Preparing for 1st Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shilgy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I plan on attending med school next year and I would like to purchase a couple books to help me prepare for the challenges ahead. any advice?
i found "how to study in medical school" by armin kamyab on amazon which seemed like it got good reviews. can anyone recommend it or anything else?

Also, I have a few months free now before school starts. should I purchase a few textbooks and start preparing for some of my upcoming classes or is that a waste of time? if yes, which ones?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on trying to increase my alcohol tolerance...from what I understand, Medical students know how to party.

As do I. I plan on doing absolutely NOTHING school related - no books, no guides, no research, no nothing. Vacationing, boozing, and relaxing are my plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually worry about the whole alcohol tolerance thing too. I really hate drinking. I have nothing against it at all (or the people who indulge), in fact I used to drink like a fish, but once I started smoking weed I just realized how much better it is than drinking and dealing with the after effects. Some of my more straight-edge friends that are currently in medical school say that it's difficult to be part of the larger social scene if you're not a huge drinker. I assume I will quickly rise as one of the "lamer" students in my class. Oh well.

I actually worry about the whole alcohol tolerance thing too. I really hate drinking. I have nothing against it at all (or the people who indulge), in fact I used to drink like a fish, but once I started smoking weed I just realized how much better it is than drinking and dealing with the after effects. Some of my more straight-edge friends that are currently in medical school say that it's difficult to be part of the larger social scene if you're not a huge drinker. I assume I will quickly rise as one of the "lamer" students in my class. Oh well.
There are pot smokers as well.

Hi guys,

I plan on attending med school next year and I would like to purchase a couple books to help me prepare for the challenges ahead. any advice?
i found "how to study in medical school" by armin kamyab on amazon which seemed like it got good reviews. can anyone recommend it or anything else?

Also, I have a few months free now before school starts. should I purchase a few textbooks and start preparing for some of my upcoming classes or is that a waste of time? if yes, which ones?

thanks in advance

I've posted this before, but if you are going to purchase books, I would get:

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy
Costanzo Physiology (and the accompanying BRS Physiology)
Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Lipincott Biochemistry

That would be a good start

I've posted this before, but if you are going to purchase books, I would get:

Costanzo Physiology (and the accompanying BRS Physiology)

That would be a good start

BRS already? Isn't that a MS2 book?

I think I would just enjoy what time I had left because more than likely you are not going to read enough to make a substantial difference in getting ahead. The study book you mentioned may possibly help. But other than that just try and relax and do the things you won't get to do for the next four years.

BRS already? Isn't that a MS2 book?

BRS is not just one book. There is one for every subject. I have BRS or High Yield for all of the subjects. Starting in second year I used BRS for every subject and I really wished I had done the same for M1. It helps keep things straight for exams plus you use them to study for Step I.

should I purchase a few textbooks and start preparing for some of my upcoming classes or is that a waste of time?

How many freakin times is this question going to get asked.

Im sorry OP. Its not your fault. Its me. Really.

Hi guys,

thanks in advance

get as much sleep as possible! don't waste time 'preparing'. seriously.

but if you want a good book to read (which wont really prepare you for studying or anything)...read Dr. Atul Gawande's two books..."Complications" and "Better" . Highly recommend :)

I totally think you should just read novels or fun things! I just said this in another post but two books that are awesome and relate to medicine even are My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, and Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.

thanks guys for all of your answers...i appreciate it...