UPenn 2014 cycle updates!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyanko

total trash mammal
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't sure all of my stuff got to them on time so I didn't know if I actually applied here or not, but apparently it did so that's great news!

(Read: I got an acknowledgement email today that my application is complete)

Still have to finish the VMSTP application though. :rolleyes:

Anyone else throwin their app at Penn? I don't have high hopes for this one. :D

Members don't see this ad.

i also applied and they cashed my check but I haven't heard anything from them

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's part of the email, they aren't going to start looking at applications until December so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

In December the Admissions Committee will begin to read applications and make decisions. Consequently, if you have Fall '09 grades please have an official transcript sent to us as soon as possible after the grades have been submitted. All prerequisite courses must be taken prior to matriculation and you must have earned a grade of C or better in these courses. Interview invitations are sent out weekly from late December through March, with at least two weeks' advance notice of the interview date. Those applicants whom we believe are less academically qualified will begin to hear from us as soon as we can determine their comparative ranking with other applicants. In short, we do not interview nor do we accept all at one time. It is a four-month process.

Last edited:
received an email, but also dont have high hopes for penn. i thought it was my rejection letter at first haha

Yep I received an email that my application was complete on Tuesday (nov 3rd). I wish they would start reviewing applications now instead of waiting til mid-December.

I called in early october, and they said they had received everything from me. Still no email though :mad:

I submitted my app to UPenn too, but haven't heard anything yet.

got my "acknowledgement letter" from Penn today, Nov 6

Hmm, I hope the order we're getting these acknowledgment letters doesn't correlate to when we here about interview/rejection. I'll go crazy if i'm one of those people waiting until March :eek:

Haven't gotten an e-mail yet, but my check was cashed a loooong time ago. Penn's actually in my top 2 and I've got a decent amount of hope for it... but we'll see!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, got my acknowledgment letter on 11/3...but totally not high hopes. i also don't really expect to hear from them anytime soon..

i applied there two years ago and didn't get rejected/any other form of communication from them until april

Hmm, I hope the order we're getting these acknowledgment letters doesn't correlate to when we here about interview/rejection. I'll go crazy if i'm one of those people waiting until March :eek:

If this is true I will be bald by March.

It's likely alphabetical. I got mine today.

My last name is very close to end of alphabet, so probably not. :D

edit: trying to figure out a rhyme or reason to the way these schools do things is a good way to drive yourself insane, so try not to think too hard on it and just assume they threw them all up in the air and picked them up off the ground in a random order. ;)

I recieved my "Acknowledgement Letter" email today also. I thought it was spam at first. It's really just a notice that it's open season on applicants.

They cashed my check a while ago, but I haven't heard from them. I have high hopes for this one! Good luck everyone!

I got my e-mail yesterday 11/5

I still haven't gotten one. I was kind of worried that it got sent to spam and accidentally deleted. Hopefully I just haven't gotten it yet.

I still haven't gotten one, but I'm not too worried yet. I called them about a week and a half ago to check on my materials and they said "You'll hear from us in November," so I'm pretty sure that if I called again at this point I'd get the same answer. Just trying to be patient and occupy myself with all the schoolwork I need to do... :oops:

I'm wondering where they are in the alphabet. I'm a "B" and still haven't gotten anything. Trying not to be too worried about it, but then, 'tis the season for pointless worry about vet school materials.

I'm wondering where they are in the alphabet. I'm a "B" and still haven't gotten anything.

i dont think its alphabetical, I'm a D and received mine. I think its pointless trying to guess their schedule, they may even do it by your VMCAS ID number so it would be random for anything we think (alphabetically, timing of submission, etc).

i dont think its alphabetical, I'm a D and received mine. I think its pointless trying to guess their schedule, they may even do it by your VMCAS ID number so it would be random for anything we think (alphabetically, timing of submission, etc).

Yeah I don't think it's something 'easy' like that, if it's ordered at all. I submitted my VMCAS on Sept 28th or 29th, didn't send the Supplemental card in until the day before it was due, have a last name that begins with 'D', and got my confirmation email on Nov. 3rd.

I wouldn't worry. They probably have a ton of applicants and are slowly but surely making their way through the piles of info. It's not like they are invitations to interview, they are just saying that the applications are complete. If you sent everything in, you should be fine and you'll get an email. If something got lost along the way you will have time (I think) to get another copy to them. They said they aren't looking at the files until mid-December so no need to freak out just yet!

Got my confirmation email today. I didn't know they started sending interview invitations so early! Now I'm going to start stalking the mail person as soon as December 20th rolls around...

Last edited:
I got a letter today from UPenn. It looks like they didn't get one of my transcripts. I kind of had a freak out when I saw it in the mail box. I was not expecting anything, so I thought for sure it was a rejection :)

Last edited:
I got a letter in the mail today from UPenn. It looks like they didn't get on of my transcripts. I kind of had a freak out when I saw it in the mail. I was not expecting anything, so I thought for sure it was a rejection :)

Are you my twin? Same thing happened to me today, only with my GRE scores. ETS has already gotten a couple hundred bucks from me, I really don't want to give them more to send something again. Hopefully I can get it sorted out tomorrow.

This same thing happened with Cornell. The one they are missing has my maiden name on it, so I'm sure it is there. Hopefully they can find when I give them a call today. Good luck with the GRE scores. They are so expensive!

It took Penn forever to get my GRE scores. Don't resend them - they emailed and asked for a fax of my copy when they needed the scores and ETS was still taking forever.

Hmm, I still haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail OR a letter saying they're missing something, yet they did cash my check way back in September. Do you guys think I should give them a call or continue to be patient about it?

I called them to confirm around the beginning of october. They had no problem checking to make sure everything was there.

PS: Everytime this thread updates, I flip out a little, thinking interviews are going out.

I only hesitate to call and check on my materials because I called during the last week of October (after learning that my GRE scores had not been received by another school), and the person I spoke with told me rather shortly, "You'll hear from us in November, there's no information until then." I was put off a bit. Maybe I'll try again anyway...

EDIT: I just called and they confirmed that all of my materials have been received. The man I spoke with also said they had me checked off as having been sent a confirmation email, although I had not received one. I just checked my spam folder and sure enough there it was, sent on November 2... phew!

Last edited:
AspiriringDVM, I thought they still wanted fall transcripts (they did as of this March when I visited the school) as part of their evaluation of applicants. ??

AspiriringDVM, I thought they still wanted fall transcripts (they did as of this March when I visited the school) as part of their evaluation of applicants. ??

I'm pretty sure the confirmation email said to send fall transcipts ASAP, but it did also say that they started sending interview invites in late December and continued through March. I guess if you had prereqs left or they wanted to get a better idea of your academics they'd really want to see the fall transcipts? :confused:

I plan on calling tomorrow, but off hand does anyone know if you missed the fine print saying one of your eLOR's needed to be from an academic person, can you still send it in after vmcas is closed? I can't imagine they would be mean enough to send a card saying that I'm missing an academic letter, and not let me submit one.....but their website also says that recommendation letters must be submitted through vmcas. :scared:

I plan on calling tomorrow, but off hand does anyone know if you missed the fine print saying one of your eLOR's needed to be from an academic person, can you still send it in after vmcas is closed? I can't imagine they would be mean enough to send a card saying that I'm missing an academic letter, and not let me submit one.....but their website also says that recommendation letters must be submitted through vmcas. :scared:

No offense, but I doubt they'll accept something as big as an LOR this late in game. It's nearly eight weeks past their deadline, and I wouldn't exactly call that "fine print..." If they take it from you, they have to take late submissions from every other applicant who may have misread something...

Last year, one of my LORs had to be submitted on paper. And VMCAS told me that there was no way they were going to send any of my application materials out to the school until they received the third eLOR. But apparently the schools can pull your info up and print it out themselves, so it worked out okay. You're probably fine, but just double-check with them tomorrow.

PS, I missed the part about how you didn't realize you needed one from an academic source (as opposed to it just somehow slipping through the cracks and not getting there). I don't think I would emphasize that point when you talk to them. Just say you got their postcard and wanted to know if you can still send them the missing letter! (Provided someone can write one up ASAP!!)

What does "academic person" mean? I mean I assume mine's okay since they sent me the confirmation email and I got a second confirm from the dual degree coordinator saying my application was complete. However, I didn't submit any VMCAS LORs from professors who taught me in class, only professors who were my research PIs.

To Minnerbelle: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :luck:
To myself: Holy cow this wasn't supposed to start for another month OMG OMG yikes yikes yikes MUST CHECK EMAIL NOW.

Congrats!!!!!!

I am excited they started early! Good luck everyone!

YAY! Congratulations Minnerbelle!!

Now it's time to grill you...
What did you list as your primary interest on the supplemental?
^This applies to you too Prplgrl (I am sorry if I mangled your name) as do the congrats

^This applies to you too Prplgrl (I am sorry if I mangled your name) as do the congrats

Thanks badcats!

I think I listed small animal first, then food animal, then wildlife on the supplemental

Congrats to those that have heard! You guys will rock it! :) Wonder if they'll be separating OOS and IS notifications at all...hmmm. Time to bring the stress level up a notch!

Thanks everyone! Congrats and good luck to Prplgrl too! I look forward to seeing you on the 11th.

I think I put down shelter med, research, and wildlife for my primary interests.

sad thing... is the money hemorrhage... i had to cancel my tix for ohio because apparently i can't just change one of the flights. Now I need to pay over $700 for the hotel and flights (I'm crashing with a friend in Philly so I don't even need a hotel there) :scared: I am sooo glad that half of the schools I applied to don't interview, because I will be broke even before I get to vet school. I wish they had a smiley of money on wings...

Grill away! I don't think anyone can get enough practice... I hate the ethics questions like "if you caught a classmate cheating on an exam, what would you do?" hmm... what are you supposed to say to that? "I would drag him/her down the lecture hall by the scruff and have the class stone him/her???" I know med schools ask these... not sure if I remember seeing it in interview feedback for vet schools.