AMCAS: Where to place past and recent classes in academic ranking/year taken?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfrider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I complete the AMCAS application section of classes taken per term when I have a huge time gap with some classes taken 15-20 years ago and many more taken recently within the past 4 years? Specifically, what classes taken during my senior, Junior, Soph, and Freshman years? I completed 4 years, 124 units recently from 2006-2009 to complete dual B.S. degrees and dual minors, but I also took 60 units of general ed classes over a 3 year period 15-20 years ago. I'm not sure how to place this gap in education on a timeline in reference to the standard 4 year class/term ranking system. I understand to state the most recent classes taken but my recent 124 units completed, already fill up the standard 4 year, 15-18 units per semester taken category of senior/junior/soph/fresh. Where do I put my former classes taken? Thanks for your advice. I'll recheck the AMCAS help and call if needed. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

How do I complete the AMCAS application section of classes taken per term
There isn't such a section.

I started college in 1984 and had no problems with entering coursework. My 2010 AMCAS PDF is 18 pages long.

You can start a 2010 AMCAS app, and not submit it, if you want to get a feel for the system.

Best of luck to you.

Oh, do you mean assigning fresh/soph/etc? Yeah, that gets messy.

I have mixed semester/quarter system transcripts that made this impossible, but it still doesn't matter I don't think. After a first year on the semester system at one school I did a semester at another, and then started over on the quarter system at another school. Do you see a sophomore year in there? I don't. On my current AMCAS they changed it to show the 3rd semester as more freshman units, and started my sophomore year 18 months in. My senior year ended up being about 3 years long, and I have over 20 years in postbac.

The instructions say to slice things at 30 semester or 45 quarter units, and/but realistically you can just slice things by the year. How this comes out in the wash is that they do a per-year GPA breakdown, overall/sci/non-sci. Like me, your postbac breakdown will be many times fatter than any other line.

So, this is going to feel like you're highlighting your 2.5 years, but it is what it is, and your app is going to be so long, and in a pile so high, that nobody is going to give it as much attention as you do (until late late late in the process when you get questioned about it).

Best of luck to you.

I had some issues in putting in the coursework from my 8 years as well! :D I did it the best I could following their directions, but then AMCAS changed it all anyway.

My advice is to try and follow the rules that they have in place, but don't worry too much because it will all get reviewed and they can change it if they want to!

Good luck!