2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already taken the MCAT once and have signed up for another one in August to improve on my old score. I've indicated in the application to expect another MCAT. However, in case I end up not doing so well on test day(void my score) and decide to use my old score instead, can I make changes to the verified application to reflect that?

Members don't see this ad.

and will the schools know that I took it at all?

That late in the cycle, you will have to call the schools individually to inform them of the change. They will, at that point, close your application and begin review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this has been asked, but I searched and could not find something that answered my question...

I'm wondering if there is any significant processing time from the time my undergrad uploads my LORs on Virtual Evals to when they are available or received by schools. Basically, my MCAT scores will be in September 1st. My secondaries will be in during the first week of August. I'm sending the necesary waivers to my undergrad tomorrow, and they have to write a short committee update (I'm a reapplicant) before they send my letter packet. If I ask them to complete it in the next month (i.e. a week or two before Sept. 1st), will my LORs and secondaries be ready to go at each school on September 1st when my MCAT scores get in?

Thanks for your help!

I'm sure this has been asked, but I searched and could not find something that answered my question...

I'm wondering if there is any significant processing time from the time my undergrad uploads my LORs on Virtual Evals to when they are available or received by schools. Basically, my MCAT scores will be in September 1st. My secondaries will be in during the first week of August. I'm sending the necesary waivers to my undergrad tomorrow, and they have to write a short committee update (I'm a reapplicant) before they send my letter packet. If I ask them to complete it in the next month (i.e. a week or two before Sept. 1st), will my LORs and secondaries be ready to go at each school on September 1st when my MCAT scores get in?

Thanks for your help!

Once your letters are on VirtualEvals, you need to have them sent to AMCAS. You then need to designate which schools you want to receive your letters through AMCAS, and then recertify your application.

Once your letters are on VirtualEvals, you need to have them sent to AMCAS. You then need to designate which schools you want to receive your letters through AMCAS, and then recertify your application.

Thanks for the response! Any idea how long I can expect it to take from the time my undergrad sends my LORs to AMCAS via VirtualEvals until the time they show up on AMCAS so I can designate them to schools?? I'm assuming this would be the only step that might actually take some time...

Why do they ask about your parent's education?
Both of my parents did not go to college... is that looked down upon?

Why do they ask about your parent's education?
Both of my parents did not go to college... is that looked down upon?

no, you shouldn't be looked down upon. Some schools might even see that as good, if you have a good gpa, etc - shows that you have initiative.... or something. in any case, i wouldnt' be worried about it.

Thanks for the response! Any idea how long I can expect it to take from the time my undergrad sends my LORs to AMCAS via VirtualEvals until the time they show up on AMCAS so I can designate them to schools?? I'm assuming this would be the only step that might actually take some time...

Once the letters are sent through VirtualEvals; they will be here the next business morning at 7:00am. If your application is processed and you've assigned the letter to the medical schools it is sent automatically real time. Please remember that medical schools differ in the way they receive letters from AMCAS, some download files each day while others download once a week or every other day.

what if you have a low gpa?
For the parent's job... what is Other Healthcare worker defined as?

no, you shouldn't be looked down upon. Some schools might even see that as good, if you have a good gpa, etc - shows that you have initiative.... or something. in any case, i wouldnt' be worried about it.

Once the letters are sent through VirtualEvals; they will be here the next business morning at 7:00am. If your application is processed and you've assigned the letter to the medical schools it is sent automatically real time. Please remember that medical schools differ in the way they receive letters from AMCAS, some download files each day while others download once a week or every other day.

Exactly what I was looking for...thank you!

what if you have a low gpa?
For the parent's job... what is Other Healthcare worker defined as?

well if you have a low gpa...then I don't think it will help you, but I still don't think your parents' education status will hurt you.

other healthcare would be anything in healthcare other than the options listed. sorry i can't be more specific. if you think it's healthcare, then it's healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just got verified today, but one of my coruses was listed as "listed on academic record, but not on transcript blah blah format corrections were made." IS that a bad thing? Idk what that means, but AMCAS did say my app was sent out to schools. So should i be worried?

Hey guys,

I just got verified today, but one of my coruses was listed as "listed on academic record, but not on transcript blah blah format corrections were made." IS that a bad thing? Idk what that means, but AMCAS did say my app was sent out to schools. So should i be worried?

No, but you probably did not get credit for that one course. Unless it was a pre-req, I wouldn't be worried.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys - I'll do it that way.

For coursework:
I started college with 30 college credit hours (AP and "college now" courses during high school) - technically, a sophomore, though my first year at the university.

Do I put sophomore or freshman?

It's not identified on the official transcript itself if "fresh/soph/etc" year, just "Spring 1998."

Note: I'm 29 and I was in college literally forever and have almost 200 credit hours, so my transcript looks like a mess to begin with. I want to simplify it as much as possible! >_<

Also - I've searched but can't find how do you see your BCPM GPA?

Thanks for your help guys - I'll do it that way.

For coursework:
I started college with 30 college credit hours (AP and "college now" courses during high school) - technically, a sophomore, though my first year at the university.

Do I put sophomore or freshman?

It's not identified on the official transcript itself if "fresh/soph/etc" year, just "Spring 1998."

Note: I'm 29 and I was in college literally forever and have almost 200 credit hours, so my transcript looks like a mess to begin with. I want to simplify it as much as possible! >_<

just put freshman since it was your first year of college.

Also - I've searched but can't find how do you see your BCPM GPA?

I think you can see it only after you have been verified (I haven't been so I can't confirm this)

just put freshman since it was your first year of college.
Thanks. The AMCAS booklet says (0-32), (31-64),(61-96),(91+) I don't want to mess up the whole cascade of years.
I took 30 credits at a COMMUNITY COLLEGE while in High School. Those I mark as high school, obviously.
So let's say I'm putting my first course at the UNIVERSITY, BIOL 151 Hnrs in my first semester at the University, and calling it Freshman.
So when do I switch it into my sophomore year? Only when I have 30 credits FROM the University itself?
I had part-time semesters and interrupted also (Study abroad, etc) so it's messy from here on out!

Or does it really matter?

Thanks for the response on the BCPM. That bums me out! I wanted to see ahead of time. lol

Thanks. The AMCAS booklet says (0-32), (31-64),(61-96),(91+) I don't want to mess up the whole cascade of years.
I took 30 credits at a COMMUNITY COLLEGE while in High School. Those I mark as high school, obviously.
So let's say I'm putting my first course at the UNIVERSITY, BIOL 151 Hnrs in my first semester at the University, and calling it Freshman.
So when do I switch it into my sophomore year? Only when I have 30 credits FROM the University itself?
I had part-time semesters and interrupted also (Study abroad, etc) so it's messy from here on out!

Or does it really matter?

Thanks for the response on the BCPM. That bums me out! I wanted to see ahead of time. lol

It shouldn't matter too much, as long as you are consistent. AMCAS will rearrange it the way they want it.

Thanks so much!

(Found answer to question on course repeats finally, sorry. New question:)

I enrolled myself in a major University in Mexico to study there for one year (NOT official study abroad program)
The credits transferred to my University as course number "SPAN U" with course title "SPANISH" - 12 credit hours Semester 1 and 6 credit hours Semester 2, both with A's.

These grades are only on my US University's unofficial transcript - NOT on the official.
But my US University's official counts the credits as "credits taken."

Do I put the courses in my US University's courses or in the Mexican University's list?

Though it says I must list the school as attended, it does not appear I need to request a transcript for the school abroad according to the AMCAS instructions, but.....I am SO confused, and can't find the answer to this on the forums!

Last edited:
One more strange class type: (Spanish Medical Interpreting Certificate program...it's a fairly new program.)
"Introduction to Interpreting" and "Interpreting Skills" and "Interpreting Skills II" - I'd guess Foreign Lang, because it's not "Science."
But "Spanish Medical Interpreting" - still Foreign Lang, or is this one Health Sciences?

Last edited:
One more (so sorry, I am looking, but I can't find the answers!)
If the college course description includes "lab" hours within a course, even if it is not a science course, you still mark lab, right?

Two of my interpreting courses have "lab" hours, as do a couple of others.

One more (so sorry, I am looking, but I can't find the answers!)
If the college course description includes "lab" hours within a course, even if it is not a science course, you still mark lab, right?

Two of my interpreting courses have "lab" hours, as do a couple of others.

Don't be sorry...that's what this thread is for! um yes you would mark it "and Lab"

One more strange class type: (Spanish Medical Interpreting Certificate program...it's a fairly new program.)
"Introduction to Interpreting" and "Interpreting Skills" and "Interpreting Skills II" - I'd guess Foreign Lang, because it's not "Science."
But "Spanish Medical Interpreting" - still Foreign Lang, or is this one Health Sciences?

I would put foreign language for spanish medical interpreting. If the AMCAS people disagree they will change it.

Don't know the answer to your question about the mexican university, sorry - I would try calling AMCAS since your problem seems to be pretty specific

Is there any possible way to withdraw my application even though it has completed processing and started verification?

If no, is there even a way to withdraw my application from select schools?

I have been verified for about a month and am in the process of filling out secondaries. I want to add a school, but I'm not sure about this whole re-verifying business. Is this going to jack things up for the schools I've already received secondaries from or those I'm still waiting for?

Also if anyone has done this, how long did it take to get re-verified?

Thanks and good luck!!

Gator

I have been verified for about a month and am in the process of filling out secondaries. I want to add a school, but I'm not sure about this whole re-verifying business. Is this going to jack things up for the schools I've already received secondaries from or those I'm still waiting for?

Also if anyone has done this, how long did it take to get re-verified?

Thanks and good luck!!

Gator

If you already verified, then adding schools don't require re-verification. The school you added will get you app in about 1-2 business days. However, I am not sure if or how this affects schools who already have your app and/or have given you secondaries.

If you already verified, then adding schools don't require re-verification. The school you added will get you app in about 1-2 business days. However, I am not sure if or how this affects schools who already have your app and/or have given you secondaries.

:thumbup: Thanks! Worked like a charm.

i got two questions:

1) AMCAS asks for "dates attended" at college.....well what if I'm still attending?which date should I give for the end date?is it today's date or is it date I think I will graduate?

similarily it asks for "Degree Earned"....i mean i haven't earned it yet...should it be the date I think I will earn it?

2)should the date of graduation be exact or can I just give them the date I complete my last course?

i got two questions:

1) AMCAS asks for "dates attended" at college.....well what if I'm still attending?which date should I give for the end date?is it today's date or is it date I think I will graduate?

similarily it asks for "Degree Earned"....i mean i haven't earned it yet...should it be the date I think I will earn it?

2)should the date of graduation be exact or can I just give them the date I complete my last course?

you can forget about my 1st questions...I think the date should be the expected date....but here arises another problem...what if there will be a change in plan and I dont graduate by the date I have told them?

Should studying abroad go in the "work/activities" section? If so, how much detail do I put into the explanation?
I am having a hard time with this section. I did read the post with the tips, but it's still difficult. Also, what about Dean's List? I am assuming that most people applying to medical school have made the List, but is it still prudent to put it in there, or will that just look like filler?
Also, (okay, maybe this post isn't as short as I had originally intended), I have done research, presented it at a conference, and had it published. Do I really need to make three different entries for this? And if I do, can I put, for example, "see previous section" in the explanation?
One more -- should I include that I was a member of a social sorority in college? I held two positions on the executive board, but I am not sure what adcoms might think about sororities...I wonder if listing it might not be the best idea, eventhough I could consider it a leadership role.
Thanks for your help!

Is there any possible way to withdraw my application even though it has completed processing and started verification?

If no, is there even a way to withdraw my application from select schools?

You can withdraw after you've been verified...but specific schools I am pretty sure you cannot...but you are going to have to call AMCAS on that

bump

It seems like people are starting to make their own threads to ask questions about the AMCAS application. Just use this one :thumbup:

you can forget about my 1st questions...I think the date should be the expected date....but here arises another problem...what if there will be a change in plan and I dont graduate by the date I have told them?

It's not a big deal. Just fill in when you plan to graduate, and if you are not sure then pick the most likely option. And most of us are filling this out while still having some college left by the way. You can deal with any change of plans later along the application cycle by contacting the med school, etc.

You would absolutely need to graduate by the time you start at a given med school. So as long as you do that that is fine. I shouldn't expect that to be too difficult though as there are really only 2 times possible for you to graduate, spring or summer.

Does anyone know how long after AMCAS gets new mcat scores (took 7/2 got 8/3, released the same day and got 8/4ish) they are able to send them out to schools?? And if any schools will review your application without them?? Even if they are way better than old scores?? THANKS.

I just got verified with AMCAS and I see the AMCAS letter grades to the side (my school uses percentages). Where can I find my GPA? Thanks in advance!

AMCAS asks us to list ALL coursework.

On my transcripts, I don't have any of my AP classes for which I have received credit listed. However, on my "DARS" report (it basically audits all of your credits and lists requirements for graduation), I have a bunch of AP credits listed for credit. I'm worried that medical schools, which ask for transcripts, will think that I lied about my AP credits somehow. Also, credit that I received for AP courses is sometimes listed as a retake, even when it's not!

Any advice? I don't really have a clear question, just a little worried about the whole thing.

so amcas got my letters. to "resubmit", i just click submit application on the home page, right?

ok.. so amcas said i need to list my LOR.. but i only sent the letters to interfolio..do i have to send them to amcas 2? because it says not received by them.. can i just have interfolio send the entire thing 2 them? or do i just wait for secondaries and have the letters sent to the schools via interfolio? thanx for the help

i was wondering if i could get your guys opinion about where to sort my research activities. This is what I have concerning this particular lab:

- presented at national conference. first author on the poster/abstract.
- paper submitted to journal aug 2009
- recieved competitive research grants from my university for this research fall 2008, summer 2007 and 2009
- 1st place in Sigma Xi Poster contest at my university

since there are so many options for categories.. such as publications/presentations&posters/conferences attended/awards.. should i put this all in different slots for activities.. or should i lump some together under 'research/lab' and some not to make them stand out more?

i only have three/four more slots before it becomes 15, my other activities include:
- all my shadowing and volunteering at ER in the past 4 yrs
- Co-Chair of cultural club at my school
- EMT
- Tour Guide
- CO-President of volunteer group that works with pregnancy crisis centers in the area
- orientation counselor
- founder of martin luther king day of service on campus
- research at a summer program at another university
- honorable mentions for Goldwater Scholarship
- Phi Beta Kappa

also, i am not sure if or where I should include that I am a presidential scholar at this univerisity or am a diverstiy peer educator? If i dont have room to fit it in, I should just leave it out right? or maybe i can lump in Phi beta kappa and being a presidential scholar togher?

ah.. please help!! i just want to be done with this application and have some freedom :(

Do you have to input all your LOE writers BEFORE you submit the primary app through AMCAS? I haven't gotten confirmation from all my writers yet.

Also, where is the 'waiver of my right to read the letter' type thing in this system?

One of the schools I'm applying to requires a packet letter. Should I have the letter writers send letters both to AMCAS directly and to my college advisor?

How do I get more information on how these things like interfolio work? I know one of my LOE writers probably has not used one of these type of things before. Thanks.

This has me going insane. I am SO ready to just GET DONE with these hoops we have to jump through! grrr

If your letters have been collected at Interfolio that is great, but you do need to send them to AMCAS.

If they all came in separately then email Interfolio and ask if they can group them into one packet; this would mean you can send one packet to AMCAS and to other schools which do not use the AMCAS letter service for $4 each packet rather than $4 per letter.

Interfolio can take up to 24 hours to respond, but they are extremely helpful and your letter will be at AMCAS the next day.

what has more weight? a LOR from a doctor you've shadowed for a while...or a college professor you took a class with a did well in?

already have a few from professors i took classes with. i guess the doc one would add variety but does it carry less weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.