3.30cGPA 3.69sGPA 29Composite MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a5schmidt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Western Michigan University in 2008 with a Bachelors with a double major (Finance and Management) in 3 years, while working almost full time. I also completed a ridiculous 31 credit hour semester at WMU while staying well above a 3.0, and had an article written about it. The problem was my GPA was only a 3.21. I am finishing up my pre-reqs for med school at Grand Valley State University, which is a highly respected liberal arts school in West Michigan. I completed my chem, organic chem, bio, genetics, physiology, anatomy, physics, and cadaver lab and my current GPA at Grand Valley is a 3.69. I work almost 30 hours a week at 2 jobs and also do the following:

-Big Brothers/Big Sisters Mentor
-Relay for Life Committee Member (Education and Advocacy Chair)
-Colleges Against Cancer Club
-Pre-Med Club
-Hunger and Homelessness Club
-Low Income Clinic Volunteer (Shadowed 8 different docs, both MD and DO, for a total of 100 hours so far)
-Help out with a project to provide low income people with medical services
-Independent Cancer Research-Trends in cancer across the state
-Emergency Room Volunteer-3 hours a week
-Soup Kitchen-10 hours total
-CNA
-Employed at a home for mentally disabled adults (Direct Care Worker)
-Sales job at the Mall

My composite MCAT is a 29, so I do need to work on that. I signed up for the Kaplan course. I have 4 awesome LORs so far as well. I pretty much am giving this everything I got so I really don’t have any free time.

Any opinions? I live in Michigan btw. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When are you retaking? I take it you're applying this cycle? I would definitely consider applying to osteopathic schools, 'low/mid-tier' MD schools, and 'mid-tier' schools as your reaches. Sounds like you have a pretty nice story. And it also sounds like you've done pretty good numbers-wise recently. The schools will see your GPA broken down by academic year (Fr, Soph, etc.) so trends will be seen fairly readily. Always apply to your state schools, no matter the 'reachiness' of said schools. You also have a very well respected osteopathic school in Michigan, so if you're game for osteopathic medicine give them a shot for sure! Good luck!

I'm going to take it again in a couple weeks. I really like MSU's MD (MSU-CHM) program, which is a lower-tier school. Do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to take it again in a couple weeks. I really like MSU's MD (MSU-CHM) program, which is a lower-tier school. Do I have a chance?

Being a resident, I think you have a shot at all the Michigan schools except Ann Arbor, especially if your retake is 31+.

your gpa is going to hurt you. i think you need to slow your roll a bit and focus on study time. cut out some of the ec's so you can get that cgpa up.

if youve finished all your pre-reqs and no other science classes are offered at school. then you better knock that mcat out of the park. as it is, i think you have a shot but a strong mcat would definately help your cause.

good luck!

your gpa is going to hurt you. i think you need to slow your roll a bit and focus on study time. cut out some of the ec's so you can get that cgpa up.

if youve finished all your pre-reqs and no other science classes are offered at school. then you better knock that mcat out of the park. as it is, i think you have a shot but a strong mcat would definately help your cause.

good luck!

:laugh: