Should I bother with all my secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shloopy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mailed my AADSAS application to 16 schools a few weeks ago, and I just took the DAT yesterday (my breakdown). I'm wondering if I should even bother with secondaries for all 16, though, since I think my RC and QR scores alone would put me out of the running at a few (more than a few??) places.

I sent my initial application to a few schools who traditionally like pretty high stats, like Columbia and Penn, IN CASE I rocked every section of the DAT. Now? I'm thinkin' not so much... Save some time and money and skip the secondaries?

Any advice? Many thanks in advance for any input!! (sorry to start another what-are-my-chances type thread -- :oops: )

PA 21 (93.0)
QR 16 (50.9)
RC 18 (38.1)
BIO 20 (85.5)
GC 21 (86.2)
OC 24 (94.4)

TS 22 (95.3)
AA 20 (84.0)

AADSAS calculated GPAs
sci: 3.78
non-sci: 3.6
cum: 3.64

Members don't see this ad.

This is a little like pot odds in poker. You've already invested, what, $70 in each of your 16 schools. Now you would need to invest another ~$70. What do you stand to gain from your investment? I think your stats are good enough for Columbia and Penn, you're right in their range of enrollees so they would consider you. Also Penn's Sup Fee is only $50. Bottom line is you need to ask yourselves which of these schools you really want to go to and whether it's worth the potential investment.

you've come this far and your scores are good enough. sometimes they will overlook the 16. call and make sure.

i would go for it. it's a small investment right now that could lead to a large longterm gain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, thanks guys. I guess at the moment I'm leaning toward just going ahead and applying. Poker is right.

It's weird, because the 16 QR jumps out as right away as the unsightly number, but the 18 RC is actually the lower percentile, and is the one I'd maybe rather add 2 points to if I could. 38th percentile in RC - a section that schools are going to maybe care a lot more about than math? Methinks 38th is probably a pretty low hand at the Columbia / Penn table....

Ah well.

The sticky threads on this stuff are very helpful, and PreDents.com, but of course there's no stat for "number of enrolees w/22 TS, BUT 16 QR and 18 RC." :laugh:

Thanks for the replies!

Yup, thanks guys. I guess at the moment I'm leaning toward just going ahead and applying. Poker is right.

It's weird, because the 16 QR jumps out as right away as the unsightly number, but the 18 RC is actually the lower percentile, and is the one I'd maybe rather add 2 points to if I could. 38th percentile in RC - a section that schools are going to maybe care a lot more about than math? Methinks 38th is probably a pretty low hand at the Columbia / Penn table....

Ah well.

The sticky threads on this stuff are very helpful, and PreDents.com, but of course there's no stat for "number of enrolees w/22 TS, BUT 16 QR and 18 RC." :laugh:

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, you can search with those (and any other) criteria under member search.

Really? I did not know this! >runs over to sign up<

edit: cool stuff. thanks, preOMFS.

Last edited:
OP, you have great scores...you have already paid for AADSAS, unless you are broke..do all the secondaries..otherwise you will wonder for the rest of your life if you would have gotten in.