What's a typical funding offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to receive an offer of admission this cycle, and am curious what is "the norm" in regards to funding.

Besides a general teaching assistant position/stipend, the current offer includes a tuition remission that doesn't quite total to 100%. This basically means that I have to pay about $700/semester.

Is that pretty typical or....?

(any and all advice would be appreciated.)

Members don't see this ad.

Really just depends on the program. There isn't a typical.

I was fortunate enough to receive an offer of admission this cycle, and am curious what is "the norm" in regards to funding.

Besides a general teaching assistant position/stipend, the current offer includes a tuition remission that doesn't quite total to 100%. This basically means that I have to pay about $700/semester.

And, the amount of the stipend can vary considerably. . . .

Members don't see this ad :)

As said above, there isn't a typical, but that seems like a pretty fair offer. $700 a semester is a drop in the bucket provided the TA position pays fairly decently. It's supposed to offset the bulk of your costs, not all of them, rare is the program where you make out like a bandit. There are a few, very few, programs that offer really fantastic packages... but that's the exception rather than the rule. Also the costs associated with where your program is makes a huge difference.

For instance civilian USUHS students get full remission (everything) plus a $29k stipend, but when you add in the cost of living in the DC metro area, it's not any better than anywhere else for the most part... but it certainly is competitive.

Mark

When I applied I didnt even think that schools will have funding available... I was wondering how I would know what a school will offer. Is it only PhDs or do PsyDs offer it too? Is it only the really competitive places that are more research oriented, or do they all do it?? At this point its too late to search out other places but I was just wondering...

When I applied I didnt even think that schools will have funding available... I was wondering how I would know what a school will offer. Is it only PhDs or do PsyDs offer it too? Is it only the really competitive places that are more research oriented, or do they all do it?? At this point its too late to search out other places but I was just wondering...

Most Ph.D. programs will offer guaranteed funding for at least your first year, while most Psy.D. programs will not (one reason why Ph.D. programs have a lower acceptance rate--more applicants applying for fewer available slots/funding positions). As others have said, the amount of this funding can vary considerably. My school provides a full tuition waiver (although this does not cover university-required fees) and approximately $14k/year for most assistantship slots, for example.

The easiest way to find out is to ask the program itself. Heck, most of the schools at which I interviewed (way back when) provided this information on a handout at the beginning of interview day.

From what I can tell, it's pretty standard to have some sort of student fees that aren't covered and to also require that you pay a tiny amount of your health insurance costs. If you get multiple offers and want to compare stipends you can find cost of living calculators online that will help you compare how much your stipend is worth depending on the cost of living of the city you would live in. $14K is not much money if you're living in Boston but in a smaller Midwestern city you could live in a reasonable amount of comfort.

Like others say, fees are definitely common, and $700 is not bad. I agree with what others said about how to compare offers. Keep in mind also the term of your funding offer. $14k for 12 months is a lot different than $14 for 9 months where you have the opportunity to find summer funding to add to the pot.

I'd describe full funding packages as ranging from 14-25k/ 9months, full tuition paid, sometimes including health insurance, sometimes not.

If there's higher, I haven't heard of it. Any lower than those numbers I wouldn't consider to be fully funded.

I'd describe full funding packages as ranging from 14-25k/ 9months, full tuition paid, sometimes including health insurance, sometimes not.

If there's higher, I haven't heard of it. Any lower than those numbers I wouldn't consider to be fully funded.

hm not true at all actually, its all based on COL index etc... aside from living plushy why would anyone need more than 10k in a state like Nebraska?

Ultimately psych stipends = crap compared to other science programs.

True. I didn't consider that I was only looking at east coast cities. Thanks for correcting.

hm not true at all actually, its all based on COL index etc... aside from living plushy why would anyone need more than 10k in a state like Nebraska?

well in the fairness of correcting myself as well, I meant COLA not COL, :( sorries

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, unfortunately, that makes sense. The big money grants tend to go to the "hard" sciences, engineering, and technology.

Also, I think a $10,000 stipend, even in Nebraska, is a bit low to be considered fully funded. Maybe you're planning to have a roommate or are willing to live in the cheapest housing. Yes, Nebraska's COLA is cheaper than the east coast, but it still is going to run on average at least $500/ month, which would then only leave you with $4000 for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, unfortunately, that makes sense. The big money grants tend to go to the "hard" sciences, engineering, and technology.

Also, I think a $10,000 stipend, even in Nebraska, is a bit low to be considered fully funded. Maybe you're planning to have a roommate or are willing to live in the cheapest housing. Yes, Nebraska's COLA is cheaper than the east coast, but it still is going to run on average at least $500/ month, which would then only leave you with $4000 for the rest of the year.

Well so Nebraska is 11k, plus additional summer options, I agree its weak, but mathematically I feel that all clinical programs work out to be pretty harsh... in my opinion, any program that covers tuition, has a stipend, medical etc is fully funded, just might not be glamerous funding lol

Well so Nebraska is 11k, plus additional summer options, I agree its weak, but mathematically I feel that all clinical programs work out to be pretty harsh... in my opinion, any program that covers tuition, has a stipend, medical etc is fully funded, just might not be glamerous funding lol

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I wouldn't take that offer. I am just certain that I would have to take out at least a couple thousand dollars extra in student loans (each year) to supplement that stipend.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I wouldn't take that offer. I am just certain that I would have to take out at least a couple thousand dollars extra in student loans (each year) to supplement that stipend.

Agreed, definitely agreed, any school I have seen, even the "top notch" programs would probably require some loans... which sucks...

Agreed, definitely agreed, any school I have seen, even the "top notch" programs would probably require some loans... which sucks...

Well, empathiosis seems to be doing okay. : )

That's amazing! To be able to live on that amount in the northeast--absolutely amazing. I thought I was good with money, but empathiosis
clearly has me beat. : )

I had some interviews. One school guarantees $11k (plus summer options), one school nothing is guaranteed, and at another program $20-22k. All fully waived tuition and covered health care... Some students indicated that they liked the 2nd program so much that they turned down funded offers at other schools... I thought it was crazy. :)

I posted this on another thread as well but it is probably more appropriate here (sorry for doubling up!). Are academic stipends taxable? How is this determined? I'm trying to determine what kind of budget I would be living on with the stipend I've been offered. Thanks for your help!

I posted this on another thread as well but it is probably more appropriate here (sorry for doubling up!). Are academic stipends taxable? How is this determined? I'm trying to determine what kind of budget I would be living on with the stipend I've been offered. Thanks for your help!

I think it depends. If you have received a funding offer, I would just ask them whether or not it is taxed.

I had some interviews. One school guarantees $11k (plus summer options), one school nothing is guaranteed, and at another program $20-22k. All fully waived tuition and covered health care... Some students indicated that they liked the 2nd program so much that they turned down funded offers at other schools... I thought it was crazy. :)

Which program did you prefer? If I prefered the school that does not guarantee funding, I would attend that school as long as it had a long history of actually funding the vast majority of its students.

I've received an acceptance and financial aid package including full tuition and fee remission. The 20hr/week RA/TA stipend is worth $12,000 for 9 months (for 4 years). I think this is pretty good.

My question is whether there is any negotiating I can do. Can I ask for a higher amount? Or do I just take it then apply for grants and fellowships?

I've received an acceptance and financial aid package including full tuition and fee remission. The 20hr/week RA/TA stipend is worth $12,000 for 9 months (for 4 years). I think this is pretty good.

My question is whether there is any negotiating I can do. Can I ask for a higher amount? Or do I just take it then apply for grants and fellowships?

I would definitely negotiate!! Once they have given you an offer, it's yours... they can't take it back. What do you have to lose? Have you received other offers yet? If they're better, then tell them what you've been offered at other schools. If they say they don't think they can get you more, before you get off the phone, have them at least promise they'll inquire about more on your behalf. OF COURSE... don't be a dick about it. You don't want to piss off your future mentor... but I feel like it's a completely legitimate thing to inquire about. I say go for the gold and ask for more. They chose you over their other applicants, so they want you.

Congrats on your funding offer. I think it sounds pretty good too.

I think this is a good question. For those who are already doctoral students, what do you think? Should one negotiate for more funding?

I think this is a good question. For those who are already doctoral students, what do you think? Should one negotiate for more funding?

Definitely negotiate if you have a better funding offer from another school. Schools often have extra money for this sort of thing. It may be more difficult to negotiate if you don't have a competing offer, though you could still try.

Definitely negotiate if you have a better funding offer from another school. Schools often have extra money for this sort of thing. It may be more difficult to negotiate if you don't have a competing offer, though you could still try.

i agree completely

Are you kidding?? Take it AND RUN!! LOL!

Just kidding but really, for those of us who have the tough choice of "110% fit but questionable, really questionable, financial aid" that sounds like the freakin' dream :)) Sidebar: I am totally going to that school if I get accepted but its always good to know what you're getting into.

So, I guess the next question is this: How do you go about negotiating a higher offer? Just ask? And what about when they say "if a grant gets funded, there may be more money." Like I've heard before, nothing is official until it's in writing, but I don't want to piss off a potential future mentor.

I have one offer at $24,000 (12 months) in a city that is considerably cheaper to live in than another offer (at a school I like more) in a much more expensive place, which is at $15,000 (9 months) with likely summer funding of an additional $3000. I also just turned down an offer for $20,000 ... maybe from a negotiation standpoint, I shouldn't have done that, but I knew there was no way I was going to go there.

I've personally never heard of people negotiating for more funding in doctoral programs, but that might be largely because I've never asked. I know in my program, things are pretty much set in stone by the university based on department/area of study, although there's a bit more wiggle room if you're on a grant or externship for funding vs. an assistantship.

So, I guess the next question is this: How do you go about negotiating a higher offer? Just ask? And what about when they say "if a grant gets funded, there may be more money." Like I've heard before, nothing is official until it's in writing, but I don't want to piss off a potential future mentor.

I have one offer at $24,000 (12 months) in a city that is considerably cheaper to live in than another offer (at a school I like more) in a much more expensive place, which is at $15,000 (9 months) with likely summer funding of an additional $3000. I also just turned down an offer for $20,000 ... maybe from a negotiation standpoint, I shouldn't have done that, but I knew there was no way I was going to go there.

I think a good way to start is like this:

"I really like your program, and it's the program I am most interested in attending; however, XXX University has offered me a substantially larger financial package at $XX,XXX. This is a great institution as well, and I feel that my quality of life in graduate school is important. Such a large package will definitely help to ease my mind and help me focus on my work. I was hoping that because you're my number one program that maybe there was a way that you could possibly come closer to this number. Even if you can't match their financial package, maybe there is a chance you can somehow find some funding to match theirs.."

Something like that... ALSO it's really good if you have the competing offers in writing so they don't think you're just trying to hustle them... (even though you kind of are).

I REALLY want to try to bargain for more! However, I've already verbally agreed to accept an offer (before an FA package was discussed) so I'm afraid I'll seem like a jerk. Maybe I'll just say something like, "I appreciate the financial aid package, but I'm wondering if additional or increased funding is available."

Does that sound okay? Even if they say no, I'll always know that I at least tried.

"I really like your program, and it's the program I am most interested in attending; however, XXX University has offered me a substantially larger financial package at $XX,XXX. This is a great institution as well, and I feel that my quality of life in graduate school is important. Such a large package will definitely help to ease my mind and help me focus on my work. I was hoping that because you're my number one program that maybe there was a way that you could possibly come closer to this number. Even if you can't match their financial package, maybe there is a chance you can somehow find some funding to match theirs.."

Something like that... ALSO it's really good if you have the competing offers in writing so they don't think you're just trying to hustle them... (even though you kind of are).

I REALLY want to try to bargain for more! However, I've already verbally agreed to accept an offer (before an FA package was discussed) so I'm afraid I'll seem like a jerk. Maybe I'll just say something like, "I appreciate the financial aid package, but I'm wondering if additional or increased funding is available."

Does that sound okay? Even if they say no, I'll always know that I at least tried.

Honestly, bargaining after acceptance is harder to do. You've already entered a binding contract at what they've offered you, ya know? But I don't think asking for more is going to hurt you. Just mention that you wonder if there is any additional funding available through the department or the graduate school. Maybe there are fellowships you may qualify for at the university. Maybe they can scramble some extra funds available for you. Who knows! Most people don't try and bargain. If you're the only one that asks, and they do have some available, you never know! They may offer you more.

Thanks, that sounds great and helps a lot. I shall try my luck out and see what happens. Thanks again!

Has anyone actually been successful at negotiating more money? I see a couple of people on here mentioned wanting to or trying, but has it worked for anyone? Thanks!!!

How long does it usually take to receive the official letter with the funding offer after you receive a verbal or e-mail acceptance? I received an offer of admissions phone call on March 3rd, but I haven't gotten the official letter yet. I'm sure it's nothing to be stressing about at this point, but I'm definitely going to accept ASAP so I guess I'm just ready to get this show on the road!

How long does it usually take to receive the official letter with the funding offer after you receive a verbal or e-mail acceptance? I received an offer of admissions phone call on March 3rd, but I haven't gotten the official letter yet. I'm sure it's nothing to be stressing about at this point, but I'm definitely going to accept ASAP so I guess I'm just ready to get this show on the road!

It took three weeks for me to get a funding offer from one program. The other program took just under two weeks. It seems to totally depend on the program. I was told that the first offer was held up due to confusion about undergraduate tuition rates...