MSU vs WAYNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi-
just wondering if anyone had any opinions on Michigan State CHM vs Wayne. Although I really liked MSU, Wayne seemed alright too, and they do have contracts with so many of the detroit hospitals. Match lists seemed to be fairly similar, although Wayne had a few more impressive matches (they also have double the students though...) The things I liked about MSU included the atmosphere, the facilities, and the safe campus. I liked that Wayne has the detroit hospitals, and the larger class size, although it could be a disadvantage, may leave more room for finding your niche among students. Any advice on comparing the two would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that Wayne St has awesome clinical training...the best in Michigan, in fact. MSU is definitely a different (maybe even nicer) atmosphere since it is tucked into a LARGE university. Both are very community oriented, both are good schools, but ask yourself this: Do I want grittier "inner city" clincal exposure...you'll see a lot of that kind of stuff at Detroit Recieving or a more suburban experience (look where MSUers do their clinicals). Keep in mind this is my opinion from what I have heard/seen. And when you've answered that (I am assuming you've been accepted)...PICK ONE so the rest of us hanging out on their waitlists have shot =) For real, tho good luck.

MSU has better sports

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to both schools, and I came to the conclusion that there was no way that I would ever go to Wayne State. There was almost nothing about that school that I liked. CHM, on the other hand, was great. I believe that there are a lot of positive aspects to MSU. I don't know if you got a chance to visit Sparrow hospital, but that place is very nice.

I would choose MSU in a heartbeat over Wayne State.

I might be a lil biased being that I've spent the last 6 yrs at MSU (I bleed green and white!!!! GO STATE!!), but I've had experience with both medical schls, CHM for past 5.5yrs, working in the med schl as an undergrad and now grad student, and Wayne by volunteering at Karmanos Cancer Hospital at the DMC. In terms of academic work, environment, atmosphere and teh like, I say CHM all the way, it is a great schl, even though they didnt show me any love, I stand heavily by my words, they take great care of their students, and do everything possible, even to point of extending your program to make sure you are succeeding and passing. Add the student resources in the Radiology building, new facilities, excellent staff
UCLA tech, Sparrow is pretty good, I volunteered there a while back, but it is nothing compared to the DMC hospitals, u have the VA hospital, Hutzel, Harper, Karmanos, Children... I can go on and on, Wayne is great for clinical training, you will get as much as u want in regards to clinical exposure plus it sets u up for great residency positions right there in DMC even. Especially if ur trying to go for the harder specialty, very easy to network from day 1, unlike CHM. Plus they have like 3 of the big hospitals connected by the tunnel, its exceptional, also Wayne is good cause of research and CHM isnt focused on research.

Also remember MSU has the osteopathic schl as well (COM) and their 1st and 2nd yr students take classes with CHM students, so its the same amount as Wayne State in terms of class size!!

SO basically it boils down to this, are u more or less trying to get the most out of med schl academically or are u trying to get as much clinical experience as possible. I thought my own darn schl would at least give me an interview, and that I would have a hard time deciding, but they messed me up, now it seemed like Wayne state is the only one that seems willing to hear me out :(

I would hate to be in your position, tuff decision,basically boils down to what you want. Feel free to pm if you have specific questions, especially for CHM, I should be able to answer it. :)

You guys are forgetting that MSU allopathic students do their 3rd and 4th year studies OFF campus... some at sparrow in lansing, but many in Flint (inner city), grand rapids, blah blah. So you can't just compare "wayne=inner city and msu=suburban" 'cuz it's not like that.

Where did you guys get match lists on wayne state??????? please post or tell me exactly where you got them!

It's kinda weird... overall in the country, MSU is better known... but, in-state, i think wayne is better known (again, 'cuz of detroit medical center)... so.. hard decision.

HI!
I was also accepted to both Wayne and MSU CHM and had to make the very same decision. I was having trouble with this decision for quite some time, but I decided on MSU. I felt that the atmosphere and environment of MSU was friendly and I felt that the faculty truly care about the students. I have found this to be true.

As for clinical experiences, it is true that MSU is not part of a major hospital, but if you want clinical experiences during the pre-clinical yrs, various MD's are always willing to let you shadow them. The opportunities are there.

As for clinical experiences during 3rd/4th yrs, the clinical rotations are at various satellite campuses. Grand Rapids is one of them. GR has a Level 1 trauma center at Spectrum Health and a level 2 trauma center at St. Mary's.
Flint also has a good trauma center. You will see good cases.

I would pick MSU again in a heartbeat. I made the right decision, and I hope you do also, make the decision that is right for you.
Your heart will tell you where to go

Let me know if you have questions about CHM

Mossjoh
[email protected]

thanks for all this discussion, the more the better. really, the only thing that I liked about Wayne is the city and the hospitals. I liked everything about MSUCHM except that one could end up in places other than Grand Rapids and Flint. Is the amazing clinical experience at Wayne enough to choose the school? Sheesh, I thought this was going to be an easier decision. Did anyone sit in on any classes at either place? Impressions? Is MSUCHM very clique-y (I've heard complaints about Wayne in that arena). Thanks again everyone.

Originally posted by kreno
You guys are forgetting that MSU allopathic students do their 3rd and 4th year studies OFF campus... some at sparrow in lansing, but many in Flint (inner city), grand rapids, blah blah. So you can't just compare "wayne=inner city and msu=suburban" 'cuz it's not like that.

Where did you guys get match lists on wayne state??????? please post or tell me exactly where you got them!

It's kinda weird... overall in the country, MSU is better known... but, in-state, i think wayne is better known (again, 'cuz of detroit medical center)... so.. hard decision.

I dont know...even though MSU students do 3rd and 4th yrs away at places like Flint and Grand Rapids, I dont really think that the experience would be equal to the experience in Detroit. Not saying better or worse but I have lived in all the aforementioned cities and I would call Flint and GR a suburb compared to Detroit.
I guess if I has to chose between the two (which hopefully in the coming months will actually happen) it would be tough. I really liked Wayne but I felt more comfortable at State...that' my personal unprofessional opinion for you to do with what you will =)

Do you have at least some idea of what you want to go into? Primary care is MSU's bag...and I'm certain you know that. Personally, I would go with Wayne because my interests lie in hospital based specialties (pathology, emergency med., and anesthesiology). Certainly students from MSU go on to these specialties...but the med school itself specializes in training primary care physicians.
That being said, Michigan State is a great school and Lansing an awesome area to live in. If I were married or whatever...I would definitely be much more prone to go there. However, since I'm single and pretty career focused, I'll choose the school that will best prepare me for the form of medicine I think I will enjoy most.

WAYNE!

Wayne offers a world class education,... as a Wayne grad, you will become an EXCELLENT physician. The clinical training at Wayne is amazing,.. you'll get exposure and experience with advanced diseases and a MUCH more diverse patient population. And when its time for residency, Wayne grads are WELL prepared. I spoke to one doctor who had worked with residents from U of Mich, Wayne, and MSU,... and of those, he felt the Wayne med students were by far the most well-trained clinically,... and many residency programs in michigan know this.

As for the earlier statement that MSU is better known,... that is not true in terms of Med schools. Wayne has a strong reputation for their medical programs, top ranking departments nationally, cancer research, and cutting edge facilities. Also, at my other med interviews (in upstate NY, manhattan, phila,..), the interviewers knew of Wayne and its reputation as a great medical center.

If you're interested in primary care, I would recommend MSU's Osteopathic school. They have an AWESOME osteopathic program, but I don't know much about their strength in terms of allopathic.

I'd just like to correct the statement earlier in the thread that CHM students take classes first and second year with COM (osteopathic) students. We have the same lectures and labs first year, but by second year the curriculums are seperate.

The Problem Based Learning curriculm for second year CHM students is in my opinion one of the medical school's greatest strengths. I am not sure if they do PBL at Wayne, or how much of it they do, but whether or not you see yourself enjoying/excelling in a PBL learning environment might be something to consider when making your decision. We also have lectures second year, in addition to PBL, but PBL really is the center of things.

I, like Mossjoh, would pick CHM again in a heartbeat. But of course it is a very personal decision so good luck with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with alot of the responses. The people are alot friendlier at MSU. You get a completely different crowd at Wayne State. Plus imagine the convenience of studying at MSU vs Wayne. Do you really want to be in Detroit after dark?? I would say MSU all the way. The school is great, the professors are friendly and excellet, the campus is cleaner adn safer, etc. Good luck.

I'm reviving this thread 'cause I've gotta decide soon between the two and am really torn...

I might be doing the UP program at MSU - which I think would might make MSU's clinical experience better...but Wayne has a lot of advantages too...

Does anyone have any new thoughts on this?

I too have debated between CHM and Wayne. I certainly like the atmosphere at CHM better, and the fact it seems they have spent a lot of effort giving me information about the school. Compared to Wayne where I'm lucky if I get a single sheet of paper in the mail. However, I know that if I choose to stay in Michigan for residency, I want to do it in the metro-Detroit area. I know Wayne will give me better options in terms of that, partially because I can network and learn about the departments before I apply. That, and the thought of being in one of CHM's 5 outposts around the state isn't especially appealing to me.

Also, I have had multiple physicians tell me that I should definitely go to Wayne over CHM. Including one gen. surgeon who was a CHM graduate, according to him Wayne was the best medical education available in the state. But, those were just their opinions.

Another thing to add to the debate now is the fact that CHM is considering moving to Grand Rapids. If I were to go to MSU, I would want to get the Big 10 East Lansing experience.

i have nothing but good things to say about chm and if you chose that school you would not be doing yourself a disservice by not picking wayne.

chm has an awesome environment, student-body, and administration. fun place to be since it is a D1 schools with lots of good sports.

clinicals are cool if you like having choices...some people may be turned off by the fact that you have to move to satelite locations...but theres something for everyone.

if you want rural you got it.
if you want inner city you got it with flint
if you want to practice in a nice area you have that as well.

obviously the primary care emphasis is there but the students there tell me they encourage their students to do research and if you have an interest in non primary care field it shouldnt matter too much as long as you do well. they have an excellent support system there amongst the students so thats great.

i dont think msu will move anytime too soon. so i dont think you will miss out on your big 10 experience your first 2 years at chm.

if you startin fall 2004, we'll still get to spend our 1st 2yrs in East Lansing. CHM is a great schl, add Van Andel's money and it will be a wonderful healthcare institution/collaboration!
You can see they are really tryin to go into research big time, and this move will create many new depts and positions!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114441

It really depends on what you want to do. For me, I dropped my CHM application the second I got accepted at Wayne because I loved the research-oriented environment. I have heard wonderful things about the student body at Wayne, as well as the enthusiasm of the professors. Overall, I was really impressed with WSU. The only part bad part is its location in the A$$-Crack of Detroit, but rationally, I think we all know that you're not going to get shot or anything.... unless you stray from the major roads.

Anyways, CHM is really geared towards primary care, WSU is very focused on academic and specialized medicine. You can do well in any field of medicine graduating from both schools, though. If you want to specialize in SE Michigan, I would say WSU without a doubt. If you want primary care ANYWHERE, than go to CHM.

As for MSU sports, I think its clear that the only team worth mentioning in Michigan sports is U of M... :laugh:

I?m in the same situation right now. I?ve been accepted to Wayne, MSU, and Finch. Finch is pretty much out of the question because it is expensive and seemed to be not that great of a school. So I have been struggling between the other two. So far these are some of the arguments I have come up with:

WAYNE ? Not that is really matters, but Wayne is ranked at 65 for research schools by US News. It has a much more active research community therefore it is better known in the academic circle than MSU. Also, as everyone has noted, Wayne seems to have better clinical training than MSU, since you would be working at Detroit area hospitals which see a large and diverse patient volume. Also, when looking at the match lists for both schools, Wayne has a lot more students going into competitive residencies such as surgery, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, dermatology, neurology etc. The student body at Wayne is generally a lot younger as well. Not that I have anything against older students, but I think I would fit in more at a school with younger people that aren?t married or have families yet.

MSU ? I think the administration at MSU was definitely a lot more friendly and informative than Wayne. Interview day was much better planned and they seemed like they were more on top of preparing you for the logistical side of attending medical school. Also, the classes are all pass/fail (just like Wayne I think) but the students aren?t ranked against each other, which makes the environment less competitive (but maybe prepares you less for the USMLE?? I don?t know) I?m totally not a fan of the community outposts or having to move around a lot in my second and third years. But MSU does have the name recognition of a big school. I live in Chicago now, and everyone knows MSU but no one knows Wayne (which is really annoying). Even my dad (who grew up in Michigan) had never heard of Wayne. Another thing is that MSU seems much more selective than Wayne. Its acceptance rate is much lower, which seems to imply they are pickier.

I know deep down in my heart that it doesn?t really matter which school I attend, they are both great schools with great people, but I can?t stop torturing myself over this decision. Right now I am leaning toward Wayne (because of location and clinical exposure mostly) but I seem to flop every other week. So what does everyone think?

The general public does not, for the most part, know about Wayne. Doctors, however, do. If you are looking to practice in Michigan, or anywhere in the midwest for that matter, an MD from Wayne State will be looked upon favorably.

I agree that the interview setup at Wayne left something to be desired, but who cares? I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of: clinical training, academics, research, professors, and students. MSU is a great school too, but in different ways.

Frankly, I'm surprised so many people are having a hard time choosing between the two schools; they appear to me to be about as opposite as two same-state allopathic schools can be...

To reiterate my thought process: I feel at this point that I want to specialize, so there was no question. Wayne. If I had wanted to go into primary care, there would have been no question. MSU.

Feel free to PM...

MSU is settin up a great medical center collaboration in Grand Rapids which will be similar to Wayne and DMC