want to MD after completing DVM degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hafizqadeer1137

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing DVM(final year) in pakistan, after it i want to go towards human practice by doing MD after completing my DVM degree, plz guide me about it,

how long is MD after completing DVM degree,

universities in UK offer MD after DVM degree,
what is total tutition fee and duration of MD,

plz guide me
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'm by no means an expert on this, but since no one has replied yet I'll give you some general thoughts on getting an M.D. from a school in the U.S..

First, I would assume that since you will have a DVM from Pakistan you have completed an undergraduate degree. Medical schools in the U.S. require a B.A., B.S., or the equivalent to apply. The M.D. program is 4 years, and tuition varies but as an international applicant I would give you a range of $36,000 to $60,000 per year not including living expenses (add another $10-20,000/year for room and board, etc). After you receive your M.D. you need between 1 and 2 years minimum of post-graduate training to obtain an unrestricted medical license from a state, but most graduates complete a residency of between 3 and 8 or so years before getting a job.

Another option would be to get your M.D. from Pakistan or another nation outside the United States and then try to enter the U.S. medical residency match program as an IMG (international medical graduate, I think). Do you want to practice in the U.S., U.K., or Pakistan?

So basically to answer your questions, you need 4 years and between 200 and $300,000 dollars to get your M.D. (most people take out loans for this). Good luck.

To correct myself, you would be a FMG (foreign medical graduate) not an IMG. IMG's are U.S. citizens that graduated from an international medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do an MD, and then a residency in Med/Peds. Then you should get a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. At the end of it all, you would be the most general of doctors capable of treating everything... be it man, animal, or machine. You should then stand in the middle of the street and yell, "I am the alpha and omega, fixer of all things."

Just an fyi, your post will get more replies if it's in the pre-med subforums.

You should do an MD, and then a residency in Med/Peds. Then you should get a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. At the end of it all, you would be the most general of doctors capable of treating everything... be it man, animal, or machine. You should then stand in the middle of the street and yell, "I am the alpha and omega, fixer of all things."

lol that's hilarious. But yeah post this in the pre-med forums and you'll get more responses. Or go to a random med school website and read about it.

In addition to the PhD in mech engineering, if you get a DDS degree, you could make some serious cash living in some rural area where there are no doctors, dentists, or vets around. Be the go to guy.

lol why don't you just stick with the DVM and start making money? It'll be costly, time consuming, and pointless to end up with both a DVM and MD.

i feel difficulty to treat animals because i feel bad when animal in pain, i want to chnage from animals to humans. so that's y i wana change and asked the duration of MD after completing doctor of medicine, it is not a matter of money, i want to practice in pakistan as the people are very poor and needy and they even can not buy medicines

i feel difficulty to treat animals because i feel bad when animal in pain, i want to chnage from animals to humans. so that's y i wana change and asked the duration of MD after completing doctor of medicine, it is not a matter of money, i want to practice in pakistan as the people are very poor and needy and they even can not buy medicines

So you don't feel difficulty when you see a human in pain?

I don't want to destroy your ambitions or anything, but it's almost impossible for international students to get into American medical schools. You're better off just completing your DVM degree...

So you don't feel difficulty when you see a human in pain?

I don't want to destroy your ambitions or anything, but it's almost impossible for international students to get into American medical schools. You're better off just completing your DVM degree...

yeah I agree bc all the med schools I applied to do not accept foreign applicants... I know all the UMDNJs do not accept applications from those who already have a professional degree... PhD, DO, DVM, OD

yeah I agree bc all the med schools I applied to do not accept foreign applicants... I know all the UMDNJs do not accept applications from those who already have a professional degree... PhD, DO, DVM, OD

Wow I did not know that... Why wouldn't they accept someone with a prior PhD? I would understand not taking someone who already has a DO, but I would think having a PhD would be a plus. I guess they don't want career changers...

Wow I did not know that... Why wouldn't they accept someone with a prior PhD? I would understand not taking someone who already has a DO, but I would think having a PhD would be a plus. I guess they don't want career changers...

yea i really don't know. maybe its because they have their own PhD program? plus the career changers may be the reason... hence DVM to MD in these schools are impossible.

"Please note that we do not admit students with advanced standing based on coursework completed in foreign medical schools or
in programs that lead to other professional or academic credentials such as DMD, DO, DVM, or PhD degrees."

http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/prospective/documents/FAQsv4.pdf

yea i really don't know. maybe its because they have their own PhD program? plus the career changers may be the reason... hence DVM to MD in these schools are impossible.

"Please note that we do not admit students with advanced standing based on coursework completed in foreign medical schools or
in programs that lead to other professional or academic credentials such as DMD, DO, DVM, or PhD degrees."

Maybe they really mean that they won't give advanced standing to a person if they are admitted and have an advanced/professional degree? They have to go through all four years. It was a reply to "What is the policy on Advanced Standing credentials?". idk it's worded kind of weird.

Last edited:

That sentence doesn't seem like they won't consider people with professional degrees... just that they won't give you credit for biochemistry even if you're a PhD in Biochem. I think most schools have a similar policy.

Hello, my Paki brother. So here is what I think. It will be very difficult for you to come to America to do your M.D. You would most likely need to take your MCAT (Medical college admission test) and do pretty well on it, and you would need to make a good argument for why you want to switch from DVM to MD. Applications here are very competitive and work very differently from Pakistan's system, since there are many factors other than the entrance exam.

I do not know about the UK. But for America, it will be a struggle, I can promise you that.

:thumbup: i love you (no homo-zygous)

i must be dyslexic because every time i read the thread title i think it says DMV and I think "there's a degree for working at the DMV?"
I'm so smart...:rolleyes: