F31 Priority Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADDICTED2STATS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I got my priority score back on my F31 application; it was 142. For those who have gone through this, any idea on my chances of funding? I am applying through NIAAA.

Also, How long does it take for funding to actually start if I am awarded an NRSA?

Members don't see this ad.

That's very good! What's your percentile score? Usually lowest 10-15% gets funded, although it varies (my score was similar to yours with a higher than 10% priority score and it still got funded). Congrats!

Your funding will start at your specified start date.

Thanks for posting psychanon.

F31s don't get percentiles anymore, just priority scores. I figured it was competitive, I'm just not sure how competitve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I didn't know that, about not getting percentiles now-- must've been a pretty recent change. My experience is very limited, but my guess is that it's in the fundable range but not in the "it will certainly be funded" range. It may have a better chance if the reviews mainly suggest minor changes that you can address in a letter. Talk to your program officer once you get your summary statement (if you haven't already). Good luck!

Hi,

I just got my priority score for my F31 proposal and it is a 40. Can anybody tell me what this means for my chances of funding, re-submission, etc...? Thank you!

Unless they changed the scoring system, I think it means you're looking at the wrong number;)

Don't priority scores range from 100-500?

I just read that the priority score system recently changed and now ranges from 10 to 90. I cannot find for the life of me any more information than that. I sent my PO an email asking for further information but have yet to hear back. If anyone has any additional information that might help me decipher my score and chances for funding I'd greatly appreciate it!

I heard this change was coming. Below is a link to a .pdf with a little information on the new scoring system. Based on what it says, I would guess that a 40 is going to be roughly equal to a 200 in the old system (but that's just a guess). The good news is that it was scored! Did it include a percentile score? Mine didn't have a percentile score, but some people from a few years ago did. I wondered if they went back to it since the new system has a higher probablity of 'ties' as all apps are rated from 1-9 with no .5 intervals as before.

http://www.union.edu/Resources/Acad...sJS/new-nih-scoring-critera-not-od-09-024.pdf

Wow. This must have JUST gone through because we just got a score last month that was still under the old system.

Sorry - wish I could be more helpful, but hopefully your PO will have the answers about this new system.

The new scoring system was announced a while ago, but was just implemented in this most recent cycle of reviews.

From what I can gather, people are still trying to figure out how to interpret the new scores. But from talking to people who actually participated in this most recent round of reviews, it sounds like a 40 is probably not in the fundable range - maybe something close to a 200 using the old system?

But you won't know until you talk to your program officer - take advantage of your PO as a resource, and see what (s)he has to say!

ps. Just realized someone else posted something similar up top! It's nice to know that there's some convergence in understanding the new system!

I love that there are people applying for grants on the boards! Please hang around, a lot of us are going to be applying for NRSAs soon. Mine will be going in in December.

I just got word today that my F31 is being funded!!

When it comes time, I'll be around. You can also PM me if you have questions when you apply.