School reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the Pre-Allo site, there is a whole thread about why Caribbean schools are so bad, most of which talks about how they will accept anybody and they are always a last resort. My vet told me one time that I should not go to one.

As they say, perception = reality. Are Caribbean schools really seen as producing "second class" vets? In trying to get a job later, is there a stigma to having graduated from one?

Members don't see this ad.

The specialty practice that I volunteer at has a vet from a caribbean school in their VERY competative residency program. Not sure how much to draw from that , but I am inclined to think being in the caribean didn't affect her too much.

Yeah, I'm currently a technician at a huge, well respected specialty/emergency/critical care practice. Each year a group of interns comes through, and it's apparently very competitive. One of our current interns is a Ross graduate, and she's amazing. So, it didn't hurt her chances, obviously, and she's definitely not a "second class" vet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it can vary a lot. I think you will find many people who don't believe in the stigma surrounding them and many who do. If Ross is your only option right now and you really can't or don't want to wait, I would go for it. Transferring is always a possibility. I worked with a vet who went to Ross and then transferred to Kansas after his second year. So technically he has a degree from Kansas. I understand all Ross students go to a US school their 4th year and it doesn't mean their degree is from that school-- but this particular doctor did transfer after his second year and he holds a very high paying job that he is very dedicated to as a lab animal vet. I asked him if "it matters where you go at all" and his answer was a firm no.

It was always my understanding that Going To a Carribean School was TOTALLY different than Making It Through a Carribean School. I.e. they have lower NAVLE pass rates, more dropout, les support system set up, and it's more of a 'you're on your own' situation (whearas it seems like a lot of US schools are of the 'if you're in, you're in' mindset - check out the 'cheating vet students' thread in the veterinary forum D: )

So...while carribean schools have more lax admissions criteria, and probably accept lower stat applicants (and how much of that is just who applies to their schools), if you make it through, you're golden.

Edit to add: Also, with the pre-allos, the carrib is seen as lower in status because a lot of people wind up going there instead of DO schools just because they need the MD behind their name...

It was always my understanding that Going To a Carribean School was TOTALLY different than Making It Through a Carribean School. I.e. they have lower NAVLE pass rates, more dropout, les support system set up, and it's more of a 'you're on your own' situation (whearas it seems like a lot of US schools are of the 'if you're in, you're in' mindset - check out the 'cheating vet students' thread in the veterinary forum D: )

I think this is a big part of it. With attrition rates around 50% if you are looking at going to a carribean school I think you really need to look at your own abilities and how confident you are that you will make it.

I know a couple vets who have graduated from carribean schools, some of whom have gone on to do residencies.

I also posted a link a couple weeks ago to an OSU job posting that stated graduated from an accredited institution was a requirement:

"Applicants must have a DVM or equivalent degree from an accredited institution and have or be eligible to acquire an Ohio veterinary medical license."

Another thing to consider is how many vets do you know that were accepted to US schools, but had decided to go to the carribean instead?

I've worked with 2 vets who went to Ross, and know of at least 3 others who used to work at our clinic and had graduated from Ross or SGU. For what it's worth, this is what I've learned from vets & coworkers:

the good:
1) You can still get a satisfying, high paying job
2) You're just as likely to be a great vet as anyone else
3) You can get a great internship/residency (one of our vets did one at Hagyard in KY!)
4) (this is one vet's opinion) you'll probably get more hands on experience than the typical US vet student

the bad:
1) to get your license to practice in the US you have take a pretty brutal 3 day exam that costs ~6k, and if you fail any part you have to retake the whole thing (not that 6k is much in the grand scheme of things)
2) Ross is extremely difficult, and it's easier to fail out there than elsewhere
3) Ross is really expensive
4) sometimes you have to have a thick skin b/c of clients' & coworkers' negative opinions about the Carib education, but a lot of people don't really care where you went (I'm not sure most of our clients even know the difference between vet school/vet tech school/grad school actually)

Last edited:
Some of the best vets I know (including my boyfriend:)) went to Ross. You will not have a "stigma" when applying for jobs in the states. His services are always in high demand because he is good at what he does. Same for other Ross grads that I know. Very few clients ask you where you went to school.

I am hoping to be there with you in the Spring. I still waiting for them to receive all of my stuff, but hope to hear about an interview soon. :)

4) sometimes you have to have a thick skin b/c of clients' & coworkers' negative opinions about the Carib education, but a lot of people don't really care where you went

This may not be everyone's experience, but I know very few people who care or even know where their vets went to vet school, except those who are in the field, as it were. I think once you're practicing, your work history matters, and where you went to school doesn't really, as long as you have a DVM (or VMD, Penn people). Most people who I talk to, aside from my direct family members (only because they've been hearing about it non-stop for years) and other pre-vet or vet-related people, have no idea about differences in schools. When I got accepted this year, I got a lot of "oh, is that a good school?" To which I reply that they are basically all good schools because there are fewer than 30 in the country (stupid allo kids....so many options :annoyed:). If I told most people that I was going to Ross or St. George they would have no idea where they were or the general impressions of the schools. But like I said, that may not be true for everyone.

Personally, I have worked for 2 vets that went to Ross/SGU, and they are both very competent vets. One of them is not my favorite person, but that's another story. And the other one is one of my favorite people, and I had her write one of my rec letters this year.

Still, I have a hard time getting past the stigma, and my general plan was to not apply to caribbean schools (or Massey, etc.) this year, and if I didn't get in anywhere to take a year and re-apply. If by next year I still hadn't gotten into a US school and was accepted to one of the others I would have gone. No question.

I heard similar opinions on Ross university, and overall I don't think its true. There are a few former Ross students that have transferred into my class. They all seem to know all the info as well as any of the other students. Also, I have worked with a few Ross students doing their 4th year rotations at the clinic, they all seem well trained and knowledgeable.

As a side note, all Ross students I have talked to reports that all tests taken at Ross are multiple choice. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage I'm not sure.

I'm Canadian, and I can pretty much only apply to the vet school in my area. From what I've heard, I don't have a chance in heck of making it into any of the other vet schools in the country, or as an international student somewhere else. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this... but that's what people are telling me)

If I don't get into this ONE school... then what?

And what if I don't want to go to this school... then what?

Seeing this thread is kind of bumming me out a little bit...

Do people actually say that the Caribbean puts out "less capable" vets? Lower admission standards doesn't mean that they dumb down vet school for its students.

Honestly, I would tend to believe the caribbean stigma regarding the human docs. There are SO many schools available that I think if you can't find a single school to take you in the states, maybe they see something that worries them.

As far as the veterinary caribbean schools (my only experience is with Ross)...The first veterinarian I worked for was a Ross grad and let's just say he had a lack of tact. Some people loved him, but he also made some people feel terrible. Regardless, I don't stereotype the school as producing this type of doctor, that was just his personality. In talking with a Ross admissions guy (one spoke to our pre-vet club in undergrad), he acted like acceptance would not be an issue. That bothered me a little because the veterinary profession is a very small, close-knit group of people, and I'd hate to think that just anyone could join if they had the money. As far as the quality of the programs, if you can make it through and pass the tests, I have no doubt that you have the technical knowledge to be a veterinarian. Equally important though is your bedside manner (if you're rude, no one will bring their animal to you), and that is completely dependent on the student themself. The same can be said of the American veterinary schools though.

Still, I have a hard time getting past the stigma, and my general plan was to not apply to caribbean schools (or Massey, etc.) this year

just a question...do you feel the same stigma that surrounds Caribbean schools also surrounds Massey or other accredited foreign vet schools? My impression was that since Massey and a few others are AVMA accredited they do not have this 'stigma' surrounding them like Caribbean schools. From what I've heard, Massey is an excellent vet school and it has >95% pass rate of its students on the NAVLE.

...oh yeah...(whispering) I finished "In a Sunburned Country" and I think I wanna go on a walkabout now:D And then I saw this commercial on TV and I think it was a sign that I should go to U. of Melbourne... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGMuxJ0vCc

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the Pre-Allo site, there is a whole thread about why Caribbean schools are so bad, most of which talks about how they will accept anybody and they are always a last resort. My vet told me one time that I should not go to one.

As they say, perception = reality. Are Caribbean schools really seen as producing "second class" vets? In trying to get a job later, is there a stigma to having graduated from one?

One of the reasons there is so much stigma with the Carib schools on the MD side is they have a much more difficult time matching for their residencies than US grads. As someone previously mentioned, there are so many medical schools and DO schools, that it looks less favorable to go to a Carib school. The big argument over there is DO vs Carib. It gets very, very heated.

As far as in the veterinary field, i think there are always those that may look down upon the Carib education. I feel as though they are misinformed. It may be easier to get in, but it is much more difficult to stay in! If you are able to pass the Boards like every US graduate and pass an additional, brutal 3 day exam, why would you not be respected as a DVM? Not everyone can pick up and go to an international school, let alone afford it. Not to mention the fact that SGU and SMU do not have Federal loans - this definitely affects the quality of not only the applicant pool, but most definitely the stats of the matriculated students. It only makes sense that due to the competitiion in the US, most people who get accepted to US schools have higher GPA's, better GRE scores and possibly more varied experience. We all know that if there were a 150 vet schools in the US, they would be still be filled with exceptionally qualified students, but the accepted student averages (GPA, GRE) would drop simply due to the law of averages.

The fact that over 20 US schools accept Ross and SGU students to complete their clinical rotations at their university, should say something. If the students were inferior, it would not make sense for these schools to continue to grant these contracts.

This is my first cycle and i have only applied to schools in the Caribbean due to missing the deadline for US schools and being a non-trad student with no time to see if i even get in next cycle. I feel confident that I will receive a quality education and be a competent Vet should i complete my education at a Carib school. Might I not get a few first job offers due to being a Carib vet? Possibly. I feel as though it is only the first job that will be the most limiting if you are a good vet. If you prove yourself in your first job and then decide to go to another practice, your experience will weigh much more heavily than where you graduated from. Same holds true for undergrad. I've been in the corporate world for 13 years and except for my first place of employment, no one cared where i went to school.

Whew, that was long-winded...sorry. Bottom line is you will get all sorts of opinions on this subject. It is especially brutal on the Pre-Allo side and lots of flaming - you cannnot compare going to med school in the Carib and Vet school - two different animals (no pun intended). I would say if you have the opportunity to go to an accredited university, then go. If not, and the Caribbean is your only choice, I would go without hesitation. Both Ross and SGU have great reputations for turning out great vets.

My other recommendation is to go talk to people - any schools you may be interested in doing an intership/residency, vets in practice, graduates of Carib schools and current students.

Transferring is an option, but should certainly not be counted on.

Best of Luck to You :luck:

The radiology resident that assists us in Anatomy is a Ross graduate. I think you'd be fine with a degree from Ross. The fact is, there are so few schools and hence DVM graduates that even if someone wanted to be snotty about someone going to a Carib school, there will be plenty of others who'd hire you.

I personally would try for an Australian school though if I were going abroad, because Australia and New Zealand both are awesome! And From a Sunburned Country is my favorite Bill Bryson book.

just a question...do you feel the same stigma that surrounds Caribbean schools also surrounds Massey or other accredited foreign vet schools? My impression was that since Massey and a few others are AVMA accredited they do not have this 'stigma' surrounding them like Caribbean schools. From what I've heard, Massey is an excellent vet school and it has >95% pass rate of its students on the NAVLE.

...oh yeah...(whispering) I finished "In a Sunburned Country" and I think I wanna go on a walkabout now:D And then I saw this commercial on TV and I think it was a sign that I should go to U. of Melbourne... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGMuxJ0vCc

I personally would much rather go to an Australian school or Massey (or UK school, whathaveyou) than SGU or Ross. I was actually considering applying to Melbourne this cycle, but honestly just ran out of time to do it well, since the application, if I recally correctly, was due on the same day as the UF supplemental. Anyway, I still think that the stigma is there, though, for others, because people who don't know what's what don't know which schools are and are not accredited. New Zealand, St. Kitts, same thing...right?

Ugh, that commercial makes me want to go back so bad! I'm not sure what waterfall that was at the end, but I spent some time there in Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory, and we swam in Jim Jim Falls (which, for the record, is in the book of 1,000 Places to See Before You Die...and I suggest it to everyone). We were supposed to also go to Twin Falls (the double waterfall in the commercial reminded me of this, but I doubt it's the same one), but they hadn't gotten all of the salties out yet. You kinda have to be careful where you swim around the Northern Territory... When I was deciding where to study abroad I wanted to go to Australia more then anywhere else in the world, so that's where I went, figuring that after I'd been I would go to Europe or something (probably Ireland) next. But now I only want to go back to Australia, probably even more than I originally wanted to go because now I know what I'm missing! Sorry...not trying to hijack a second thread in the same day...

Since Ross is the only place I was accepted, I am definitely going there (I don't want to go through another cycle). When people (esp. vets) ask me where I am going, I always say "Ross" with a little hesitation because I am afraid of what they will think in spite of the fact that I have heard that you get a really good education there. It is actually making me less excited about vet school (well, that and the need to find fosters for my 7 furkids for 28 months) than I want to be. I just want to be able to hold my head up high when I say "Ross".

VeganChick, I think you can feel proud of going to Ross. Don't worry about other people who make snide remarks or give you any funny looks - they have no idea what they're talking about. I think that, as long as you go and excel, you'll do fine in life. You'll make a great veterinarian.

I know it can be hard being on this board and seeing all the people who've gotten five interviews and four acceptances and have their choice of schools. Try to keep your head up. At the end of it all, you'll still be a vet, just like the kids who got into every US school where they applied. Your clients won't care where you went and your work will speak for itself.

Thank you so much Pandacinny :nod:

I worked with a few veterinarians who did not highly favor Ross many years ago when they were in vet school (12yrs ago). They said that its curriculum was ok, but not a strenuous as other U.S. schools and the DVM students were looked down upon and everyone who could not get accepted into a U.S. school would go there.

But they now say tat the program at Ross has come a long way since they were in school and it’s more competitive now than it ever has been. With more U.S. school accepting students from Ross, I would venture to say it is an alright program.

Veganchick, don't listen to anyone who holds some vet school in high regard and others not so. I think that's very silly. They are probably just jealous they didn't get to live in the Caribbean!;)

And, as it was -5 degrees here this morning, Ross looks pretty good!

VeganChick, I think you can feel proud of going to Ross. Don't worry about other people who make snide remarks or give you any funny looks - they have no idea what they're talking about. I think that, as long as you go and excel, you'll do fine in life. You'll make a great veterinarian.

I know it can be hard being on this board and seeing all the people who've gotten five interviews and four acceptances and have their choice of schools. Try to keep your head up. At the end of it all, you'll still be a vet, just like the kids who got into every US school where they applied. Your clients won't care where you went and your work will speak for itself.

Well said, Pandacinny!

Here is the bottom line, a vet school is a vet school. You will become a veterinarian once you finish from a vet school that is at least has some affiliation with the AVMA (accredited or having to take the ECFVG/PAVE). It is the skills you learn at vet school and how competent you are using those skills in the profession is what really matters.

Yeah, I was about to say, Ross=DVM. In the end, it's no different.

Also, preemptively, you should consider OKState for your 4th year rotation. We have baby goats. :D

We have baby goats

When I was shadowing a large animal vet last summer, he could barely tear me away from the baby goats!

My does are set to kid in February!! I just hope it isn't too cold!

As far as ranks and vet schools, I agree with Pandacinny. Some people even take stock in the rankings of the U.S. schools, but I read an AVMA article stating that students shouldn't really put much confidence into these rankings, since all 28 of the U.S. schools go through and pass the same accreditation process.

Yeah, I definitely think when it comes down to it, whatever program you're at, you only get out what you put into it. Anyone who works hard at a non-accredited school will get just as good (if not better) an education as any other vet program. I've heard from a few different professors that vet students that transfer over from Ross for the rotations are better prepared and better students than the kids that have been at that school the whole time.

And, as it was -5 degrees here this morning, Ross looks pretty good!

Haha, that's what I was thinking. It's staying around 27 here.

I've said more than once, as I'm scraping the ice off my car in sub-freezing weather, that I should have gone to Ross. Then I'd have to worry about....enjoying palm trees, ocean views, and tropical sunsets. Instead of wearing snowgear, chipping the ice out of my driveway, and staring at the 12 ft pile of snow in the yard.

We get Rossies here for their 4th year. From what I've heard they're just as good. The drop rate for those schools is really high so if you can make it though and pass the NAVLE there's no reason to discriminate.

Caribbean schools do not accept 'everyone'. However, they must accept many more students than US schools because 1. they matriculate students 2-3 times a year and 2. many of the students they accept get accepted to US schools and do not attend. Not to mention those who get accepted and can't figure out a way to make it feasible to go to the Carib.

Schools don't weed students out, students weed themselves out. If you get the grades you get a DVM. Period.

Sorry to sound so harsh, it's just that there is so many rumors and incorrect information surrounding Carib schools. Ross is known to have a very high attrition rate compared to SGU and SMU. This is due to many reasons - failure, transfers (even to other Carib schools) and drop outs for personal reasons.

It is not the easiest road, but if you are determined, let nothing stand in your way and make the grade, you will make it through.

Sorry, rant over.

Schools don't weed students out, students weed themselves out. If you get the grades you get a DVM. Period.

Sorry to sound so harsh, it's just that there is so many rumors and incorrect information surrounding Carib schools. Ross is known to have a very high attrition rate compared to SGU and SMU. This is due to many reasons - failure, transfers (even to other Carib schools) and drop outs for personal reasons.

Think about this though, if Ross didnt have an attrition rate as high as it is, would they still be able to place twice as many students into US rotations for their 4th year?

So while you say students weed themselves out, you have to keep in mind that Ross at the same time relies on students "weeding themselves out". The school could not support 100% of their entering classes graduating... so come to your own conclusions on who is weeding out who.

Dreams, you can PM zpinkpanther - she's at Ross and is very nice in answering any questions you may have. She probably would be all over this board, but I bet she's busy. We have a SGU student on the boards as well, but I'll have to look up their name... and, it's Hopeful07. :)

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh, here I am! :hello: I'm always up for a little procrastination, so here goes! :D

No, Ross doesn't accept just anyone. I agree that there are some people here that I personally feel are less competent than others, but I'm not the admissions committee, so I don't make that decision. I will say that there is a bit of a weed-out attitude here, but that really comes from the fact that if you fail one class, you have to repeat the entire semester. If you fail two classes, you're out. So, in that sense, they're pretty hard on us. But the professors are (for the most part- there are exceptions to every rule, of course) very nice and helpful and don't want you to fail. Yes, the curriculum is tough, and you'll have to work hard to do well (barring a photographic memory- which I really wish I had ;)), but most of the professors are happy to help you and will always be there if you need them. Not to scare you, but there is a class here that started out with 110 or 120 and they're now down to about 60 (don't remember the exact numbers). But that's not really common; my class lost a few people between last semester and this one, but most of us made it through okay.

I would recommend that you think about whether you can handle being away from home for 2+ years. Personally, I'm having a hard time with it because I like the school, but not the island. But most people don't have that problem and really like living in the Caribbean (I'm just strange :rolleyes:), so don't worry about that. And Ross is really good about making sure you have a support system right away when you get here. You'll have an orientation group, an orientation leader, and you live in dorms for the first semester, which is actually awesome.

Alright, I have to get back to learning my parasites. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions- I'd be happy to answer them! :)

Oh, and BTW, all of you who are in single digits weather right now... I'm actually really jealous. Wanna trade? :D

I don't think that the Island schools are bad. The students that do attend those schools worked just as hard as students attending vet schools in the States. I think that is unfair to judge a school just because there are some students out there who graduated who happened to be "useless". I wouldn't be one to judge these island schools because these students ended up the way they did I would judge the student. There are DVM's that I have met doing their internship at the hospital I work at that have graduated from very good vet schools in the U.S. that have been scary to watch. Vet school, like undergrad, is what you make of it. If you want to get a lot out of vet school, you are going to have to put in a lot, or else you are going to graduate dissapointed. From my experiences talking to veterinarians, you should try to get as much experience as you can while you are in vet school OUTSIDE of the classroom/lecture. You will be a better veterinarian because if it!!

I wonder how many vets that have issues with Ross also have issues with other schools in the US?

I know one of the vets I works for doesn't like GA or LA (NCSU grad) while the other doesn't like IL or NC (MI grad.) The first is much more likely to care about your experience and ability....the other would likely factor in where you came from...and more than just the carribean schools wouldn't satisfy her.

I also work as a dog trainer for most of my teen and adult life. Most of the people I work with (pet owners who use vets) don't know nor care where thier vet studied. They care about bedside manner, professionalism, and customer service.

I think the dislike of Illinois for the Michigan grad has to do with that whole sports rivalry thing. We have shirts that say not so nice things about Ann Arbor.

Like a few other people said, it's what you make of it. There are absolutely some unqualified people who get in to the Caribbean schools... but those are the ones who don't end up passing their test to practice in the US. I've met 2 of them... one who is taking the test for I think the 4th or 5th time... and WOW I had no idea it was $6,000!!! Ouch!

That said, I know someone else from the SAME class who passed his test immediately, had an internship at one of the most competitive hospitals in NYC, and is now a respected and pretty well known surgical resident at Penn.

Obviously the admissions criteria is much more lax than that of US schools... that's where the stigma comes from. But you get a mix of students there... some who really shouldn't and probably wont' end up practicing... and those who for whatever reason (partying is a popular one... sickness... family situations... etc...) didn't do as well in undergrad as they were capable of, but are just as qualified as students at the top vet schools.

I totally understand what you're saying about being slightly hesitant to say "Ross" when you talk about what vet school your'e going to... and about it making you less excited... but I think once you get there and are part of the class, you will feel much better about it. I know someone who started at SGU this term and she's so satisfied with life right now... the happiest she's been in a long time.

You'll have to find your own way to come to terms with the stigma... it'll be there... but for the most part, I agree with whoever said the majority of clients don't know the difference between a vet and a vet tech let alone the different vet schools.... I've only ever heard one client ask about our vets educations... and I've been doing this for a while :). All of our doctors are Penn grads (because I work right near the school)... and I know they look at Ross or other Caribbean grads the same way I do... on an individual basis. Because usually you guys are not only just as smart and competent, you're more fun :D

I think the dislike of Illinois for the Michigan grad has to do with that whole sports rivalry thing. We have shirts that say not so nice things about Ann Arbor.

Michigan State is the school in MI with the vet school. They have shirts that say not so nice things about Ann Arbor, too. ;)

Not to scare you, but there is a class here that started out with 110 or 120 and they're now down to about 60 (don't remember the exact numbers).

I'm a student at SGU right now, and I can tell you that the attrition rate at SGU is MUCH MUCH lower. We lost one or two students at the very beginning of the first term, and then 2 transferred 2nd term (but one actually came back). SGU does not matriculate as many students as ROSS does. In fact, my class is considered fairly large and we have about 70ish students.

I can only speak for SGU as I'm more familiar with SGU, but it is not a weeding out school. And what others have said before is absolutely correct. It's the student that weeds themselves out. We have very similar (if not exact to some schools) curriculums as US schools, and we work our butts off just as much as anyone else in vet school.

When I interviewed for SGU, I asked the DVM (who is a graduate of SGU) how much stigma there is to being a foreign graduate. She said that she has come across some people that have been misinformed, but overall she was just as capable as any other student coming from a US School.

As for the tests that we have to take after school - yes we do have to take the ECFVG OR the PAVE. The ECFVG was mentioned above and it is a 3 day test which is 6,000 dollars. There is an alternative to this though, and that is the PAVE. It's significantly cheaper (and not a 3 day test) and as long as the state that you want to work in accepts it, then it's just as good as the ECFVG.

Veganchick, don't let anyone make you feel inferior about attending a Caribbean school. Ross is a fantastic school and as long as you put in the work, you will get a DVM. Be proud of yourself!

Since Ross is the only place I was accepted, I am definitely going there (I don't want to go through another cycle). When people (esp. vets) ask me where I am going, I always say "Ross" with a little hesitation because I am afraid of what they will think in spite of the fact that I have heard that you get a really good education there. It is actually making me less excited about vet school (well, that and the need to find fosters for my 7 furkids for 28 months) than I want to be. I just want to be able to hold my head up high when I say "Ross".
Such a great thread! I know exactly how you feel because I went though the same emotions. You will feel different when you get down here and get into your studies. It's tough -and when you make it through you will be very proud. It won't matter what others might say.

Such a great thread! I know exactly how you feel because I went though the same emotions. You will feel different when you get down here and get into your studies. It's tough -and when you make it through you will be very proud. It won't matter what others might say.

I totally agree with Jeterfan. Once you're here, you'll be too focused on doing well to care about the school's rep. And also, once you're down here, you don't really think about where you go to school, it just feels like you're going to vet school, and you won't feel like you're missing out on anything. Well, I suppose you'll be able to tell when you see the mountains on one side of you and the water on the other side, but... you get the idea! :cool:

No, Ross doesn't accept just anyone. I agree that there are some people here that I personally feel are less competent than others, but I'm not the admissions committee, so I don't make that decision. I will say that there is a bit of a weed-out attitude here, but that really comes from the fact that if you fail one class, you have to repeat the entire semester. If you fail two classes, you're out.

Is that really much different than most other schools though? How do other vet schools handle failures then?

I will admit that the "repeating the entire semester" thing does sound sort of harsh AT FIRST... but when you think about it, you simply haven't completed the prereqs for the next semester yet, so you're not allowed to take any new classes.

Is that really much different than most other schools though? How do other vet schools handle failures then?

I will admit that the "repeating the entire semester" thing does sound sort of harsh AT FIRST... but when you think about it, you simply haven't completed the prereqs for the next semester yet, so you're not allowed to take any new classes.

I'm not sure how other vet schools deal with failure. But, if I'm not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Tufts will allow you to get a D- but I'm not sure how many. I'm also not sure if this applies to other vet schools. Here, we don't have D's, so if you get below a 70%, you fail. I don't know whether that's more or less harsh than other vet schools; all I have to compare it to is my undergrad, which was definitely less harsh, but that's to be expected, I would think.

Anyway, hopefully someone else can shed more light on that subject. :)

I'm not sure how other vet schools deal with failure. But, if I'm not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Tufts will allow you to get a D- but I'm not sure how many. I'm also not sure if this applies to other vet schools. Here, we don't have D's, so if you get below a 70%, you fail. I don't know whether that's more or less harsh than other vet schools; all I have to compare it to is my undergrad, which was definitely less harsh, but that's to be expected, I would think.

Anyway, hopefully someone else can shed more light on that subject. :)
This has changed. Starting with my class you need at least a C in all of your classes to continue on to the next year. If you fail you go before a review board and hash out what your options are generally: retake the class over the summer, repeat the year, or dismissed from the program depending on how many classes you fail.

A&M you can get 2 D's & 1 F for 4 yrs. No other combination allowed.

If you do get an F you continue on, but retake the course without instruction over the next summer.

I totally would have gone to Ross/St. Matthews in a heartbeat, but I love the beach SO much that I would never study! lol

Yeah, I definitely think when it comes down to it, whatever program you're at, you only get out what you put into it. Anyone who works hard at a non-accredited school will get just as good (if not better) an education as any other vet program. I've heard from a few different professors that vet students that transfer over from Ross for the rotations are better prepared and better students than the kids that have been at that school the whole time.

I heard the same thing. I took my dog to a Ross vet and he told me that the vets at his clinical school were so impressed by his knowledge and surgical skills that they flat out offered him a very competitive internship. I'm all for Ross, just not the debt in the end, though OOS in most schools will rack up just as much debt. I say if you are lucky enough to go instate go, but for all us other students not so lucky, we will just have to deal with 200K of debt for a while.