How to Survive Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borderline

*Insert Witty Title*
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, all you wise and knowing graduate students, will you please enlighten the rest of us on how to survive the all important interview day?

How about some Do's and Do Not's?
Is it okay to ask to hang out with the grad students after the interview?
What are some questions that are important for us to ask the interviewers?
How should we dress?
What do you do about rental cars, hotels, and flights?
What are some interview questions we're likely to hear?
Etc.
And any other sagely advice you'd like to offer...

Also, here are some possible interview questions. I'd be interested to see how everyone would answer them. I copied them from hermionephd, who in turn had copied them from TU, because I think they fit better here than in the interview call thread. Here they are:

Personal/Professional
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. How did you become interested in psychology? How did you become interested in (specific interest area)?
3. What would you be doing if you were not in psychology?
4. What are your personal strengths and weaknesses? What have you done to deal with your shortcomings?
5. What are your goals after graduate school? In 5 years? 10 years?
6. What do you have to contribute to us?
7. Why should we accept you over other equally qualified candidates?
8. What do you do in your spare time? To relax?
9. Tell me about your interest in this area (geography)?
10. Why did you choose this career path?

Research
1. What are your research interests? How did you get interested in this topic?
2. Did you do an undergraduate honors thesis? Tell me about it.
3. What is the clinical relevance of your research?

Assessment
1. Tell me about an assessment instrument with which you feel competent.
2. Opinion of projective testing (e.g., Rorschach)
3. Opinion of objective testing (e.g., MMPI-2)
4. What further assessment training or experiences do you want/need?

Therapy
1. What do you think would be your greatest strength as a therapist?
2. What about clinical work do you enjoy most/least?
3. What is your theoretical orientation? What do you think of _____ approach?
4. What are the challenges you expect to face as a therapist?
5. What is your experience with individual/couples/family/group/inpatient/etc. treatment?
6. What are your clinical interest areas?

Diversity
1. With what multicultural or diverse populations have you worked?
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses in working with minorities?
3. What variables/issues are of concern to you in working with specific populations?
4. What reading/didactic experiences influence the way you think about diverse populations?

Recruiting/ Interest & Fit
1. Why are you interested in our program? Why are you applying to this particular program?
2. How do you see our program fitting with your career goals?
3. Why do you think you are a "fit" for our program?
4. Which of your interest areas are (not) addressed by our program?
5. With which faculty member would you most like to work?
6. What are the advantages to you of this program?
7. What worries you about coming to this program?
8. What might you not get at this program that you want?
9. What are your feelings about coming to this state?
10. What do you think of the program now that you've heard more about it?

Other
1. What else would you like me to know about you that isn't apparent from your CV?
2. What is the #1 question you would like me to ask you?

Members don't see this ad.

one question that almost made me choke:

What one question would you like to answer in psychology?

1. Tell me about yourself.
I found it really helpful to put together a little blurb about myself ahead of time so that this question didn't catch me off guard (should be an easy question, right? But when you're nervous it's hard to think about what to say!) I tried to just capture some main points, both related to past schooling and research in psychology as well as a few non-academic things, and focused on things that might make me stand out a little. For example I talked both about how I started studying psychology and when I became interested in the type of research I wanted to do, as well other things like traveling abroad, speaking a foreign language, working with a specific clinical population (and how future research interests developed from this...), etc.

4. What are your personal strengths and weaknesses? What have you done to deal with your shortcomings?
I can't remember exactly what I said, but for the weaknesses I think I tried to think of things I just hadn't been exposed to yet (e.g., giving assessments or doing therapy) and used that as something I wasn't comfortable with but was looking forward to getting training in. That way, it wasn't a debilitating weakness that couldn't be overcome. It seemed to work during the one interview in which I was asked it!

Research
1. What are your research interests? How did you get interested in this topic?
I would just be sure you're fluent in talking about your interests. I got really tongue tied during an impromptu phone interview when trying to describe my interests, simply because I hadn't thought about how to describe it ahead of time!

And any other sagely advice you'd like to offer...
TRY to relax as much as possible (and I know it's hardly possible!) I was SO nervous during my first interview weekend that I could hardly function, but once I had gotten through that one, and realized that I was there because the school wanted me there, and no one was really out to get me, I felt much better and was able to relax a little at later interviews, which helped a ton.

Also remember that you are there to evaluate the school as well. Try to ask any questions you think you might need in order to decide if this is really the program for you, and so you can compare programs. I think there are other threads on what to ask, but try to ask the things that will be most helpful to you, and not only on the questions that will "look good" to the interviewer.

Talk to grad students as much as you can. I found them to really be informative about the programs (as well as the dynamic of the department) and learned more from them than the "overview" that you usually get on interview day.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this question to the 'official invite' thread but here may be more appropriate and get a response aside from a frantic 'what school was this from?' :laugh:

I was contacted for an interview and the email has suggested that visiting interviewees stay at hotels-- it did not mention the possibility of staying with current grad students. Is it uncommon or weird to ask for or seek out arrangements with grad students the night before an interview? If it is common, what's the best way to go about doing this?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

How about some Do's and Do Not's?
Is it okay to ask to hang out with the grad students after the interview?
What are some questions that are important for us to ask the interviewers?
How should we dress?
What do you do about rental cars, hotels, and flights?
What are some interview questions we're likely to hear?
Etc.
It's absolutely ok to hang out with the graduate students. IMHO it would be silly not to. We are a wealth of information about the program from the inside and from a perspective that is entirely different from faculty or anything else. We experience what you are going to.

Dress nice. I tend to think over-dressing is better than under-dressing. for the socials, just look good. Don't wear ratty-tatty rags. Don't wear the sort of thing you'd wear if you were trying to show off your body at the bar.

I was contacted for an interview and the email has suggested that visiting interviewees stay at hotels-- it did not mention the possibility of staying with current grad students. Is it uncommon or weird to ask for or seek out arrangements with grad students the night before an interview? If it is common, what's the best way to go about doing this?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
I can only speak from my experience, but many programs I've heard of, including the one I'm in, have graduate students who offer a bed for the night if they have room. Grads understand the cost associated with interviews. This tends to be done early on and not 'the night before interviews'.

Don't ask me why, but a question that sort of threw me twice -- once when interviewing for grad school, then again when on internship interviews:

"Tell me, what good movies have you seen lately?" :eek:

Both times asked, my mind went blank. And it's not like I see that many movies in my spare time...Still I should have been able to come up with something to say. My advice is think of a good book and a good movie to talk about -- preferably something with psychological themes, yet not a text or reference book.

Live and learn...

My approach is very simple - be yourself, whoever you are, but make sure you are at least somewhat outgoing. Or at the VERY least, not timid and completely intimidated by everything. If you won't talk, you won't get accepted;)

Remember, its a lot like writing a paper. There is no "right" answer. Any answer can always be better, and it can always be worse, so don't spend time panicking about whether what you said was "perfect". Its advice I need to follow myself since I'm doing the same stupid thing right now and its slowing down my thesis writing.

Some of it depends on the school. Here if you talk about how projective testing is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you probably just killed any chance you had. I imagine at Wright or a psychodynamically-inclined program, you'd kill your app if you spent the whole interview talking about how much you hate projectives.

Finally - remember you aren't expected to know everything already. Know your POIs work, have some ideas about what you want to focus on. You want to seem knowledgeable and intelligent, sure. However I think its more important to seem motivated and willing to learn. Motivation can lead to knowledge. Knowledge without motivation is wasteful. Keep your priorities straight.

I'm traveling with a suit (of course), and I'm wondering about the best way to carry it.

My original plan was to have a carry on bag and a garment bag, both of which I would carry on the plane. However, it looks like I won't be able to carry them both on. Now I'm wondering - do I check the garment bag (will my dry clean only stuff get all messed up or, God forbid, LOST?) or do I put my suit in my carry on bag (where it will definitely get very wrinkled, but at least it won't get lost)? Right now I'm leaning toward checking the garment bag and HOPING it doesn't get lost, because I can always pack an "emergency outfit" (business casual - nice pants, cardigan, etc.) in my carry on.

I'm traveling with a suit (of course), and I'm wondering about the best way to carry it.

My original plan was to have a carry on bag and a garment bag, both of which I would carry on the plane. However, it looks like I won't be able to carry them both on. Now I'm wondering - do I check the garment bag (will my dry clean only stuff get all messed up or, God forbid, LOST?) or do I put my suit in my carry on bag (where it will definitely get very wrinkled, but at least it won't get lost)? Right now I'm leaning toward checking the garment bag and HOPING it doesn't get lost, because I can always pack an "emergency outfit" (business casual - nice pants, cardigan, etc.) in my carry on.

I'd check my bag and carry your suit with you (they can hang it once you board). That way if everything gets lost, you have your suit. If I'm checking luggage, I always bring a backpack or a big purse(as a "personal item) with a change of clothes in it. After having my luggage delayed 1 whole day when i went to Hawaii I will never run that risk again (trust me, 100 degrees at the beach with no bathing suit is just as awful as interview with no suit. LOL)

I'd check my bag and carry your suit with you (they can hang it once you board). That way if everything gets lost, you have your suit. If I'm checking luggage, I always bring a backpack or a big purse(as a "personal item) with a change of clothes in it. After having my luggage delayed 1 whole day when i went to Hawaii I will never run that risk again (trust me, 100 degrees at the beach with no bathing suit is just as awful as interview with no suit. LOL)

Hmm... I will think about this.

The applicants I tend to like and recommend are those who were friendly, social, and genuine. At that point, I really don't care about your creds, GPA, or how high your GRE score was. Really. I want to like being around you for x number of years. As a current student, I love answering questions, but it's best if they come from a 'curious mind' as opposed to feeling as if I'm being interrogated by the applicant. Even if it's your 10th interview..a 'been there asked that' attitude can be off-putting. If you're not genuinely interested in the program, either feign some enthusiasm OR please don't go. It will be obvious and it's a waste of everyone's time.

In my program we have a lot of say in the selection process. If the consensus for an applicant was "please no", it is quite likely they will not get an offer, no matter how much the advisor likes them. (again, this is only my program) Examples of the "please no" pile tended to be for reasons like; they were too arrogant, rude, shy to the point of seeming disinterested, abrasive to their fellow applicants, etc. Normal nervousness is totally no big deal!

By the time you are all at interviews, your stats matter much less. It's about goodness of fit. Keep your heads smart & humble, be curious, ask questions, and try to show them the flexible, teachable, fun side of your personality :)

Maybe I'm just paranoid but when I travelled for interviews last year I didn't check any luggage. I took a little rolling suitcase (like the ones flight attendants use) and carefully packed my suit and shirt on the very top and hung them up as soon as I got to my destination. I did not have any issues with wrinkles and the students that I stayed with always offered me the option of borrowing their iron (and I guess if you're staying in a hotel you'll have access to a iron as well). I plan on doing the same thing again. I figure interviews are stressful enough- why add to your anxiety level worrying about lost baggage!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez! If you don't mind me asking what did you say to that?

To be honest I can't remember but I do know it was not a good one (at least I didn't think so). If i remeber correctly he also followed up by asking how I'd go about answering it but I could be wrong.... it's all a blur to me now!!! LOL

Good Thread! I don' t think has been said already, but if it has, just ignore me. :cool:

Come prepared with LOTS of questions. Throughout the interview day, you constantly will be asked to ask any questions--from the graduate students to the professors. Be prepared to ask questions about the profs work, the program, etc. Coming up with a list in advance is quite handy. Also, if you start running out of questions, you can re-ask some questions to get a different perspective.

Last edited:
So... I bought a garment bag/suitcase hybrid and now all is dandy in the world of interviews. :)

So... I bought a garment bag/suitcase hybrid and now all is dandy in the world of interviews. :)

There you go, now that solves the problem. Just make sure not to check it (can never be too careful). You might also wanna think about getting those cute travel size toiletries if you're not checking your luggage. Oh the things we need to worry about when going to interviews.... LOL

I just thought I would give some feedback on how my phone interview went. It was generally me telling my POI about my interests and hearing more about her interests as well. I was prepared with questions to ask about the program, research, students, etc. The only thing that kind of caught me offguard was at the end, she read me some scenarios and asked what I would do as a clinician. I was so nervous, but I think I did ok. The school is a great match for me so hopefully it works out!! I will know hopefully by the end of next week if I will make it to the next set of interviews. :D

Name one of the core faculty you don't want to work with and why.

What you would do as a clinician? Yikes!

FromTheHip: That's a scary one! You don't really want to offend anyone, either!

Name one of the core faculty you don't want to work with and why.

Wow, that's rough!

I can only think of one potentially good answer to that question: "Even though Prof X's research focus in [whatever] is interesting, it doesn't really match up with what I'd like to work on."

Wow, that's rough!

I can only think of one potentially good answer to that question: "Even though Prof X's research focus in [whatever] is interesting, it doesn't really match up with what I'd like to work on."

That's exactly what I was thinking I would say.

hey guys, question about interview weekend. One school sent me a list with questions so they can plan things better. In this list they ask questions like: would you prefer a smoking or non-smoking house? are you a vegetarian/vegan? Allergies?, etc.

Well, I don't smoke so I'd obviously rather stay at a non-smoking house but I don't want to seem too picky. I mean, even if my host smokes like a chimney I'd still rather live thru a weekend of that than have people dislike me. Also, I'm vegan. I'm not a die hard vegan and I've had to make exceptions sometimes when staying at other people's homes. Should I even mention it?

hey guys, question about interview weekend. One school sent me a list with questions so they can plan things better. In this list they ask questions like: would you prefer a smoking or non-smoking house? are you a vegetarian/vegan? Allergies?, etc.

Well, I don't smoke so I'd obviously rather stay at a non-smoking house but I don't want to seem too picky. I mean, even if my host smokes like a chimney I'd still rather live thru a weekend of that than have people dislike me. Also, I'm vegan. I'm not a die hard vegan and I've had to make exceptions sometimes when staying at other people's homes. Should I even mention it?

I think that you should be honest with them - It sounds like these are simply questions so they can accommodate you IF possible - if not, I'm sure you're not going to offend anyone. I don't really think that you can give them a wrong answer here.

first of all, i agree with previous poster - it sounds like they are just trying to get your prefs. I think you should tell them the truth to avoid awkwardness that day.

second, a question for all (i'm surprised they even asked about this). i am actually one of the last of that species called "smoker" left in the US, and I've been concerned about the longer interview days, as it's not something i really feel proud of doing during the breaks.

anyone have any honest advice on whether taking a cigarette break during a long interview day will hurt my chances of getting accepted? thanks. regardless of my own personal feelings about the terrible habit, i'm addicted.

second, a question for all (i'm surprised they even asked about this). i am actually one of the last of that species called "smoker" left in the US, and I've been concerned about the longer interview days, as it's not something i really feel proud of doing during the breaks.

anyone have any honest advice on whether taking a cigarette break during a long interview day will hurt my chances of getting accepted? thanks. regardless of my own personal feelings about the terrible habit, i'm addicted.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but you could always wear a nicotine patch that day instead of having to go out for smoke breaks.

hey guys, question about interview weekend. One school sent me a list with questions so they can plan things better. Should I even mention it?

Yes, please be honest. I had an applicant stay at my house a few years back who was quite apparently afraid of my dog (then puppy). She never once petted it, and would pull away every time my puppy came near - I could totally tell she was just barely tolerating. Needless to say, it was SO awkward! Plus I sort of resented the applicant for not being honest when she was asked her preferences in regard to host house scenario. My puppy was so confused!

Thanks everyone! I guess your right, if they're asking it's because they want to make it as pleasant as possble for everyone!

first of all, i agree with previous poster - it sounds like they are just trying to get your prefs. I think you should tell them the truth to avoid awkwardness that day.

In all honesty, if you can go without it I would. I was a smoker previously and there is a stigma that comes along with it (if not, we wouldn't even wonder if it was okay or not in the first place). I don't smoke anymore, but if I did, I would try not to on the day of the interview. You never know how others will view it, so play it safe. I'm sure they would not "reject" you because of it... but it may be better if you didn't. Good luck!:)

I think that's great advice about the smoking :) My only concerns are something only you could individually answer with regards to how your body acts while in the middle of a craving and how big a smoker you are. If you're really jittery and anxious, then I would say bring your cigarettes. It is better to take a cigarette break then to appear at less than your best interpersonally. Many people are smokers, and while others may not like it, I don't think it will reflect poorly on you as a person.

Hey all - one thing that I *think* most people know but thought it was worth mentioning...

You are likely to encounter current grad students during your interview day(s). PLEASE keep in mind these students are often consulted for their impressions of you and the other applicants. Sometimes these perspectives carry a LOT of weight and an otherwise good interviewee can be ruined by being rude or inappropriate etc to current grad students.

I only mention this because 1 - I have heard stories about interviewees who behave poorly around current students (away from the eyes of faculty usually) who otherwise would have gotten into the program (case in point if there is a social event scheduled for just current students and applicants or you are staying with a current student, do NOT get wasted! Seems obvious but students at a program I interviewed at had one heck of a story about an applicant the previous year). Also, with a nod to a fellow interviewee from last year, do NOT openly bash the program, the degree, the department, or the professor/interviewer of the school you are interviewing at!!! (ie: Applicant Joe is interviewing at School X. After finishing his first one-on-one interview with Prof A at School X and waiting for his second one-on-one interview at School X, Genius Joe decides to openly bash Prof A as well as School X in front of current students at School X.) I had the pleasure of seeing this person at 3 separate schools (must have been great on paper...) and this behavior was very consistent (ie: inappropriate) at all schools. Somehow this interviewee was surprised about the numerous rejections they received...I was not so shocked :p

Does anyone have any good advice for questions to ask the graduate students/faculty?

Aside of specific questions regarding their research, what are some great things to ask??

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of questions about the program, the clinical training, externship sites, cost of living in the area, life with the stipend, etc. To the students I would also ask all that plus their relationship with faculty, their impressions from the program, etc. Of course, you need to ask about the students' research (with genuine intest).

Just my view. Any other suggestions?

Woot. My first interview in Philley may be cancelled (moved) due to the weather. I think if they have to cancel on me, they should just let me in without the interview.

I'm flying out tonight though, regardless.

Hello All-
For those of you who went on interviews last year and are applying again this year, what are you going to do differently? In addition to the whole 6 spots for 40 interviewees thing, is there anything you can point to that can account for you not being accepted (e.g. nerves, preparedness)?

You are likely to encounter current grad students during your interview day(s). PLEASE keep in mind these students are often consulted for their impressions of you and the other applicants. Sometimes these perspectives carry a LOT of weight and an otherwise good interviewee can be ruined by being rude or inappropriate etc to current grad students.

Oh man, that's the truth. In my program we are solicited for our feedback and deliver it directly to the DCT and/or POI. People try not to be too judgmental, but weirdness gets quickly reported. Definitely be yourselves, but also be on decent behavior. Have a drink or two (I did), be social, but agreed - overt drunkenness also gets reported.

ollie and olivia - thanks! that's great advice. i think i'll be fine, despite the long day. it's definitely not something that is worth ruining my chances over. thanks once again :D greatly appreciated

hi!
I have an interview coming up this Monday and just received an email about a social event with the grad students on Sunday night. Since I didn't know about this until now, I had planned to arrive on Monday a few hours before my afternoon interview, meaning I will not be able to attend the social event. However, I am driving to the interview, so I could arrive on Sunday, but that would mean paying for a hotel room (since I already told them I did not need to stay over with a student).

Because I've heard several times on this forum that the grad students' opinions can matter significantly, I wanted to get some advice---- is the social event important enough to change my plans?

I really really wish they'd told me sooner, because I would have definitely planned around it!

Thank you!!!

Hey, I'm starting to obtain articles that my POI has written and apparently she helped to write a chapter in a textbook. Do you think I need to obtain a copy of that as well, or should I stick more to research articles?

Thanks!

I don't think you need to read everything they wrote. Choose a couple of the most relevant articles for your interests, or maybe something related to what they are currently working on. If the book chapter is extremely relevant then go to the library and get it. But don't about being able to discuss all of their research.

hi!
I have an interview coming up this Monday and just received an email about a social event with the grad students on Sunday night. Since I didn't know about this until now, I had planned to arrive on Monday a few hours before my afternoon interview, meaning I will not be able to attend the social event. However, I am driving to the interview, so I could arrive on Sunday, but that would mean paying for a hotel room (since I already told them I did not need to stay over with a student).

Because I've heard several times on this forum that the grad students' opinions can matter significantly, I wanted to get some advice---- is the social event important enough to change my plans?

I really really wish they'd told me sooner, because I would have definitely planned around it!

Thank you!!!

My advice would be to go the social event if it's at all possible. In addition to the grad students sometimes having input, going to this will give you valuable insight into the school's program before interview day. I'd go for it.:thumbup:

Be familiar with your POI's research. "I don't really know anything about it," is not an appropriate answer. ;)

This may be a silly question, but:

Are you allowed to have a list of questions to ask them for your own reference, or does that look bad?

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a silly question, but:

Are you allowed to have a list of questions to ask them for your own reference, or does that look bad?

I would say try to remember as many as possible - you can also see how the flow of the conversation goes and ask questions about specific things the interviewer says. That said, I took a notepad with me to make notes if necessary, and I'm sure you could have a few questions jotted down to glance at so that you don't forget them. It's important to get your questions answered, after all.

Hey all,

So I'm going on my first interview in about two weeks (Friday the 13th...awesome huh?). Hopefully it will not be my only invite but at the moment it is - which can put more pressure on the day when it comes along.

Honestly, I am going to read a bit about the faculty and some of what they've written, where they're from, etc. But I want to kind of go into this relaxed and I'm the type that the more I practice/think about something it just doesnt work for me. I'm also going into it as though I'm interviewing this school/city as a whole too...I wnat to know more about it and decide if its for me, just like they're deciding if I'm for their program. Hopefully that will lead to things coming naturally.

Here's my question: I'm legally blind. Will grad students know this or are they not aware of the background of the students interviewing? I'm also hoping all faculty will remember as well. I don't have a dog, or a white cane, and if you walked by me on the street you probably would not realize I was blind. But I can't recognize people/make eye contact (I have no central vision just some peripheral, so ibecause of having a bit of peripheral it will often appear to others that I am looking away, when in fact it helps me look at them more clearly). In order to not come across as rude, disinterested, or shy do I need to open conversations with people letting them each know? Or are there often introductions done in front of everyone when you first start off the various interview weekend events?

Thanks,
Jon

Hello everyone,

I am interested in the interview part of the application process (PhD Counseling Psychology), and in your personal experience in particular. Please, forgive me if I am asking something everyone knows answers already...

Here are my questions:

In case the program offers applicants 4 possible days to chose for an interview, which consequent day do you think it is the best to have an interview? The interviews will be held on the following dates: February 12, 13 (Thursday and Friday), 19, and 20 (Thursday and Friday). My thoughts: although I have been thinking that last impression may last longer and turn out to be the most influential (memory trick), often people go back to their very first picks and choices....

How many applicants are usually invited for an interview, and how many are accepted/rejected afterwards?

What usually happens during an interview? What are typical procedures? What is the best way to get prepared? What does faculty usually test during an interview? etc.

I would really appreciate your answers!

minichka2004
PS I have just received an invitation for an interview at a Counseling Psychology PhD program which is APA accredited and which accepts 6-8 people out of 60-70 applicants pool.

PPS I have already found some answers on this forum, but would appreciate any of your comments

Hey all,

So I'm going on my first interview in about two weeks (Friday the 13th...awesome huh?). Hopefully it will not be my only invite but at the moment it is - which can put more pressure on the day when it comes along.

Honestly, I am going to read a bit about the faculty and some of what they've written, where they're from, etc. But I want to kind of go into this relaxed and I'm the type that the more I practice/think about something it just doesnt work for me. I'm also going into it as though I'm interviewing this school/city as a whole too...I wnat to know more about it and decide if its for me, just like they're deciding if I'm for their program. Hopefully that will lead to things coming naturally.

Here's my question: I'm legally blind. Will grad students know this or are they not aware of the background of the students interviewing? I'm also hoping all faculty will remember as well. I don't have a dog, or a white cane, and if you walked by me on the street you probably would not realize I was blind. But I can't recognize people/make eye contact (I have no central vision just some peripheral, so ibecause of having a bit of peripheral it will often appear to others that I am looking away, when in fact it helps me look at them more clearly). In order to not come across as rude, disinterested, or shy do I need to open conversations with people letting them each know? Or are there often introductions done in front of everyone when you first start off the various interview weekend events?

Thanks,
Jon

Hey Jon,

I've only been on one interview so far, and we didn't do a general introduction. In my opinion, if you don't want to seem disinterested, you might want to casually mention your situation. After all, you want to feel comfortable at this school, and if you don't feel that way while talking about your situation at their interview, then maybe the atmosphere isn't for you? If the place feels right, it won't feel awkward to talk about. Really it's your call, and you're info, so you don't have to tell them if you don't want to. I would assume though they will prepare for your circumstances and will be aware. Hope this helps! Good luck on your interview!!

I, too, am wondering how your chances of admission change after you get invited to the interview. How many applicants do programs usually invite to interview?