3.47 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, 41R, low on activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingyibvs

Psych!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a re-applicant and you can get more information about me in my mdapplicants profile. I have already applied to about 20 schools this year, but I would like to add some more, so can someone give me some suggestions on schools I'd have good chances with? I would absolutely DREAD having to apply yet again, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How many months (or years) total did you study for your 2nd MCAT?

I think you'll be fine...

How many months (or years) total did you study for your 2nd MCAT?

I think you'll be fine...

About 1 month of full-time(7-8 hrs a day every day) studying. I had some serious motivational issues my last 3 years in college(I took 5 years), resulting in a sharp declining GPA(4.0, 3.96, 3.47, and for the 4th+5th years, 2.94) and volunteering activities. I didn't touch on the subject much last cycle, but I'm placing much more emphasis on explaining this issue this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the downward trend is a major red flag. They need to know that you're ready for a med school course-load and the recent 2.94 shows the opposite. You have to show them that you're capable of handling a med school course load.

Yeah the downward trend is a major red flag. They need to know that you're ready for a med school course-load and the recent 2.94 shows the opposite. You have to show them that you're capable of handling a med school course load.

Thank you for the response, but how do you suggest I would do that? I tried my best to explain my motivational issues. It's quite a shame that it shows as a weakness, since being able to handle large or difficult course-loads was never a problem for me as I was simply slacking way too much due to some personal problems resulting in a major lost of motivation. My course-load the first two years was actually heavier than my last three, since I was intentionally dragging out my undergraduate career waiting for a resolution of my issues.

Well, basically, I'm a long time immigrant, but my family of 3 was under constant threat of being forced to move back to our homeland, where we have given up everything and has nothing left for us, in the later part of my undergraduate career. I really didn't know if anything I did even mattered, and I suppose I didn't really care about anything during those years.

Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Rosalind Franklin

Those schools are within your GPA range.

The easiest way to show that you're ready for med school would be to 4.0 a few more courses, but if you want to get in this cycle, the best thing to do would be to thoroughly explain what your situation was.

Your sGPA is still quite strong, but the downward trend looks bad, and is your biggest problem. Did the schools see your 41R the first cycle? Because if not, I think it will help a lot the second time around.

Can you describe your research experience more fully? If you contributed, play it up more at the top schools. Also, I think MCW is an odd and random choice.

Last edited:
Well, basically, I'm a long time immigrant, but my family of 3 was under constant threat of being forced to move back to our homeland, where we have given up everything and has nothing left for us, in the later part of my undergraduate career. I really didn't know if anything I did even mattered, and I suppose I didn't really care about anything during those years.

Honestly, your downward trend doesn't seem that bad with that explanation. I think you have a shot at mid-tier schools.

Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Rosalind Franklin

Those schools are within your GPA range.

The easiest way to show that you're ready for med school would be to 4.0 a few more courses, but if you want to get in this cycle, the best thing to do would be to thoroughly explain what your situation was.

His GPA isn't THAT low. I think he can shoot for higher schools with the MCAT he has. Yes, the downward trend will be looked down upon but he was going through a tough time.

I have no suggestions regarding what schools to apply to, but I do have this to add.

Id think really seriously before explaining the reasoning for your downward trend. Youve explained that your family was facing the propect of being deported, and you thus felt like "nothing you did mattered" and "whats the point". I obviously cant speak for Adcoms, but to me, these are troubling statements. This could essentially indicate to Adcoms that when you are faced with adversity and uncertainty, you are likely to give up and be unable/unwilling to persevere. PLEASE understand that I am not suggesting that this is true for you, and I am by no means, minimizing the negative effect that your families situation would have upon your mindset and motivation. I am only pointing out what COULD be troubling to an Adcom, who will be looking to poke holes in your application. I may be totally wrong, and they might end up being totally sympathetic to your situation. However it remains a possibility that they will view your response (lack of motivation) to your families troubles, as an indication that you do not perform well when faced with adversity. Just my 2 cents.-SH

PS- Thats an amazing score on your MCATS. Did you only take them this one time? If not, would you mind sharing what your scores were first time around.

PPS-What country is your family from?

I have no suggestions regarding what schools to apply to, but I do have this to add.

Id think really seriously before explaining the reasoning for your downward trend. Youve explained that your family was facing the propect of being deported, and you thus felt like "nothing you did mattered" and "whats the point". I obviously cant speak for Adcoms, but to me, these are troubling statements. This could essentially indicate to Adcoms that when you are faced with adversity and uncertainty, you are likely to give up and be unable/unwilling to persevere. PLEASE understand that I am not suggesting that this is true for you, and I am by no means, minimizing the negative effect that your families situation would have upon your mindset and motivation. I am only pointing out what COULD be troubling to an Adcom, who will be looking to poke holes in your application. I may be totally wrong, and they might end up being totally sympathetic to your situation. However it remains a possibility that they will view your response (lack of motivation) to your families troubles, as an indication that you do not perform well when faced with adversity. Just my 2 cents.-SH

PS- Thats an amazing score on your MCATS. Did you only take them this one time? If not, would you mind sharing what your scores were first time around.

If you look on his MDapps, he had a 35M the first time.
Very insightful post, btw.

Hi, thanks for the response. That is an issue that I have considered for a long time. Last year, I thought more like you do, and I did my best to not draw attention to the GPA trend. However, after speaking to some admissions people and all sorts of other people, I am deciding in favor the opposite this year.

For one, I think it is better for adcoms to think that I have trouble dealing with adversity/uncertainty rather than that I'm simply lazy. I have actually used examples of my successful dealings with previous adversities to show that it was really uncertainy that troubled me, which I think is the least of the 3 evils. Secondly, it's a problem that can't be avoided, as the majority of adcoms will notice it and question it, so it is best to be proactive and address the issue and get my story out there first. Additionally, the general opinion is that it is OK to admit a mistake, especially when it's obvious, if you can convince them that you can change and have changed.

Thus, I made a volunteering experience of this past year where I shadowed/worked with a physician who has faced and overcome unimaginable obstacles as one of the central pieces of my personal statement. I used it to show that I have understood my problem(i.e. lack of perseverance) and I used my work this past year, such as how I doubled up on my volunteering/shadowing hours in one year over the previous five, and how while I am still dealing with adversity(a lot of family troubles) at the same time, as evidence that I have indeed changed. Some of the explanations were in the secondaries, since I had other stuff to talk about in the PS.

Anyway, I did take the MCAT once previously and got a 35M, I think it was 13, 11, 11, but I'm not sure. My family came from China and I came to the states when I was 11. Our green card application was dependent on employer sponsor, so if my father lost his job we'd have to leave. It actually happened once when I was in high school, and I had returned all of my textbooks and said goodbye to all of my friends before my father found a new job within the 2-month grace period. Then in college, his new company floundered, he was forced to work reduced hours, and I really thought I was gonna relive that nightmare. He was actually laid off just a few months after we received our green cards, and he hasn't found a new job yet. If that had happened when I was in college....

Wow, but at this point you wouldn't be covered by his green card anyway, right? Will you try to get a student visa at your medical school? Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!