Summer before med school... study, work, or travel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcnulty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, med school starts in mid-august, and as of now I have a decent job. So I'm looking for a little input as to whether I should:

a) Work all summer long, study when I can, learn relatively little, and save a good amount of money

b) Quit my job in May, audit an anatomy course offered by my local university, learn a lot, and save a fair amount of money

c) Quit my job in June, backpack around Central America for 2 months, study when I can, learn more than option (a) but less than (b), and save a fair amount of money.

Hybrids of these options are probably not viable (e.g., I cannot quit my job in June and audit the anatomy course...), so please don't try to compromise. I'm fairly certain I've narrowed down all my possible choices.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm know finances seem like a huge concern to me right now, but I also realize that anything I save or spend will be relatively dilute compared to the 150k I've planned for med school. Thanks again, and CHEERS :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

16b0h1t.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you plan on studying for? most people argue that "pre-studying" for med school is not beneficial enough to justify it.

i would quit the job in may and cruise central america for 3 months.

What if some high school kid asked you if you thought it was a good idea to start studying for the MCAT the summer before his freshman year?

That should answer your question.

I didn't take anatomy as an undergrad, so I'm mainly stressed about that. And yeah, I know my profile says med-student, but I figured since my pre-med career is over, and I start in August...

What if some high school kid asked you if you thought it was a good idea to start studying for the MCAT the summer before his freshman year?

I started studying for the MCAT my freshman year of high school, and I loved it.

No but seriously, good point, but this is probably more analgous to cracking a gen chem book before freshman year. I'm not studying for step I or anything.

i would say that's a stupid idea because the high school kid hasn't taken the college level coursework yet. that's like studying for the boards in undergrad.

the OP has met all the requirements and been accepted. all i'm saying is why not just enjoy the summer and learn the material during school like 99% of everyone else? is there an exam the first day of school that i'm not aware of?

Last edited:
C.

My contract officially ends July 3rd but I'm taking three weeks off in May to travel and then working a little extra in July to make up for it. I need a vacation desperately. I'd travel after my job but this way I get to travel with my two favorite people.

This is one of your last times to have fun without legitamately wondering if you should have done something productive instead.