Fall 2010 Acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMM051

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...I don't have any to post yet but someone suggested it on the other thread.
Post your acceptances here!
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Texas Houston emailed me yesterday to let me know I was accepted! I was really thrilled since this is the first school I've heard back from, and it's only been one month to the day since I submitted my apps. I thought schools didn't inform people until at least March. :-D

They offered me a new student scholarship, but I don't think it will be that much. Anybody know anything about their scholarships?

Congrats knitPH; UTPH is a great school!

"Stats" questions always come up-- so I figured I'd pre-empt any requests. If you're comfortable with it, could you please post:

Undergrad Tier + Major
GRE (V)(A)(AWA)
GPA
Other Relevant info (experience, etc.)

Acceptances (Funding):
Rejections:
Waitlist:
Still Waiting:

Thanks in advance :cool:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN MPHers! Finally, my first post after lurking for quite some time. BTW, thanks to everyone for posting their stories...I have learned so much invaluable info here.

That being said, earlier this week I got accepted at GWU for "Global Health: Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation" (11/16). My SOPHAS was submitted 10/19 and the application was complete 11/2 to give you an idea of how long the process took. As a side note, GWU was extremely responsive with emails and beat their 3-4 week timeline by a full 10 days ish.

Relevant Experience: 3 months volunteering in Tanzania teaching HIV education, two years Physiology research, hospital volunteering, public health minor, took a few UD Public Health classes as an undergrad.

GPA: 3.5 Undergrad, 3.9 Grad (both in Physiology from state schools)
(yes, I have a grad degree that I totally will not use because a career in micro lab research is just not for me after all...hence going for the MPH which is where my heart/mind continue to converge)

GRE: 510 V (65%), 610 Q (50%), 4.5 writing (63%)
(pretty average, but you just never know what admissions are looking for!)

Still waiting on:
PITT
EMORY
UCLA
UC Berkeley
BU
UIC
YALE

Can't wait to hear everyone else's good news as it comes out!

Last edited:
Congrats to the two of you! That's so awesome that you've already heard back!
SJD24, did you hear from GW through email?

Congrats to the two of you! That's so awesome that you've already heard back!
SJD24, did you hear from GW through email?

Yes, I heard back from GWU via email in which they attach a formal acceptance letter and should be getting a packet in the mail soon.

Also, congrats to knitPHgurl above!

Congrats to those with good news. I was accepted to UT-Houston on 11/13 for the MPH Epi. Received New Student Scholarship. I got the mentor I requested in my essay! woohoo! :)

Stats:
GPA: 3.7 (BS in Biology, minor in Spanish, public health-related concentration, undergrad research)
GRE: 1310 (720Q,590V,5.0W)
Other experience: tons of health/medical volunteer exp, emt, taught english in france and spain, speak 4 languages, cytogenetic technologist, current research position in public health

Still waiting: Yale, UW, Michigan, Berkeley, UNC, JHU, Harvard, Columbia

I just got my first acceptance =) to University of Texas, Houston

Though it's not my first choice, I'm still very happy!

Still waiting on
UCLA
UCB
San Diego State
Tulane
University of Arizona
Yale
Loma Linda (haven't sent in my secondary apps YET)

Still need to apply to:
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach

Congrats to all of you with acceptances! Here's where I'm at:

Undergrad: BS in Health, minor in Psychology
GRE: 1340 (750Q, 590V, 5.0W)
GPA: 3.97
Other Experience: Numerous leadership and volunteer positions, 10 months community health experience in Haiti

Acceptances: Tulane (International Health & Development)
Still Waiting: BU, Emory, Michigan, OSU

Hi All,
I also recently got into GWU for the Global Health: Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation concentration. I was really impressed with their speed and responses to my questions by email. I majored in International Development for my undergrad. More info about my background: I had a 3.5 GPA and for my GREs got a 550 V (75%), 680 Q (66%), and a 5.5 (92%). I'm currently a Peace Corps Volunteer and will be done in a couple of months! This board has been really helpful for me in the application process since I can't do much research online (my internet is soooo slow). I'm still waiting for UPitt, BU, UNC, and Case Western Reserve University.

Good luck everyone!

Just got a letter of acceptance to UIC for Epidemiology. Funny thing is that they didn't even contact me to say "we got your application" so I was on the verge of contacting them to see what was going on. All I could see is that they cashed my secondary check a few weeks back. Then BAM! Letter in the mail today.

It seems like admissions are on a roll...or at least picking up steam at various schools. Keep 'em coming guys! :xf:

Very, very jealous. UIC is one of the top schools on my list. CONGRATS!!! :-D

SJD24--I just got that letter for UIC epi as well! I actually called them yesterday to ask if they had received my application and they said that I'll find out soon...I guess they meant the actual decision!

However, my letter does state "Official notification of your application decision will be sent by the UIC Office of Admissions once all required documentation and fees are received." But then it goes on to give out all of the information about the program and another packet says "Congratulations on your acceptance!" Anyway, I'm still counting this as an acceptance!

GRE: 670 Q, 570 V, 4.5 AW
GPA: 3.94

Still waiting:
UPitt
UMich
BU
Yale
Emory
GW

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never come across any mention of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...in this forum, even though it's so highly ranked...:confused:

Congrats Frazier!

Concern- I think there are a good number of people applying but there are just not many questions asked. I think it may have to do with the location? While Chapel Hill is nice and relatively close to Raleigh/Durham it's not in a large scale city which may be attractive due to a possibility of more contacts/opportunities. I'm applying to UNC, I really like the campus and the actual school of public health building is nice and new.

SJD24--I just got that letter for UIC epi as well! I actually called them yesterday to ask if they had received my application and they said that I'll find out soon...I guess they meant the actual decision!

However, my letter does state "Official notification of your application decision will be sent by the UIC Office of Admissions once all required documentation and fees are received." But then it goes on to give out all of the information about the program and another packet says "Congratulations on your acceptance!" Anyway, I'm still counting this as an acceptance!

Psych major, soc minor at State U
GRE: 670 Q, 570 V, 4.5 AW
GPA: 3.94
Other relevant info: Many hours of volunteer work, mostly in the healthcare field; research assistant in psych and epi labs

Still waiting:
UPitt
UMich
BU
Yale
Emory
GW

Congrats! I am pretty excited for the UIC nod. From what I can tell, lots of out-of-staters get funding through TAships, etc to significantly cut the cost of tuition (if not make it free). Oh yeah, and its a great epi program :) On a related note, it looks like we applied to nearly all the same schools!

Congrats to Frazier too. That Texas tuition minus the scholarship is highway robbery!

Congrats! I am pretty excited for the UIC nod. From what I can tell, lots of out-of-staters get funding through TAships, etc to significantly cut the cost of tuition (if not make it free).
That's great! Definitely makes UIC more attractive :D
When do we send in that financial aid form that came with our acceptance letter--after we submit FAFSA? And do you know if they offer incoming scholarships?

Good questions. Since I am not really sure, here is what I was thinking...

1) I just looked at the UIC paperwork again and I believe the financial aid form does no good without FAFSA submitted. I'm sure you can send it in now, but since you can file FAFSA in January, I assume you can play it safe and send in the form after FAFSA is done.

2) No clue about incoming scholarships...I won't even speculate, ha. If I end up giving UIC a call about this, I will definitely post my findings.

I remember reading somewhere on UIC's website that we should apply by Dec. 1 if we want to be eligible for scholarships and financial aid. But it doesn't give any more info!

I got into UIC for Cancer Epi and UPitt for Epi.

GPA = 3.5
MCAT = 34

anyone herd anything from Emory or Boston for global health?

I got into UIC for Cancer Epi and UPitt for Epi.

GPA = 3.5
MCAT = 34

anyone herd anything from Emory or Boston for global health?

Congrats! :)

If you don't mind me asking...How did Pitt notify you of your acceptance and how long did it take for them to get back to you after the initial "your file is under review" email? Hopefully I will hear back from Pitt soon because I am right within the 3-4 week approximation they gave for a response :xf:

I have not heard anything from either Emory or BU global health (applied to both) beyond the "your file is under review" status.

Thanks for the update.

I just received an email from BU yesterday saying that I was accepted for this coming spring. I realize it's a higher acceptance rate school, but my stats anyway are:

GPA - 3.4 (undergrad major was math, minor in psych - gpa of guest student PH courses was 3.7)
GRE - V480(57%), Q680(67%), AW5.0(81%)
Experience - Hard to state seeing as I can probably find a way to relate everything I've done in the 5 years since undergrad to why I'd be an asset to the school, but in a PH nut shell - research assistant in psych and neurology, non-profit work (mental health residental, outreach, & rehab, Parkinson's disease community support and fundraising), volunteer work abroad and locally.

Stats should always be taken as a grain of salt in my opinion and I urge readers not to be intimidated by what people post here. My goals are related to psychiatric epidemiology (Ideally I would have appled to JH, but I work here and it just made too much sense for this first stage) and I think that my personal statement helped. I noted programs at the university I'm interested in, individuals I'm inspired by, and specific career interests/goals.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone else. The waiting period is brutal!

If you don't mind me asking...How did Pitt notify you of your acceptance and how long did it take for them to get back to you after the initial "your file is under review" email? Hopefully I will hear back from Pitt soon because I am right within the 3-4 week approximation they gave for a response :xf:

I have not heard anything from either Emory or BU global health (applied to both) beyond the "your file is under review" status.

Thanks for the update.

I got into Pittsburgh yesterday for Epi. :) They notified me by email with the subject line "GSPH Decision", and they said that they would be sending me the offiical letter by mail soon. Pittsburgh emailed me on 10/29 that they received my SOPHAS app, so that places them at 2 days under the 4 week mark for their response time.

U Pitt send the email on Oct 29th. And I got the letter via snail mail.

Thanks for the update.

Hey SDNers,

I just got my first acceptance to Dartmouth. They sent it in around two weeks (I had a "completed app" on 11/12 and got my decision 11/30). Still waiting on a few schools.

Undergrad Tier + Major: 3.41, Bio major, Poli Sci minor
GRE (V)(A)(AWA): 580/720/4.5
GPA: 3.41
Other Relevant info (experience, etc.): Head of a volunteer program pioneering on improving resident communication, research in an Evolutionary Biology lab, research in a Pathology lab, done field research in Africa, student government staffer for 2 years, work experience etc. etc.

Acceptances (Funding): Dartmouth (need to find out about funding)
Rejections: None yet!
Still Waiting: Emory, UCLA, Yale, BU, Columbia, GWU, UC Berkeley, UW, SDSU

Does anyone know anything about the Dartmouth program? I'd love to find out more about it from a students point of view...or what any one has heard. I intend on applying to medical school afterwards as well so let me know who's out there!

Undergrad major: International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health
GPA: 3.3 (3.8 PH GPA)
GRE: 1340 (690V, 650Q, 4.0AWA)
Experience: 3 public health-related internships during college, but no extensive work experience

Accepted: Johns Hopkins MHS in Mental Health program :D (sorry, I know it's not an MPH, but close enough, right?). No funding (yet...).

Not applying anywhere else.

congrats, pickle! did Hopkins send you any emails about the status of your application before you were notified of your acceptance? I haven't heard anything yet...but my application was complete only as of 11/17, so I may just be a little overeager here, haha.

Hey pickle- congrats! May I ask when you submitted your application?

Thank you both!

I submitted my application on Oct. 30th. It was sent to the Mental Health Department for review on the November 6th. The decision was posted online on the 24th. They didn't notify me to check, I'd just been checking compulsively every day. I also received a letter in the mail on the 30th.

To which programs are you two applying? Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions!

I'm applying to the ScM in Epi program. So, you stalked the "Apply Yourself" web page for status updates?

Yeah, it's pretty addictive. Good luck! Hopefully you'll find out soon! :)

omg!! I got accepted into Hopkins for MPH! I'm so excited. I really thought being accepted into the mph program was a long shot for me because i don't have that advanced health background like MDs...

Thanks pickle88 for that post! I never would have thought to keep checking that page. I just assumed that I would be contacted, but I checked tonight and sure enough, there it was.

Yay! :D

So far that is two acceptances that were posted online without me even being notified about it. I think these admissions committees are trying to stretch out the torture as long as possible.

omg!! I got accepted into Hopkins for MPH! I'm so excited. I really thought being accepted into the mph program was a long shot for me because i don't have that advanced health background like MDs...

Thanks pickle88 for that post! I never would have thought to keep checking that page. I just assumed that I would be contacted, but I checked tonight and sure enough, there it was.

So far that is two acceptances that were posted online without me even being notified about it. I think these admissions committees are trying to stretch out the torture as long as possible.

Certainly a wonderful achievement - JHops must want a little bit of UTPH in their life.

Congrats :thumbup:

PS: UTPH, will you give us the scoop on what your timeline was?

pickle, utph.

Stellar! Congratulations

:bow:

Do you mind me asking your stats? I am still debating on whether or not I should apply. I am worried about the science requirement they have and if my grades are good enough.

Congrats, UTPH! Woo! I'm glad you checked online. I guess I'll see you around next year! So exciting!

And thanks, Werd :)

Congrats Guys! it would be great to hear the stats utph...for info on where emphasis lies during review.

UTPH already posted them in this thread on the 20th!

Stats:
GPA: 3.7 (BS in Biology, minor in Spanish, public health-related concentration, undergrad research)
GRE: 1310 (720Q,590V,5.0W)
Other experience: tons of health/medical volunteer exp, emt, taught english in france and spain, speak 4 languages, cytogenetic technologist, current research position in public health

Still waiting: Yale, UW, Michigan, Berkeley, UNC, JHU, Harvard, Columbia

Last edited:
Thanks guys! My stats are posted in this thread toward the beginning.

Frazier, I submitted my app 10/19. I can't remember exactly when my app was complete and sent for review...sometime early November.

utph,

was your acceptance notification on the main page of your apply yourself page (once you're logged in) or in the 'message center'? just wondering where to keep my eye out...thanks! :)

It's on the main page once you log in. The text where it says that your application has been sent for review.... - that will be replaced by 'decision is available by clicking on the link below..'.
My acceptance letter was in my mailbox just 3 days later so even if you neglect to look online, you'll find out soon enough either way.

Good luck!

Undergrad Tier + Major: Tier 1, Neuroscience major, psych minor
GRE (V)(A)(AWA): 460(48%)/720(75%)/4.5(63%)
GPA: 3.3
Other Relevant info (experience, etc.): applied for biostats/epi, research assistant for 2+ years in a brain imaging lab

Acceptances (Funding): GWU, BU (merit award), Yale, UMDNJ
Still Waiting: Emory, UCLA, Columbia, SUNY Albany

I decided to go to GWU

Congrats on all your acceptances qwerty524!

To which concentration did you apply for at Yale and when did they receive your application? How were you notified of your acceptance? I'm just curious because I got an email from them awhile ago about reviewing my app and am getting anxious!

I applied for the biostats concentration. They received my application around mid October and I was notified by snail mail just today.

Acceptances (Funding): GWU, BU (merit award), Yale, UMDNJ
Still Waiting: Emory, UCLA, Columbia, SUNY Albany

I decided to go to GWU

Qwerty524,
Congrats on your acceptances! I was wondering when you were accepted to GWU did you find out your funding immediately? What is your concentration, Epi? What did you like so much about GWU to choose it before hearing back from other schools? GWU is one of my top schools but I won't be able to visit in time so am looking for as much info as possible.

Thanks!

I didn't get any funding from GW, but found out immediately from BU. I applied fro Epi to GW. I really like GW because of the location - there are more types of jobs to choose from in DC, so that I'm not forced to remain in academia.

I just appeared for the GRE today and scored 620V and 740 Q and my AWA is awaited.I guess I shouldn't wait for my AWA results ...I expect a 3 or 4 max..i am too bad at writing and I am a international applicant with M.B.B.S(M.D equivalent with 3.1 GPA)

Can some body plz advice me where all should I apply and in what order..as time is running out...my sophas application is complete minus my official GRE scores...I really do not have priorities for universities or any location in USA as I am an international applicant...I was soleley going by US news rankings...but it seems some universities offer admissions early....

IS BU giving out admissions for spring or fall...has fall admissions already been offered..i thought they were not rolling..

anyway guyz plz help...

Those of you waiting to hear back from Emory, I applied in the last cycle and received my acceptance in February. So be patient!!
And btw, Emory rockssss!! Plus, our brand new multi-million dollar public health facilities/building opens in May! :D YAYYY
February?!? I can't wait that long!
When did you send your app in? In my your-applicaiton-is-complete email, they said it would take approx. 3-6 weeks to make a decision.

I read the same thing.
I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I will probably hear half in January/half Feb.
I'm just hoping to get something from somewhere early January. I need one acceptance to make me feel better :)