09-10 MSTP Question Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroChaos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am feeling lonely, already. Where are all the MSTP applicants? I hope this threads brings out a few. Ask questions about anything related to MSTP 2009-2010 cycle. We will be class of 2018ish WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright I will start,
When applying to MD/Ph.D should we treat it as Ph.D. Should we try to contact individual PIs explaining our interset in their work etc?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you apply through the AMCAS service as though you were an MD applicant. You will check a box that says MD/PhD and have additional essays to fill out.

I dropped an entire quarter (3 classes) because I changed majors and didn't need those classes anymore and didn't want to go through with finals. I consider this a huge mistake. I got a W recently (for a GE) because I realized 4 science classes were more than enough for me.

How much will this hurt me? My GPA is fairly good, research is good and I think my MCAT will be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on what your definitino of good is for the other things...

just make sure you explain this situation on your application

I am feeling lonely, already. Where are all the MSTP applicants? I hope this threads brings out a few. Ask questions about anything related to MSTP 2009-2010 cycle. We will be class of 2018ish WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright I will start,
When applying to MD/Ph.D should we treat it as Ph.D. Should we try to contact individual PIs explaining our interset in their work etc?

this is a great question. when I applied, I didn't but I didn't know much then. Since then, the PIs that I have talk to (that send kids to MSTP programs) have told me that its nice to do so.

It doesn't hurt to look at faculty profiles and read a thing or two about their research. Anyone can show interest though, I think your emails are more likely to be welcomed by someone in a similar field as your current PI or whatever. Not sure.

I was told that contacting PIs prior to receiving an interview is a waste of everyone's time, since it's not likely that they can influence the MSTP admissions committee at that stage (and they know nothing about you). After getting an interview, however, go crazy. Professors know that you're qualified if you've gotten that far, so they're much more interested in you, and if you seem like you would do very well working with them, they might be able to help you get accepted to the program.

I was told that contacting PIs prior to receiving an interview is a waste of everyone's time, since it's not likely that they can influence the MSTP admissions committee at that stage (and they know nothing about you). After getting an interview, however, go crazy. Professors know that you're qualified if you've gotten that far, so they're much more interested in you, and if you seem like you would do very well working with them, they might be able to help you get accepted to the program.

Definitely agree. Wait until you get the interview invite because then the PI's know that you are at least coming to visit the university. Typically during the scheduling of interviews you will select a few researchers who you would like to meet with during your visit, but by contacting specific PI's after you get the green light for the interview ensures that they'll make time in their schedule for you.

Of course the situation at every program is different, but I've never heard of a professor getting an applicant accepted because he/she really wants to work with that student. Usually the research meetings are for your personal interest and won't have a significant impact on the admissions decision, but of course, the situation is different everywhere.

Definitely agree. Wait until you get the interview invite because then the PI's know that you are at least coming to visit the university. Typically during the scheduling of interviews you will select a few researchers who you would like to meet with during your visit, but by contacting specific PI's after you get the green light for the interview ensures that they'll make time in their schedule for you.

Of course the situation at every program is different, but I've never heard of a professor getting an applicant accepted because he/she really wants to work with that student. Usually the research meetings are for your personal interest and won't have a significant impact on the admissions decision, but of course, the situation is different everywhere.
Excellent advice witness, tiamat, and nystagate. I will keep that in mind as the cycle progresses.

For our 10k research essay, should we put citations in. We are essentially doing background, methods, results etc, so should we put citations in as one would in a journal article?

For our 10k research essay, should we put citations in. We are essentially doing background, methods, results etc, so should we put citations in as one would in a journal article?

I am pretty sure you just want to say what you did. I don't believe you need those sections unless the prompt changed.

I am pretty sure you just want to say what you did. I don't believe you need those sections unless the prompt changed.

I meant that I will describe my research in this format as this seems to be the proper way to write it. I am not putting headings or subheadings; but the overall flow of the essay will follow the usual journal style. I think you took it as if I am writing it like a manuscript. It is still a regular essay describing my mistakes, bright ideas, disappointments etc but takes a the approach of journal article.

By citations, I meant that since in the beginning I am referring to work by other authors should I put citations for that?

I meant that I will describe my research in this format as this seems to be the proper way to write it. I am not putting headings or subheadings; but the overall flow of the essay will follow the usual journal style. I think you took it as if I am writing it like a manuscript. It is still a regular essay describing my mistakes, bright ideas, disappointments etc but takes a the approach of journal article.

By citations, I meant that since in the beginning I am referring to work by other authors should I put citations for that?

Pretty sure this has been asked a couple of times before, and the consensus seems to be no citations.

I wrote mine as more of a narrative story, but I guess in principle your way is very similar

Members don't see this ad :)
Since this seems to be where applicants post questions..... sorry if I am highjacking this thread.

I start my new job in a new lab in early june. My new PI knows me somewhat because I had to write a seven page proposal for a institutional grant in order to work in his lab and he proofread it many times and helped me write it. I have only worked for/done research with one other PI but for about a year and a half. Should I get the LOR from the dude? Will it matter if I don't have it by the primary?

Anyone else starting to freak out and are starting think about waiting a year? I will be such a stronger applicant with more research under my belt.... Eh.

Since this seems to be where applicants post questions..... sorry if I am highjacking this thread.

I start my new job in a new lab in early june. My new PI knows me somewhat because I had to write a seven page proposal for a institutional grant in order to work in his lab and he proofread it many times and helped me write it. I have only worked for/done research with one other PI but for about a year and a half. Should I get the LOR from the dude? Will it matter if I don't have it by the primary?

Anyone else starting to freak out and are starting think about waiting a year? I will be such a stronger applicant with more research under my belt.... Eh.

Ditto. I'd like to know, too.

Get the letter from your previous PI first, and update your file with one from your current PI when you are confident that he would write you a strong letter.

I dropped an entire quarter (3 classes) because I changed majors and didn't need those classes anymore and didn't want to go through with finals. I consider this a huge mistake. I got a W recently (for a GE) because I realized 4 science classes were more than enough for me.

How much will this hurt me? My GPA is fairly good, research is good and I think my MCAT will be good.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. When I applied I had 2 W's on my transcript from classes I withdrew from. One was microecon and the other spanish. I was never asked about them during my application process.

I can't decide if I want to put my biggest/best research experience first, or end with it. I'm leaning towards saving it for last.

Also, what does everyone else consider to be "significant"? Do you think it would be wise to include single semester research experiences?

Any thoughts?

I can't decide if I want to put my biggest/best research experience first, or end with it. I'm leaning towards saving it for last.

Also, what does everyone else consider to be "significant"? Do you think it would be wise to include single semester research experiences?

Any thoughts?

I would save the best experience for last to leave a lasting impression. But, I would recommend writing your essay in a chronological order so I'm assuming this experience was your last/current research endeavor.

When it comes to the whole significant issue, the best advice is for you to determine which projects actually had an impact on your growth as a scientist. Definitely include projects that perhaps involved poster presentations or publications. I included two research projects on the activities section of the application, but never discussed them in my essay and was never asked about them either. Those projects were done during freshman year and I basically had no real responsibility in the lab other than helping others.

My PI told me to write about my most significant research project and do it well. No one wants to read a laundry list of research experiences if they don't really understand what happened in each and what it meant to you. I would recommend focusing on one or two significant projects.

Had a similar situation last year and included the experience on my AMCAS (though I was vague about it and said I would be able to discuss it during the interviews). All 3 MSTP schools where I interviewed requested a LOR from my new PI, but they did so in September, so I had 3 months under my belt and a good relationship with my PI.

You should definitely include the experience on the AMCAS, but I wouldn't get a LOR yet. Wait a few months when you know more about your project and PI.

When you apply MD/PhD on AMCAS it makes you choose a concentration for the PhD, is this just what you think you would prefer, or is there some kind of effect this would have on your application (like, if you get an interviewer someone from that department will interview you, or something)?

Had a similar situation last year and included the experience on my AMCAS (though I was vague about it and said I would be able to discuss it during the interviews). All 3 MSTP schools where I interviewed requested a LOR from my new PI, but they did so in September, so I had 3 months under my belt and a good relationship with my PI.

You should definitely include the experience on the AMCAS, but I wouldn't get a LOR yet. Wait a few months when you know more about your project and PI.

This is amazing help, thanks a ton! I have been really racking my brain trying to decide if I should include the project. I will be about three weeks into it once I complete my primary and will have done a good portion by August. So I guess around August I will have him do a letter for me. Thanks so much for the AMCAS advice, too.

My PI told me to write about my most significant research project and do it well. No one wants to read a laundry list of research experiences if they don't really understand what happened in each and what it meant to you. I would recommend focusing on one or two significant projects.

The adcoms probably hated reading my 10,000 character behemoth. My stats were lower for MSTP, but I spent a lot of time writing about my 3 research experiences in a way that, hopefully, made me sound interested and passionate about them. I think a detailed account of each research experience can help some applicants... you just need to make sure to analyze your contribution and its impact on you instead of only describing/listing.

I am having hardtime finding an impressive opening sentence for my research essay. any suggesttion??

First of all, if someone could answer "not respect"'s question, that would be great, since I was wondering the same thing.

Secondly, how much would you say clinical experience matters for admission to MD-PhD programs/MSTPs, especially if you're planning to pursue a career predominantly or mostly in research? I have fairly extensive research experience, but my clinical experience is severely limited... I volunteered in an emergency room one summer towards the end of high school (are they going to disregard it since it was in high school, not college?), and I will be volunteering at a local children's hospital starting this summer (around the time when I will have submitted AMCAS). How big of a weakness is my lack of volunteering/shadowing during college for getting into MSTPs? Would it help my chances if I portray myself as someone purely interested in medically relevant research, rather than patient care (when in reality both interest me very much)?

Finally, am I correct that I should be listing the activities I'm going to be doing during my upcoming gap year (working in a new lab, volunteering at the Children's hospital) in the Work/Activities section of AMCAS, even if they have yet to start? Do admissions committees take seriously volunteer experiences that are only starting now, or is it too little too late? (To preempt a possible response: improving my resume is certainly not the only reason I'm planning on volunteering this summer. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but have generally not have time for it since I've been so invested in my lab work. I'm just wondering to what extent, given that I'm finally going to be volunteering, this experience will affect my admissions chances).

First of all, if someone could answer "not respect"'s question, that would be great, since I was wondering the same thing.

Secondly, how much would you say clinical experience matters for admission to MD-PhD programs/MSTPs, especially if you're planning to pursue a career predominantly or mostly in research? I have fairly extensive research experience, but my clinical experience is severely limited... I volunteered in an emergency room one summer towards the end of high school (are they going to disregard it since it was in high school, not college?), and I will be volunteering at a local children's hospital starting this summer (around the time when I will have submitted AMCAS). How big of a weakness is my lack of volunteering/shadowing during college for getting into MSTPs? Would it help my chances if I portray myself as someone purely interested in medically relevant research, rather than patient care (when in reality both interest me very much)?

Finally, am I correct that I should be listing the activities I'm going to be doing during my upcoming gap year (working in a new lab, volunteering at the Children's hospital) in the Work/Activities section of AMCAS, even if they have yet to start? Do admissions committees take seriously volunteer experiences that are only starting now, or is it too little too late? (To preempt a possible response: improving my resume is certainly not the only reason I'm planning on volunteering this summer. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but have generally not have time for it since I've been so invested in my lab work. I'm just wondering to what extent, given that I'm finally going to be volunteering, this experience will affect my admissions chances).

I can't answer all of your questions, but I would say not to list activities for the upcoming year, since they haven't happened yet. I have heard that secondaries often ask what you will be doing during the gap year if not in school. If they don't, you can always send them an update letter or two explaining any recent exciting things you've done.

quick question... I have an organic synthesis paper that I co-authored pending publication right now, submitted it early May, so I probably won't know for another month or so if the journal has accepted it. My pre-health advisor told me to wait to submit my AMCAS until I know the status of my paper. However, I do have another publication that I'm first author on. It was for the ACS Club at my school, and it won a $1000 grant for the club. I also presented it at an ACS National Meeting in Salt Lake City. The only downside is that its an educational paper outlining activities that would help elementary school aged children learn general chemistry.

blah blah blah, my point is should I wait on my other publication? I feel that my first publication isn't as significant because it's related to my extracurricular activities and my community outreach program rather than my research.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

quick question... I have an organic synthesis paper that I co-authored pending publication right now, submitted it early May, so I probably won't know for another month or so if the journal has accepted it. My pre-health advisor told me to wait to submit my AMCAS until I know the status of my paper. However, I do have another publication that I'm first author on. It was for the ACS Club at my school, and it won a $1000 grant for the club. I also presented it at an ACS National Meeting in Salt Lake City. The only downside is that its an educational paper outlining activities that would help elementary school aged children learn general chemistry.

blah blah blah, my point is should I wait on my other publication? I feel that my first publication isn't as significant because it's related to my extracurricular activities and my community outreach program rather than my research.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

I am in the same shoes. We are just about to submit a second revision of a first author back to the journal here in a week. We might know right away if we addressed the comments specifically enough to get in, we might not know for another month or two. Hell, we might even get the boot of rejection.

I think the general consensus is NOT to wait and just submit ASAP. For me there is just too much variability in what will happen and how long it might take for that to happen. If I did wait, got the accepted letter, all in a short period of time, that would be SWEET and definently bump my app. Then again, if I risk it, wait, get the shaft or it takes the journal forever, I am now behind by a month or two, without anything to show for it. Risk is too great for me.

Thanks man, I think that's the better idea, I was mildly surprised when my advisor told me to wait. It would suck big time if I waited and it didn't get accepted, but it would be nice to have on my app if it did....

btw, I recognize you from the may 22nd mcat forum. I'm taking it this thursday, wish I took it on the 22nd, looks like the test had a lot of orgo on it, plus I could be drunk and barbequing right now instead of reviewing physics formulas. oh well.

Unrelated question here -

If an mstp school does not have rolling admissions, is it safe to assume that it is not entirely necessary to apply as early as possible, as it is with rolling admissions schools? For example, does it make sense to wait until august 2nd (omg) when I get my mcat results to submit my application to the more reach-y schools?

Even without the worry of rolling admissions, applying late may confer disadvantages since interview spots fill quickly.

Even without the worry of rolling admissions, applying late may confer disadvantages since interview spots fill quickly.

do you think aug 2 for completion of primary would cut out interview spots? maybe i'll just save that later date for the crazy schools like harvard and johns hopkins. that is, if i get like a 40 or something crazy. ha.

Another question on papers - is there any way to put on a pub that is in press? I have one that has been accepted so I already know it's status, but on the AMCAS thing for pubs they want a date. I tried to enter Dec 09 and then put in the explanation that it is in press still but it wouldn't let me. I really do want to list it as a separate activity instead of under my "research from that lab" activity - any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

Another question on papers - is there any way to put on a pub that is in press? I have one that has been accepted so I already know it's status, but on the AMCAS thing for pubs they want a date. I tried to enter Dec 09 and then put in the explanation that it is in press still but it wouldn't let me. I really do want to list it as a separate activity instead of under my "research from that lab" activity - any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

for the date just put when it got accepted, and then describe that it's in press for the X volume, etc.

I'm not yet done with my personal statement, but it seems like it's going to be well shy of the 5,300 character mark. More like 3,500. Is this kosher? I could see that as being interpreted as skimpy or as a blessed relief by application reviewers.

Cheers!

I'm not yet done with my personal statement, but it seems like it's going to be well shy of the 5,300 character mark. More like 3,500. Is this kosher? I could see that as being interpreted as skimpy or as a blessed relief by application reviewers.

Cheers!

I would suggest writing more substantial material (not fluff) in your essay to get closer to the 5,300 mark. Think about it like this - if someone on the adcoms gave you 15 minutes to explain why you should be accepted to their MD/PhD program and you gave your explanation in half the time, you wouldn't appear that enthusiastic or committed to the program. Same idea here ... maybe go on to discuss what you would like to accomplish after graduating from the program or how you plan on using your degrees to advance research and medicine.

Responding to things I disagree with or were never answered...

Think about it like this - if someone on the adcoms gave you 15 minutes to explain why you should be accepted to their MD/PhD program and you gave your explanation in half the time, you wouldn't appear that enthusiastic or committed to the program.

If your explanation only took 2 minutes, it only took 2 minutes. Adcoms have to read a ton of these essays, and appreciate brevity due to the volume. The reality is that a lot of adcoms don't read or skim your essays due to time concerns, but the essays still have to be in good shape for the adcoms who actually do read them. I strongly disagree with your advice and have had this conversation with several adcoms who would agree. Don't fill in essays to their limits just because the limit is set higher than you need.

CielloStelatto said:
do you think aug 2 for completion of primary would cut out interview spots? maybe i'll just save that later date for the crazy schools like harvard and johns hopkins. that is, if i get like a 40 or something crazy. ha.

No. Most of the secondaries will be going out around then anyways. Even if you got your primary in as early as possible you probably wouldn't have invites by then.

not respect said:
When you apply MD/PhD on AMCAS it makes you choose a concentration for the PhD, is this just what you think you would prefer, or is there some kind of effect this would have on your application (like, if you get an interviewer someone from that department will interview you, or something)?

It's what you think you would prefer. For most schools this doesn't really make any difference, though at Penn for example they'll invite you to interview with the other students in your group. Your safest bet is to go with something you've done or closely related to what you've done. You can almost always switch once you're in anyways. For interviews you'll typically be invited before the interview to select your research interviewers. I would stay away from marking anything atypical (implying you intend to switch into engineering or social science), unless you are that atypical applicant who has been doing that stuff.

CielloStellato said:

Any thoughts?

There's no right answer to this. But I would be sure to at least mention all your experiences in your essay. Never assume an adcom will look at both your primary and secondary. MD/PhD applications are large and time is short. Never assume an adcom will even read all your essays. They might look at your research essay and get the impression you did less research than you really did if you didn't mention the research experience and the amount of time you did each experience. As for how in depth to go on each thing, there's no right answer. My usual advice is to be sure to mention at least every research experience you've had (say a semester or summer or longer), how much time you invested in it, and what your role was.

Last edited:
I'm applying to MSTP too! I'm a little concerned though because I'm going to be taking a later MCAT. I'm doing my Master's degree right now, and I won't finish my lab work for a while (I'm in France), and the earliest I can get back to the US to take the exam is in July.

My plan is as follows, feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

1) Submit my AMCAS mid-June, but only select one school (for MD only). This will get the ball rolling on the verification process

2) Take MCATS July 17 (or possibly July 30, depending on when I get back to the US)

3) Work exclusively on my MD/PhD essay and research essay after the MCATs, and resubmit AMCAS with my list of MD/PhD school within two weeks.

I realize my MCAT dates are late, but there's not much I can do about it now. I feel confident I can do well if I can focus hard on it over the next 8 weeks.

Also, just out of curiosity, how many programs are other people applying to? I have a long list at the moment, because I feel like the odds are ridiculous.

Is anyone applying to MD/PhD some places, and just MD at others?

Good luck!

In general, these dates mean you will get your score back in early to mid august. Is that too late?

Yeah, it isn't ideal, but I won't be able to take it earlier. I am just hoping that if my application is verified and submitted, hopefully as soon as the scores roll-out I will be ready to go.

I just hope it doesn't screw me over too much- I have already submitted my transcripts and all but one of my letters of rec have made it into my pre-med advising office. I won't be early, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too late.

I'd like to bump these questions.

^I'm curious as well. How much clinical experience is needed for MSTP? I'll probably be doing 3-5 hours of volunteering/week because I feel better suited spending my time on other activities (research, 1/2 clubs, running an NPO)

I'm also wondering about choosing a PhD concentration on AMCAS. Is it ok to select more than one if they all relate to your research interests? I'm thinking about genetics, cell, molecular, and neuroscience

I'm also wondering about choosing a PhD concentration on AMCAS. Is it ok to select more than one if they all relate to your research interests? I'm thinking about genetics, cell, molecular, and neuroscience

What a good question! I have the same one.

I would really like to select 2. Mine would be molecular and mico/ID. I can't see the big problem with it because for mine, many schools have the department of Molecular Micro. So it would seem fine to select both molecular and micro. But that is just my thought/hope.

How much would you say clinical experience matters for admission to MD-PhD programs/MSTPs, especially if you're planning to pursue a career predominantly or mostly in research?

Clinical experience is important. You need to have some. That being said, it is MUCH less important than research at all of the MSTPs I encountered. High school counts (my only clinical xp was 50 hours from high school, which was fine for most schools in my experience), but if you can get in the clinical xp this summer, make sure to put it on your application, even if its ongoing.

Would it help my chances if I portray myself as someone purely interested in medically relevant research, rather than patient care (when in reality both interest me very much)?

No, that would be a bad idea. You need to poytray yourself as interested in both. If you have little clinical xp and you say you're not interested in patient care, they will just tell you to go get a PhD.

Finally, am I correct that I should be listing the activities I'm going to be doing during my upcoming gap year (working in a new lab, volunteering at the Children's hospital) in the Work/Activities section of AMCAS, even if they have yet to start?

Yes, list them. But make sure that you follow through, because you will likely be asked about them in interviews.

How much clinical experience is needed for MSTP?

There really isn't a magic number that I know of. It's less about quantity and more about quality. As long as you can talk about meaningful experiences you've had, you'll probably be fine. You should probably try to get at least 50/100 hours under your belt. A 5 hours a week for the summer and into the school year should do it if you haven't started yet. Remember that you can include things like volunteering in a nursing home, which I ended up doing to offset the fact that my last "real" clinical xp was in high school.

I'm also wondering about choosing a PhD concentration on AMCAS. Is it ok to select more than one if they all relate to your research interests?

I don't see a problem with choosing 2 if they are similar, but choosing 4 could make you seem unfocused. Then again, everyone knows that they are pretty much all the same thing at the end of the day, so maybe they won't care. I don't see a benefit in putting a whole crapton of PhD concentrations, so maybe sticking to 1-2 is best?

I would really like to select 2.

Go for it.

If I missed any of the unanswered questions, ask again and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

I'm also wondering about choosing a PhD concentration on AMCAS. Is it ok to select more than one if they all relate to your research interests?

I chose around 4-6 wildly unrelated PhD programs for each school. Usually immunology, biomedical engineering, cell bio, and whatever else they had that was interesting. To find your research interests, they read your essay, not this checklist. I'm pretty sure no one looked at my choices on AMCAS ever. That applies to most of the random nonsense they make you do.

The only things that were consistently mentioned in interviews were my "research summary" essay and "why md-phd" essay. In my opinion, those two essays, your MCAT, your GPA, your research experience, 1-2 of your "biggest" extracurricular involvements and your interview performance (ability to discuss research + reasons/motivation for doing MD/PhD) are all people look at/care about. Don't stress the small stuff.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad you can put down more than one PhD field, because I definitely wanted to do infectious/micro as well as the general cell/molecular. Also, I'm pretty stoked because the paper that was in press just came out last week! (man, I know it's the nerdiest thing ever to say but it was pretty awesome to put my name into the search bar on Pubmed and have something show up.)

A couple of questions:

1. Is there any list of secondary questions specifically for MD/PhD analogous to the list on the pre-allo forum that we can start working on? How likely is it that the questions will change from year to year?

2. Is there a personal statement reader list for MD/PhD or if we want ours read do we just bug the pre allo readers list?

thanks!