DAT Done + Breakdown 7/1/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbure9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I’d like to thank all the members here on sdn (and sorry for the long post)I recommend this site to anyone who’s just starting or has already started studying for the DAT. Without the countless hints and pointers people gave me on this forum, I would have been lost come test day.

That said, I hope to give back what I found to be very valuable in my studies: and that is tips, study materials, and a breakdown (as promised)

First, here are my scores:

PAT – 24
QR – 19
RC – 21
Bio – 23
GC – 23
OC – 26
TS – 23
AA – 22

Now for my breakdown/story (I’ll go in order of events on test day):

First of all, I was so scared days leading up to the exam, but I was able to collect myself yesterday and calm down. I had studied long and hard and I knew if I did my best, I’d succeed. You guys have to keep that in mind. I recommend just dropping those books the last couple of days and trying to go to bed early.

My exam was at 9am so I had to get up at 6:30 (Zzzz). Anyway, once I got to the center, my heart was pounding out of my chest. Make sure you guys do your business before you go in! (I remember 1 poster here had to go in the middle of a section… and go during your break! after PAT!) Relax during the tutorial and start when you’re ready

Also, I'd recommend practicing using the lamenated sheets they give you at the test center. I got mine from kaplan, but you can buy it from scienceaide i think!

Sooo… breakdown:

BIO – First question and I don’t know it! AHHHHH. Just mark and stick to your program. Like everyone’s been saying, really random stuff on here. Eventually I got on a role. There were some really easy, direct questions. Two questions, I had to do punnet squares, both were about sex-linked diseases. I was able to finish bio fairly quickly (25 minutes). That left w/ enough time for chem, since I like to take my time with calculations (which there were almost none of – more on this later).
Study Materials – I know it’s like taboo on here, but Destroyer is on the mark guys. I read through Destroyer Bio twice, first time VERY thoroughly and circled things for later. The second time I was much more confident with it. I also recommend the Kaplan subject tests. It doesn’t touch on all the topics, but I think the two combined are the best combination. OH, and I almost forgot! CLIFFS is a MUST too. You’ll probably see questions on evolution and taxonomy, I did. So prepare with Cliffs. I read thru it once fully and kept going over the 5 kingdoms chapter and plants (my weakest areas) a lot of times.

Note: There is a warning sign that comes up when you have 15 min and 5 min left. If someone had told me that prior to the test, it would probably have not FREAKED me out EVERY TIME on EVERY section! So beware lol :D

CHEM – I honestly didn’t have that many calculations at all. I like calculations more than conceptual questions, but I didn’t complain. All the questions were straight forward, nothing was out of the ordinary. Know you’re elements! I know its silly, but they gave me some names and I actually wasn’t sure what the symbol was LOL. Nothing on pH for me. There were some conversions and most of the answers didn’t have you solve out the actual problem (ex. It was like [8*9]/10). So that was definitely helpful for me. Chem on my practice tests took me the longest, and same happened here. I finished it with 35 min left for orgo.
Study Materials – Again destroyer and Kaplan. I’d recommend doing Kaplan tests first, then tackling destroyer. After I did destroyer and was getting 36-37/40 I felt really really confident. But remember, destroyer is tricky, the test won’t be (at least it wasn’t for me). So if you’re solid with destroyer, you’ll be set. Also, a month ago, I wasn’t sure in a few areas and I watched Chad’s videos (I’ll find the link). They’re really good. I touched up in areas I was shaky on and I’d recommend it to you guys. Also, if you need extra questions, check out prep101. I thought a number of its free chem questions helped me. Plus its always good to have extra questions (I don’t recommend their bio or orgo).

OCHEM – This was my strongest section all the time. But I really had legit problems with it today. Obv my score doesn’t show, but I wasn’t sure of a good 5-6 problems. I had mostly reactions, and I know I got those. Others were NMR and that was fine. Be prepared for the usual stuff. I got a little lucky here with the score I think, but I won’t complain. For orgo, I think if I just studied Kaplan, the reactions would kill me. I had some pretty heavy stuff that I wouldn’t know. Besides for destroyer, if you guys love orgo like myself, try ACS orgo. It’s on par with destroyer in terms of difficulty. But with both you’re golden. If you have destroyer, just stick with it! The first time I did Destroyer orgo I got almost nothing right, but I got really into it as I studied it.

Overall for the sciences, I think destroyer is a must (don't banish me oh-doubters. It's true and you guys know it). Touch up with Kaplan if you can (I’d do this before Destroyer). Make sure you read destroyer through. I had a marble notebook FILLED with notes that I would read about every day leading up to yesterday. I kept things that I thought I’d forget in there and ALL my errors from practice tests. I think that really helped me gain confidence, which is key.

PAT- CDP CDP CDP! If you don’t have this, buy it! I first bought the 5 test version and later upgraded to the 10 test version. They are extremely helpful at finding the right deal for you and were constantly in contact with me when I wasn’t able to download it for some reason. They even called me and entered my computer through some program and opened it for me! (I felt like a computer n00b). Anyway, make sure you don’t try to answer the SAMPLE problems on the DAT. I was sitting on the first keyhole sample for a minute, until I’m like holy ****! LMAO. So yea don’t be an idiot like me.
Here are my CDP scores (I’d recommend doing CDP till the day of the exam, because its easy to forget): 18/20/20/18/25/23/21/24/23/23/22(1st test retake)
So I went up 4 points basically from the first time I took CDP. Personally, I thought test 5 was the easiest of all of them. Test 1 is pretty hard I think. CDP I thought was harder than the DAT PAT turned out. I think CDP is the best marker here and the best practice. It’s the same thing for Keyholes and TFE. Angles, I thought were MUCH easier. Sometimes you just SEE it, and I think it paid off for me. Also, on the dat, you get choices like 1-3-2-4, 3-1-4-2, etc so all you really have to compare are 1 and 3 and 4 and 2 in this example. Others, it evident which one is the biggest angle (or smallest) and there is only one answer that fits (that happened like 4 or 5 times today).
Now hole punching. I was getting 8/15 on CDP until I started drawing the tic-tac-toe grid. It is an awesome method and just makes everything so easy. I drew the chart prior to test during the tutorial and you just make little x’s and erase with your finger when you’re done. I was getting 15/15 on the last 5 CDP tests.
Cubes… CDP goes crazy sometimes with 30-40 cubes! LOL. The most on my exam was 18. But there were about 7 figures (most had only 2 questions per). Again, master CDP cubes and you’ll be fine. No tricks here or “illusions”
I had 19 minutes left for pattern folding! On CDP, at first I would actually run out of time but speed on TFE and keyholes is vital bc you can then breeze thru angles. With pattern, I was able to slow it down and even draw some things out on my scrap. Really happy with my score!

RC - I suck at verbal. I got a 520 on my SAT, but remember this is NOTHING like SAT or MCAT verbal. At first I was for people using 101 MCAT passages, but its useless. Don’t waste your time with it. Sure you’ll get some tone and inference questions, but just stick to your method and you’ll be fine. I used a mix of the Kaplan and search and destroy method :)D). Most of my questions were directly from the passages. Thank god, no piano! Phew. I had a mini panic attack in my first passage. I was 10 minutes in and only had answered one question. But just stick with your gameplan. I was “searching” for a word and only found it in the last paragraph -_-! From there I was on a role as I had the whole passage mapped out. My second passage was about crocodiles and was really interesting actually lol. I was able to breeze through the last two passages.
Also, I tried using CDR and I got 20/18/16!/20. I really didn’t like it. It had ******ed passages. And it’s questions were more like SAT/MCAT than DAT. Stick to Acheiver and TopScore and don’t freak out over RC.

Finally MATH was a bit disappointing. I was scoring well throughout my practice tests and I was rolling thru it. After RC, I had a nice headache going lol, but I just wanted to finish. My advice, don’t slack off! Roll through. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and basically turned my engine off. I still managed to finish math and mark only 4 questions I didn’t know. I must have made serious calculation errors along the way. But a 19, I’ll live with. My advice, get Math Destroyer. Do those tests and you should rock this section. That’s all I used and I thought it was great. It was more challenging than the DAT math.
*as mentioned (thanks GIT..) if math was a 20, my AA would have been a 23* :p

I'll post my Achiever/TopScore scores if you guys want them. Both were very helpful.

Hope this is helpful and I'm around to answer questions about study materials (not whats on the test), etc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excellent job dude!!! How long did you study for and how many hours per day? Nice breakdown btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha. Congrats! And thanks so much for the breakdown.

Hate to break this to you, but if you got a 20 on QR, you would have gotten a 23AA...I'm so sorry for saying that

Excellent job dude!!! How long did you study for and how many hours per day? Nice breakdown btw.

Thanks man appreciate it.
I didn't go overboard. After my classes ended in may, I was finally able to sit down and really study. I'd say since May 8th or so, 4-5 hours.

I started by reading through cliffs. Then I touched up with the videos which as I said were helpful for chem. You guys can use any college level textbook. I did destroyer and read it over and the last two-three weeks I stuck to random material (ACS orgo, looking over destroyer countless times, writing in my marble notebook/reading it) and took Acheiver and TopScore.

I took my last topscore this Sunday and it gave me enough time to relax. That was key I think

Hahaha. Congrats! And thanks so much for the breakdown.

Hate to break this to you, but if you got a 20 on QR, you would have gotten a 23AA...I'm so sorry for saying that

DUDE! I know. My AA is a 22.4 lmao. I didn't know they dont count PAT in the AA. That would have def given me a 23. But what can I do. The percentile was high and I'm just so relieved that I can relax and apply.

I really can't be pissed, but the fact that I breezed thru that math section... I don't know what happened. Don't know where my head was. That test takes a lot out of you.

Good luck btw with your test.. I know its coming up soon.

the calculations u did have on chem, where they hard or very simple?

calculations varied. Most of the answer choices had the formulas with the numbers plugged it, while there were others that made you solve it out.

Congrats man, beautiful scores. I hope I can achieve something like that. :)

Wonderful breakdown, I really hope you get accepted into your top school!

thanks guys. appreciate it. i'm looking into NY area schools btw.

And yea, zzz, but some days I went OD and studied for like 8 hours lol.
I basically had no life for the past month tho where I was taking practice topscore and acheivers and just trying to get ready for the test.

And Jd, in orgo I just had a few uncertainties. Even an IUPAC question had be stumped lol

Last edited:
good job

Must be feeling great. Well its great to see regular SDNers with excellent scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks tsitneD. I'm just happy to have it all over with. That's all i was thinking on come the 3rd passage of the RC to the QR lol.
Now I just have to apply. And we'll go from there

CONGRATSSSSS!!! AMAZING SCORES!! Thanks soo much for the great breakdown. how were you doing on topscore? and math destroyer? what were you usually scoring?

CONGRATSSSSS!!! AMAZING SCORES!! Thanks soo much for the great breakdown. how were you doing on topscore? and math destroyer? what were you usually scoring?

I honestly think topscore is a great resource. I did acheiver, and as others had said it really kills your confidence. I'd recommend taking it way before your DATs. I really freaked out when I took them about 3 weeks ago. Still I think the more practice you have with time and the test the better. So I'd still recommend it.
As for topscore, i'd say it was most representative. My scores were:

#1: Bio - 18, Chem - 21, Orgo - 21, RC & QR - 22, PAT - 21 || 21
#2: Bio - 24, Chem - 23, Orgo - 25, RC - 21, QR - 20, PAT - 22 || 23
#3: Bio - 19, Chem - 23, Orgo - 23, RC - 21, QR - 22, PAT - 23 || 22

So take it for what it is. Now that I look at it, I'd have to say gchem was very similar to TopScore.

Also I think TopScore gives you lower than you'd usually get on the DAT. I think a 28 is a perfect score for topscore, and if you're getting 2-3 wrong thats a 23 or lower

And I was doing well on the math destroyer. 20-22's using the conversion on the ADA website. Still, I think its a great resource and I'm glad I got it. Would be nice to have that math in the 20's (esp for my AA :D), but seeing how people are getting such low scores, a 19 will do just fine.

was dat bio harder than destroyer or easier then destroyer... what was it like, was it hard choices

was dat bio harder than destroyer or easier then destroyer... what was it like, was it hard choices

honestly you won't find stuff exactly like that DAT.

and no matter what you use for bio, i think most will agree with me that there will be questions on the bio that stump you.
But I think if you have enough knowledge gained from sources like destroyer, cliffs, etc, you should be able to reason a way out.
On some questions i really had to sit there and talk myself thru it.

Great job! It must feel so good to be done! That was one of the best breakdowns I have seen. Good luck with schools!

was the cdp angles like the dats or were they harder, just did test 2 and did somehwat well on everything else but the angles killed me this time and usually i do well

was the cdp angles like the dats or were they harder, just did test 2 and did somehwat well on everything else but the angles killed me this time and usually i do well

personally i thought the angles were easier on the DAT... or maybe the choices mad it obvious

Hey great job!! I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by the tic-tac-toe grid for the hole punching section because I am having trouble with that section. Thanks so much and again great scores.

Hey great job!! I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by the tic-tac-toe grid for the hole punching section because I am having trouble with that section. Thanks so much and again great scores.

Tic-tac-toe method is you basically draw the grid on your scrap paper and follow the folds back instead of playing it out in your head.
Draw 3 parallel vertical lines and 3 horizontal lines and use x's to mark off where the fold will be. It really doesnt take that much time and you can do just simply erase with your finger

hey great job on the test, sounds like ur hard work paid off, with those scores im sure you can go where u want. where would that be? Also i had some general questions:

1). was the sheet you got for the test, the laminated one with the grid on it? also u said you got yours at kaplan, im assuing that they give you one, was the one from kapaln (which i cant seem to find so that would be great) idenical to the one u were pratciing with?

2)For search and destroy i do alright with it be im "re reading" like the whole passage each time for each question, what are u writing down on the white board as you go through the passage? Could u be more specific on your search and destroy method or the method you used in the test. (sounded like a combination of both)

3)after the RC and before the QR is there literally no break or how does going between sections work.

thanks and congrats again

Last edited:
hey great job on the test, sounds like ur hard work paid off, with those scores im sure you can go where u want. where would that be? Also i had some general questions:

1). was the sheet you got for the test, the laminated one with the grid on it? also u said you got yours at kaplan, im assuing that they give you one, was the one from kapaln (which i cant seem to find so that would be great) idenical to the one u were pratciing with? It was exactly like the one from kaplan, just pink (and I got 2 w/ an eraser).

2)For search and destroy i do alright with it be im "re reading" like the whole passage each time for each question, what are u writing down on the white board as you go through the passage? Could u be more specific on your search and destroy method or the method you used in the test. (sounded like a combination of both) I'd get to a question that I see is a detail type question and start reading the passage, while taking notes on keywords, quotations, look for lists, etc. Make some symbols for yourself so its faster for you. Then when you do find the word they are talking about you can answer the question. If the next question is something you remember or wrote on your sheet go answer it. If its not, continue reading and taking down key notes. Skip any tone questions that can be answered once you read over the entire passage. This method seemed to work well for me. But you can change it up, on one of the passages I was interested and first finished reading the entire thing, then tacked the questions. It's your call on test day.

3)after the RC and before the QR is there literally no break or how does going between sections work. Yea, there is literally no break. Although when the "time expired" icon pops out, you can wait and not press ok, and I think you can buy yourself some time. I didn't try it, I kept thinking it was lose me time :-D. But I'm pretty sure its fine and you can buy like 20 seconds or so like that.

thanks and congrats again

Hope this helps

Wow, great scores! I took the DAT myself 2 years ago and since Im applying again for next year, I have to retake the test. I started studying in June. Have been using mostly destroyer, some kaplan, and cliffs for bio. Haven't started on the math yet, but I plan to take the DAT sometime in late September or early October. I am definetly in no rush. I also go for tutoring 2-3 times a week, just to review. Would you recommend anything else?

Wow, great scores! I took the DAT myself 2 years ago and since Im applying again for next year, I have to retake the test. I started studying in June. Have been using mostly destroyer, some kaplan, and cliffs for bio. Haven't started on the math yet, but I plan to take the DAT sometime in late September or early October. I am definetly in no rush. I also go for tutoring 2-3 times a week, just to review. Would you recommend anything else?

You are definitley in no rush, but start out with Cliffs and Kaplan (i'd recommend getting the blue book everyone talks about with the subject tests in it. Those were very helpful and were a good source of additional questions for me to use). Move to Destroyer once you are ready to take it on. The key with destroyer is not to be discouraged, but to understand wrong answers and why. If I had to do it over, I'd probably do it the first time in a separate notebook so that I could do it a second time later in the actual book to see where my weaknesses are.