housing location in baltimore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sechen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i matched into the program in baltimore and is in the process of locating an apartment for the next four years. safety and convenience are my major concerns, and my budget would allow me to pay more than what i originally have in mind. i have heard about mount vernon, federal hills and fells points are the nices areas to look for housing. what about canton? what areas should i avoid? and how is the car insurance rate in baltimore? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there

I'm going to be in Baltimore next year too! Decent places depend on where you're going to be working. Which hospital(s) will you be working in?

Hey, I'll be in Baltimore too (Hopkins), and addition to good areas does anyone know any good realtors/lenders that may be associated with hospitals or have good deals for residents?

Thanks...

hi biglers,
if you have the names of the realtors, do u mind passing them along to me. thanks.

"Sail Cloth Factory apts are nice. I had a lot of friends who lived there when I was in Med School. U of MD is just around the corner. It's easily accessible to MLK Blvd too, which would be the feeder right into your hospital. There are a couple others in that area that are also nice. The Greenhouse is one I remember offhand. Just a few blocks from Sailcloth. I also had friends in Marlboro Square and Inner Harbor Lofts. My mom says new ones have even opened up in the area, signs that Baltimore is improving I hope. Also, MGH is right on the edge of Mt Vernon and there are plenty of safe high rises in that area. There was always this one I saw that looked like it was straight out of melrose place. It looked great from the outside. Off of Light Street I believe. The benefits of living in the ones around the med school area is that it's easy access to the inner harbor, fells point, federal hill, etc."

I have to disagree with the Sailcloth. I was just in Baltimore and found the Sailcloth to be rundown and not really that nice. I was able to check out the Redwood (across the street from Maryland), the Waterloo- in Mt Vernon (very weird setup but big apartments, kind of old), Pierside- opposite of the inner harbor but right on the water, Munsey (high rise, refurbished office building)- financial district 2 miles from Hopkins, 3 blocks from Inner Harbor. Hopkins has a realtor they work with, call Lynda Miller. (Sechen-left you an email, don't know if you got it.)

CA1 2003- Hopkins

thanks DOC:)

has anyone looked yet? i'm planning on moving up there in may...5/1...or maybe sooner.

thanks all,

tim

Hey Doctim;

I will be up there looking for a place on May 9.

-Pgy 2 PM&R Johns Hopkins

how long is everone waiting before moving to their PGY1 destination?

i plan on being there 1 - 2 months in advance to get everything set up.

may be in interested in a roommate situation...been a long time though...have had my own place for >6 years....would be willing to try as i will only be in baltimore for one year.....just thinking out loud...:confused:

bump...

anyone else with input???

am moving soon

peace

i used to live in the charles towers on charles street and saratoga.... 700-800 for a onebedroom... safe/clean, parking is another 160-170 a month and you are in walking distance to mt. vernon and the inner harbor... would recommend it for anybody in baltimore - plus if you get a south/harbor view from a high floor (above 15th) you will have a greeeaaattt view

got my residency package today, which included some housing info. some residents at MGH live at Sutton Place. Anyone care to comment???

also found another web site that might be helpful

http://www.livebaltimore.com/living_downtown.html

peace

I was just going to suggest the livebaltimore website but you beat me to it.

For those that don't mind not being right downtown, and like a more suburban feel (houses with yards & trees), there are a lot of great and affordable neighborhoods in NE Baltimore. Check out Gardenville, Hamilton, & Greater Lauraville. There are a lot of places where you can rent an apt in a home. These areas are in the city, just not downtown, and are close to everything.

Beth
(Baltimore native)

anyone going to baltimore and considering a roommate?