Neuro-opthamology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read this referenced in prior posts; can someone in the know please inform me/us as to the finer points about this field?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by CutIt
I've read this referenced in prior posts; can someone in the know please inform me/us as to the finer points about this field?

Neuro-ophthalmologists specialize in disorders that affect vision from the optic nerve to the occipital cortex. It's a field that bridges neurology and ophthalmology. Disorders seen by this speciality include: MS, pseudotumor cerebri, strokes affecting visual pathways, tumors affecting visual pathways, optic neuropathies, and thyroid eye disease. To give you the idea the scope of this field, one text book for this speciality is 5+ volumes (written by Neil Miller at Hopkins).

Thanks MudPhud, that was some really good info...just have some follow-ups: what is the (presumed) outlook for this field in the future, in terms of both positions available and compensation? Also, is this field more diagnostic or interventional; are there surgeries involved?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CutIt
Thanks MudPhud, that was some really good info...just have some follow-ups: what is the (presumed) outlook for this field in the future, in terms of both positions available and compensation? Also, is this field more diagnostic or interventional; are there surgeries involved?

There aren't many fellowships available for this speciality, and most grads enter academic careers. The beautiful thing about ophthalmology is that you can be specialty trained in one area and still practice general ophthalmology too if you so desire. For those who purely practice neuro-ophthalmology, the field is both diagnostic and interventional. There are many neuro-ophthalmological disorders that require careful follow-up and treatment. Not many neuro-ophthalmologist do surgery; but I worked with Dr. Miller at Johns Hopkins, and he went to the OR once per week.

I also worked with a neuro-ophthalmology fellow who was completing a year in plastics. He was planning to do a lot of surgery in addition to working as a neuro-ophthalmologist.

I'm not sure about positions available and compensation for neuro-ophthalmologists. Keep in mind, however, that you can be speciality trained in neuro, but still practice as a general ophthalmologist with an interest in neuro. This is very flexible.

here's something that i find interesting.

the director of the neuro-ophthalmology service at the Univ of Illinois - Chgo is a neurologist, james goodwin. he did a neurology residency then followed it up with a fellowship at bascom palmer.

he obviously cannot perform any surgeries so i wonder what he does do.

Originally posted by Pinky
here's something that i find interesting.

the director of the neuro-ophthalmology service at the Univ of Illinois - Chgo is a neurologist, james goodwin. he did a neurology residency then followed it up with a fellowship at bascom palmer.

he obviously cannot perform any surgeries so i wonder what he does do.

Most neuro-op doctors do not do surgery. They mostly diagnose and treat disorders affecting the visual system. Any lesion from the optic nerve to the back of the brain would involve a neuro-ophthalmologist.