U. of Michigan Sociology prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at U. of Michigan's website and it says that a 3 semester hours of sociology is required.

http://www.dent.umich.edu/prospective/prerequisites.html

Has anyone applied with missing prerequisites?

How did it turn out?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Michgan two cycles ago. With the breadth of my humanities classes and a second major of psychology (including a social psych class) I had assumed I that at least one of these courses would satisfy the 3 unit requirement. No such luck! Instead, they insisted I take a strict "sociology" course. Since I was in the middle of finishing my masters in bio, it wasn't going to fit well anywhere and was one of the minor reasons that lead me to choose elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Michgan two cycles ago. With the breadth of my humanities classes and a second major of psychology (including a social psych class) I had assumed I that at least one of these courses would satisfy the 3 unit requirement. No such luck! Instead, they insisted I take a strict "sociology" course. Since I was in the middle of finishing my masters in bio, it wasn't going to fit well anywhere and was one of the minor reasons that lead me to choose elsewhere.

so they were gonna take away your admission if you didn't take it?

so they were gonna take away your admission if you didn't take it?

yes, all pre-req's must be completed before matriculation. So, if you are really interested in Michigan, I suggest taking a sociology course. You could probably take it at a cc if you want to since it's a non-science pre-req.

Last year, I was interviewed and got acceptance from Michigan without Microbiology, Sociology and Psychology credits. But, I was still required to finish those courses before the program starts. If you have completed the majority of pre-req courses, you can have an interview and get acceptance, but everyone must complete all the pre-req courses before the class starts.