any reallly low mcat practice score to improved high score??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hkim1026

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i am a senior and i have a gpa of ~3.7 which is pretty good
but i took my practice mcat from AMCAAS and it scared the eff out of me.
i got a 11 composite score. 11!! i feel so discouraged from this practice.
i understand that i did not study before i took the practice exam but i feel so helpless and anxious even before studying cuz its just too low. did anyone experience the similar situation where you got a real low mcat score but ended up doing well on the real exam after studying?
please give me some insights!! thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I started with an 18 and ended with a 32 on the real thing, and scored everything from 23-36 in between. Just keep chipping away at it and be real systematic about your studying and you'll be fine.

Hi guys, i am a senior and i have a gpa of ~3.7 which is pretty good
but i took my practice mcat from AMCAAS and it scared the eff out of me.
i got a 11 composite score. 11!! i feel so discouraged from this practice.
i understand that i did not study before i took the practice exam but i feel so helpless and anxious even before studying cuz its just too low. did anyone experience the similar situation where you got a real low mcat score but ended up doing well on the real exam after studying?
please give me some insights!! thanks guys!

I started with an 18 and ended with a 32 on the real thing, and scored everything from 23-36 in between. Just keep chipping away at it and be real systematic about your studying and you'll be fine.

majahops, how much/long did you study and how did you study to improve your score? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about the difference between my diagnostic (18) and my actual score (32)... I knew plenty of people with lower diagnostics who ended up with around the same actual score, so it's not rare.

The keys:

1) Use examkrackers. When you're done with their books, don't go to Kaplan or Princeton Review, just read EK again. You will thank yourself.

2) Be smart about using the AAMC exams and only take one after you feel you've improved your base-knowledge of the material covered on the MCAT. They are worth their weight in gold.

3) Be systematic about your studying (same amount of time spent each day, switch topics each day).

11? are you a senior graduating from hs? haha, kidding...

Yeah pretty much what others said, dont get discouraged by low initial score, I scored an 18 on my Kaplan diagnostic, and I got wicked discouraged and took a year off from MCAT...wish I didn't

3) Be systematic about your studying (same amount of time spent each day, switch topics each day).

Do you really recommend a different topic each day? (Why, as opposed to doing, say, a week of physics, if physics is your weakness?)

Do you really recommend a different topic each day? (Why, as opposed to doing, say, a week of physics, if physics is your weakness?)
It depends on each person I think. The one thing I think noone should do is study huge blocks of one subject at a time without studying anything else (By huge blocks I mean weeks). You have to keep everything fresh in your head, so whether that means studying physics for two days, bio for two, chem for two etc.; doing a little bit of everything everyday, or studying two subjects in parallel every week will be up to you.

Personally, I studied one subject as a major focus every day or two, and did practice problems for the previous days at night. Many other people have used different study schedules and done just as well as I have. GL. :)

I was just curious why you suggested EK instead of princeton review? Is there a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.