterior teeth, you also have to cast your own crown out of gold, you also take ortho, pedo, endo, treatment planning, and you also take perio again but this time you work on patients. oh yeah and PBL

Second trimester you take anesthesia, implant treatment planning, more perio, more ortho, start studying for boards, anterior fixed, removable partial dentures, perio implant lab and oh yeah that pesky PBL again.

Then after that you go into clinic and start working on patients for the next 2 and a half years
So as you can see we focus on the preclinical stuff, they drill it into you, the smother you with it, and you will be better for it.

As far as graduating on time everyone but one person who I know graduated on time, and that one person took a different pathway where he went to all the CE courses this school offered so that he'd learn more(they cost a fraction for students compared to the public), but he had to skip class to do it. Lots of my friends went on to specialize all across the country, I don't know exact stats but I know where these people went.

I personally would not have gone to any other school at this point. USC was like the bottom of my list due to price and it was the only school I got into. I am happy here and I live a great life, the stress comes and the long hours and hard days, but that's just part of dental school. I've gone to every football game, we have sick tailgates, everyone helps each other out and you get treated like a human. Plus the undergrad girls are smoking and the weather is sweet.

I am very happy with USC. I know that last year all the graduating seniors that I was friends with said this was the best four years of their life, and you never hear that about dental school.

Thank you for your explanation... Are you from Cali, and have you taken the first part of NBDE? What was the new passing rate?

not from californie, and this wasn't originally posted by me, although there's a good chance I'll be attending next year. They said at my interview that the pass rate is very high 90's%, probably on par with most others. Students I talked to pretty much backed this up, out of a class of 144 there will usually be a couple who have extenuating circumstances and don't pass first time. For you it's a similar price to tufts, I wouldn't say either is necessarily better than the other, mainly a matter of personal preference.

not from californie, and this wasn't originally posted by me, although there's a good chance I'll be attending next year. They said at my interview that the pass rate is very high 90's%, probably on par with most others. Students I talked to pretty much backed this up, out of a class of 144 there will usually be a couple who have extenuating circumstances and don't pass first time. For you it's a similar price to tufts, I wouldn't say either is necessarily better than the other, mainly a matter of personal preference.

kentuckylover, I normally just follow, but letsdoitbama's comment is not true. Tufts is a significantly better program. It has much better facilities, curriculum, and resources. I looked back over your comments and saw you said you liked the idea of PBL. When I was on my tour at USC, my tour guide flat out told us she didn't feel the PBL system prepared her well enough for the exams. She said she just got accustomed to not getting all the information to do well on the exams. I also spoke with several students in the dental school at USC on my trip. One said, "Run." I laughed, thinking he was joking. He then kept a straight face and said, "No, seriously, if you get in anywhere else go there, I am here because it's the only place I was accepted." The other students echoed the sentiment, telling me that PBL is a nightmare. Honestly, true stories. While I think their assessment was a little extreme, USC is definitely one of the bottom choices out there. I understand let'sdoitbama wants to talk up his school as an equal to Tufts, or a lot of the other good dental schools, but it's just simply not the case. It's not a conspiracy that a long thread like this about not picking USC exists. I'd still pick USC over places like Meharry, Howard, Roseman, and LECOM, but Tufts is a no brainer over USC.

I like USC. Such a laid back school. There are a lot of happy students here, but there are bound to be some miserable ones out of 144 in a class. Curriculum has changed alot since the students posting here went through the program and I think we are on the right track

The good:
-great faculty. (schools in NY,SF, LA tend to attract great faculty because of the location)
-tradition of innovation in dentistry
-on a very fun undergrad campus
-focuses on fundamentals, good lab work, and great handskills
-diverse student body, faculty, patients
-good research facilities if you have the time
-lot of free time from PBL

The bad:
-high costs
-I dont think its a good school if you have children
-lacks good lectures in subjects not directly related to dentistry or anatomy
-PBL isn't run very well
-school can be very unorganized
-facilities are not as nice for how much we pay
-academic wise, not the best institution
-probably wont prepare you for NBME if you want to do oral surgery, but shouldnt be hard to pass the P/F boards

How so? I don't know much about Tufts and I will admit that their newly renovated building is nice, but the schools are similar in many ways. Both are expensive, with large class sizes, and in expensive saturated cities. I'm sorry your interview experience went poorly. Myself and many others did not have this experience. I know people in my class that chose USC over Tufts, and I cancelled my Tufts interview because I was already accepted to USC.

Tufts will probably build you up better academically, but USC has some good qualities.

kentuckylover, I normally just follow, but letsdoitbama's comment is not true. Tufts is a significantly better program. It has much better facilities, curriculum, and resources. I looked back over your comments and saw you said you liked the idea of PBL. When I was on my tour at USC, my tour guide flat out told us she didn't feel the PBL system prepared her well enough for the exams. She said she just got accustomed to not getting all the information to do well on the exams. I also spoke with several students in the dental school at USC on my trip. One said, "Run." I laughed, thinking he was joking. He then kept a straight face and said, "No, seriously, if you get in anywhere else go there, I am here because it's the only place I was accepted." The other students echoed the sentiment, telling me that PBL is a nightmare. Honestly, true stories. While I think their assessment was a little extreme, USC is definitely one of the bottom choices out there. I understand let'sdoitbama wants to talk up his school as an equal to Tufts, or a lot of the other good dental schools, but it's just simply not the case. It's not a conspiracy that a long thread like this about not picking USC exists. I'd still pick USC over places like Meharry, Howard, Roseman, and LECOM, but Tufts is a no brainer over USC.

I would like to hear from more students at USC and Tufts.

During the interview, I was impressed by Tufts's new dental school and the guy(Mark?) who knows everything about Tufts.I have friends at Tufts dental and went out to bars after my interview at Tufts. My friends were very satisfied with their school and looked very happy.

However, some of their friends who were drinking with us(they were hot :) ) said that they don't regret coming to Tufts, but they also said they think they would be happier at USC. I asked them whether they would pick USC over Tufts if they had a chance then they said they would. I remember them saying that they are getting ranked or something?

But why?...Is it because USC is easier? How about reputation wise?

Students from USC and Tufts. Please speak up. Thanks

During the interview, I was impressed by Tufts's new dental school and the guy(Mark?) who knows everything about Tufts.I have friends at Tufts dental and went out to bars after my interview at Tufts. My friends were very satisfied with their school and looked very happy.

However, some of their friends who were drinking with us(they were hot :) ) said that they don't regret coming to Tufts, but they also said they think they would be happier at USC. I asked them whether they would pick USC over Tufts if they had a chance then they said they would. I remember them saying that they are getting ranked or something?

I think they might have been a bit wasted when they said that :laugh:.

Grasses are always greener on the other side, I guess hehe. It is just like saying apple is better than orange even though you are full from eating orange and didn't get to eat the apple