Full scholarships for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mannyowens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they are rare but I have often heard of people here and there who get these. Anyone who has received one mind sharing their stats if it was merit based or rough idea of financial background if need based. Just want to see if they really exist?

Members don't see this ad.

It's all about the school - less about the stats. For example, Univ of Chicago gives a lot of big scholarships. I think U Mich gives some too.

Purely academic scholarships are rare, but they are so school specific. The big ones I know of are:

University of Chicago
University of Michigan
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
The new medical school in Florida (I forget it's name)
Vanderbilt (?--pretty sure about this one, anyone care to confirm?)

In any case, you need to research the schools you are interested in and find out about these things

Members don't see this ad :)
The new medical school in Florida (I forget it's name)

Florida International University?

Also Cleveland Clinic does a 5 year MD/MS that is tuition free. I also thought Mayo was trying to go tuition free, but maybe wrong.

I think the Florida school was actually University of Central Florida, but not sure if they are doing it anymore (they used scholarships to attract people for their inaugural class).

Vanderbilt indeed has merit scholarships. I believe WashU might too?

Duke gives some scholarships to minority students. UPenn also has a handful of merit scholarships they hand out.

Adding to the list:

Harvard
Columbia
Emory

---
Forget about academic excellence, they want outstanding *individuals*, people with a demonstrated potential in research and with leadership qualities. (They are NOT interested in financing students who most likely end up in private practice in the long run). MCAT > 39, GPA > 3.9 and a career in volunteering help only to secure secondaries. Seriously. Lots of folks have those, that doesn't get admissions excited about you and keen on throwing money your way.

Most people need fin aid for med school, and fin aid is available for just about everybody. That's why scholarships tend to be merit based.

I know they are rare but I have often heard of people here and there who get these. Anyone who has received one mind sharing their stats if it was merit based or rough idea of financial background if need based. Just want to see if they really exist?

Not enough of these scholarships out there for you to base an app strategy on it - this isn't like college where they have merit scholarships for certain SAT levels, band scholarships, athletic scholarships, etc.

Yes, they exist, but they are for superstars and URMs, for the most part. CCLCM is tuition free, and Mayo gives substantial scholarships to all matriculants, but these are extremely competitive schools, not the cornerstone of an app strategy for anybody.

Your best shot at the cheapest possible education is at an instate public med school. Most people build their apps around this premise, and most people take out loans to pay for med school.

I got a full merit scholarship from Wayne State. The rule of thumb is the more competitive you are for a school the more likely you will get one, but it also depends on the schools ability and willingness to dole them out. My merit based financial aid was essentially nil at all other more competitie schools that I got into except Pitt (20,000K), but Pitt is a big scolarship giver,

I think the OP was interested in purely merit based scholarships (I may be wrong). But, I know that Harvard and Columbia do not give purely merit based (they have some thing worked with URM status but I have no idea how that works and they are also very generous with those that come from disadvantaged financial backgrounds).

Adding to the list:

Harvard
Columbia
Emory

---
Forget about academic excellence, they want outstanding *individuals*, people with a demonstrated potential in research and with leadership qualities. (They are NOT interested in financing students who most likely end up in private practice in the long run). MCAT > 39, GPA > 3.9 and a career in volunteering help only to secure secondaries. Seriously. Lots of folks have those, that doesn't get admissions excited about you and keen on throwing money your way.

Most people need fin aid for med school, and fin aid is available for just about everybody. That's why scholarships tend to be merit based.

I think that 50% of the first class of the new med school in El Paso (Texas Tech Paul L. Foster School of Medicine) had full merit-based scholarships. I know they are giving out scholarships again this year but not sure to what extent

I think that 50% of the first class of the new med school in El Paso (Texas Tech Paul L. Foster School of Medicine) had full merit-based scholarships. I know they are giving out scholarships again this year but not sure to what extent

I know where I'm applying next cycle

Don't forget, Cleveland Clinic has a 5-year research-based MD degree and it is fully funded all 5 years. (IIRC)

I think the Florida school was actually University of Central Florida, but not sure if they are doing it anymore (they used scholarships to attract people for their inaugural class).

Vanderbilt indeed has merit scholarships. I believe WashU might too?

Duke gives some scholarships to minority students. UPenn also has a handful of merit scholarships they hand out.

Florida International University has a new medical school.

Go FIU!!

Florida International University has a new medical school.

Go FIU!!

Am I the only one who when I heard about Florida International, thought it was a Caribb or something? Kinda like American University.....of the Caribb. When I saw International, I though it was a foreign place dropping the name of a US state, to make people think it was in the states,even though it wasn't.