Umich class of 2007... go BLUE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodMonkey

sproutmobile
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
who's joining me?! :clap:

i'm moving to ann arbor in july... when's everyone else coming? i'm a little bit older and am looking into buying a condo in a2 rather than doing the apts near the hospital, i think. i'm familiar w/the area as i did my ugrad at umich.

if anyone has ann arbor questions, i'd be happy to try to answer them. :)

see you in august! (or sooner, perhaps!) :clap: :cool:

anyone wanna help me move a piano? :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow future MI!

I'll be joining you in a move sometime in July. Do you recommend anywhere to live? Originally I was planning on doing the med ghetto thing but I was reading renter feed-back and it sounds like a hell-hole (paper thin walls.. as in you could have a conversation with your upstairs neighbor without either of you leaving your apts, bugs, not friendly/helpful management, and general renter dissatisfaction). I guess the name should have said it all :). I would like to live within walking distance of the med school. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help and I look forward to seeing you in Ann Arbor!

hello bear25 and congrats on umich. :)

i'm a bit biased about ann arbor housing and i plan on living a bit from campus and biking/bussing it. but that's just me. i was actually looking into neighborhoods in the old west side and the northeastern parts of town. i'm looking prematurely, i know. :) anyway, here's my $0.02.... i can give more info if you want specific details.

island drive apts/med center court/maiden lane apts are ... well, convenient. and there are lots of science phd students and med students there. if walking distance is your primary motivation, this may be your best option... the apts aren't too horrible, but still a bit icky (in my opinion at least). some people like them (i have a friend who is a phd student and has lived there for 3 years now and is fine with it), but for the most part, housing really near the med campus leaves a bit to be desired. they just built a bunch of new little condos and townhomes down there, but they're really spendy and i think already all sold.

i would stay away from the student ghetto on that part of town as well (there are a couple of "student ghettos" around the umich ugrad campus - one on the north side by the med and nursing schools and one on the south side) where housing is, well ... icky. and expensive. the north side is reasonable walking distance though.

commuting from other parts of ann arbor is always an option, however, parking is wretched. and if you can get it, it's hella expensive. the bus system to the med campus is pretty reliable, in my opinion, but if you'd rather walk, you may have to sacrifice a bit in terms of a nicer place to live.

for nearby biking distance and right on the umich busline, i'd recommend something up by north campus or in the northern neighborhoods. if you're willing to spend some $$ - kerrytown is nearby and really cool, but good, reasonably priced housing there is hard to come by. the northwest neighborhoods aren't too bad either. but again, biking or bussing or trying to park may rule that out for you.

are you from michigan? are you familiar w/the ann arbor area?
this is a long post, i know. just wanted to get a thread going for finding out a bit about my future classmates! see you this summer! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY GOODMONKEY!!!
glad to hear you'll be coming to ann arbor after all! I think you told me once that we're the same age! both graduated in 99!

hey bear25, island drive is not THAT bad. it's definitely liveable and better than most of the apartments found on central campus.

hey goodmonkey, check out this brand new condo community for 2 br/2ba places starting at 155k. click on the virtual tour!
http://www.ndchomes.com/communities/comm_page.asp?CID=258

I'll be up maybe in mid july! see ya guys then!
dave

Originally posted by laviddee
YAY GOODMONKEY!!!
glad to hear you'll be coming to ann arbor after all! I think you told me once that we're the same age! both graduated in 99!

hey bear25, island drive is not THAT bad. it's definitely liveable and better than most of the apartments found on central campus.

hey goodmonkey, check out this brand new condo community for 2 br/2ba places starting at 155k. click on the virtual tour!
http://www.ndchomes.com/communities/comm_page.asp?CID=258

I'll be up maybe in mid july! see ya guys then!
dave

ooh laviddee you're right... island drive is MUCH better than some of the absolute hovels found on central campus. i shudder to remember some of the crack houses i lived in as an undergrad.

those condos look pretty stinking nice... but aren't they kinda far away? out pontiac trail? anyway, it's all gonna depend on whether or not i can muster up a reasonable down payment. and even then i'm gonna have to find a roommate.

i graduated december 99. :)

I'll be checking out the housing soon!

I'm real excited about all the fun of moving! :rolleyes:

Hello people :)

Do you guys know what we need to submit for financial aid by March 29th? I've already sent them the electronic FAFSA and the Umich online application. Is there anything else?

On the checklist pdf it says I should turn in any worksheets I used for the FAFSA. Is that only for the paper version or for the electronic one too?

I emailed the financial aid office like twice and I've been ignored both times. What's going on there? :confused: :(

An M1 from Umich called me and left a message offering to answer my questions, but since the email address he gave me doesn't exist... I'll ask them here. :rolleyes: :D

Is Island Drive one of the places that's 5 minutes walking distance from the school? And how much is the rent there? Also, I heard that there are on-campus housing available too. Why don't more people use that option?

Can anyone tell me more about the new curriculum? I was reading the website and there is something about visiting families and learning to make diagnoses based on the individual context of the family members. Does anyone have more information on that, like how often we will be doing it, etc? Also, there is something where M1's train with actors to improve clinical skills. Is that in addition to the family thing?

There doesn't seem to be much detail about the curriculum itself. I know that two years ago classes were 9-5 everyday. That's probably changed, but I can't find any sources for info. Does anyone have any information on a sample weekly schedule, in terms of when lectures are held, if there are time for small groups, how much time per week is devoted to visiting families and training with actors, etc?

During the clinical years, is there any flexibility in terms of the order of rotations?

I heard that getting in-state tuition (by changing residency status to Michigan) is pretty difficult if you are originally from out of state. Is this true?

SP

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
Hello people :)

Do you guys know what we need to submit for financial aid by March 29th? I've already sent them the electronic FAFSA and the Umich online application. Is there anything else?

On the checklist pdf it says I should turn in any worksheets I used for the FAFSA. Is that only for the paper version or for the electronic one too?

I emailed the financial aid office like twice and I've been ignored both times. What's going on there? :confused: :(

hey-
yeah the online FAFSA and the online umich app are the big ones, i believe. if you or your parents used any additional FAFSA worksheets (A, B or C) then they're apparently required, too. I used the student worksheet B (because i had fellowship money from grad school that counted as income) and my dad used worksheet C (because he had non-taxed income shunted to his retirement plan) and so i just printed those off the online FAFSA site and filled in the numbers by hand. i then mailed these to the fin aid office. i hope this is sufficient... i haven't had any complaints yet.

if you are chosen for the FAFSA audit, there is additional stuff to be sent (copies of the 1040s used, i believe) ... but i wasn't audited by the FAFSA peeps, so i don't know much about this one.

so SP u coming to umich fo' sho' ? or still holding onto that columbia waitlist spot or wherever it was.... ? :p

Thanks g$. I sent the worksheet info in the email but they never respond to me so I think I better send them paper copies. :rolleyes:

Per your other question, I cannot respond here for fear of Dean Frantz reading this forum. :p

They told me that I did not need to send the worksheets.

hey folks,
i just talked with mary joe, a financial aid counselor at u of m, and she said that we don't have to mail in those worksheets.
as long as you filled in all of the fafsa and the u of m online application you are set. she said that if there's anything more that they need, they will contact you.

SP- you gotta come to michigan!!! I'll try to answer what i can.
for housing- yes Island drive is like a 10-15min walk depending on how far you live within the complex. it's usually less than $500 per person if you have a roommate in a 2br/1ba apt. If you get a single 1br/1ba then it's around 900 bucks. They also do have effiencies and studios but i don't know the pricing on those.

websites that may answer some of your questions...
for on campus housing:
http://www.housing.umich.edu/graduate/living.html
but i'd totally recommend getting a roommate and living at island drive. NO FUN living in north campus housing and I don't think there's parking either. I also think it's more expensive and you WOULD have to take a bus instead of walking to class.

There also is phi rho housing:
http://www.umich.edu/~phirho/prospectives/index.htm

for off campus apartments:
http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/students/housing.htm
they also have a search service where you can post in a forum if you want to find a roommate.

on family centered involvement-- probably part of the new curriculum and the ITTP (intro to the patient) .
http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2003/familycenter.htm

yes once you are out of state- you are OUT of state. but they have great financial aid. according to my notes from the fin aid seminar-- you are responsible for $8500 sub loans, EFC, & $12k in unsub loans, and then the remaining need- mich will provide 65% as a grant. ?!?

total hours of week- this is what i've heard. they used to be 9-5. but are now going to be 10 hours of lecture/wk and 10 hours of labs/small group discussions..

wow i wrote a lot! sorry! any other questions???

Thanks for the info GoodMonkey!

No, I'm not from Michigan so it's pretty hard for me to get over there to look at housing options. I will probably be flying out from CA sometime in April or early May to try to find something.

I'm a little confused about the "med/student ghetto" thing. Is Island Dr apts considered the ghetts or is that something else entirely? Do you know how much it costs a month?

I'm thinking since I will probably be there for 5 years (MD/MPH) that I should at least look into buying a condo. Do you know approx how much a condo would cost?
Thanks for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Bear25
Thanks for the info GoodMonkey!

No, I'm not from Michigan so it's pretty hard for me to get over there to look at housing options. I will probably be flying out from CA sometime in April or early May to try to find something.

I'm a little confused about the "med/student ghetto" thing. Is Island Dr apts considered the ghetts or is that something else entirely? Do you know how much it costs a month?

I'm thinking since I will probably be there for 5 years (MD/MPH) that I should at least look into buying a condo. Do you know approx how much a condo would cost?
Thanks for all of your help.

laviddee is a fount of info, too! :) look at the above post for info on the cost of island drive stuff -- it's pretty accurate, according to a friend of mine who lives there.

there is a whole diff "med student ghetto" which is not to be confused with the "student ghetto." the reg ol' student ghetto is in reference to undergrads for the most part. if you're coming out from california, you will likely be able to find what you're looking for apt-wise in a weekend if you want to be in the island drive area. (island drive apts/med center court/maiden lane/etc) and there are a couple of other smaller apt complexes near there as well. it's all w/in walking distance.

condos.... ann arbor is not a cheap town in which to reside, given it's not that big. a condo can run you anywhere from about $75K (if you live far away near like ypsilanti and in a not-so-stellar place) to upwards of $300K in the foo-foo developments and the downtown area. median range for a 2br/2ba is prolly around $170K. that's just a guess, though, based on some of my searching... check out some real estate agents and buyers agents in the area for a much better figure. i've priced some out between $115K and $150K (my price range, for the most part) but i'm willing to take a bus or bike and i don't actually want to be within walking distance, really. just a personal preferance. :)

hope that helps. :D

btw - did anyone else notice we have like 200 freaking views and about 5 of us talking amongst ourselves? stoopid lurkers. :p

If I come out to Mich in Mid-May, will I be able to lease one of the apartments near the school, or will it be too late? Should I try to find a roommate before, or do they do some random thing? Random seems scary [to me]...

i don't know about everyone else, but i got an email about a month or so ago that had a link where a current med student put together some housing info for next fall. on it, i believe, was a way for incoming students to match up with potential roommates.... but my memory could be serving me wrong here. i can't access the email at the moment (i'm at work) but someone else may have it and may be able to dig it up......?

here's the link for the bulletin board:

www-personal.umich.edu/~nahuja/

I'm probably coming to UMich. Thanks for all the info on housing from everyone. Here's a stupid transportation question - do lots of people bike in the winter? I'm used to biking a lot out here in CA, but wimpy little me just imagines it'll be absolutely freezing, especially given the additional breeze on the bike. Also, do I need to do anything in particular to my car to adapt it to cold weather conditions? Do I need a cold-weather tune up or something? And do you need snow tires? Haha, I think I look pretty paranoid about the weather.

yeah GM,
here ya go.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nahuja/

then at the top, there's a link for the class of 2007

jacob- you should try to secure housing early if you can. Most of the leases don't end until august so you'll probably have to sublease from May to august and then lease again starting in august.

try calling island drive at (734) 662-2950 and see if they have anything though that might be opening up in mid may.. they also do have their own roomate finder thing where they can let you know if anyone else needs a roommate.

hey feel free to pm me for my phone # if you have questions that you want answered over the phone ok?
dave

Hey future competitors, er, I mean peers

Yeah, I second a thanks for all the housing info provided. If I had any to share, I would gladly do so.

So there's no other apartments walking distance from the med school besides the Island Drive ones? Bummer.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info laviddee. You got so much school pride... it's so funny man. :laugh: If I hang around you too much I'm probably gonna start going to class with my face painted in blue and gold... yelling out "GO WOLVERINES!" randomly. Sounds good :)

gah! lemme clarify... there are indeed apts within walking distance to the med school other than island drive/med center court!!!! there are!!! :) you will just have to actually look for them, rather than rely on the easy and convenient ones we've mentioned already. there are a few complexes out fuller ave. there are some in the ugrad student-y area in the northern part of campus. there are a ton of old houses that are broken up into apts. there are houses to rent RIGHT BY the med center. kerrytown is within reasonable walking distance. what's important here, is that finding a good deal on something not sketchy somewhere like that is going to take a little more work. it also depends on how much $$ you're working with. you will want to do more general housing searches if you don't wanna live at the island drive area. but trust me when i say that there **are** other options out there.

more ann arbor housing random info: you are going to be hard-pressed to find anything for fall 03 that isn't a shared room in some guy's house or an overpriced efficiency in a shady converted home if you don't start at least looking soon. there are always people looking for roommates, but if you're picky about where you want to live and you know you want to go to umich, they start signing leases for the fall term like yesterday. that's the way the rental market works around the campus area. a bit further away and it's not as competitive to get something good and you can get more for your $. take home advice is to start poking around as soon as you decide you're going to ann arbor.

mystic-b: re weather... my friend moved from so-cal to ann arbor a few years back and she was astounded by the weather change. (she was picking b/w umich and dook and felt the climate would be comparable or something) you could ride your bike in the winter (if it has snow tires) and some people do... but we get snow here. and often, lots of it. if you are far from the med center, you're gonna be taking a bus or driving or just walking a hella long way in the winter. get some boots. a big winter coat. hat. mittens. scarf. :D and there is nothing you can really do to prep your car for winter in michigan ... just keep in mind that it does get COLD here. :D

Thanks for the insight, GoodMonkey! I'll be sure to bring my earmuffs and hat and winter coat. Wait, I don't really own that sort of thing. :)

SP, I share your thoughts on Laviddee's enthusiasm entirely. It's pretty cool to have a cheerleader like him. :)

Thanks G$, your words are encouraging

Looks like I'll have to be taking a road trip to Ann Arbor in the near future, time to pay my uncle another visit

Anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm clean and I cook ;)

crazyA-- glad to see you've joined our legion! :)

haha, i, too, will be more than likely looking for a roommate... no lease-signing required, as i'm gonna buy, i believe. although, i'm prolly gonna be away from campus a little bit (see earlier posts). i'm starting to poke around the real estate market, getting pre-approved for mortgages, etc... i'm fortunate that i'm only about an hour outside of ann arbor right now, so i can look around whenever and i could commute if necessary (meaning a great find earlier than i wanted to move originally.)

non-smoking female who doesn't mind small pets preferred, but gender is negotiable. :D

Hi,

I too will be joining you all in the fall. I`ll probably be moving there in late July, but there is a small possibility for earlier if other stuff falls through. I don`t know about you, but I`m pumped. I, too, am a bit concerned about the housing situation/parking (if neccessary). I`m in Japan right now, but I plan on going to Ann Arbor in late April or Early May to figure it all out. I was hoping to get a place in the medical gheto or some other place within walking distance of the school, although now I am curious how bad the apartments are. If anyone is interested in roomming together let me know. Pretty much my only standard is no pets and moderate cleanliness.

Take care and look forward to meeting you all in August.

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
-smoking female who doesn't mind small pets preferred, but gender is negotiable. :D

Pick me! Pick me! ;)

I'm pretty much giving up hope of ever being you's guys's classmate. :( Wich sucks, because a lot of awesome SDNers are ending up at UMich. Have fun guys! :D

~Woots

Woots, don't give up hope! Lots (I mean tons) of the entering class will come off of the waitlist. Also, I just declined my spot (I know laviddee, I can't believe it either) so there's one more shot that you'll get in.

About housing..... the "white coat ghetto" is not exactly a great location, unless you have a car and plan on dealing with ****ty ann arbor parking. My suggestion- there are lots of places on Ann and Catherine streets between Glen and State- lots of grad/professional students live there, along with the quieter undergrads. It's a very neighborhood-like feel, close walking distance to the med school, and close walking distance to the store/restaurants/bars of State St. It'll give you a taste of what living in Ann Arbor is supposed to be like.

Best of luck to all of you. My four years at Michigan have been incredible, and I am sure that you will all enjoy it just as much as I have.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Woots32
Pick me! Pick me! ;)

I'm pretty much giving up hope of ever being you's guys's classmate. :( Wich sucks, because a lot of awesome SDNers are ending up at UMich. Have fun guys! :D

~Woots

woots.... mgoblue is right.... TONS of people come off that waitlist and they haven't even begun the movement yet. start being sad around july, not march! there is still time! lots of time! :)

whoo HOO and my family decided to help me out an eensy teensy bit so i can squeak by a down payment and closing costs on a place. :clap: there is hope for the po' folk! looks like no white coat ghetto for me either!

on the idea of the ann/catherine street housing opps: yeah there are some nice ones. yeah there are some shady ones. goes back to my original - you're gonna have to look if you wanna find it.

So if there are any moderately-clean males here looking for roommates, let me know. I can easily visit Ann Arbor on weekends to look at places.

Hey Sunny, are you a guy or a girl?

And Woots, please chill, there's so much time left. We're all pulling for you.

I`m a male (22 in September). I`m pretty good when it comes to cleanliness. PM me Crazy A if you want to discuss rooming further. My internet access is infrequent over the next 5 days, so dont`t expect a quick response.

Sunny, I pm'd you.

I'm a patient man, respond whenever.

and woots... u let me know WHEN you're pulled off that waitlist and we can talk roommates. :D

i am SO gonna have an SDN party this summer when i finally move. :laugh: patio party here we come! :D

Originally posted by marakah2
anyone? i was hoping someone could help me out since it seems that everyone knows more about this whole thing than me

uh, since we're all going to umich in the fall, it would seem that we don't know about their deferral policy ... moreover, i'm guessing it's a case-by-case basis ... none of us are deferring, thus none of us have called the admissions office to inquire about the policy. maybe you should call them. :)

PARTY at goodmonkeys! I'll be there with my flip flops, tank top, nothing really fancy, sipping bacardi's like it's your birthday!

Mgoblue you're totally missing out man! but ya gotta do what you have to do, and at least you've already experienced life here at michigan.
Marakah- DEFER?? call into the admissions office and ask em about it. they're so helpful there! But can i put my .02 here? JOIN US and be merry!!! doesn't the "class of 2007" just roll off of your tongue a LOT better than the class of 2008? besides, this winter is supposed to be sunny and at a constant 70 degrees.

hurry up and find housing folks!!! honestly, for those of you who are far away and can't come here and look for apartments, just sign up for a place at island drive. they are really nice for a student and they're affordable. Ghetto- is totally an overexaggeration!
well i'm here in the LRC right now! I had to come to AA to pick out countertops, cabinets, and flooring today, what a headache!-- anyone else thinking about moving into the same condo community???

we should make a list of who's coming when! Gmoney- make one up for us!
May-
Sunnys81

July-
Gmoney
laviddee

laviddee -- so you are for sure moving into those condos you suggested to me on pg 1? i'm getting pre-approved for a mortgage next week and am going to start looking around soon. i've done some online stuff.... not too much yet though. i liked the virtual tour of the ones you suggested, but the location isn't exactly where i wanna be. there are some co-op townhomes out in geddes lake (like less than a mile from the med school) that i'm seriously considering ... they're around $125K 2b/2ba and they're being rezoned or something into condos. hm. interesting. i'm also looking at small houses, but in my price range, things go quickly. i'll keep ya posted. :) and you get to pick out counters and flooring? man, that must be a brand STINKIN' new complex of 'em out there. i will def. consider it... who to contact if i'm interested? ?

AND--
i love how there are like 700 views on this stinker and what, 6 of us talking to ourselves? LURKERS!!!! COME OUT OF HIDING!!! TALK TO US, WE'RE NOT SCARY!!!! :) :)

i love how there are like 700 views on this stinker and what, 6 of us talking to ourselves? LURKERS!!!! COME OUT OF HIDING!!! TALK TO US, WE'RE NOT SCARY!!!! :) :)

I'm just lurking because I'm curious what next years class is like. (I'm currently an M1 at Michigan.)

Waitlistees - I was pulled off the list in early June, so just be patient. The list really is active.

btw - I live in Fuller apartments. They have terrible 70's style flower carpet in the common hallways, but it's a 7 minute walk from my front door to my seat in West Lecture hall. Also, the indside of the apartments is not bad, and it's cheaper than Island Drive. If anyone has any questions about them (or anything else), feel free to PM me.

AND-- i love how there are like 700 views on this stinker and what, 6 of us talking to ourselves? LURKERS!!!! COME OUT OF HIDING!!! TALK TO US, WE'RE NOT SCARY!!!! :) :)

:p :p :p

Trust me, I'll be chiming in just as soon as I can. ;)

I'm calling the admissions office Monday, because the website says you can call after March 30th to "find your relative place on the waitlist."

So wish me luck. :D

so how does one go about getting in that island drive place? and how early should i be thinking about that?

the thing is that i am planning on going to michigan but i'm still holding out for a few waitlists here in on the east coast. how does this work for getting housing? how long should i wait?

looking forward to meeting everyone!

Originally posted by punkin2
I'm just lurking because I'm curious what next years class is like. (I'm currently an M1 at Michigan.)

hi punkin2... i'm really not a crazed psycho like my posts may suggest. ;) uh, actually don't do a user search on me... :laugh: well when i get there, i'll be the short redhead with spikey hair and a nosering and a lot of freckles. :D

Waitlistees - I was pulled off the list in early June, so just be patient. The list really is active.

WOOTS! you see this!!!? don't give up yet! haha if we roomed together, we'd have a friggin ZOO b/w your pets and mine! :p

and due to a change in boy situation... i'm actually gonna be moving down to ann arbor more like june than july. i'm starting the house-hunt next week. :D

WOOTS! you see this!!!? don't give up yet! haha if we roomed together, we'd have a friggin ZOO b/w your pets and mine! :p

G$ - don't jinx me! :laugh: ;)

Now the date's been changed to April 1, so I guess I'll find out my chances on Wednesday. :p

So don't find a roomie 'till I'm out of it for good! ;)

(And I think Hugie likes my roommate's cat, she just doesn't like him. :) )

Originally posted by Woots32
Now the date's been changed to April 1, so I guess I'll find out my chances on Wednesday.

So don't find a roomie 'till I'm out of it for good! ;)

ooh april 1 is Tuesday! :clap:

i will not be officially commencing the roommate search (except on SDN, of course ;) ) until about july-ish. i'm moving down there in june and then i'm taking most of july completely off to get myself together, get moved in and travel a bit. it would be hella funny if you and i roomed together. oh and my bf is gonna be there for most of the summer and if you're aware of the situation, you will know why the three of us in one house could be funny. ;) if you're not... PM me and i'll fill you in. :D

i figured it would be much easier for me to get somewhere to live first and then find a roommate than try to place myself w/someone, being that i come with pets. keep me posted re: your waitlist status and we can surely chat when you get off it! :)

merlin: if you're planning on renting in ann arbor, i wouldn't wait too long. if you don't have to be on-top of campus, timing isn't as urgent, but if you wanna be w/in walking distance, you should have something secured by june-ish. that's not to say if you hold out till the last second you won't find something... you just may be in a teeny tiny sublet or sharing a room somewhere if you wait that long.

ok, time to stop rambling. :D

Would a few of you share with me why you chose Michigan? I know I'm a late arrival to this website but I'm glad I discovered it - better late than never! I'm trying to decide between Michigan, Duke and Northwestern and I already committed to attend the Duke 2nd Look so I am unable to go to MI, which is the same weekend.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bayo
Would a few of you share with me why you chose Michigan? I know I'm a late arrival to this website but I'm glad I discovered it - better late than never! I'm trying to decide between Michigan, Duke and Northwestern and I already committed to attend the Duke 2nd Look so I am unable to go to MI, which is the same weekend.

Thanks!

SP is right... umich doesn't have a 2nd look, but if you wanna come out for a weekend, the admiss office will set you up w/a student host for the time. plus, there's a big service day on may 4th that all incoming students are invited to attend.

i chose michigan OVER duke and northwestern both, actually. first of all - i hated duke. it just didn't go with me and with my personality. i also didn't like the compressed basic sciences in 1yr. but that's just me. also the class was smaller with a seemingly less diverse age representation. i'll be nearly 26 when i start and there were FAR too many 21y/o there for such a small class and for my taste. :) (oh yeah yuck and i didn't like durham. and i'm a yankee at heart ;) ) but again, that's just me. i chose it over northwestern (a harder decision for me because i really would like to get out of michigan and chicago is awesome) because of cost of living and cost of school issues. for me, michigan is in-state tuition. can't beat a top-ten school for instate tuition, in my opinion. purchasing rather than renting was also more of an option for me in ann arbor. also, michigan's new curriculum includes, if i remember correctly, a thesis requirement and i'm interested in doing some research on the side.

i'm sure there's more, but i can't think of it right now. it's morning and there are donuts waiting for me downstairs in the breakroom! :clap:

There's increased emphasis on clinical training. Several improvements have been made to improve clinical training. First, there is training with paid actors during the 1st year. Second, there are computer programs with interactive video/audio for supplementary training for making diagnoses. Third, I believe they're implementing a new program in which you meet a "sponsor family" every so often so that you can see medicine "in the context of the family".

All of this is in addition to the rigorous training UMich students get as MS3 & MS4's. Michigan is particularly proud of the "residency directors' rating", which rank Michigan in the top 5. Another piece of evidence in support of Michigan's clinical training is that the school is highly ranked not only in the research rankings, but in the primary care rankings as well.

Combining with early clinical exposure in MS1 & MS2, and the rigorous training in MS3 & MS4, Michigan graduates will be well prepared for clinical work. An interesting thing is that there is a thesis requirement, which is evidence that the school hasn't forgotten what has put them near the top.

Lastly, the curriculum was recently redesigned, with the changes I've mentioned. Additional changes include less lecture hours and more group time, clinical practice, meeting with families, etc. during the afternoons.

Now if they can find a way to improve the weather...

GM, how much is the down payment & the monthly rates for a condo? (ballpark figure)

So does anyone have a guess as to why michigan doesn't have a second look weekend? I find it kind of upsetting that nearly every school seems to have one and they don't. I guess I will have to go out there on my own, but I won't be able to talk to anyone. A second look weekend could have done a lot to calm my doubts. It seems strange that they don't care about recruiting the best people to come.

my guess is that they don't want people finding out that it snows during april/may. :D