The 2013 Textbook Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have a good idea of the most recommended textbooks for first year classes. I know, I know, many people don't like textbooks, everyone learns differently, and a lot of people will say textbooks are "a waste of money". Well, I happen to learn well from textbooks (as I'm sure lots of other SDNers do) and would rather have an idea of which work for most people and why, so I can make educated purchases instead of just getting the "recommended" ones from school. So, if you kind allo students could please write:

- name

- subject

- impressions

- why did it work? Why didn't it work?

Thanks so much!!! Also, if any pre-meds have heard stuff from their med student friends, write it in here too!

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology - Arthur Guyton

General Physio

Why? He wrote this (the best selling physio book) while teaching at UMC. He realized the students were learning more from his notes than the awful textbooks of the time.. so his notes became the textbook. It grew and grew into the Physiology "bible" of today. Obviously, this is a MUST have for UMC students, but it's well known and a good buy for all first years.

Ok, so Vandy has this list of textbooks that the previous class used and how many of them found each useful, so I figured I'd post it here. Med students, please comment on what you agree/disagree with. I assume for subjects like biochem where no one really found textbooks useful that it's a Vandy thing and that their slides cover pretty much everything....anyways, comments are appreciated.

Which textbooks did 2011 find the most useful?

Voet, Voet, & Pratt (Biochem) 6.8%

Lippincott’s (Biochem) 8.5%

Genetics 3.4%

ECA/COA (I think this is Essential Clinical Anatomy/ Clinically Oriented Anatomy) 50.8%

Rohen’s Color Atlas 45.8%

Netter 84.7%

Clemente 64.4%

Grant’s Atlas 32.2%

Weir & Abram’s Imaging Atlas 49.2%

Grant’s Dissector 55.9%

Netter Embryology 8.5%

Langman’s Embryology 16.9%

Guyton 45.8%

BRS Physiology 67.8%

Junqueira & Carneiro (Histo) 15.3%

Wheater’s (Histo) 40.7%

Ross & Pawlina (Histo) 22.0%

Mechanisms of Microbial Disease 5.1%

Micro Made Ridiculously Simple 38.9%

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who like reading textbooks, I would recommend Guyton's medical physio. For the rest of us, Costanzo is cheap, to the point, and boards-directed. She also wrote the BRS book. I have both.

Moore seems to be the consensus best for anatomy. I didn't even buy an atlas, but most would probably say buy and atlas and forget about the text. Rohens is good, netters is fine (but way overrated).

For biochemistry, lipincott is good. No one biochem textbook is going to have all the info. I didn't like Harper. My ugrad text was my reference, so don't throw it away.

BRS is sufficient for embryology. I haven't found an embryology text I like.

Wheaters is good for histo, but not sufficient by itself.

lol that list says 65% clemente... don't buy clemente unless you absolutely HAVE to. Reading clemente is inefficient and boring, IMO.

Solid thread LET!

Thanks to those who have contributed already, and keep it coming. :thumbup:

Guyton and Hall is definitely a solid textbook. However, I think you'll find that reading textbooks is a pretty extreme waste of time for most classes. Textbooks tend to include far more information than you're responsible for, and you don't have time to be learning extraneous details. I know many people in my class were "textbook learners" before med school, and I currently know a grand total of zero people who regularly study from textbooks. They're references for concepts you need a bit of fleshing out on but nothing more. I stronglyadvise not buying textbooks, but if you really feel like you have to have them, at least buy them used. You'll be really pissed you wasted your money if you don't. I can't emphasize this point enough.

Okay, with that little disclaimer-ish junk out of the way, here are the texts we were "required" to buy:

Intro to Clinical Medicine:

Textbook of Physical Diagnosis - Swartz: Useless. You'll never touch it.

Phys:
Medical Phys - Guyton and Hall: I hear it's a good book for reference, but it's too detailed and has too much information. Costanzo's book is far better, and her Board Review Series (BRS) book is better still.

Respiratory Phys - West: Nobody I know even owns this. Don't bother.

Musculoskeletal Medicine - Bernstein: Ditto.

Microanatomy:
Langman's Medical Embryology - Sadler: This is quite literally the only textbook I actually own. Sometimes it is phenomenally useful (for cardio) and sometimes it mercilessly drowns you in useless minutiae (for GI). It's cheap, so I recommend it.

Rapid Review Histo and Cell Bio - Burns and Cave: Solid gold. It's very, very useful for both cell bio and micro, but it's a little light on the pictures. Hopefully you'll have lecture slides to supplement it.

Color Texbook of Histology - Gartner and Hiatt: I hear it's not so good. Burns and Cave has everything you need anyway.

Cell Bio:
The Cell - Cooper: Fairly worthless, but it's a decent reference. Again, Burns and Cave has you covered, but this one wouldn't be so terrible to own if you just MUST have it for whatever reason.

Biochem:
Textbook of Biochem with Clinical Correlations - Devlin: Dear God, do not throw away your loan money on this useless piece of crap. It's incomprehensible and hopelessly detailed. Buy Lippincott's, and forget everything else exists.

Gross:
Clinically Oriented Anatomy - Moore: Pretty useful, actually. It has a ton of detail, but the clinical correlations are quite nice. It's not a necessary purchase, but I'd suggest getting it just for completeness.

Grant's Atlas of Anatomy - Tank: I don't like it at all. Netter's is far better, in my opinion. Still, it's an atlas, and it will work.

Grant's Dissector - Tank: Amazing. The dissector is absolutely indispensible. It'll hammer home relationships like nothing else will. Absolutely buy this. The pictures are pretty poor, so you may need your atlas (or a corpse) around to make things clearer.

Books I've used:
BRS Gross - Chung: I don't like it. The pictures are really terrible, and it puts me to sleep every time I try to read it. It also has way more information than you'll probably need. The clinical correlations are nice, though. If you can find a cheap, used copy, pick it up. Otherwise, you should be okay without it.

BRS Phys - Costanzo: It's pretty dry reading, but that's the case with all of this high-yield stuff. However, the information is exactly what you'll need for class. I can't speak for the shelf exam, but this baby has seen me through thick and thin so far. A great buy.

High Yield Embryology - Dudek: Useful, but there isn't much to it. I hate embryology with a passion, so anything that can give me the take-home points in a nutshell is welcome. I recommend it.

Atlas of Human Anatomy - Netter (a.k.a. "Netter's"): It's really very good. I don't use it all that often, but when I do, it's excellent. It's the best of the illustrated atlases, no question.

Color Atlas of Anatomy - Rohen: This is far and away my favorite purchase. It contains photographs of immaculately dissected cadavers and is extremely useful for studying for practicals. Definitely buy it.

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry - some guy: Another med school essential. I'm willing to bet most of your classes' slides will be taken directly from this book. The information is concise, but it's actually a decent read. Worth every penny.

lol @ some guy

i don't understand the whole thing with dissectors. To each his own, I guess.

very good advice. Also, forget about getting a book for cell bio, totally useless. I used my ugrad text (Lodish, twice) more than I used that thing (none zero zilch not at all). Also, I second not buying Shwartz Physical Diagnosis. I haven't even cracked the spine on mine.

Interesting thread, but I suspect that it's largely dependent on the individual what books (if any) are useful for their studies. There are quite a number of threads in allo that talk about specific subjects and what books people use for them.

Wait till you start school. As mentioned above, suggestions are going to be very school specific. Plus you will get cheap used copies from upperclassmen (and occasionally even some free copies), so don't go wasting your money now.

And don't listen to the Clemente hater above; very good atlas as a supplement to Netter's - plus it has great charts with insertions/attachments/functions/innervations for muscle groups

Members don't see this ad :)
The Voet and Voet biochem book is quite dense, I had to use it for my college biochem class as a reference.

I really like Moore's and of course Netter's Atlas is key. I didn't find Lippincott's biochem to be necessary, but it's a good book. The Costanzo Phys book is really good.

LET thanks for making the thread it's really useful, but it's going to feed some of our neuroticism haha but can you make a post in the allo thread so that more allo students can contribute?

Last edited:
Awesome thread! I've been wondering the same thing! I also like the comments about helpful undergrad textbooks...I've neurotically saved all of mine just in case but could really use some extra cash...

Awesome thread! I've been wondering the same thing! I also like the comments about helpful undergrad textbooks...I've neurotically saved all of mine just in case but could really use some extra cash...

unless its biochemistry or cell you won't use it. probably won't use those. Sell them. I kept cell, biochem, and one book (immunology) that I really liked. Sold the rest that were still current.

Textbook for Biochem is a waste of money... Literally the Lippincott Biochemistry book has everything in it...

For physio I think that Guyton is freaking amazing... There is a little bit more info in there than in lectures, but not much. As opposed to the biochem textbook for my class earlier this year. There was tons of information in the book that wasn't covered.

So as an SMP student I don't know all the books, but BRS Physio, Guyton are freaking awesome...

Lipincotts for Biochem

Syllabus for everything else.

My med school sends the incomings this huge list of recommended books, most of which the second years would say NO WAIT DON'T ARGGGHHHH!!!!

My advice, ask second years. Buy the books when you get to medical school. You'll never need them the first day you arrive and it would be very unlikely you'd REALLY need them in the first two weeks of school, giving you plenty of time to figure out what you need (probably all of 3 books) and getting them sent to you.

The survey in the second post is reasonably good, but even then there's a lot of books that are fairly highly recommended but you would probably only need one of them, not both/all.

Books I've used and recommend off the top of my head:

BRS Embryo- Good coverage of embryo which is a tricky subject, gives a good simple explanation of what goes to what and has the important clinical correlations.

Histo atlases are all pretty much the same. I don't really recommend one over the other (get a used one). But I'd highly recommend having one and studying from it.

Netter's Atlas- It presents a very idealized version of the anatomy you'll run into in lab. Use this to supplement the cadaver (which should be your primary study tool). I tried Rohen (the photographic atlas) and found it to be too clean to be a realistic version of the anatomy lab (so might as well use netters b/c netters gives you angles and delineations you just can't get in a photographic atlas and then it's your job to find the stuff in lab).

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple- This book is absolutely necessary for med micro. I wish every book was this helpful.

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dubin- I really didn't know WTF I was doing in terms of EKG reading until I read this book. It's just as friendly as Clin Micro Made Ridiculously Simple.

Robbins Basic Pathology- This is about the level of detail I have time for. It's a good read and doesn't bog you down in the unnecessary detail that you'll never be tested on.

Robbins Rapid Review- A companion question book for Robbins Pathology. Good vignette questions, they hammer down the important points. It's the main reason I do well on the path sections of my tests.

Costanzo Physiology- A good physio text (her BRS text is good too for just before the test).

Grant's Dissector- You won't be able to dissect without this.

I think what I like about Rohen's is that the structures at least look like they will in the cadavers, so you don't have to adapt what you've learned in illustrated, idealized form when you head into the practical. It also helps you review some structures you might have forgotten without a trip to the lab. Furthermore, our dissections are poor at best, so seeing what we're supposed to see when it's all clean and isolated is great for the more delicate (read: harder to clean) structures. I also think Rohen's does a better job of showing the relationships between structures (better notion of depth and thickness and stuff).

As others have pointed out, which books you might end up needing will depend on your school. At ours, the Respiratory Phys section is taught directly from West. Cell Phys is directly from a text written by three of our profs here.

Histo was a subject fairly new to most people, and it was taught heavily based on Ross's format, so having that made following along and keeping up a lot easier.

Anatomy is kind of a wash, get whatever works for you. Netter, Rohen, etc. It's been discussed ad nauseum.

DO NOT BUY LEHNINGER (or any hardcore text, really) FOR BIOCHEM UNLESS YOU NEED A $200 PAPERWEIGHT. Get Lippincott, you might not even use that all that often if your school's notes are good, but it's a great, concise, colorful reference.

Oh, for Intro to Clinical Medicine we're supposed to get Bates or Baby Bates. I bought Baby Bates and haven't opened it once, although I should, and will need to next year. I also "received" a PDF copy of full Bates for free.

I :love: :

Costanzo's Physiology -> I didn't know wtf was going on a lot of times until I read this.

Junquiera's Histology -> Histo at my school is a beast and this text is good as it includes good pics and isn't too detailed in the text.

Abbas's Basic Immunology -> The size of a BRS book with all the essential info and great diagrams.

Rohen's flashcards -> yes, flashcards. I would read Gray's for the gunner details and use this to understand how the actual structures would look for practicals.

Gray's Anatomy -> I know a lot of people hate on Gray's for the extreme detail, but I like the pictures and honored anatomy cause of the pictures, gunner details, and clinical correlation boxes.

Lippincott's Biochemistry -> Useful at times especially for lipid metabolism and diabetes mellitus/regulation of metabolism. However, it was a little too detailed for a lot of lectures.

For the step review books, how important is it to have the most up-to-date editions?

Disagree. I'll reiterate what I implied and what rogerwilco said: do not buy a textbook for biochem. As Jolie mentioned, Lippincott's is often more detail than you need. Can you imagine having double or even triple that much information? Don't waste your time or money. Voet, Voet, And Pratt is a nice text (used it for undergrad), but it's completely unnecessary.

Yeah Vadd that book might be a good undergrad text where you actually have TIME to read some of it, but it's not gonna fly in med school.

I was an idiot and bought Lehninger because I had never had biochem in undergrad and everyone talked about how it was THE book for biochem. I am not even joking when I say that I opened the book ONCE to get a second opinion about the structure of the F1F0 ATPase since our notes were ambiguous.

A week into the course I said **** it and bought Lippincott and sold Lehninger online as "Condition: Brand New." I hardly even used Lippincott either but it was a helpful review for some of the more integrated ideas (and for amino acid metabolism, which was unfortunately not taught as well as most other parts of the biochem course).

We have Biochem, Molecular Bio, and Genetics all lumped into one course that lasts 10 weeks. There is absolutely no way you would ever have time to keep up reading much/any of something like Lehninger or Voet/Voet.

hey I am bumping this thread (thumbs for using "search" ?)

Additionally, I was wondering about any official stance or non-stance that SDN may take or not take on communicating avenues among users to obtain these resources in say, a PDF form.

I'm a team player :)

hey I am bumping this thread (thumbs for using "search" ?)

Additionally, I was wondering about any official stance or non-stance that SDN may take or not take on communicating avenues among users to obtain these resources in say, a PDF form.

I'm a team player :)

SDN does not condone piracy or copyright infringement of any kind, and discussion or solicitation of such is prohibited on the forums.

Textbooks are a waste of money. I think the only ones worth investing in for first year are the anatomy books but even those can be replaced programs like visible body. You won't have time to read textbooks. It's just not an efficient way to study.

Wait until you get to school and talk with some upperclassman before deciding to buy any textbooks.

Some of our professors really pushed some books, and it actually was a good idea to get it, though that was very rare. You would be fine without any. Most people bought a couple of the highly recommended ones by upperclassman and then supplemented with some board review books.

The reason I ask is not because I would necessarily study from a textbook exclusively or anything but is anyone really arguing that they wouldn't be a good reference to have handy?

It is responsible for SDN to take the stance against redistribution of copywrited material and the discussing of such activities on the forums. I agree with this stance. If anyone else would like to comment on how they also agree ....pm.

Also if anyone does have any resources that they have found to be useful over their years, please share the names of those resources and how they have been helpful. If you don't like textbooks, then this thread is not for you I guess.

Peace:love:

Gray's Anatomy -> I know a lot of people hate on Gray's for the extreme detail, but I like the pictures and honored anatomy cause of the pictures, gunner details, and clinical correlation boxes.

Did you use a contemporary version of the original Gray's Anatomy or did you use Gray's Anatomy for Students? I have a hard time believing a med school would require the Gray's Anatomy textbook.